GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Mindful MBA

November 13, 2018

November 13, 2018

12:00 PM AST

01:00 PM AST

Join us Nov. 13, 12 PM ET for the Mindfulness Series, Fall 2018 - Energize. The final session of a three-part series.
  • 4 Steps to a 5 Star Recommendation

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Nov. 14, 9 AM PST. Donna Bauman, Senior MBA Admissions Counselor and Lisa Cummings, MBA Admissions Counselor at Stratus have read tens of THOUSANDS of MBA recommendations during their time on top MBA admissions committees.

Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 06:30
MBADecoder wrote:
izulman wrote:
Hi,
Izzy here from Malaysia. Would appreciate an evaluation for my profile to get into Tuck.
I have over 7 years of work experience in Telco, Tech and Media industry.

Background
Born with 14 siblings and a deaf brother.
Challenging upbringing, a rural boy who went against odd received a government scholarship to pursue tertiary education in Australia.
Travelled across South East Asia, Central Asia and Europe across 15 countries.
Have been in the technology domain developing and launching digital services in the country.
Aspire to contribute back & advance South East Asia by spearheading initiatives on digital gov through cohesive policy planning, implementation and effective communication to public citizens.

Degree: Bc of Commerce (Accounting & Finance), The University of Sydney, Distinction (3.58 CGPA equivalent)

Ranked #1 in Management Accounting A and ranked #2 in Audit & Assurance

Professional Qualification: CFA charterholder
GMAT: 720 (Q47, V41)

Work Experience
6 years (including one year secondment in digital commerce co) in a large telecommunication company in Malaysia, presence in over 7 countries and 250 million subscribers
- Launched JVCo for a digital commerce co in Malaysia, become largest locally owned eCommerce site in Malaysia
- Built foundation for digital payment in Malaysia, stake acquisition in remittance co and setup of an emerging digital payment co in Malaysia
- Top 50 of 12,000 employees, youngest recipient for a regional employee award at the age of 26

Currently (1 year) in the largest public listed media company in Malaysia with USD1.5 billion in revenue
- Oversaw USD15 million of core digital transformation across supply chain and customer facing business units
- Conceptualised and developed 2 Center of Excellence (CoE) for business efficiencies, expected long term 3-year savings over USD3 million
- Among youngest Assistant Vice President (AVP) in the company at the age of 29

Extra curricular activities
Mentor and advisor for Peneraju foundation, a government backed set up to spur number of CFA charterholders in Malaysia
Advisor and volunteer for Young CEO Development Programme, an initiative to groom future leaders in the country

Short term goal
Join Mckinsey Center of Government or BCG Center of Public Impacts and work on public sector initiatives globally and across the region

Long term goal
Lead Government Performance Delivery Unit to drive agenda on government transformation

Feedbacks and responses are highly appreciated.

Hi Izulman,
I find your profile quite competitive for the top programs such as Tuck. I see that you were present on the forum even last year and have managed to increase your GMAt score to 720. A more competitive GMAT score and a solid application will be the key to admissions.
Now I see a lot of achievements and impact in your profile. You have also worked on some strategically important projects for your companies, which is great exposure and something adcoms desire in applicants. Every b-school wants to be assured that you, the MBA student, will contribute to their class. Your contributions will be most valuable when your experiences are rich and have depth. In the application, you will need to communicate these experiences in the most impressive way via your essays, resume and recos.
Looking at your career goals, I am not sure where they come from. They are probably an offshoot from your volunteering experience. However, I have a word of caution here. You have rich experience in the TMT sector. Why would you not leverage that in your career goals? And why do you need an MBA for the goals stated above? Last year your goals were around product management. This year they are around working with the government. May I ask why is there such a big change? I fear you are trying to stand out with differentiated career goals, but that's never a good strategy unless you really believe in these and can convince the adcom through the work you have done in this space, that these are not fanciful goals.
I could have suggestions for b-schools, but those would depend largely on where you wish to work post MBA.

Hi,
Thanks for the response. You are right, I have been trying to push my GMAT. I also have had some soul searching along the process on what I truly believe in as my goal in life. As you have pointed out, my goal last time was on tech product management, but while I have had years of experience (7 years+) in TMT and given my volunteering experiences over the past years, I realised I am also able to leverage on my skill sets building digital businesses and media to carve a career path in digital government, something dear to my heart. South East Asia (SEA) is a growing region and one of the fundamental areas to be improved is on digital government and public sector delivery. Based on my earlier research, sectors such as Education, Labour market in 21st Century and Healthcare really require a lot of fundamental change in terms of policy, process and general management.

I personally never thought of standing out from the crowd, but I merely wanted to present the truest long term goal that I myself believe in and I could think of many different ways an MBA program going to help me accelerate my knowledge and competencies within this specific area (including lessons on public policies, negotiations, general management on public sector etc.) on top of my current knowledge in TMT. I am also well aware of my years of experience, which makes me relatively an older candidate and I might not be able to justify myself being in the same domain I have been in and feeling the needs to go to a business school.

I am still discussing this long term goal with my close friends to gain more insights and to truly understand whether this would be my true call, and I appreciate your every thought in the matter. I was honestly surprised that you would remember me.

Thanks again for the response.

Regards,
Izul
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Ross '22
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 17:45
GMAT: 750
GPA: 3.5
Major: Engineering (hard one)
Undergrad: US News Top 30
W/E: F500 company in an R&D role in the US (4 years)
ECA: Decent (not spectacular)
Post MBA Goal: MBB or FAANG
Demographic: Asian Male (not Indian/Chinese)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 20:28
Can you please evaluate my profile for TUCK.
Nationality: India

Education:

Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India
Bachelor of Technology in Marine Engineering, (CGPA 8.44/10)

Business experience
Scorpio Ship Management, Mumbai, India
A New York Stock Exchange listed and one of the largest and youngest product tanker owned shipping company.

Marine Engineer Officer
• Led multi-national work-teams in critical, time constraint and challenging environment in nearly 20 countries.
• Managed ship’s stock of fuel and lubricating oil worth $3M.
• Procured fuel by acting as primary liaison between fuel traders, government officials, and internal engineers, efforts resulting in 100% quality compliance rate of bi-weekly $240K fuel transfer.
• Maintained an inventory of spares worth $0.9M.
• Facilitated audits with key stakeholders to demonstrate operational capabilities, safety standards of machinery and regulatory compliance (emissions and effluent discharge). Stakeholders included Lloyd's Register and American Bureau of Shipping

Maersk Tankers, Singapore
A global shipping conglomerate with net worth of $21Billion and 90,000 employees.

Assistant Marine Engineer
• Team member of the 10 yearly, $2 Million Dry-Dock Project in China.
• Optimization of resources and evaluation of energy efficiency and preparation of Logs and Technical Reports for engineering management.
• Organized safety observation meetings, improving overall awareness and facilitating communication in a multi-national crew, achieving safe and efficient tanker operations.
• Managed day to day operations of three junior crew members and oversaw technical training.

Additional information

• Achievements All India TMISAT 2011 Topper (1st out of 8000 candidates), Scholarship holder for 7 semesters for excelling in academics and extracurricular activities in BITS, Pilani (top 10% of the class of 240 Cadets) , Maersk Line scholarship for performing exceptionally well on Ship (Top 15% in a fleet of over 786 ships and employees from 116 countries), Title of Divisional Cadet Captain (DCC) for my Institute, responsible for organizing Cultural, Sports events and implementing Discipline and Anti-Ragging measures (top 6% out of 240 Cadets).

• Prof qualifications 2G and 6G welding certificate awarded by Lloyds Register, England, Personal Safety and Social Responsibility, Personal Survival Techniques, Advanced Oil Tanker Course, Advanced Fire Fighting, Medical First Aid, High Voltage Course, Advanced Chemical Tanker Course, Proficiency In Survival Craft And Rescue Boats.

• Interests Crowd funding campaigns, Educational drives, Cricket, Photography and writing articles.
Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 11:22
Prashant13 wrote:

Education:

Business experience
A New York Stock Exchange listed and one of the largest and youngest product tanker owned shipping company.

Marine Engineer Officer
• Led multi-national work-teams in critical, time constraint and challenging environment in nearly 20 countries.
• Procured fuel by acting as primary liaison between fuel traders, government officials, and internal engineers, efforts resulting in 100% quality compliance rate of bi-weekly $240K fuel transfer.
• Facilitated audits with key stakeholders to demonstrate operational capabilities, safety standards of machinery and regulatory compliance (emissions and effluent discharge). Stakeholders included Lloyd's Register and American Bureau of Shipping

A global shipping conglomerate with net worth of $21Billion and 90,000 employees.

• Optimization of resources and evaluation of energy efficiency and preparation of Logs and Technical Reports for engineering management.
• Organized safety observation meetings, improving overall awareness and facilitating communication in a multi-national crew, achieving safe and efficient tanker operations.
• Managed day to day operations of three junior crew members and oversaw technical training.

Additional information

• Achievements All India TMISAT 2011 Topper (1st out of 8000 candidates), Scholarship holder for 7 semesters for excelling in academics and extracurricular activities in BITS, Pilani (top 10% of the class of 240 Cadets) , Maersk Line scholarship for performing exceptionally well on Ship (Top 15% in a fleet of over 786 ships and employees from 116 countries), Title of Divisional Cadet Captain (DCC) for my Institute, responsible for organizing Cultural, Sports events and implementing Discipline and Anti-Ragging measures (top 6% out of 240 Cadets).

• Prof qualifications 2G and 6G welding certificate awarded by Lloyds Register, England, Personal Safety and Social Responsibility, Personal Survival Techniques, Advanced Oil Tanker Course, Advanced Fire Fighting, Medical First Aid, High Voltage Course, Advanced Chemical Tanker Course, Proficiency In Survival Craft And Rescue Boats.

• Interests Crowd funding campaigns, Educational drives, Cricket, Photography and writing articles.

Hello Prashant,
Your achievements and undergrad scores are good. However, we are missing some information here- what is your GMAT ( I guess you have not taken it, but think of a 740+ to check mark this beastly box). Also, why do you want to do an MBA? what are your post MBA goals and is there any specific reason you are thinking about Tuck?

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 11:30
MBADecoder wrote:
Prashant13 wrote:

Education:

Business experience

Marine Engineer Officer

Additional information

Hello Prashant,
Your achievements and undergrad scores are good. However, we are missing some information here- what is your GMAT ( I guess you have not taken it, but think of a 740+ to check mark this beastly box). Also, why do you want to do an MBA? what are your post MBA goals and is there any specific reason you are thinking about Tuck?

Hi MBADecoder,
1. I am about to take GMAT in January 2019 and aiming nothing less than 740-750.

2. Post MBA Goals
Short term : To work in the financial service industry preferably in Insurance and Investment
Long term : To startup a financial service company for the professionals and skilled workers belonging to the high risk industries.

3. Why Tuck : Because of it’s small class size, location, strong alumni bond, programs like onsite global consulting and good percentage of placements in financial services.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here &nbs [#permalink] 02 Nov 2018, 11:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 45 posts ] 

Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: tvpwc, AUSJ

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap