GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Aug 2019, 11:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 07:44
Could you kindly review my profile for the 2019-2020 admission cycle?
I apologize for the very lengthy post.

My profile/stats:

* 28 this year, Southeast Asian (Chinese) based in Singapore
* GMAT: 710 (Q49, V36, IR7); first "blind" attempt; will be looking aiming for 750-770.
* GPA: 3.1/4.0; one of the top colleges/target schools in Singapore, this is my primary concern
* No. of WE: 3 years as of now (started upon graduation in May 2016).
>> Spent 1 year in the wealth management division (front office sales) of a tier1 US bank
>> Was a top performer and earmarked for promotion at the end of the year
>> However, I have always wanted to work in financial markets. Hence, I left for a tier2 investment bank after 1 year of cold calling
>> Joined on contract. Performance was good and they created a headcount for me after 1 year.
>> Got promoted to senior analyst in my 2nd year. Given additional responsibilities to cover 2 sets of clients (essentially 2 men's job)

* Extracurricular activities during college:
>> Elected into student office during college. Initiated and led various signature events
>> Part of a major band in school. Invited for various paid gigs and even overseas performances
>> Took part in various case competitions and overseas study trips

* Extracurricular activities post-college:
>> Part of the same alumni band
>> Part of an alumni mentoring circle
>> Volunteers in a church - mentoring younger boys
>> Freelance as a wedding pianist

Post MBA goals:
* Short/medium term - consulting with MBB with a focus on public sector/government or financial services (am not fully certain on the focus to be very honest) in the US. I plan to stay in the US for a few years. Alternatively, I'd be happy to explore options in general management/strategy. I believe all my short term goals are realistic with a T15 MBA.
* Long term - I am not looking to start any company or join a VC/HF/PE. I personally believe I am better suited to working in a large corporate. Hence, I am looking for longevity within the mgmt consulting firm or move into a strategy/COO role in the public sector/financial services.

I would like to have an immersive experience at school. Smaller size would be a plus, not a must. Would like a place with a heavy focus on teamwork and collaboration. Strength in general management will be a plus.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 437
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2019, 13:27
Hi there, and thanks for writing! I'm glad that you're taking the GMAT again, since you're applying from a competitive demographic and need to offset your GPA. Other than that, you have progressive work experience and meaningful extracurricular involvement, which benefit your profile. In your application, it'll be necessary to explain the motivations behind your goals - why do you want to do consulting at an MBB, and what experiences have shaped that decision? You'll also want to make it clear why Tuck is a good fit for you based on its culture and resources, which will require thoroughly researching the program and speaking to as many students/alumni as possible. If you can do that effectively then I think you'll be a viable candidate. Best of luck!


ratesman wrote:
Could you kindly review my profile for the 2019-2020 admission cycle?
I apologize for the very lengthy post.

My profile/stats:

* 28 this year, Southeast Asian (Chinese) based in Singapore
* GMAT: 710 (Q49, V36, IR7); first "blind" attempt; will be looking aiming for 750-770.
* GPA: 3.1/4.0; one of the top colleges/target schools in Singapore, this is my primary concern
* No. of WE: 3 years as of now (started upon graduation in May 2016).
>> Spent 1 year in the wealth management division (front office sales) of a tier1 US bank
>> Was a top performer and earmarked for promotion at the end of the year
>> However, I have always wanted to work in financial markets. Hence, I left for a tier2 investment bank after 1 year of cold calling
>> Joined on contract. Performance was good and they created a headcount for me after 1 year.
>> Got promoted to senior analyst in my 2nd year. Given additional responsibilities to cover 2 sets of clients (essentially 2 men's job)

* Extracurricular activities during college:
>> Elected into student office during college. Initiated and led various signature events
>> Part of a major band in school. Invited for various paid gigs and even overseas performances
>> Took part in various case competitions and overseas study trips

* Extracurricular activities post-college:
>> Part of the same alumni band
>> Part of an alumni mentoring circle
>> Volunteers in a church - mentoring younger boys
>> Freelance as a wedding pianist

Post MBA goals:
* Short/medium term - consulting with MBB with a focus on public sector/government or financial services (am not fully certain on the focus to be very honest) in the US. I plan to stay in the US for a few years. Alternatively, I'd be happy to explore options in general management/strategy. I believe all my short term goals are realistic with a T15 MBA.
* Long term - I am not looking to start any company or join a VC/HF/PE. I personally believe I am better suited to working in a large corporate. Hence, I am looking for longevity within the mgmt consulting firm or move into a strategy/COO role in the public sector/financial services.

I would like to have an immersive experience at school. Smaller size would be a plus, not a must. Would like a place with a heavy focus on teamwork and collaboration. Strength in general management will be a plus.

_________________
Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Apr 2018
Posts: 5
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 03:57
1
Background and nationality 24 year old Indian male
Chartered accountant- completed all the course levels in first attempt. The course has a single digits success rate.
GMAT: 770 (Q 51 V 44)
Work experience and leadership:
2 years of work experience.
working with Ernst and Young in the assurance department.Lead a team of 4 to 5 interns and report to the manager. Involved in planning and execution of audit of multinational clients.
Community and others : currently involved in mentoring and guiding the underprivileged children.
Post MBA goals

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 563
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 11:17
Hi makshay62,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Also, congrats on a 770 GMAT score! That's wonderful.

Before we can provide an evaluation of your profile, can you share information about your undergraduate degree and your performance there? Also, what are your post-MBA goals?

If you prefer a detailed conversation offline, please reach out.





makshay62 wrote:
Background and nationality 24 year old Indian male
Chartered accountant- completed all the course levels in first attempt. The course has a single digits success rate.
GMAT: 770 (Q 51 V 44)
Work experience and leadership:
2 years of work experience.
working with Ernst and Young in the assurance department.Lead a team of 4 to 5 interns and report to the manager. Involved in planning and execution of audit of multinational clients.
Community and others : currently involved in mentoring and guiding the underprivileged children.
Post MBA goals

Posted from my mobile device

_________________
Susan Berishaj
Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 May 2019
Posts: 1
Location: United States (CA)
GRE 1: Q167 V164
GPA: 3.01
Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 19:05
Hi all,

Been going to admissions events recently, and it looks like Tuck is the best "Fit" for me from the students and alumni I've interacted with. Would love a profile evaluation!
Background
Work Experience: 1-year analyst, 2 years associate manager, 1.5 years program manager (at matriculation) at F500 entertainment company. Fairly niche / emerging market
Postgrad Extracurriculars: 2 years as a board member for a local nonprofit focused on serving children. 3 years as a youth mentor for a yearly high school leadership seminar. Volunteered in East Asia for a year working with grade school students.
Undergrad Extracurriculars: 3 years as founder/ president of local video game club. 2 years in student government working with on-campus clubs. 1 year as treasurer for professional fraternity.
Other Education / Coursework: Nonprofit Management Certificate at UC Extension
Race / Nationality : White
Sex: Male
Age: 25

----

Stats
GMAT Score: 750 (49Q/44V)
GRE Score: 331 (167Q/164V)
Undergrad GPA: 3.01 Chemical Engineering at state school

----

Goal of MBA: Really been digging deep the past few months and realized in my heart I love building communities. Want to continue to do so in a brand management/product marketing position for gaming /esports (Think Riot Games)

----

Planning to apply during R1 and would love some help setting expectations about whether Tuck is a good target. Relatively insecure about GPA going into this process - had a 3.5 first 2 years and a 2.5 last 2 years once I realized my degree was irrelevant for my current career.

Thanks all (=
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1742
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 23:37
1
Rookstar5 wrote:
Hi all,

Been going to admissions events recently, and it looks like Tuck is the best "Fit" for me from the students and alumni I've interacted with. Would love a profile evaluation!
Background
Work Experience: 1-year analyst, 2 years associate manager, 1.5 years program manager (at matriculation) at F500 entertainment company. Fairly niche / emerging market
Postgrad Extracurriculars: 2 years as a board member for a local nonprofit focused on serving children. 3 years as a youth mentor for a yearly high school leadership seminar. Volunteered in East Asia for a year working with grade school students.
Undergrad Extracurriculars: 3 years as founder/ president of local video game club. 2 years in student government working with on-campus clubs. 1 year as treasurer for professional fraternity.
Other Education / Coursework: Nonprofit Management Certificate at UC Extension
Race / Nationality : White
Sex: Male
Age: 25

----

Stats
GMAT Score: 750 (49Q/44V)
GRE Score: 331 (167Q/164V)
Undergrad GPA: 3.01 Chemical Engineering at state school

----

Goal of MBA: Really been digging deep the past few months and realized in my heart I love building communities. Want to continue to do so in a brand management/product marketing position for gaming /esports (Think Riot Games)

----

Planning to apply during R1 and would love some help setting expectations about whether Tuck is a good target. Relatively insecure about GPA going into this process - had a 3.5 first 2 years and a 2.5 last 2 years once I realized my degree was irrelevant for my current career.

Thanks all (=


During your visit, were you able to talk to students/ admissions teams and identify the companies/ jobs you are targeting? That would be an important factor given that media industry represents a small percentage on the b-school employment reports. from this perspective, also consider Wharton and the west coast MBA programs (UCLA, Haas).

Your GPA is not much you can do about now, so present your best applications. Perhaps take the MBA MAth course, Tuck in any case has a requirement that you complete the course before you matriculate, so you may as well do it now. And ofcourse, you have a solid GMAT, that should help as well.
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Apr 2019
Posts: 35
Location: Indonesia
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Commercial Banking)
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 07:49
Hello there. Could you kindly give your insights on my profile for Tuck MBA?

I plan to apply MBA at Tuck in 2020, 1st round - hopefully marticulating in 2021.

Background and nationality: Born and raised in Indonesia.

Age and gender: 26, female.

Undergrad Information: I graduated from a local private university in my country, majored in finance, with 3.8 GPA (3rd highest in my batch). Usually got an A for quant subjects.

GMAT: 690 (Q49, V34, IR6) - consistent with all of my mock tests scores

Work experience and leadership:
- Started as an intern in a corporate banking division of a British multinational bank.
- Sponsored and selected as one of the management associates for 1,5 years.
- Deployed and got an early promotion to be an Associate in Custody and Fund Management Services, been almost 1 year now. I am the project manager mostly for:
1) New overseas global banks/fund houses that want to invest in my country.
2) Local fund houses that want to invest both in my country and overseas.
I work intensively with Clients basically to ensure their infrastructures, channels, and all of their requirements are fulfilled in order for them to invest. The arrangements include the securities type, account structure, legal documentations, our service coverage, channels etc.
My role is very Client-facing and involves a lot of working across divisions (e.g. Legal, Product, Operations). Though I don’t have anyone reporting to me yet, my roles require a lot of people management skill because we need to make everyone works together to achieve smooth delivery in every project with tight time frame.
All of these contribute to additional 7 digits annual revenue in USD.

International experience:
- Had a 1-month business trip in Shanghai and just recently 1-week workshop in Vietnam.
- My role involves working with overseas branches and Clients. Majority of my overseas clients are from UK & US. Some of the projects I handled are also related to Brexit.
- I used to study Mandarin for 1 year in Taiwan due to personal interest in Chinese history and culture. As I wanted to visit certain places in China and connect with the people, I thought I needed to be able to speak the language.

Extracurriculars:
- I am a regular facilitator that teaches slum-kids in Jakarta. What I and other facilitators teaches is not school-subjects like math, English, etc, but more about our community, family, daily-life, and future. Our goal is to inspire the kids to dare to dream. I usually do this twice a month.
- Quite-active in church activity. I’m usually in charge for the weekly bulletins or for church-usher role (the one responsible for seating guests and maintaining the order of the services).
- Organised company-wide fund raising by selling clothes, bag, etc. Managed to raise around $7000 in 3 days. The amount is donated to fight blindness in my country.
- Was an MC for company-wide run-for-a-cause event.
- I admit I was more focused in academic during my undergrad, so I didn’t have any meaningful leadership activity during that period. I have been trying to make up for it post-college.

MBA and post-MBA goals:
I want to join a specific Unicorn tech-company in Indonesia that has been expanding its fintech division as a product manager. As I am also in charge to handle partnership among my company, Clients and some fintech companies, overtime I grew stronger interest in fintech.
I figure that to reach my goals, I already possess the certain operational knowledge in terms of transaction flow, however to succeed in fintech, I realized that I need MBA to really build my skills in analytics and strategy because I am not really exposed to those in my current role.

Would really appreciate any feedback from you. Much thanks in advance! ;)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2019, 07:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 67 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: LordStark






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne