Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - 740 GMAT, Banking / Music experience [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there good sir,

Firs of all man, you have a FANTASTIC profile. I mean it. (and I don't say it often). I mean how often do I see a totally PERFECT GPA in both UG AND Masters?? Let me tell you dude, it aint often. Your GMAT only confirms that you are one clever fellow.

Beyond that, what I am really impressed with is two things:
1. Your internationalism - Exchange programs on three continents, and work experience in a foreign country. Looks very very good. And if you have some languages to boot (which I assume you do) you get bonus points
2. Music - How few Bschool applicants come with something that is BOTH a true passion and a job. From playing to producing and selling your own music, to your job at Universal. Super interesting stuff (And great fodder for your essays!)

Other than that, your regular career seems not too shabby.

Your goals could be good ones, but I do have a few questions for you here: 1. Why Tech? How does this connect to your past? To your dreams? To your passions? 2. What type of Senior exec position? And how will you draw off your previous experience to get this position and succeed in it?

But these are things you can work out as you prepare your application.

Otherwise, looks awesome. You are a Top 10 candidate, so your school list is fine, although maybe you could add one or two more that you liked (especially since HBS and Stanford are always a bit of a stretch even for excellent candidates such as yourself).

Good luck!!!

Jon, thanks so much for your kind words and enthusiasm. It's encouraging to see that the traits you noticed emerge from a super-quick snapshot of my path so far. I will specifically bet on those during my application.

Thanks for your questions too. Golden feedback! I have felt in my bones the need for an MBA for quite some time, but I have started working on a precise goal definition for a week at most, after taking GMAT in early Jan. So my elevator pitch is not there yet, buy there's plenty of time to finesse it.

1) Why Tech? My industry definition was vague - I specifically refer to Digital Content/Internet Services. I have the usual 4 big names in mind, currently all partners of my employer in different shapes or forms, but I am open to other options as well. The industry in 2017 might look pretty different after all. As much as I love my job, I suffer from not having any influence whatsoever on the 'product' , i.e. the music we sell, which depends on A&R investment. I maximise opportunities for the distribution of our repertoire, but that is a given "abstract" entity that has nothing to do with me. What excites me most is contributing to the definition of product/marketing/distribution strategy for our partners, especially companies with a cutting-edge vision that can positively impact the lives of millions of people. On top of this, the most rewarding projects in the last few years have been related to direct-to-consumer digital products that my company has developed (I can't provide specific examples on a public forum!). I felt my creativity thrive, similarly to when I recorded my own music, and at the same time I made the most of my quantitative skills, in order to develop a solid business plan.

2) What types of Senior Exec position? If I pictured a successful version of myself in 10 years, I would be in charge of the Italian market for a global company in the mentioned industry, across all functions of the key product line(s). I have already started cumulating precious experience across several functions (Operations and Commercial so far, plus background in Finance), but I need to get more exposure to other key ones (e.g Marketing, Strategy) on a theoretical and practical level, and to build on my innovation and leadership skills. I would aim to develop this competencies, plus a deeper knowledge of the target industry, through my MBA and post-MBA work experience.

Since realistically I won't be able to submit more than 4 applications in R1 - which business schools would you recommend? After a quick research, I was thinking of Stanford + Harvard (I know chances are slim for both, but I don't want any regret!) + MIT + Columbia. And let LBS slip to R2 if need be.

Thanks again.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there,
Well, what can I say? You have an enthusiastic profile. As for your goals, what you wrote me here makes sense. Just keep working over it over the next half year, talk to a few people in your target industry and get an understanding of who they hire. It'll make your story a lot more tight when it comes to writing to the Adcom.

And four schools R1 + 2-3 R2 is perfect. For the extra schools, the one that makes most sense to add is Haas, given your goals and its location. Other than that, all and any of the Top 10 schools would be good, and I'd suggest that you choose more on "fit" and "Feeling" than any difference in ranking. You can probably go away from any Top 10 program and reach your goals, but if you go somewhere where you really fit in and love, it will make the whole thing just more pleasurable (and probably successful).

Sooooo, maybe a little trip around Bschools in spring semester? Can be a lot of fun too.
:)

Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there,
Well, what can I say? You have an enthusiastic profile. As for your goals, what you wrote me here makes sense. Just keep working over it over the next half year, talk to a few people in your target industry and get an understanding of who they hire. It'll make your story a lot more tight when it comes to writing to the Adcom.

And four schools R1 + 2-3 R2 is perfect. For the extra schools, the one that makes most sense to add is Haas, given your goals and its location. Other than that, all and any of the Top 10 schools would be good, and I'd suggest that you choose more on "fit" and "Feeling" than any difference in ranking. You can probably go away from any Top 10 program and reach your goals, but if you go somewhere where you really fit in and love, it will make the whole thing just more pleasurable (and probably successful).

Sooooo, maybe a little trip around Bschools in spring semester? Can be a lot of fun too.

Best,
JF

Thanks again Jon, I will closely follow your advice. And I am indeed planning a trip around Easter time to visit Bschools. Unfortunately, I will probably only make it to the East coast, so I can visit HBS/MIT/Columbia - potentially Wharton, although I am not convinced I should apply, for the very reasons you outlined above. I don't think I'll make it to Stanford, but visiting 3 out of 4 target schools would be already a great inspiration for writing essays. Will let you know how it goes.

All the best!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Awesome,
Sounds like you got a plan,

Have fun at the schools, and if you got any other Qs, you know where to find me
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandoParrado wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Awesome,
Sounds like you got a plan,

Have fun at the schools, and if you got any other Qs, you know where to find me

Dear Jon,

I just want to say "thank you" a year later. I was admitted to both Harvard and Stanford, and chose Stanford.

The post above was the beginning of my MBA application, and your words helped boost my confidence and shape my application.

All the best!

HBS AND Stanford!

My my....
Well, have a great time. I have no doubt it will be a fascinating time for you.

Best,
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts