GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 14 Jul 2020, 19:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 06:22
Hello! Hope you're doing well and keeping safe!

I would like your feedback on my profile (aiming to apply next year-2021) and some advice on what my minimum GMAT target score should be

Profile:
Female, 24 years
Undergrad: B Com (Hons) from one of the top university in India (duration: 3 years)
Class 12th: 96%
Class 10: CGPA 10/10

I gave my first attempt and scored at 680. I will be giving it again shortly (Target score-720+)

A. Work Experience: 3 years(approximately) in Consulting

1.Impendi Analytics -1 year
Impendi Analytics is a boutique management consulting firm - focuses on enhanced data analytics to create executable strategies to drive cost reduction, revenue improvement and enhanced bottom-line performance.
-Working closely with the US clients and US team, I have worked on across different areas- both cost reduction and revenue optimization
-Have also been actively involved in the expanding the business of the firm across other geographies

2. Willis Towers Watson - 2 years
Willis Towers Watson is an British global multinational risk management, insurance brokerage and advisory company
-Working with the Global Data Services Team and serving as a key source to the Consultant by conducting market research and collecting the market data, supporting data analysis and reporting using excel and other technology tools
- I have been involved in projects with the Board of Directors directly for various clients

B. Extra-Curriculars
-Co-founder and Senior Coordinator, Start-Up Edge (The Entrepreneurship Cell of my college)
-Have been an active part of Enactus Ramjas (A global non-profit and community of student, academic and business leaders committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action)

C. Additional Qualification
- I am currently pursuing CFA (Level 2 Candidate- I aim to clear Level 2 before applying for my MBA)
- I have also completed several certification courses to enhance my technical skills (Python)

D. Target Schools
-INSEAD
-LBS
-ISB
-Top US Schools

I would like to know your thoughts on the following
1. Your thoughts on the initial assessment of my profile - things I should focus on
2. Do you think it would be a good idea to apply nest year (2021)?
3. Any other advice
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 07:34
Indian Male, Engineer +PGDM (From Indian institution of management)
Until grad - Topper all through (90%+) ; Grad CGPA:9.1/10
IIM (PGDM) - Not good grades
Leadership positions - Both in Academics and Professional
Managing team - Yes, leadership Role
Overall Work ex: 8 years
Work ex from: Samsung, Amazon
Gmat - Not given yet (Not sure of achieving 700+) as just started prep
Professional achievements: Many, 2 Promotions
Looking for: 1 Year MBA Full time (General/ tech)
Program : Advanced Mgmt Program with STEM ; On the likes of StanfordMSX, Sloan Fellows
Post MBA: Tech, Consulting, Marketing (US locations mainly)
Plus: good in terms of extra curricular, scientist award, strong leadership roles
Minus - Low grades in PGDM, GMAT score (Nt sure of)
Worry - Gmat score in practice test aren’t that great
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 09:13
24 yrs old Indian female. I did B.E. in electrical engg from a top 10 indian non-IIT college with 8.4 GPA. I have total 2.5 yrs work ex (1 yr in a fortune 500 O & G company as electrical engg + 1.5 yr in a top life insurance company as business analyst). Extracurricular= involved with a renowned origami club, writing blog on movie, playing guitar as hobby. expected gmat score= 730+ . I will apply in round 2. pls suggest colleges. 1st preference US, 2nd preference europe. I want to work in finance/marketing/consulting field after MBA
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 09:20
Hello there,
I am a 24 year old male.
Undergrad: Bachelor in Finance
Undergrad GPA: 6.71/7.00(topped my class)
Highlights: I have been involved in organizing events
Approximately 3 years work experience in TCS, working on a finance process related to bloomberg.
I have officiated as a trainer on certain occassions.
Extracurricular : I am an investor, a cook and photographer.
I do my share of charity by making donations, I have donated a lot of books to libraries etc.
Havent taken the GMAT yet, in your opinion what should be my target school to get into the top b schools in europe(Mannheim, ESMT, HEC Paris, WHU OTTO Beisheim) India(ISB) and south east asia(NUS, NTU, Otago)?
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 12:54
Hi nisha_996,

Thanks for sharing your profile with us!

In terms of applying in 2021, it's anybody's guess right now how the admissions landscape will look then. There are many theories flying around about how the pandemic may impact not only the upcoming admissions cycle, but also the 1-2 cycles after that based on what happens with immigration, public health, and individual applicant choices. All you can really do is focus on yourself and what you can control. I would say that if you're shooting for top US programs, your application would probably benefit from some additional work experience (ideally a promotion, and certainly passing the CFA level 2 will be a boost). You want to be able to point to specific examples where you've demonstrated business acumen, leadership, team management, and responsibility / impact for your firm or for your client(s). If you're shooting for ISB, LBS, and INSEAD, that additional year or two might not be as critical.

Besides the GMAT (targeting at least a 720 sounds like a reasonable goal), you should also give careful thought to your post-MBA career goals (both short term and long term). AdComs are always looking for candidates who clearly articulate what their future goals are, why the MBA will help them get there, and what about their previous experience and background will set them up for future success in achieving those stated goals.

I hope that helps! Good luck and feel free to reach out to us at www.admissionado.com if we can be of further help!

Best,

Doris
Admissionado
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 13:02
Hi indigiotangible,

Based on the info you provided, I agree that a 1-year tech-focused MBA program makes the most sense for you. Unfortunately, you're correct that you'll have to explain why your grades weren't stellar in your PGDM program. Was there a particular subject that dragged your grades down? If so, can you demonstrate that you've taken steps to shore up that weakness, such as by taking free classes online? Or was there some other reason such as family situation, health, work, etc. that affected your ability to perform academically at IIM? It's best not to avoid this question, but rather to have a clear (if concise) explanation for the AdCom about what went wrong and how you've addressed it.

Regarding the GMAT, a high score (720 or 730+) would certainly help compensate for your PGDM grades. However, if you're just not hitting that score range, then you'll need to find other ways to alleviate the AdCom's concern about your ability to handle the academics (per above).

Overall, AdComs like to see evidence of extracurricular leadership, but your professional track record is far more important. Make sure you have clear examples from the various roles that you've held that demonstrate your leadership abilities, team management skills, soft skills (communications, people skills, etc.), level of responsibility, and impact on the business. The more specifics you can give, the better.

I hope that helps! Good luck and feel free to reach out to us at www.admissionado.com if we can be of further help!

Best,

Doris
Admissionado
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 13:10
Hi rimban2295,

If you're planning to apply in R2 this year rather than wait another year or two, I would say that you may not quite have enough work experience at this point to be very competitive at the top 20 US MBA programs. For European programs like Cambridge or Oxford, however, you may have a better chance of admission this year. Generally the top US programs like to see more years of work experience as well as a promotional track record.

My other word of advice to you would be to really think hard about your post-MBA career goals, both short term and long term. While all the fields that you mentioned are common employers for MBAs, what you've listed is very broad, and AdComs want to see more specificity in terms of your stated goals. Make sure you can clearly articulate WHY you're interested in the post-MBA field that you choose, as well as what skills and experiences in your pre-MBA background you believe will position you well to succeed in the future. Many applicants don't spend enough time reflecting carefully on their future goals, which AdComs care about a great deal.

I hope that helps! Feel free to reach out to us at www.admissionado.com if we can be of further help.

Best,

Doris
Admissionado
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 13:21
Hi kntombat,

While it's difficult to say what your admissions chances will be at a range of programs without knowing your GMAT score or without knowing more details about your track record at TCS (any promotions, changes in your scope or responsibility, any informal or formal team management experience, etc.), I would generally say that the European and SE Asian schools that you listed seem to be in the right range for your profile.

One important thing that you should note is that while AdComs do like to see extracurricular involvement and leadership, what matters far more is your professional experience and track record (as noted above). They want to see evidence of the impact that you've had on any firm or client that you've worked for, as well as evidence of softer skills like business acumen, leadership ability, and people skills. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't write about your extracurriculars or volunteering in your applications, but make sure your focus is on your work history. The more detailed the anecdotes and examples you can provide from your work achievements, the better.

I hope that helps! Good luck and feel free to reach out to us at www.admissionado.com if we can be of further help.

Best,

Doris
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2020, 04:36
Hi Doris,
I have decided to apply in R1 itself. Also I have started thinking about my goals in depth. This year I will apply for maximum three universities. One of them I have chosen UCB- Haas. I guess based on my profile, Haas would be my target school. I cant decide the other two schools. Will you please suggest some safe schools for me in R1 this year?
Admissionado
D

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2020, 20:37
Hi rimban2295,

It's difficult to suggest schools for you without knowing more details about your background and future career goals. However, if you're set on applying in R1 this year with your current level of work experience, I would probably recommend European schools like Said, Judge, INSEAD, HEC, and ESSEC. As I mentioned before, most top US schools (including Haas) tend to prefer applicants who have more work experience.

Please also remember that MBA admissions is by definition a highly competitive process, so there are rarely truly "safe" schools for applicants who are aiming for highly ranked programs. What we typically recommend is that you apply to a range of schools, each of which you'd be excited to attend (don't apply somewhere that you would never actually want to attend!).

Best,

Doris

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado