GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation and Qs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile evaluation and Qs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 13:34
Hi, hope to get some thoughts on the following.

27 y/o Chinese male
SUNY Albany graduate
3.6 gpa
720 GMAT (will retake, hoping to improve to 740-750)
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)

5 years investment research experience @ midsize wealth management firm, title: AVP. Likely another promotion in February to VP but it won't be in time for application... and boss hinted it'll be contingent on my MBA plans.
Started a mentorship program for high school students (very recently)
I have consistent volunteer experience but none in leadership roles: tax assistance for low income families, taught basic LEGO robotics programming to children, and other smaller projects (served food at local churches, cleaning up local parks, etc.)
1st generation college grad, neither parents finished grade school
Some interests if they help: basketball, dance tango, muay thai (thai boxing), travel (backpacked in Europe, danced tango in Argentina, skydiving in Peru, scubadiving in Italy soon!)

Goal with MBA is to transition to HF/VC/PE (most likely given my profile) or work on my entrepreneurial idea (a fintech idea I have been thinking about)

Target schools in that order:
H/S/W
Sloan/Booth
CBS

Qs:

1. If I want to study entrepreneurship and say that my immediate goal after b school is in finance (because it is the most practical given my profile) but want to start a company eventually, is this a red flag?
2. And if I instead talk about starting a business, will my experience and lack of entrepreneurial background hurt me?
3. Will talking about two goals also raise a red flag?

Thank you.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile evaluation and Qs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 07:48
Hey jhangli90

Thanks for getting in touch! You definitely have an interesting profile and I think you are the type of person that would get a lot out of a free consult so please set one up at your convenience. (Link in my signature. Note that you do not have to wait for me! Pick the timeslot that is most convenient to your schedule.)

I definitely like your plan of taking the GMAT again. 3.6 paired with a 740+ is a more compelling combination.

To your questions...
1. If I want to study entrepreneurship and say that my immediate goal after b school is in finance (because it is the most practical given my profile) but want to start a company eventually, is this a red flag?
>>>I don't think so. I was just at a Booth event the other night and they said the most popular concentration is entrepreneurship. Schools know that starting something up is pretty tough as a short-term goal, but having it as a longer-term goal makes sense. Just make sure you put some structure and vision around it.
2. And if I instead talk about starting a business, will my experience and lack of entrepreneurial background hurt me?
>>>If it's a long-term goal, I don't think so. The business should be related to your area of expertise though for it all to come together.
3. Will talking about two goals also raise a red flag?
>>>Most apps ask for a short-term and long-term goal, so that's totally fine. Having two goals in the short-term could be a bit strange but it's all in the execution.

One thing you mention...it sounds like you are an analyst in wealth management and not IB. To break into PE, we find that most firms really want people with two years of IB experience. So either tweak your goals to incorporate that, or maybe say you will go the hedge fund route instead. I think VC is interesting for you, but it can help to have some sort of exposure pre-MBA to make the case super compelling

Hope that helps!

Krista

Profile evaluation and Qs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate