It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 2

Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2009, 14:31
Hi Alex,

I was hoping you could help point me in a good starting direction for schools.

Short Term Goals - Become an analyst for either a venture capital firm or pension company
Long Term Goals - Focus primarily on valuation models for hard to price assets (i.e. Startup companies or Real Estate)

With these goals I think a strong Finance School is the best choice. My number 1 is Berkeley as it has Silicon Valley and working for a Venture Capital firm there would be an excellent opportunity. I am also considering NYU and UNC for their strong Finance Programs.

Male - 25 - Canada
Work Experience 3 years
GMAT 700
GPA - 3.1 - B.Comm Degree Specialization in Finance - CFA Level 1 Passed

I unfortunately didn't have a great undergraduate due to the fact I had to keep a job as a Credit Analyst with Citi which interfered with my studies. I plan on explaining this in the application.

Current Employment
Mutual Fund Company in Canada 2 years
Currently working as in the Financial Adjustment Department after being promoted internally from an entry level resolution position. The position consists of reviewing reports, performing calculations and assuring that accounts and funds are being priced correctly on the system.
Prior to this 2 years at Citi (1 year p/t)

Extra Curricular Activities
Help organize a yearly charity run/marathon of 1500 participants which benefits Aboriginals in the province. Have worked on this for 2 years obtaining a more senior position each year.
Captain of both and indoor and outdoor beach volleyball team.

Questions to you - what should I work on to improve the profile. More extracurricular, more job experience? I am worried I won't be able to convey to the schools that I have leadership qualities.
Also when a school looks at the GPA is it for the full 4 years or the last 10 courses of an undergraduate degree that count?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 2

MBA Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 567 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2009, 10:38
Schools look at your entire GPA.

In any case, keep in mind that VC is NOT a finance job. I've written about it elsewhere here on this board, but in short it's about your ability to be a matchmaker - matching experienced tech execs with promising tech business ideas. Figuring out whether to fund Facebook isn't an exercise in financial modeling - it's a gut call as to whether the actual concept or idea will eventually make money - and whether one can build a strong team of people around that idea to make it happen.

A startup's financial situation is pretty elementary. They get a bunch of money from investors. They spend most of it on salaries, rent for the office, phone bills, etc. They issue invoices to customers, and get money paid to them within 30 days. It's practically a cash business. The actual financials aren't much different from a mom and pop small business (i.e. why would you invest in a dinky startup with a complicated balance sheet full of deferred tax assets, pension liabilities, fixed asset schedules, complicated inventory mgmt, etc.).

Even as a VC associate where a big chunk of your job will be reviewing business plans, it doesn't come down to "financial projections". It's about making a judgment call as to whether the business idea itself is compelling enough (i.e. is there a market for this product, will that market grow in the next 5-10 years, is the product good or a piece of crap, etc.), and whether there is a capable team of people behind that idea to make it happen (and if not, do your VC partners have the contacts to find the right execs to work at this startup).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Kudos [?]: 567 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2009, 10:38

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap