Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation and advice needed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey punnirno2,

Thanks for reaching out to me again. You definitely have a game plan, but I would do this first before committing to your MF degree. I would dig into each MF program and see what the integration is between that and the MBA program. If there is enough overlap between the 2, just go for your MBA.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

punnirno2 wrote:
Hi Paul!

Thanks a ton for your valuable response, I really appreciate the fact that you went through it all! I fully acknowledge the message you are trying to put across: "Keep it brief, relevant & exhaustive". I know this is one golden rule I must rely on while applying. However, I consider a platform such as one for profile evaluation similar to visiting a physician & I felt, it was best to tell all the symptoms rather than making room for loss in translation. :) Hence the excruciatingly long description, my humble apologies for the same!

As for delaying the MBA part, the reason is simple (should have included it in earlier post itself): an MFin at this point of my career correlates to my short-term career objective which is to do something I know I am really passionate about. I dream of a dedicated career in Finance (hopefully as an Investment Banker OR a Risk Manager) for the next 5-6 years because I want to gain an understanding of how markets work & closely observe what are the roles of various market-makers & industrial powerhouses. I am somebody who thrives on understanding the way businesses/industries work & the best way is by doing it myself.

Then comes the bigger picture: my long term objective of a startup in financial services after a gap of 5-6 years. I have some ideas I want to keep shaping up using my experiences in those post-MFin years & then finally take an independent road.

a) At that stage of my career, an MBA will be extremely useful because I will be in a better position to apply what I would have learnt professionally & also be able to utilize the associated networking in a much better fashion.
b) Another reason is that if I get an amazing post-MBA opportunity at a top firm, it will give me a greater career jump (e.g. Manager to Group Head/Chief Executive) as to what it can lead to if I pursue an MBA sooner by omitting the MFin (e.g. Senior Analyst to Manager??!! :| ). I firmly believe that an MBA is more about optimally exploiting the B-School brand name/networking and I want to bring my A-game to that.

I hope this clarification helps.

Looking forward to your enlightening assessment & comments,
Puneet
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Paul,

This definitely is a great suggestion & accordingly I will start with this course & university research right away. :)

However, don't you think that for an MBA maybe it will be great if I can just wait for a couple of years more to make the profile & competencies even stronger & maybe look for a better job switch in the meantime? Who knows, even the job scenario in the financial sector may improve in this time. I am just being fool-proof & measuring my odds to make sure I don't end up wasting this huge investment. I would like to see your take on this.

I really appreciate your help! Once again, this forum has proved out to be a marvelous aid for us dreamers.

Regards,
Puneet
GMAT Club Bot