GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 23:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 2980
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 10:57
Hi Oono,

Sounds like you have a pretty good sense of your strengths (work experience, international perspective, peace corps etc) and weaknesses (GPA!), and I would agree with that assessment thus far. It puts a lot of pressure on your GMAT.... have you taken it since this post? It can be tough to overcome a sub-3.0 GPA, though at least grad school was higher, and if you nail GMAT that helps!! I do think Fuqua would appreciate your international experiences and perspective there, so aim to showcase those stories of what you'd be able to contribute to classroom discussions within your essays/application. Check out our tips and video about this year's Fuqua essays here:
https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2018/06 ... 2018-2019/

Feel free to register for a free consultation at any point for a longer dialogue, www.mbamission.com/consult, if interested. Good luck!

Oono wrote:
Hi all,

Aiming to apply this year for ('19-'21). I'd appreciate any feedback to see if I'm eligible or if I need a reality check.

Background and nationality: Dual citizen (EUR/US)
Undergrad Information: B.A. 2.84, M.A. 3.15 (Both subjects related to humanities) from a uni in EUR.
GMAT: Taking it soon. Practice tests hovering at 670-700.
Work experience and leadership: 5-6 years within international development, all outside the US. 3+ years fieldwork for various organizations in rural Africa (micro-finance and organizational development). Returned Peace Corps Volunteer as well.
Community and others: A good chunk of community engagement and volunteering.
Post MBA goals: (1) Sector: International Development. (2) Function either: non-profit management or consulting (specifically ID)

I realize my numbers are low (both gpa and gmat) but I'm hoping my unorthodox WE might pick up the slack.

Any feedback is appreciated.

_________________

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GRE 1: Q164 V164
GPA: 3.85
Premium Member
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 10:19
Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Background: Applying in Fall 2018 Round 1 for Fall 2019 start date.
Race/nationality: White, US
Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: University of Pittsburgh, Accounting/Finance
Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GMAT Score: 760 Total, 49Q, 44V, AWA 6, IR 8

Work experience and leadership: 3 years of work experience upon submission of applications in Fall 2018 (4 upon planned matriculation) in Big 4 Public Accounting, Audit. I have completed a rotation in the TAS practice at my firm (specifically due diligence) and will be transferring full-time next Spring (I think this is a big selling point and shows growth in my career as the rotations are very selective in my office/firm).

Community and Others:
Volunteer dog-walker at local animal rescue shelters, helping to prepare and lead a booth at the upcoming Made in America festival in Philly.
Volunteer at LLS, organized multiple charity events and an office-wide team for a stair climb event.
President of Beta Alpha Psi during undergrad.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant during undergrad
Recipient of scholarship awarded to "Top Achieving Academic Student" during undergrad.
IM Leagues

Certifications: Licensed CPA

Post-Grad Goal of MBA: To secure a position with a BB Investment Bank (specifically M&A/Core IB division), with the ultimate goal of transitioning to Corporate Development for a F100-F500 Company in consumer products. I want to consolidate companies in the industry to create a company that creates innovative products which make a difference in the day-to-day lives of consumers.

Additional: I think my WE/Demographic will lead to an uphill battle but my stats are strong and I think my extra-curriculars are solid. My recs should also be quite strong.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2018
Posts: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.64
Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 04:24
Hi all,

Male, American (White)
Age - 24
GMAT - 700 (Q45, V40) - will likely retake.
Education - BBA in Finance, Chemistry minor. No-name state school. 3.65 GPA with upward trend (pre-med first 3 years @ ~3.2, finance last two years @ 3.9+).
Also, 5 month study abroad in Taiwan. Took master's level marketing and communications classes while simultaneously tutoring English to groups of my Asian classmates. Led 13 separate groups of ~3 people weekly.

Work experience - Currently 1.5 years total as a functional controller at a T1 auto supplier. Responsible for ~$40m budget and my entire function in North America (~50 locations in CA/US/MX, 200 people). No formal promotions, but after the first year I gained 3 direct reports. Report directly to VP and primarily work with directors.
Aside from my normal controlling duties, I'm on numerous committees. I mentor the North American President on digital trends (social media, AI, blockchain), was nominated to be on leadership committee for annual North American charity drive (nominated by said President), am on a committee to revamp our onboarding process with HR, am leading a project to implement a solution within my function, etc. Overall, a lot of opportunities to lead and interact with leadership. Letters of rec could probably come from VP and President that would discuss different topics.

Extra curriculars - Membership Officer for regional chapter of Mensa. Responsible for enhancing community engagement and membership satisfaction for group of ~900. Member of Mensa for 2 years, in the executive committee role for ~6 months.
Was part of a competitive leadership program in college. One of 12 students were selected to learn business leadership, lead a multidisciplinary team in identifying a problem and presenting a solution to the community, as well as a week-long study abroad to explore business practices in Europe. Also member of Finance Club, but fairly
irrelevant.

Goal of MBA - Near-term goal is to transition to strategy consulting - preferably MBB (of course). My favorite aspects of my current job are identifying areas of improvement and finding solutions to them. Less a fan of the routine tasks, which controlling consists heavily of for much of the year. I also enjoy the people-oriented side of things - something controlling and other technical jobs lack. My manager has provided a lot of positive feedback regarding my leadership skills and potential, which makes me optimistic.

Long-term goal is to pivot back from consulting into industry and climb. Consulting is a method to gain a more broad scope of knowledge and continue to refine my leadership and interpersonal skills while accelerating my career. It's ambitious, but I'd really like to be in the C-suite of an F500 someday.

Target schools - If I were to apply now, Ross and Fuqua would probably be the only remotely realistic stretches (I think?). If my chances are currently too low, I'll probably wait a year or two, boost my GMAT, add another job and change to something more like M7 + Ross, Yale and Fuqua. Ultimately, I'm still young and can wait. I'm not willing to compromise on a school that I wouldn't be 100% proud of for the rest of my life.

Any shot at matriculating in 2019? Will a higher GMAT make any difference, or am I still reaching too far with only 2.X years of WE?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 64
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 04:25
Hi there!
It would be really helpful if you can evaluate my profile. Thanks in advance.

Age/ Gender/ Nationality: 26/ Male/ Indian

Education: BE Mech with a cgpa of 7.7/10 (non-IIT NIT). recently completed a 30 hr certificate course in finance.

Work Experience: 4.5 years as a mechanical engineer in a private engineering services company. was involved in R&d under a retired IIT prof. Lead a team of 4 individuals, all of them elder to me.

Extra curriculars: Was active in plays during college. Also some sporadic volunteer activities that involved creating environmental awareness to kids in schools hrough plays, organising cultural events for kids from orphanages throughout the city etc. Captain of a local futsal team.

GMAT: 720

Post MBA: Corporate Finance

Short term goal is I would like to get a job as financial analyst at the Big 4s, preferably in the valuation depts. Continuing and growing up the corporate ladder would be my long term goal.
Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1447
Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 05:19
MikeHelios wrote:
Hi there!
It would be really helpful if you can evaluate my profile. Thanks in advance.

Age/ Gender/ Nationality: 26/ Male/ Indian

Education: BE Mech with a cgpa of 7.7/10 (non-IIT NIT). recently completed a 30 hr certificate course in finance.

Work Experience: 4.5 years as a mechanical engineer in a private engineering services company. was involved in R&d under a retired IIT prof. Lead a team of 4 individuals, all of them elder to me.

Extra curriculars: Was active in plays during college. Also some sporadic volunteer activities that involved creating environmental awareness to kids in schools hrough plays, organising cultural events for kids from orphanages throughout the city etc. Captain of a local futsal team.

GMAT: 720

Post MBA: Corporate Finance

Short term goal is I would like to get a job as financial analyst at the Big 4s, preferably in the valuation depts. Continuing and growing up the corporate ladder would be my long term goal.



Hi Mike,

A few things:
1. Your GMAT score is a tad low for the b-schools you are targeting. It may work with a very strong application, at Duke, but at other MBA programs that you are targeting, such as Ross, CBS etc. it will be considered low.
2. You need to think a lot more deeply about your career goals. Firstly a transition from a mechanical engineering R&D role to finance may be difficult in itself. With four years work experience, your post MBA position should value the skills you have already built in your career so far. Secondly, corporate finance is entirely different from a consulting role. You need to do some thorough groundwork for your career goals, your strengths and where they will be most valuable. A badly written goals essay can spoil your MBA chances like nothing else, so these goals need to be logical, impactful and clear.

Reach out if you'd like to discuss further.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Feb 2018
Posts: 15
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 08:11
Hi,

Requesting a profile evaluation.

10th - 76%
12th - 76%
It engineer from SRM university.
CGPA - 7.5/10

- 2.4 years of experience in TCS as a systems engineer. Headed the batch during training and later handled a team of two during a project for an aviation client. Proficient in business intelligence tools, SQL and java.

-2.8 years of experience as a founder of a legaltech startup. Rich business, technology, sales and marketing experience. Handed a team of 10. Got acquired in April earlier this year.

-My startup was acquired by a startup accelerator and now I’m working in the same accelerator part time as a consultant for ~10 Startups. Consulting on fundraising, technology and growth. Have also given plenty of talks in startup events in Delhi.

-During college, tried a ecommerce startup, didn’t work out well. Then cofounder an unregistered NGO for two years in my locality with over 25 events and a 100 people volunteering team. Well documented in local newspapers.

Manhattan Mock - 660 Q43 V37
Can bump up my score to 680-700 hopefully.

Want to work as an investment analyst in a PE/VC firm.

Posted from my mobile device
Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1447
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 09:41
raghavshekhar wrote:
Hi,

Requesting a profile evaluation.

10th - 76%
12th - 76%
It engineer from SRM university.
CGPA - 7.5/10

- 2.4 years of experience in TCS as a systems engineer. Headed the batch during training and later handled a team of two during a project for an aviation client. Proficient in business intelligence tools, SQL and java.

-2.8 years of experience as a founder of a legaltech startup. Rich business, technology, sales and marketing experience. Handed a team of 10. Got acquired in April earlier this year.

-My startup was acquired by a startup accelerator and now I’m working in the same accelerator part time as a consultant for ~10 Startups. Consulting on fundraising, technology and growth. Have also given plenty of talks in startup events in Delhi.

-During college, tried a ecommerce startup, didn’t work out well. Then cofounder an unregistered NGO for two years in my locality with over 25 events and a 100 people volunteering team. Well documented in local newspapers.

Manhattan Mock - 660 Q43 V37
Can bump up my score to 680-700 hopefully.

Want to work as an investment analyst in a PE/VC firm.

Posted from my mobile device


Raghavshekhr,

You have an interesting profile! The startup experience, subsequent sale and advisor to 10 startups is good experience. Since you are working part-time at the startup accelerator, what else are you doing?
My concern is the GMAT mocks- you need to pump in some more effort there and bring it to a 720+ to have a shot at the top b-schools.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 546
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 02:03
Hello raghavshekhar

The outline of your profile looks good. Work Ex, Extracurricular seem interesting to put in good stories. You can read here on all the factors that matter in B School admissions.
On career goals make sure you portray why you wish to make this transition and what transferable skills do you already have and what missing gaps would you want the MBA to fill. You can add to your research on career goals by reading here.
Coming to GMAT, remember that Indians (especially with tech background) are the biggest and most competitive pool of applicants and are expected to score high on the GMAT. A 660 to 700 would make it tough in most top US B Schools. A minimum of 720 is recommended.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


raghavshekhar wrote:
Hi,

Requesting a profile evaluation.

10th - 76%
12th - 76%
It engineer from SRM university.
CGPA - 7.5/10

- 2.4 years of experience in TCS as a systems engineer. Headed the batch during training and later handled a team of two during a project for an aviation client. Proficient in business intelligence tools, SQL and java.

-2.8 years of experience as a founder of a legaltech startup. Rich business, technology, sales and marketing experience. Handed a team of 10. Got acquired in April earlier this year.

-My startup was acquired by a startup accelerator and now I’m working in the same accelerator part time as a consultant for ~10 Startups. Consulting on fundraising, technology and growth. Have also given plenty of talks in startup events in Delhi.

-During college, tried a ecommerce startup, didn’t work out well. Then cofounder an unregistered NGO for two years in my locality with over 25 events and a 100 people volunteering team. Well documented in local newspapers.

Manhattan Mock - 660 Q43 V37
Can bump up my score to 680-700 hopefully.

Want to work as an investment analyst in a PE/VC firm.

Posted from my mobile device

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 64
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 23:56
HI Namita

Thanks a lot for taking the time to evaluate and also for the inputs.

MBADecoder wrote:
MikeHelios wrote:
Hi there!
It would be really helpful if you can evaluate my profile. Thanks in advance.

Age/ Gender/ Nationality: 26/ Male/ Indian

Education: BE Mech with a cgpa of 7.7/10 (non-IIT NIT). recently completed a 30 hr certificate course in finance.

Work Experience: 4.5 years as a mechanical engineer in a private engineering services company. was involved in R&d under a retired IIT prof. Lead a team of 4 individuals, all of them elder to me.

Extra curriculars: Was active in plays during college. Also some sporadic volunteer activities that involved creating environmental awareness to kids in schools hrough plays, organising cultural events for kids from orphanages throughout the city etc. Captain of a local futsal team.

GMAT: 720

Post MBA: Corporate Finance

Short term goal is I would like to get a job as financial analyst at the Big 4s, preferably in the valuation depts. Continuing and growing up the corporate ladder would be my long term goal.



Hi Mike,

A few things:
1. Your GMAT score is a tad low for the b-schools you are targeting. It may work with a very strong application, at Duke, but at other MBA programs that you are targeting, such as Ross, CBS etc. it will be considered low.
2. You need to think a lot more deeply about your career goals. Firstly a transition from a mechanical engineering R&D role to finance may be difficult in itself. With four years work experience, your post MBA position should value the skills you have already built in your career so far. Secondly, corporate finance is entirely different from a consulting role. You need to do some thorough groundwork for your career goals, your strengths and where they will be most valuable. A badly written goals essay can spoil your MBA chances like nothing else, so these goals need to be logical, impactful and clear.

Reach out if you'd like to discuss further.
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Posts: 12
Location: United States (NC)
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V42
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q160 V159
GPA: 3.27
WE: Operations (Real Estate)
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 09:52
Hi all.

Background

Work experience:
3 sports internships through undergrad
Corporate Sales – top-tier pro team
Ticket Sales – minor league sports
Sponsorship – small sports tourism shop
Operations - governing body for an Olympic sport (7 months)
Banking Operations Analyst - bulge bracket bank (~2 years, 10 months)
Real Estate Credit Risk Analyst - same bank (past 11 months)

Extra curriculars:
Fraternity member in college (no key leadership positions)
Played club ice hockey for 4 years at my college (officer role my junior and senior years)
Assistant Coach/GM for that team for 4 years post-graduation

Undergrad school/major: a public ivy
Business Administration
Second Major: Exercise and Sport Science (Sport Administration)
Other education/coursework: Completed my college's business certificate program (while I was still in UG though)
Race/nationality: White
Sex: Male

Stats

Scores:
GRE: 159 V, 160 Q
GMAT #1: 670 (Q39, V42)
GMAT #2: 690 (Q46, V38)
GMAT #3: 720 (Q48, V40)

Undergrad GPA: 3.25

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: Change/Elevate Career. Learned relatively quickly into full-time employment that working in sports was not for me. I finally landed a job analyzing real estate about a year ago, and while it is still a significant improvement from working in sports and bank operations, I still feel under-utilized and behind my peers in the industry. I want to make a change, and I feel this is the best way to go about breaking into a more quant-intensive real estate role, either within the front office of a bank's securitized products group or at a smaller, more individual-deal-focused firm.

Thoughts? What are my chances? Happy to provide any additional info!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 10 Sep 2018, 09:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   [ 130 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Fuqua Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.