GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 12:12
Hi - I'd like to apply to a top EMBA program on the West Coast my top school is probably Haas ( I would go for free because of my GI Bill

Demographics: Black, Male
Nationality: American
Undergraduate Majors: Business (biology minor) University of Illinois
GPA: 3.92
Graduate degrees: JD, Harvard Law School; MA, U. of Oklahoma, Human Relations (4.0 GPA)
Work Experience: 6 years as an Army officer (bronze star), 2 years at top law firm, 2 years as Program Manager at Exxon, 2 years as a Senior Program Manager at Amazon Hope to get promoted to Principal PM this year.
EA: 156 - Q10, V13, IR13
Extracurriculars:
- Sit on the board of directors for a Veteran's non-profit.
- I do some limited legal public service consulting in a niche field
- Work closely with a major charity in Seattle focused on homeless families esp. immigrants (helped raise nearly 65K in two years)

Goal is to stay in the tech space and become a director/VP within the next decade either with my current company or one of the other big tech companies. Looking for expanded knowledge of management theories as well as a great network. My Harvard network is great but most of them are on the East Coast and are concentrated in finance and law.

Should I retake the Executive assessment? I think I could raise my score to 160+ (my two practice tests were 158 and 160). I'd like to apply during R1.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 11:42
Hey unc0mm0n1 -

Fellow Illini here :-)

I think overall you've got a very strong profile, and I think you can make a strong case for needing an MBA with a West coast network. Your academic background is excellent, your Army experience will be hugely valued, and you've progressed at a face pace with some very well known companies. I think you would bring a really interesting perspective to an EMBA class. Do you manage people / teams in your role now? If not, that could be one weak area, but it's not a requirement. Your involvement in non-profits and leadership in the community is impressive too.

I wish we had better data on EA scores but what we keep hearing is that 150 or higher is a good score for top EMBA programs. So with that in mind, plus the strength of the rest of your profile, I don't see a need for you to retake. Focus on telling your unique story in the application materials and get that application in for R1! Have you spoken to people at Haas (either in admissions, current students in the program or alumni?) If not, make sure you do that before you apply too.

Best of luck,
Kate

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Hi - I'd like to apply to a top EMBA program on the West Coast my top school is probably Haas ( I would go for free because of my GI Bill

Demographics: Black, Male
Nationality: American
Undergraduate Majors: Business (biology minor) University of Illinois
GPA: 3.92
Graduate degrees: JD, Harvard Law School; MA, U. of Oklahoma, Human Relations (4.0 GPA)
Work Experience: 6 years as an Army officer (bronze star), 2 years at top law firm, 2 years as Program Manager at Exxon, 2 years as a Senior Program Manager at Amazon Hope to get promoted to Principal PM this year.
EA: 156 - Q10, V13, IR13
Extracurriculars:
- Sit on the board of directors for a Veteran's non-profit.
- I do some limited legal public service consulting in a niche field
- Work closely with a major charity in Seattle focused on homeless families esp. immigrants (helped raise nearly 65K in two years)

Goal is to stay in the tech space and become a director/VP within the next decade either with my current company or one of the other big tech companies. Looking for expanded knowledge of management theories as well as a great network. My Harvard network is great but most of them are on the East Coast and are concentrated in finance and law.

Should I retake the Executive assessment? I think I could raise my score to 160+ (my two practice tests were 158 and 160). I'd like to apply during R1.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap