GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 11:09
Hi ,

i am new to GMATCLUB....would be glad if you can evaluate my profile.

Background.
25 years old; Indian; Male

Education:
10th-89.8%
12th-88.2%
B.TECH - 82%(GOVERNMENT ENGINEERING COLLEGE)

WE
- 3.5 years total exp. in a public sector organisation as engineer.
- Have got letter of excellence from Chief general manager for my work during cyclone.

GMAT: havent given yet, want to start preparation based on profile evaluation.

Extracurricular:
- Training and placement coordinator as well as branch representative in my college
- Active participant in various activities in college.
- Actively participated in cultural events
- Actively participant in College

Please let me know my chance for Top 10 B schools based on profile

I am lookig forward for a career in Finance/consulting.

thanks in advance :)
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 11:30
Hi Justdoit2019,

Thank you for your post. (Please note that any previous replies you might have seen here did not come from a representative of Avanti Prep.)

I do agree with one of those posts, however, that there isn't very much information to go off of here. For example, what kind of public sector organization do you work for, and what kind of engineering do you do? What key projects have you worked on and impact have you had? Have you been promoted? What kind of extracurricular activities were you involved in college, what roles did you play, and more important than those, what have you been involved in post-college? Beyond all of that, it's also difficult to size up your chances without knowing your GMAT score, or at the very least where you think it might land.

If you are new to GMAT Club (and possibly the global MBA admissions landscape), then I would encourage you to read through the links below. The first few will give you a sense of how applicants from India generally fare at top schools, and what kind of profiles tend to make people competitive. The last one will give you an idea of how to think about your career goals, schools, why you need an MBA, and the passion and purpose behind your goals. As noted above, your leadership and community engagement are super important as well.

As you will see in the posts below, being competitive at T10 level schools can require a 760+ GMAT score (with 740+ as something of a de facto baseline), strong performance at a top undergraduate institution, blue-chip professional and extracurricular experiences and leadership, and superb application execution and recommendations. You will also see what "being competitive" means from an admissions chances perspective. Your applicant pool (Indian, male, engineer) is the most competitive out there, so differentiation is very difficult and the top 10 is very difficult, especially when you're not coming by way of top-tier pre-MBA experience.

Let's see where your GMAT score lands, and then we can have a more specific conversation about what range of schools you should consider. It will almost certainly behoove you to look beyond the T10, possibly significantly so. But it's a little premature to assess the exact range just yet.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-admissio ... 39142.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-indian-m ... 56968.html

http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... pplicants/

https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 11:50
First of all thanks a lot for your detailed response:
I work in Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, a government telecommunication company. I look after whole eastern zone connectivity of a particular equipment, earlier I used to look after around 400km optical fibre operations and maintenance , during extremely severe cyclone our team restored telecom connectivity in record 3hrs time of which I was also a part.
During college I held many leadership positions, I was elected as branch representative as well as college placement coordinator .
I was also campus representative for various activities releted to internships.

From my profile I just wanted to know where I stand. Do profile like this have nay shot at top 10 b schools. Given I am confident of around 740 gmat score.
Thanks a lot for kind help.
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 12:01
Thank you, Justdoit2019. Even with a 740+, the top 10 would be very difficult. That doesn't mean you shouldn't include a school from the top 10 in your strategy (or even two, depending on how many schools you apply to), as a smart strategy should almost always test the upside of where you might be able to get in. But I would definitely encourage you to cast a wider net and build a more diversified strategy than that, as the top 10 will definitely be a reach.

Please also consider how you can build your post-college extracurricular involvement and leadership; college experiences are all well and good, but deep post-college involvement and leadership is more recent and valuable, and absent any, there will be something of a hole in your candidacy. If you are applying in a future year, then you might think of how you can build in this area over the next year or so. Deep, impactful, leadership-oriented involvement in one (or two) key areas is better than random, sporadic, superficial involvement in many.

Thanks!
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 12:07
Thanks a lot Avantiprep.
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 13:57
My pleasure, Justdoit2019. I wish you the best of luck!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2019, 13:57

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep