GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 19:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 07:44
Could you kindly review my profile for the 2019-2020 admission cycle?
I apologize for the very lengthy post.

My profile/stats:

* 28 this year, Southeast Asian (Chinese) based in Singapore
* GMAT: 710 (Q49, V36, IR7); first "blind" attempt; will be looking aiming for 750-770.
* GPA: 3.1/4.0; one of the top colleges/target schools in Singapore, this is my primary concern
* No. of WE: 3 years as of now (started upon graduation in May 2016).
>> Spent 1 year in the wealth management division (front office sales) of a tier1 US bank
>> Was a top performer and earmarked for promotion at the end of the year
>> However, I have always wanted to work in financial markets. Hence, I left for a tier2 investment bank after 1 year of cold calling
>> Joined on contract. Performance was good and they created a headcount for me after 1 year.
>> Got promoted to senior analyst in my 2nd year. Given additional responsibilities to cover 2 sets of clients (essentially 2 men's job)

* Extracurricular activities during college:
>> Elected into student office during college. Initiated and led various signature events
>> Part of a major band in school. Invited for various paid gigs and even overseas performances
>> Took part in various case competitions and overseas study trips

* Extracurricular activities post-college:
>> Part of the same alumni band
>> Part of an alumni mentoring circle
>> Volunteers in a church - mentoring younger boys
>> Freelance as a wedding pianist

Post MBA goals:
* Short/medium term - consulting with MBB with a focus on public sector/government or financial services (am not fully certain on the focus to be very honest) in the US. I plan to stay in the US for a few years. Alternatively, I'd be happy to explore options in general management/strategy. I believe all my short term goals are realistic with a T15 MBA.
* Long term - I am not looking to start any company or join a VC/HF/PE. I personally believe I am better suited to working in a large corporate. Hence, I am looking for longevity within the mgmt consulting firm or move into a strategy/COO role in the public sector/financial services.

I would like to have an immersive experience at school. Smaller size would be a plus, not a must. Would like a place with a heavy focus on teamwork and collaboration. Strength in general management will be a plus.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2019, 13:27
Hi there, and thanks for writing! I'm glad that you're taking the GMAT again, since you're applying from a competitive demographic and need to offset your GPA. Other than that, you have progressive work experience and meaningful extracurricular involvement, which benefit your profile. In your application, it'll be necessary to explain the motivations behind your goals - why do you want to do consulting at an MBB, and what experiences have shaped that decision? You'll also want to make it clear why Tuck is a good fit for you based on its culture and resources, which will require thoroughly researching the program and speaking to as many students/alumni as possible. If you can do that effectively then I think you'll be a viable candidate. Best of luck!

ratesman wrote:
Could you kindly review my profile for the 2019-2020 admission cycle?
I apologize for the very lengthy post.

My profile/stats:

* 28 this year, Southeast Asian (Chinese) based in Singapore
* GMAT: 710 (Q49, V36, IR7); first "blind" attempt; will be looking aiming for 750-770.
* GPA: 3.1/4.0; one of the top colleges/target schools in Singapore, this is my primary concern
* No. of WE: 3 years as of now (started upon graduation in May 2016).
>> Spent 1 year in the wealth management division (front office sales) of a tier1 US bank
>> Was a top performer and earmarked for promotion at the end of the year
>> However, I have always wanted to work in financial markets. Hence, I left for a tier2 investment bank after 1 year of cold calling
>> Joined on contract. Performance was good and they created a headcount for me after 1 year.
>> Got promoted to senior analyst in my 2nd year. Given additional responsibilities to cover 2 sets of clients (essentially 2 men's job)

* Extracurricular activities during college:
>> Elected into student office during college. Initiated and led various signature events
>> Part of a major band in school. Invited for various paid gigs and even overseas performances
>> Took part in various case competitions and overseas study trips

* Extracurricular activities post-college:
>> Part of the same alumni band
>> Part of an alumni mentoring circle
>> Volunteers in a church - mentoring younger boys
>> Freelance as a wedding pianist

Post MBA goals:
* Short/medium term - consulting with MBB with a focus on public sector/government or financial services (am not fully certain on the focus to be very honest) in the US. I plan to stay in the US for a few years. Alternatively, I'd be happy to explore options in general management/strategy. I believe all my short term goals are realistic with a T15 MBA.
* Long term - I am not looking to start any company or join a VC/HF/PE. I personally believe I am better suited to working in a large corporate. Hence, I am looking for longevity within the mgmt consulting firm or move into a strategy/COO role in the public sector/financial services.

I would like to have an immersive experience at school. Smaller size would be a plus, not a must. Would like a place with a heavy focus on teamwork and collaboration. Strength in general management will be a plus.

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 03:57
Background and nationality 24 year old Indian male
Chartered accountant- completed all the course levels in first attempt. The course has a single digits success rate.
GMAT: 770 (Q 51 V 44)
Work experience and leadership:
2 years of work experience.
working with Ernst and Young in the assurance department.Lead a team of 4 to 5 interns and report to the manager. Involved in planning and execution of audit of multinational clients.
Community and others : currently involved in mentoring and guiding the underprivileged children.
Post MBA goals

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 11:17
Hi makshay62,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Also, congrats on a 770 GMAT score! That's wonderful.

Before we can provide an evaluation of your profile, can you share information about your undergraduate degree and your performance there? Also, what are your post-MBA goals?

If you prefer a detailed conversation offline, please reach out.

makshay62 wrote:
Background and nationality 24 year old Indian male
Chartered accountant- completed all the course levels in first attempt. The course has a single digits success rate.
GMAT: 770 (Q 51 V 44)
2 years of work experience.
working with Ernst and Young in the assurance department.Lead a team of 4 to 5 interns and report to the manager. Involved in planning and execution of audit of multinational clients.
Community and others : currently involved in mentoring and guiding the underprivileged children.
Post MBA goals

Posted from my mobile device

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q167 V164
GPA: 3.01
Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 19:05
Hi all,

Been going to admissions events recently, and it looks like Tuck is the best "Fit" for me from the students and alumni I've interacted with. Would love a profile evaluation!
Background
Work Experience: 1-year analyst, 2 years associate manager, 1.5 years program manager (at matriculation) at F500 entertainment company. Fairly niche / emerging market
Postgrad Extracurriculars: 2 years as a board member for a local nonprofit focused on serving children. 3 years as a youth mentor for a yearly high school leadership seminar. Volunteered in East Asia for a year working with grade school students.
Undergrad Extracurriculars: 3 years as founder/ president of local video game club. 2 years in student government working with on-campus clubs. 1 year as treasurer for professional fraternity.
Other Education / Coursework: Nonprofit Management Certificate at UC Extension
Race / Nationality : White
Sex: Male

----

Stats
GMAT Score: 750 (49Q/44V)
GRE Score: 331 (167Q/164V)
Undergrad GPA: 3.01 Chemical Engineering at state school

----

Goal of MBA: Really been digging deep the past few months and realized in my heart I love building communities. Want to continue to do so in a brand management/product marketing position for gaming /esports (Think Riot Games)

----

Planning to apply during R1 and would love some help setting expectations about whether Tuck is a good target. Relatively insecure about GPA going into this process - had a 3.5 first 2 years and a 2.5 last 2 years once I realized my degree was irrelevant for my current career.

Thanks all (=
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 23:37
Rookstar5 wrote:
Hi all,

Been going to admissions events recently, and it looks like Tuck is the best "Fit" for me from the students and alumni I've interacted with. Would love a profile evaluation!
Background
Work Experience: 1-year analyst, 2 years associate manager, 1.5 years program manager (at matriculation) at F500 entertainment company. Fairly niche / emerging market
Postgrad Extracurriculars: 2 years as a board member for a local nonprofit focused on serving children. 3 years as a youth mentor for a yearly high school leadership seminar. Volunteered in East Asia for a year working with grade school students.
Undergrad Extracurriculars: 3 years as founder/ president of local video game club. 2 years in student government working with on-campus clubs. 1 year as treasurer for professional fraternity.
Other Education / Coursework: Nonprofit Management Certificate at UC Extension
Race / Nationality : White

----

Stats
GMAT Score: 750 (49Q/44V)
GRE Score: 331 (167Q/164V)
Undergrad GPA: 3.01 Chemical Engineering at state school

----

Goal of MBA: Really been digging deep the past few months and realized in my heart I love building communities. Want to continue to do so in a brand management/product marketing position for gaming /esports (Think Riot Games)

----

Planning to apply during R1 and would love some help setting expectations about whether Tuck is a good target. Relatively insecure about GPA going into this process - had a 3.5 first 2 years and a 2.5 last 2 years once I realized my degree was irrelevant for my current career.

Thanks all (=

During your visit, were you able to talk to students/ admissions teams and identify the companies/ jobs you are targeting? That would be an important factor given that media industry represents a small percentage on the b-school employment reports. from this perspective, also consider Wharton and the west coast MBA programs (UCLA, Haas).

Your GPA is not much you can do about now, so present your best applications. Perhaps take the MBA MAth course, Tuck in any case has a requirement that you complete the course before you matriculate, so you may as well do it now. And ofcourse, you have a solid GMAT, that should help as well.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 07:49
Hello there. Could you kindly give your insights on my profile for Tuck MBA?

I plan to apply MBA at Tuck in 2020, 1st round - hopefully marticulating in 2021.

Background and nationality: Born and raised in Indonesia.

Age and gender: 26, female.

Undergrad Information: I graduated from a local private university in my country, majored in finance, with 3.8 GPA (3rd highest in my batch). Usually got an A for quant subjects.

GMAT: 690 (Q49, V34, IR6) - consistent with all of my mock tests scores

- Started as an intern in a corporate banking division of a British multinational bank.
- Sponsored and selected as one of the management associates for 1,5 years.
- Deployed and got an early promotion to be an Associate in Custody and Fund Management Services, been almost 1 year now. I am the project manager mostly for:
1) New overseas global banks/fund houses that want to invest in my country.
2) Local fund houses that want to invest both in my country and overseas.
I work intensively with Clients basically to ensure their infrastructures, channels, and all of their requirements are fulfilled in order for them to invest. The arrangements include the securities type, account structure, legal documentations, our service coverage, channels etc.
My role is very Client-facing and involves a lot of working across divisions (e.g. Legal, Product, Operations). Though I don’t have anyone reporting to me yet, my roles require a lot of people management skill because we need to make everyone works together to achieve smooth delivery in every project with tight time frame.
All of these contribute to additional 7 digits annual revenue in USD.

International experience:
- Had a 1-month business trip in Shanghai and just recently 1-week workshop in Vietnam.
- My role involves working with overseas branches and Clients. Majority of my overseas clients are from UK & US. Some of the projects I handled are also related to Brexit.
- I used to study Mandarin for 1 year in Taiwan due to personal interest in Chinese history and culture. As I wanted to visit certain places in China and connect with the people, I thought I needed to be able to speak the language.

Extracurriculars:
- I am a regular facilitator that teaches slum-kids in Jakarta. What I and other facilitators teaches is not school-subjects like math, English, etc, but more about our community, family, daily-life, and future. Our goal is to inspire the kids to dare to dream. I usually do this twice a month.
- Quite-active in church activity. I’m usually in charge for the weekly bulletins or for church-usher role (the one responsible for seating guests and maintaining the order of the services).
- Organised company-wide fund raising by selling clothes, bag, etc. Managed to raise around $7000 in 3 days. The amount is donated to fight blindness in my country.
- Was an MC for company-wide run-for-a-cause event.
- I admit I was more focused in academic during my undergrad, so I didn’t have any meaningful leadership activity during that period. I have been trying to make up for it post-college.

MBA and post-MBA goals:
I want to join a specific Unicorn tech-company in Indonesia that has been expanding its fintech division as a product manager. As I am also in charge to handle partnership among my company, Clients and some fintech companies, overtime I grew stronger interest in fintech.
I figure that to reach my goals, I already possess the certain operational knowledge in terms of transaction flow, however to succeed in fintech, I realized that I need MBA to really build my skills in analytics and strategy because I am not really exposed to those in my current role.

Would really appreciate any feedback from you. Much thanks in advance! ;)
Yale Moderator
S
GPA: 3
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2019, 18:22
Hey There,
I'm glad to see some very competent people on this thread! I hope I can get my profile evaluated too.

Age - 25
Nationality - Indian

Education - Bachelor's Degree Holder in Business Administration from an A-Grade Autonomous Commerce & Sciences College affiliated with Bangalore University. With a GPA equivalent to 3.0.

Extra-Curriculars -
- ex-LAMP Fellow 2016 - LAMP stands for Legislative Assistant to Member of Parliament. It is a prestigious fellowship that only a select, few bright young individuals attain in India. Under this fellowship, I was mentored by an Honourable Member of Parliament in the Lower house of the Indian Parliament- The Lok Sabha. Under this fellowship, I handled and prepared parliamentarian intervention and discussions in the lower house for my Mentor MP. I also conducted research and briefings on various national and international issues for conferences, media interactions, elections, constituency visits, and Indian representation meets at WTO, WEF, etc. (I also managed to attain a LOR in 2016 from my mentor MP, I need to know if that is alright if I apply in 2020)
- International Speech Contest District Finalist 2018, conducted by Toastmasters International.
-Active Volunteering and Fundraising work (2017-Present) at Non-Profits in Disaster Relief, Humanitarian aid, and Community development.

Professional Profile -
-Business Development Internship at an Early-stage Tech startup in Bangalore- Conducted Market Research, helped define company valuation for the seed round of investment by identifying funding options. Conducted Social Media Campaigns and etc. All while in Senior year of College.
-Joined the same Tech Start-Up after nearly a year at the LAMP Fellowship as a full-time Business Development Partner. Helped the company see Series A and Series B funding. (1 year 6 months)
- Joined a top Consulting firm after realizing a career in consulting fits my passion. Joined as an Associate and worked in strategic minority investments and have been a top performer and in line for a promotion. (8 months and counting)

Before I apply next year (or maybe even in 2021) I want to see myself get promoted to ensure that I can show progress.

GMAT - 760 (December 2016) ( I also want to know if I can apply in round 1 and round 2 in 2021 given my GMAT score date)
My primary choices are Tuck, Columbia, and Yale. Slightly in favor of a 2 year MBA so INSEAD & other EU Schools are next priority.

Career Objective-
To have a great career in Management Consulting, in firms such as MBB. Eventually work my way up to a Senior Partner Level and move to General Management positions at Fortune 500 companies/Go after my Entrepreneurial dream (if the situation allows me to)

Why Tuck?
Consulting Emphasis. A Tightly knit Alumni network, perhaps the best I've heard of so far. The Ivy League brand value. Most importantly, the relatively smaller size of the institution compared to Harvard/Stanford/Wharton and the obvious advantages that come along with it.

Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest a few places I can improve upon candidature for Tuck.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 12:51
Background: Applying Fall 2020.
Race/nationality: US

Undergrad school/major: George Mason University, History (3.43 GPA)

Grad School: London School of Economics MSc. International History

GMAT Score: Have yet to take

Have worked in political campaigns extensively ether as an intern or as a full-time employee before going to grad school, including for a high profile state party. I worked as a researcher for three prominent public affairs outfits. While I interned for several think tanks in college and on the Hill for a high profile member of the US Congress as well as for a House committee. I am currently working as a government contractor with a Federal agency. In these roles, I have worked with high-level donors, officials, and dealt with issues/risks impacting the business.

Community and Others:
Served as a board member and treasurer of my undergraduate social fraternity's alumni org.
Treasurer for a local political organization
Active in Washington foreign policy networking organizations.

Post-Grad Goal of MBA:
I want to work in energy finance/consulting, focusing on how political and regulatory risks impact this industry. Strong interest in emerging markets and their unique dynamics as well. Seeking a role that combines strategy, corporate finance and client advisory overall.
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 13:30
Hi there - you have an intriguing background! It sounds like you have progressive work experience so far, a good GPA and solid GMAT (20+ points would only help, but I understand if you feel that you've hit your peak given that your score is consistent with practice test results), and meaningful extracurricular involvement. Given that, and the fact that there aren't a ton of applicants from Indonesia as far as I'm aware, I think that you'd be a viable candidate for Tuck if you apply next year and continue progressing in your career in the meantime.
Hope that helps a bit ! :)

aidyn wrote:
Hello there. Could you kindly give your insights on my profile for Tuck MBA?

I plan to apply MBA at Tuck in 2020, 1st round - hopefully marticulating in 2021.

Background and nationality: Born and raised in Indonesia.

Age and gender: 26, female.

Undergrad Information: I graduated from a local private university in my country, majored in finance, with 3.8 GPA (3rd highest in my batch). Usually got an A for quant subjects.

GMAT: 690 (Q49, V34, IR6) - consistent with all of my mock tests scores

- Started as an intern in a corporate banking division of a British multinational bank.
- Sponsored and selected as one of the management associates for 1,5 years.
- Deployed and got an early promotion to be an Associate in Custody and Fund Management Services, been almost 1 year now. I am the project manager mostly for:
1) New overseas global banks/fund houses that want to invest in my country.
2) Local fund houses that want to invest both in my country and overseas.
I work intensively with Clients basically to ensure their infrastructures, channels, and all of their requirements are fulfilled in order for them to invest. The arrangements include the securities type, account structure, legal documentations, our service coverage, channels etc.
My role is very Client-facing and involves a lot of working across divisions (e.g. Legal, Product, Operations). Though I don’t have anyone reporting to me yet, my roles require a lot of people management skill because we need to make everyone works together to achieve smooth delivery in every project with tight time frame.
All of these contribute to additional 7 digits annual revenue in USD.

International experience:
- Had a 1-month business trip in Shanghai and just recently 1-week workshop in Vietnam.
- My role involves working with overseas branches and Clients. Majority of my overseas clients are from UK & US. Some of the projects I handled are also related to Brexit.
- I used to study Mandarin for 1 year in Taiwan due to personal interest in Chinese history and culture. As I wanted to visit certain places in China and connect with the people, I thought I needed to be able to speak the language.

Extracurriculars:
- I am a regular facilitator that teaches slum-kids in Jakarta. What I and other facilitators teaches is not school-subjects like math, English, etc, but more about our community, family, daily-life, and future. Our goal is to inspire the kids to dare to dream. I usually do this twice a month.
- Quite-active in church activity. I’m usually in charge for the weekly bulletins or for church-usher role (the one responsible for seating guests and maintaining the order of the services).
- Organised company-wide fund raising by selling clothes, bag, etc. Managed to raise around $7000 in 3 days. The amount is donated to fight blindness in my country.
- Was an MC for company-wide run-for-a-cause event.
- I admit I was more focused in academic during my undergrad, so I didn’t have any meaningful leadership activity during that period. I have been trying to make up for it post-college.

MBA and post-MBA goals:
I want to join a specific Unicorn tech-company in Indonesia that has been expanding its fintech division as a product manager. As I am also in charge to handle partnership among my company, Clients and some fintech companies, overtime I grew stronger interest in fintech.
I figure that to reach my goals, I already possess the certain operational knowledge in terms of transaction flow, however to succeed in fintech, I realized that I need MBA to really build my skills in analytics and strategy because I am not really exposed to those in my current role.

Would really appreciate any feedback from you. Much thanks in advance! ;)

mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

G

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 13:37
Hello! I think that applying next year is the right move - in 2021, I'm not sure if your GMAT score will still be valid (each school has a cutoff date per round for your score, which is usually but not always the round deadline). Your score is great, but I do recommend addressing your GPA in the optional essay. To strengthen your candidacy prior to application, a promotion certainly would help show professional progress. Also, are you able to elevate your extracurricular involvement to a leadership capacity (perhaps as a volunteer team leader or junior board member at one of the NGOs?)

Hope that helps a bit!

sharathnair14 wrote:
Hey There,
I'm glad to see some very competent people on this thread! I hope I can get my profile evaluated too.

Age - 25
Nationality - Indian

Education - Bachelor's Degree Holder in Business Administration from an A-Grade Autonomous Commerce & Sciences College affiliated with Bangalore University. With a GPA equivalent to 3.0.

Extra-Curriculars -
- ex-LAMP Fellow 2016 - LAMP stands for Legislative Assistant to Member of Parliament. It is a prestigious fellowship that only a select, few bright young individuals attain in India. Under this fellowship, I was mentored by an Honourable Member of Parliament in the Lower house of the Indian Parliament- The Lok Sabha. Under this fellowship, I handled and prepared parliamentarian intervention and discussions in the lower house for my Mentor MP. I also conducted research and briefings on various national and international issues for conferences, media interactions, elections, constituency visits, and Indian representation meets at WTO, WEF, etc. (I also managed to attain a LOR in 2016 from my mentor MP, I need to know if that is alright if I apply in 2020)
- International Speech Contest District Finalist 2018, conducted by Toastmasters International.
-Active Volunteering and Fundraising work (2017-Present) at Non-Profits in Disaster Relief, Humanitarian aid, and Community development.

Professional Profile -
-Business Development Internship at an Early-stage Tech startup in Bangalore- Conducted Market Research, helped define company valuation for the seed round of investment by identifying funding options. Conducted Social Media Campaigns and etc. All while in Senior year of College.
-Joined the same Tech Start-Up after nearly a year at the LAMP Fellowship as a full-time Business Development Partner. Helped the company see Series A and Series B funding. (1 year 6 months)
- Joined a top Consulting firm after realizing a career in consulting fits my passion. Joined as an Associate and worked in strategic minority investments and have been a top performer and in line for a promotion. (8 months and counting)

Before I apply next year (or maybe even in 2021) I want to see myself get promoted to ensure that I can show progress.

GMAT - 760 (December 2016) ( I also want to know if I can apply in round 1 and round 2 in 2021 given my GMAT score date)
My primary choices are Tuck, Columbia, and Yale. Slightly in favor of a 2 year MBA so INSEAD & other EU Schools are next priority.

Career Objective-
To have a great career in Management Consulting, in firms such as MBB. Eventually work my way up to a Senior Partner Level and move to General Management positions at Fortune 500 companies/Go after my Entrepreneurial dream (if the situation allows me to)

Why Tuck?
Consulting Emphasis. A Tightly knit Alumni network, perhaps the best I've heard of so far. The Ivy League brand value. Most importantly, the relatively smaller size of the institution compared to Harvard/Stanford/Wharton and the obvious advantages that come along with it.

Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest a few places I can improve upon candidature for Tuck.

G

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 13:41
Hi, and thanks for writing! How long have you worked full-time in total, and have you had increases in responsibility? Admissions committees evaluate applicants on the basis of career progression and impact. You have meaningful extracurricular experience in a leadership capacity, which will benefit your application. Regarding GMAT, I'd aim for a 720+. Hope that helps a bit!

Londinium wrote:
Background: Applying Fall 2020.
Race/nationality: US

Undergrad school/major: George Mason University, History (3.43 GPA)

Grad School: London School of Economics MSc. International History

GMAT Score: Have yet to take

Have worked in political campaigns extensively ether as an intern or as a full-time employee before going to grad school, including for a high profile state party. I worked as a researcher for three prominent public affairs outfits. While I interned for several think tanks in college and on the Hill for a high profile member of the US Congress as well as for a House committee. I am currently working as a government contractor with a Federal agency. In these roles, I have worked with high-level donors, officials, and dealt with issues/risks impacting the business.

Community and Others:
Served as a board member and treasurer of my undergraduate social fraternity's alumni org.
Treasurer for a local political organization
Active in Washington foreign policy networking organizations.

Post-Grad Goal of MBA:
I want to work in energy finance/consulting, focusing on how political and regulatory risks impact this industry. Strong interest in emerging markets and their unique dynamics as well. Seeking a role that combines strategy, corporate finance and client advisory overall.

Yale Moderator
S
GPA: 3
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 13:50
Thanks, mbaMissionNishaT for the reply!
I certainly can get to the leadership positions at the Not-for-Profits as you mentioned.
The GPA was just an approximation of Online (Unreliable Indian GPA to US GPA converters). I'm sure my GPA, once submitted to the respective Schools, would translate to be far better according to the School's standards. I would also like to know what more I could do! Any advice?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
WE: Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 17:26
JUST A DETAILED REVIEW OF WHAT I DO and what i am.... I work for a public sector bank wherein the government of India owns 55%... there is tough competition to get into this job.. its not a Investment bank or a foreign bank... its a government bank with a triple bottom line... it may be treated as government career as most of our day to day functions involve implementing government policies with respect to financial inclusion, out reach of credit to rural poor, improving agriculture sector through involvement with village governments, engaging with rural women to uplift them through Self help groups, etc ( and i have done this as a job for 3.5 of 4 years on a daily basis)...

Just want to know my chances at Tuck

Background and nationality-
26 years , Indian, male,

Undergrad Information- Aerospace Engineer - SRM UNIVERSITY
7.32/10 GPA- top 25% of the class- (university level- TOP 40 in India)

GMAT: 730 ( on 3 gmat prep mocks -- test on Nov 7th with target of 770 which i will likely achieve)

Work experience and leadership - largest bank and financial services group (public sector) of the country ( back bone of the Indian economy )... State Bank of India (TOP 50 global bank and a F 500 company) .. selected as one of the 2000 officers out of 2.5 million applicants.

1. Credit analyst- 6 months- Commercial Credit- State Bank of India
Ensuring risk quality and credit quality aspects of proposals appraised keeping in view the credit policy of the bank. Performing industry analysis, due diligence processes, etc. Obtaining and analysing relevant financial information, including operating statements and balance sheets for carrying out CRA exercise/preparation of proposals for underwriting new loans, increasing loan commitments, periodical review or substantive changes in terms.Preparation of reports of Special Mention Accounts (NPA) for submission to the appropriate authorities.
Carrying out inspection of units as and when required and mandated in the loan agreement.Ensuring compliance with the bank’s credit policy, local regulatory requirements and compliance with the central bank. Coordinate with officers handling opreations to ensure timely updating and modification of data/terms and conditions/ date of review/approval etc are in the system as and when such change takes place for ensuring correctness of data and information. Achieved more than 35% growth over existing loan book of the asset management team that I worked in a span of 4 months. Appraised credit facilities to the tune of $99 million (Rs 705 cr). Handled 17 corporates accounts with a total exposure of $244.36 million.

2. Deputy Branch Manager of large branch- 1 year 2 months- State bank of India
Incharge of Branch Operations, the head of staff, and head of personal banking division at the branch level.Was directly responsible for the functioning, training, and working of 8 full time staff members. Was incharge of business development in the areas of customer acquisition, agriculture, bullion backed credit, personal segment advances, deposit mobilisation, and cross selling.
Achievements
MANAGING DIRECTOR’S CLUB- MUTUAL FUNDS- OUSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN Bank's MUTUAL FUNDS- 3RD IN THE STATE AMONG 19853 EMPLOYEES.
GOLD QUALIFIER IN YEAR END CAMPAIGN- MUTUAL FUND- FELICITATED BY CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER.. 7th among 19853 employees.
CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB- SBI GENERAL INSURANCE- TOP 3 IN THE STATE
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Network of 850 branches by the General Manager of the network
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Region of 48 branches by the Assistant General Manager/ Regional Manager
The following are the achievements of the team that I lead as the DBM
Gold loan campaign- Was among the 35 branches that qualified in the national level twice in 2 back to back months
QUALIFIED xyz CAMPAIGN- TOPPER AT THE NETWORK LEVEL AMONG 830 BRANCHES.
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB – NOMINATED BY ALL THE DGMS IN THE STATE TO BE BEST BRANCH AMONG 1300 BRANCHES.

3. Branch Manager – 8 months- State Bank of India
As branch manager lead a team of 4 staff members with Rs35 millions of business. Primarily responsible for business development of the branch, functioning of the staff, marketing, appraising MSME credit proposals, ensuring due-diligence of all liability and asset products, and overall security measures of the branch premises.As Branch Manager and team lead, I had along with my team successfully tripled the number of deposit holders in a span of 6 months, increased the agri-gold loan business by 150% over the previous fiscal, sourced and apprised MSME loans to the value of 300% the asset portfolio of the branch, made the branch a 100% digitally banked rural branch from 15% previously by conducting digital awareness programs in the nearby villages, with the help of Sarpanchs ( head of the village level government) and also insured 85% of salaried factory workers from a previous level of 3% a feat appreciated by the GM of the network.

4. New recruit officer - 2 years- State Bank of India
Mandatory time of 2 years of learning of the bank policies and assisting the branch functionaries in business development.
Handled crowds of about 20,000 everyday for 3 months during the demonetization (lineups were 2-3 kms) exercise that took place in 2016 (the greatest challenge at the time).
Increased revenue of a branch by 50%.

Leadership
Leadership (extra-curricular):

1. Organiser and Head of Planning Committee – DEPARTMENT FEST – 2013
Organized and planned the UN international Space week in Aerospace Department. Planned, Created, and set-up events for participation. Coordinated and Managed 50+ volunteers for the success of the technical fest.

2. Joint Secretary and English teacher- a student based NGO- 2012-2013
Was a part of the management team of a student based NGO. As Joint Secretary, I developed syllabus and teaching functions, guidelines for environment awareness focus campaigns , put together the online campaigning strategy, formulated HR policies including setting up of different verticals , conducting interviews for on-boarding of volunteers, conducting induction programs for new volunteers of the newly formed NGO. I was also given additional responsibility of being in charge of the book wings program where I planned, organized, scheduled classes on a weekly basis for teaching English to under-privileged children.

3. Director & President – student based ngo -2013-2015
As the director of Go Green, I was directly responsible for 200 volunteers. Organized Beach clean-up programs, environmental cleanliness awareness campaigns, water conversation campaigns, animal habitat restoration programs, sanitation awareness programs etc., . As the director, I was in charge of proper policy implementation of the NGO to ensure effective outreach of the awareness campaigns, build relationships with the external agencies for planning events of a larger scale, ensuring that every volunteer is well versed on climate change & sustainable development goals relating to environment and helping the junior volunteers in the on-boarding by conducting induction programs and team building exercises. As the first Director, I had an additional responsibility of formulating polices on succession of the directors and voting of green-captains .

4. Volunteer- Earthlings- 2015-present
active environmental activist in my city and region by participating in awareness programs and educating the general public.( couldnt take up a leadership position because of time constraints as i have 6 day week and have to come in even on sundays with a 15 hr work schedule... that being said i have always pitched my view because of my experience of running an NGO)

IF these count.. because all these are part of my job (outside daily business though)
1. Member of the District level committee on Industrial policy.
2. Member of the Mandal Level committee (one step lower than the district level) on banking, and financial inclusion.
3. Member and advisor of the Telangana State Industrial infrastructure corporation at the Mandal level.
4. Member of the Bank's regional committee on strategy and business growth.
5. Member of the Bank's regional committee on Agriculture, Self-help Group (women empowerment through banking), and small credits.

Community and others- Have a deep connection with nature and environment. Always been an active activist for environmental causes. Have been volunteering for the past 7 years of my life biweekly to raise awareness and continue to do so.
Hobbies: Cooking, volunteering for the good, teaching (i teach the kids of my house maid and their colony members on saturdays and sundays), love playing and watching soccer.

Post MBA goals- Want to work for not-for-profit organisations in the social sector that create impact on lives, eg like the gates foundation. Basically want to stick to the public and social sector where i will be working to uplift lives.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GRE 1: Q161 V162
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 05:57
vamkrispk wrote:
JUST A DETAILED REVIEW OF WHAT I DO and what i am.... I work for a public sector bank wherein the government of India owns 55%... there is tough competition to get into this job.. its not a Investment bank or a foreign bank... its a government bank with a triple bottom line... it may be treated as government career as most of our day to day functions involve implementing government policies with respect to financial inclusion, out reach of credit to rural poor, improving agriculture sector through involvement with village governments, engaging with rural women to uplift them through Self help groups, etc ( and i have done this as a job for 3.5 of 4 years on a daily basis)...

Just want to know my chances at Tuck

Background and nationality-
26 years , Indian, male,

Undergrad Information- Aerospace Engineer - SRM UNIVERSITY
7.32/10 GPA- top 25% of the class- (university level- TOP 40 in India)

GMAT: 730 ( on 3 gmat prep mocks -- test on Nov 7th with target of 770 which i will likely achieve)

Work experience and leadership - largest bank and financial services group (public sector) of the country ( back bone of the Indian economy )... State Bank of India (TOP 50 global bank and a F 500 company) .. selected as one of the 2000 officers out of 2.5 million applicants.

1. Credit analyst- 6 months- Commercial Credit- State Bank of India
Ensuring risk quality and credit quality aspects of proposals appraised keeping in view the credit policy of the bank. Performing industry analysis, due diligence processes, etc. Obtaining and analysing relevant financial information, including operating statements and balance sheets for carrying out CRA exercise/preparation of proposals for underwriting new loans, increasing loan commitments, periodical review or substantive changes in terms.Preparation of reports of Special Mention Accounts (NPA) for submission to the appropriate authorities.
Carrying out inspection of units as and when required and mandated in the loan agreement.Ensuring compliance with the bank’s credit policy, local regulatory requirements and compliance with the central bank. Coordinate with officers handling opreations to ensure timely updating and modification of data/terms and conditions/ date of review/approval etc are in the system as and when such change takes place for ensuring correctness of data and information. Achieved more than 35% growth over existing loan book of the asset management team that I worked in a span of 4 months. Appraised credit facilities to the tune of $99 million (Rs 705 cr). Handled 17 corporates accounts with a total exposure of $244.36 million.

2. Deputy Branch Manager of large branch- 1 year 2 months- State bank of India
Incharge of Branch Operations, the head of staff, and head of personal banking division at the branch level.Was directly responsible for the functioning, training, and working of 8 full time staff members. Was incharge of business development in the areas of customer acquisition, agriculture, bullion backed credit, personal segment advances, deposit mobilisation, and cross selling.
Achievements
MANAGING DIRECTOR’S CLUB- MUTUAL FUNDS- OUSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN Bank's MUTUAL FUNDS- 3RD IN THE STATE AMONG 19853 EMPLOYEES.
GOLD QUALIFIER IN YEAR END CAMPAIGN- MUTUAL FUND- FELICITATED BY CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER.. 7th among 19853 employees.
CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB- SBI GENERAL INSURANCE- TOP 3 IN THE STATE
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Network of 850 branches by the General Manager of the network
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Region of 48 branches by the Assistant General Manager/ Regional Manager
The following are the achievements of the team that I lead as the DBM
Gold loan campaign- Was among the 35 branches that qualified in the national level twice in 2 back to back months
QUALIFIED xyz CAMPAIGN- TOPPER AT THE NETWORK LEVEL AMONG 830 BRANCHES.
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB – NOMINATED BY ALL THE DGMS IN THE STATE TO BE BEST BRANCH AMONG 1300 BRANCHES.

3. Branch Manager – 8 months- State Bank of India
As branch manager lead a team of 4 staff members with Rs35 millions of business. Primarily responsible for business development of the branch, functioning of the staff, marketing, appraising MSME credit proposals, ensuring due-diligence of all liability and asset products, and overall security measures of the branch premises.As Branch Manager and team lead, I had along with my team successfully tripled the number of deposit holders in a span of 6 months, increased the agri-gold loan business by 150% over the previous fiscal, sourced and apprised MSME loans to the value of 300% the asset portfolio of the branch, made the branch a 100% digitally banked rural branch from 15% previously by conducting digital awareness programs in the nearby villages, with the help of Sarpanchs ( head of the village level government) and also insured 85% of salaried factory workers from a previous level of 3% a feat appreciated by the GM of the network.

4. New recruit officer - 2 years- State Bank of India
Mandatory time of 2 years of learning of the bank policies and assisting the branch functionaries in business development.
Handled crowds of about 20,000 everyday for 3 months during the demonetization (lineups were 2-3 kms) exercise that took place in 2016 (the greatest challenge at the time).
Increased revenue of a branch by 50%.

Leadership
Leadership (extra-curricular):

1. Organiser and Head of Planning Committee – DEPARTMENT FEST – 2013
Organized and planned the UN international Space week in Aerospace Department. Planned, Created, and set-up events for participation. Coordinated and Managed 50+ volunteers for the success of the technical fest.

2. Joint Secretary and English teacher- a student based NGO- 2012-2013
Was a part of the management team of a student based NGO. As Joint Secretary, I developed syllabus and teaching functions, guidelines for environment awareness focus campaigns , put together the online campaigning strategy, formulated HR policies including setting up of different verticals , conducting interviews for on-boarding of volunteers, conducting induction programs for new volunteers of the newly formed NGO. I was also given additional responsibility of being in charge of the book wings program where I planned, organized, scheduled classes on a weekly basis for teaching English to under-privileged children.

3. Director & President – student based ngo -2013-2015
As the director of Go Green, I was directly responsible for 200 volunteers. Organized Beach clean-up programs, environmental cleanliness awareness campaigns, water conversation campaigns, animal habitat restoration programs, sanitation awareness programs etc., . As the director, I was in charge of proper policy implementation of the NGO to ensure effective outreach of the awareness campaigns, build relationships with the external agencies for planning events of a larger scale, ensuring that every volunteer is well versed on climate change & sustainable development goals relating to environment and helping the junior volunteers in the on-boarding by conducting induction programs and team building exercises. As the first Director, I had an additional responsibility of formulating polices on succession of the directors and voting of green-captains .

4. Volunteer- Earthlings- 2015-present
active environmental activist in my city and region by participating in awareness programs and educating the general public.( couldnt take up a leadership position because of time constraints as i have 6 day week and have to come in even on sundays with a 15 hr work schedule... that being said i have always pitched my view because of my experience of running an NGO)

IF these count.. because all these are part of my job (outside daily business though)
1. Member of the District level committee on Industrial policy.
2. Member of the Mandal Level committee (one step lower than the district level) on banking, and financial inclusion.
3. Member and advisor of the Telangana State Industrial infrastructure corporation at the Mandal level.
4. Member of the Bank's regional committee on strategy and business growth.
5. Member of the Bank's regional committee on Agriculture, Self-help Group (women empowerment through banking), and small credits.

Community and others- Have a deep connection with nature and environment. Always been an active activist for environmental causes. Have been volunteering for the past 7 years of my life biweekly to raise awareness and continue to do so.
Hobbies: Cooking, volunteering for the good, teaching (i teach the kids of my house maid and their colony members on saturdays and sundays), love playing and watching soccer.

Post MBA goals- Want to work for not-for-profit organisations in the social sector that create impact on lives, eg like the gates foundation. Basically want to stick to the public and social sector where i will be working to uplift lives.

Not that I'm qualified to talk about your profile, but I worked with National Insurance for 2 years and quit to join a non-profit. All I have so far is an interview invite with Tuck (I assume it is a positive sign)
In my case, I'm planning to join both a policy degree along with an MBA. This I think will both reinforce my commitment to public sector/policy, as well as strongly differentiate my profile from the much more qualified and tough regular and traditional backgrounds.
I think your post-MBA goals are traditional profiles for career development/policy professionals, in which case your profile will need further beefing up with social sector experience.
But I think it is entirely possible for you to get into Tuck, should your post-MBA be a crystal clear route plan and practical. Another point: leadership need not be leading in formal roles, it can very well be anything which is not attempted by many. For example, you chose to go to a rural posting and sanctioned KYCs to default farmers by rationalizing their debt, all as a normal officer. Any such decision that is atypical will be a great example.

You need to somehow create a distinct career plan with your flavour, where with your strengths you will be the only (sort of) possible person to accomplish those goals. And communicate them with confidence. This will be equally applicable to all schools... Good luck
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 01:08
Hi, please evaluate my profile.

Female, 25 years old, India

Secondary education : 9.4 gpa
Senior Secondary : 81.9%

Graduation :
Bachelors of Architecture
(5 years course including 6 months internship)

College : NIT

CGPA : 7.67

GMAT : 710 (Q49, V 36)

Work Experience : 25 months at Larsen and Toubro
(as on august 2019)
Role : Senior architect

Have taken up more responsibility than is usually awarded at my cadre. Have handled one project in last year and am handling another project on my own as of now.(project values upwards of 100 crores)

Co Curriculars :
1. Regularly volunteer for ngo camps ( elderdly health camps etc)
2. Was part of organizing committees of college fests, department functions, functions in school
3. Was involved in dramatics and debating in school
4. Yoga Practitioner

Why mba ?

I know the technical aspects of a building, from the floor plans to the ventilation system, from the effect it can have on a person to the how livable and sustenable it can be .
I want to able to look at the same built environment from a business/financial/economic point of view also, to be able to have a more cohesive bigger picture.

Thanks !

G

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 16:48
Hi - I see you posted on the Stern board as well, so you can reference my rseponse there. Thanks!

kuks94 wrote:
Hi, please evaluate my profile.

Female, 25 years old, India

Secondary education : 9.4 gpa
Senior Secondary : 81.9%

Graduation :
Bachelors of Architecture
(5 years course including 6 months internship)

College : NIT

CGPA : 7.67

GMAT : 710 (Q49, V 36)

Work Experience : 25 months at Larsen and Toubro
(as on august 2019)
Role : Senior architect

Have taken up more responsibility than is usually awarded at my cadre. Have handled one project in last year and am handling another project on my own as of now.(project values upwards of 100 crores)

Co Curriculars :
1. Regularly volunteer for ngo camps ( elderdly health camps etc)
2. Was part of organizing committees of college fests, department functions, functions in school
3. Was involved in dramatics and debating in school
4. Yoga Practitioner

Why mba ?

I know the technical aspects of a building, from the floor plans to the ventilation system, from the effect it can have on a person to the how livable and sustenable it can be .
I want to able to look at the same built environment from a business/financial/economic point of view also, to be able to have a more cohesive bigger picture.

Thanks !

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 11:41
Hi,

Please, if you can, evaluate my profile as an international applicant for the MBA program

Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in technology with specialisation in computer science engineering.
GMAT: not taken yet
Work experience: 6+ years
About me - An engineer turned entrepreneur, started a textiles manufacturing and trading business, while studying, with my father (as his prior experience and willingness to work in the same industry he's ever been). Completed my engineering side-by-side. Then left for job, but kept involved in business somehow of the location benefits as my manufacturing process used to take place in the same city I got a job in. Then moved back for business, leaving my job. Since then, been in business and have turned quite a lot of things around for us, and for the market in a good way.
key achievements --
Turned everything from credit to cash.
Took things online,
and added a customer-centric approach.

All these things and ideas were new for the market and my customers, but now productivity has increased for both.
I think entrepreneurship is a good idea for my MBA, but not sure if it’s a good idea in case I want to experience something different like a job maybe for some time. Also, I am so much involved into everything I do, I don't want myself to not make use of my 2 years at an MBA program, so I am a little cautious of schools where I may not find the right mindset of people whom I can be with.

Why MBA?
I have some ideas related to my field which I think can really help and change the way things are done. I want to incorporate tech into small scale manufacturing, and I don't mean just computers. I am looking for a school where I can get some tech exposure along with my MBA, as I may need to take 1-2 tech courses along with an MBA.

Extracurriculars: I am an active sports guy. I play tennis, have coaching experience of swimming (summers only :P) have formed 2 groups in my city -- running and cycling, started with 2 people now each group has around 500+ participants, 60% of them are moderately active, 80% are somewhat active.
I trek a lot and have taken most treks closer to my place, as I work 7 days so it's hard to take an off as treks need a lot of days, but I manage that somehow by minimizing risk.
I am a cyclist, too. you'll find me cycling in the hills, if not trekking.
I have taken part in brevet, 200 km one.
I am a part of the national cycling group and I represent my city for the group.
Also, I am a participant of a blood donation group, we provide blood to blood banks and the ones in need, in person, too. we don't charge for it, it's a free community service for anyone in need. we are presently handling 3 states and the group has around 5000 members, most of them are active. It's run by the people for the people, but then there are too many things to do.

References: From clients to these groups, I can ask anyone to recommend me, but I think it makes more sense if I ask my clients or business people.

shall I apply?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 05:39
I’d greatly appreciate if my profile could be evaluated. Feedback regarding my chances of getting admitted and tips for improving those odds are welcome. I will try to be brief in order not to take a lot of your time. Thanks in advance.

Personal Info: 25 years old Brazilian (from Salvador).

Education: Undergrad - Law School (not ranked);

UNDERGRADUATE GPA: 7,09/10 (Due to imaturity, since i got into university with 16 years old);
POSTGRADUATE GPA: 9,01/10 (Business Law post grad at the best law school of Brazil);
GMAT: 720 (Q50, V38, IR 7, AWA 5.5);
IELTS: 8.0;

Work Exp: 4 years of exp at matriculation:
2 years as an intern in M&A (boutique law firm);
3 years as an Associate Lawer - M&A (boutique law firm);

Extra Cs: Head of the pro bono practise of the law firm i work;
Member of the Brazilian Bar Business Law Commission;
2 months as an English teacher for AIESEC at Colombia;

Languages: Portuguese (fluent), English (fluent/advanced), Spanish ( intermediate) and French (level c1 - advanced)

Goals: To change my career and break into finance industry (PE or IB).

Best regards,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2019, 05:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 79 posts ] 

Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status