GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 22:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 06:01
Indian|Male|27 years old|Target 2022 Fall

B.Tech. in Civil Engineering (2009-2013) (Non-IIT) - India - 4.0/4.0 GPA
MS in Civil Engineering (2017-2018) - Georgia Tech - 3.9/4.0 GPA
GMAT: 750 (Q49, V42), 5.5 AWA, 8 IR

[b]Work Experience:

2013-2017: Lived in India and Denmark. Worked as a Project Engineer and Technical Consultant for multi billion dollar infrastructure projects in Eurasia.
2019-Present: Civil Engineering Management Consulting. Working as a consultant on multi billion dollars projects in North America, Australia, Eurasia.

Extra-Curricular:
President for two organizations back in UG and Masters universities,
Active member of LGBT outreach program in the US,
Volunteered for a teaching program in Tanzania
Construction volunteer for a very big NGO in the US

Post-MBA goals: To work in a strategy group of a large construction firm or as a consultant for capital projects.

I have these three questions, would be great to get some feedback:

1) Since I have more than two years time, how else can I improve my profile?
2) What are the MBA schools that I can target in the US?
3) 29 years is too old to apply for an MBA?

Thanks!
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 19:08
Thanks for reaching out! A few questions for you: 1) what's your reason for wanting to wait two more years to apply? Most top schools are looking for applicants with 3-5 years of experience upon matriculation, and since you currently have 4-5 years of work experience (if I'm reading the above correctly) you're already going to be hitting that upper limit if you apply this fall. Waiting two more years could really make things much more challenging for you. When you have too many years of experience the adcom starts to worry that you no longer need the degree, and especially when coming from such a competitive demographic (Indian male engineers are the most overrepresented group among b-school applicants), you don't want to do anything to create additional challenges for yourself & your candidacy. Even though you're relatively new in your current role, it sounds like you have some accomplishments to speak to already (?) & you'll have more than a year under your belt there by the time you'd start school. 2) Do you identify as a member of the LGBTQ community? If so that will be a benefit to your application. The adcom sees VERY few Indian male engineers who are part of that community so from a demographic perspective it will be a differentiator for sure & will add to class mix. If not, no worries - it's still good that you did the outreach.

In terms of schools, assuming some strong essays & some strong accomplishments at work (as well as recommenders who will vouch for you), you definitely have a good shot at top 15 schools -- and maybe even top ten depending on how you tell your story.

If you need help thinking through your strategy or story definitely reach out to us. We work with a ton of Indian male engineers & know what's cliche vs. what's unique -- and how to use that info to set yourself apart. If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 14:13
Hey Jon,

Thank a lot for your detailed response. My responses to your questions:

1) I will become a senior consultant next year and may be manager an year after that. Also I would like to work at my present company which is giving me tons of opportunities to work on wonderful projects before I hop on to do MBA.

2) Yes, I identify myself as an LGBT member.

Thanks!
Admissionado
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 20:48
Cool - thanks for those responses. Happy Pride! :)

To be honest, although I totally understand the appeal of staying at your company (since it sounds like you are on a roll there!) waiting two more years to apply is going to make things more challenging for you since you will be quite a bit above the average years of experience at that point. Would you consider applying next year instead? Then you'd have at least one promotion under your belt but you wouldn't be pushing things so hard when it comes to age/years of experience. If there's a lot going on at your company you could also consider returning to it as your ST goal (which would have the added benefit of being more unique than the consulting path).

It's not a total deal breaker to be above the average age/years of experience, and you'd still have a shot at top schools, but I'd seriously consider at least applying next year. When you wait too long there's no going back! When you're already coming from such a competitive demographic you have to be careful about creating any more challenges in your candidacy.

Another option would be to consider European schools. INSEAD would be a great fit for you & it skews a bit older so your age & years of experience would be less of an issue there.

==

Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 05:08
Thanks for the feedback, Jon. You are amazing. I will consider your suggestions seriously. Have a great week ahead!
Admissionado
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 20:28
Happy to help!

==

Profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado