It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 08:19
Hello there!

I'm looking for a quick evaluation of my profile, and would like to get an idea of what colleges to aim for. The colleges I would like to apply to are
Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Yale, Stern, UCLA, Duke, NUS, Melbourne Business School, Booth and Cornell.

I'm a 25 year old Indian female.
Undergrad: B.Tech in Computer Engineering from a Tier 2 college in India (CGPA 7.34), Graduated Mid 2014
GMAT: First attempt - 650
Preparing for my second attempt. Hoping for a 700+
WE in order:
7 months at Cognizant (Chennai) as a Programmer Analyst Trainee
1 year at Amazon(Chennai) as a Tech Analyst where I was granted the opportunity to manage and lead a team of 6 junior analysts, within 8 months of joining.
4 months at an English Teaching Institute (Jakarta, Indonesia) as an English teacher
5 Months(present job) as an Asst. Operations Manager at a Marketing Consulting Startup based in Bengaluru
International Experience:
Completed my schooling from Doha, Qatar, where I spent the first 17 years of my life
About 8 months in Jakarta, Indonesia last year where I taught English, and also volunteered as a computer teacher at an NGO for Afghan and Iranian refugees
6 weeks in Milan, Italy as part of a Global volunteer program where I spoke about gender rights
Extra curriculars: Organized a few events in College for Tech fests, Won a story-writing competition, Played the guitar for a few cultural competitions in school and college(not sure this matters), and the volunteering experience in Italy and Indonesia that I've mentioned above.
Languages known: English, Hindi, Malayalam, French, Basics of Italian
I have a few gaps in my work experience because of personal reasons which can be explained in my essays. I'm worried my experience(about 2.5 years at the time of application) might be a problem.
Post MBA goals: To work for a leading consulting firm, and eventually move to work for a Non-profit organization.

Are the colleges I'm aiming for realistic? What can be done to make up for the limited work experience? I'm aiming for Fall '18.

Thank you :-)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 83 [1], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out.

The international experience you've had and different languages will definitely be a plus!

I too am worried about your work experience. Not just that it's on the low end (4-6 years is more typical at matriculation); but also that it seems like you've moved around a lot. I think schools will wonder how confident you are in your future goals and reasons for MBA if you've just recently made a career switch. You also need to get your GMAT up if you want to aim for those schools. So why not wait another year? That would really be the best way make up for your limited work experience! And it would give you plenty of time to prep for and retake the GMAT. You could also add an extracurricular activity, to show something more recent, and add even more leadership to your resume.

Good luck!
Kate

nadia92 wrote:
Hello there!

I'm looking for a quick evaluation of my profile, and would like to get an idea of what colleges to aim for. The colleges I would like to apply to are
Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Yale, Stern, UCLA, Duke, NUS, Melbourne Business School, Booth and Cornell.

I'm a 25 year old Indian female.
Undergrad: B.Tech in Computer Engineering from a Tier 2 college in India (CGPA 7.34), Graduated Mid 2014
GMAT: First attempt - 650
Preparing for my second attempt. Hoping for a 700+
WE in order:
7 months at Cognizant (Chennai) as a Programmer Analyst Trainee
1 year at Amazon(Chennai) as a Tech Analyst where I was granted the opportunity to manage and lead a team of 6 junior analysts, within 8 months of joining.
4 months at an English Teaching Institute (Jakarta, Indonesia) as an English teacher
5 Months(present job) as an Asst. Operations Manager at a Marketing Consulting Startup based in Bengaluru
International Experience:
Completed my schooling from Doha, Qatar, where I spent the first 17 years of my life
About 8 months in Jakarta, Indonesia last year where I taught English, and also volunteered as a computer teacher at an NGO for Afghan and Iranian refugees
6 weeks in Milan, Italy as part of a Global volunteer program where I spoke about gender rights
Extra curriculars: Organized a few events in College for Tech fests, Won a story-writing competition, Played the guitar for a few cultural competitions in school and college(not sure this matters), and the volunteering experience in Italy and Indonesia that I've mentioned above.
Languages known: English, Hindi, Malayalam, French, Basics of Italian
I have a few gaps in my work experience because of personal reasons which can be explained in my essays. I'm worried my experience(about 2.5 years at the time of application) might be a problem.
Post MBA goals: To work for a leading consulting firm, and eventually move to work for a Non-profit organization.

Are the colleges I'm aiming for realistic? What can be done to make up for the limited work experience? I'm aiming for Fall '18.

Thank you :-)

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 83 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 01:34
Hi Kate!

Thank you so much for the quick response! I was also considering the Masters in Management program in the European Bschools. But, will I be over-experienced for it?

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 18:53
Those programs are worth looking into...my understanding is that they are designed for applicants with little to no experience, so average age is usually around 23 or so, which you're not too far from off from.

nadia92 wrote:
Hi Kate!

Thank you so much for the quick response! I was also considering the Masters in Management program in the European Bschools. But, will I be over-experienced for it?

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 5

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap