Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation and School suggestion Request Please !! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey there again Abhinav,
so I think with your current GMAT score, the list you propose is okay, but maybe still a bit on the tough side. For the two US schools, you have less than the average GMAT of the incoming student… which doesn't mean that things are hopeless! :) Meaning again, if you can work to make your application sound great, then you would have more of a chance. I think you should be competitive at Nanyang and Melbourne with a good application. So it's a good start here.

Add one or two more schools, and you should be good. also, if there is any chance that you apply a bit later and get even 20-30 more points on the GMAT it could also help. For these schools 670 is about average, but if you crack a 710, and apply all of a sudden there is something different about your application (you'll still need to have those fantastic essays of course)

Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there again Abhinav,
so I think with your current GMAT score, the list you propose is okay, but maybe still a bit on the tough side. For the two US schools, you have less than the average GMAT of the incoming student… which doesn't mean that things are hopeless! :) Meaning again, if you can work to make your application sound great, then you would have more of a chance. I think you should be competitive at Nanyang and Melbourne with a good application. So it's a good start here.

Add one or two more schools, and you should be good. also, if there is any chance that you apply a bit later and get even 20-30 more points on the GMAT it could also help. For these schools 670 is about average, but if you crack a 710, and apply all of a sudden there is something different about your application (you'll still need to have those fantastic essays of course)

Best,
JF

Thanks Jon For your insights, so It all comes down to my essays and Apps ..

I am also applying to German B schools Manheimm and Leipzig ..But I am not sure being an Indian how good my chances of landing a good job in German post MBA and also hows the ROI in Germany and the reviewss I have read about German B schools are not so great with their Post MBA career guidance and help .

Any suggestion are most welcome.

Thanks,
Abhinav
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhinav11 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there again Abhinav,

Best,
JF

I am also applying to German B schools Manheimm and Leipzig ..But I am not sure being an Indian how good my chances of landing a good job in German post MBA and also hows the ROI in Germany and the reviewss I have read about German B schools are not so great with their Post MBA career guidance and help .

Thanks,
Abhinav

Actually their employment statistics are both quite fantastic, so I think you should be able to find a good job afterwards, and your GMAT should be good enough for both of those schools,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
abhinav11 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there again Abhinav,

Best,
JF

Thanks,
Abhinav

Actually their employment statistics are both quite fantastic, so I think you should be able to find a good job afterwards, and your GMAT should be good enough for both of those schools,

Thanks SO much Jon for your help...

I will keep this post updated If at all I got any admit (Fingers crossed)

Thanks,
Abhinav
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abhinav,
Crossing my fingers for you too,

Let me know how things turn out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Abhinav,

Hey Jon,

Hope you are doing great.

I have got through in Simon (University OF rochester) with scholarship in one year program.

Emory and Mannhiem DInged me :| :cry:

I got through in KATZ (University OF Pittsburgh) no news on Scholarship yet.

Still waiting to hear from Hough and Purdue.

Please rate these colleges and suggest which one will be better overall. I was excited bout SImon but fees is almost at par with top 10 colleges I dont want to take that a big education loan :\

Regards,
Abhinav
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhinav11 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Abhinav,

Hey Jon,

Hope you are doing great.

I have got through in Simon (University OF rochester) with scholarship in one year program.

Emory and Mannhiem DInged me :| :cry:

I got through in KATZ (University OF Pittsburgh) no news on Scholarship yet.

Still waiting to hear from Hough and Purdue.

Please rate these colleges and suggest which one will be better overall. I was excited bout SImon but fees is almost at par with top 10 colleges I dont want to take that a big education loan :\

Regards,
Abhinav

Congrats!
:)

Well, I am of the belief in general that going to a better school usually pays off. It costs more, but it brings more with better connections, better job offers upon graduation and higher salaries. And the statistics usually bear this out (compare ranking with average post-MBA salary if you don't believe me!). But I would definitely definitely suggest you do further research before you make your final decision. Once you know what your options are, it will be VERY helpful if you speak to other international students or alumni in YOUR INDUSTRY from each school that you are considering to see what your real employment options might look like leaving each school upon graduation.

Hope that makes sense,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello Jon,

I got admits from Simon (40% schol), Katz (50%) , UTD (40%) and Purdue (10 % Scholarship).

So with final decision to make. I am listing some PROs and CONs of the schools

1. Simon - Good brand Name, good location near NYC , Strong Alumni network , good curriculum
Cons - Very Expensive , out of budget for me :( , only 2nd one year MBA batch - not so good feedback from current students

2. Purdue - Good Brand name, Good location near Chicago , IL , Strong Alumn Network , Good for IT background - which is the biggest positive ,Curriculum focused more on IT

Cons - Again Expensive , First STEM one year MBA batch , no placement stats for STEM , No Idea how industry will take this course, 1/3 of the class are indians roughly 10 out of 30 more competition,

3. Katz -- Ok brand name , Good location , Lum strong
Cons - Not so confident with placements, CMC centre is bad talked to current students

4. UTD - Great location , Weather , 3 months Internship, International student trip , great scholarship and economical
Cons - More competition from other bschools in same city and not so great placement record.

PLease pour in suggestions I have to make decision in one week.

What other factors shall I look in for making final decision.

Thanks in advance for suggestions
abhinav S
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhinav11 wrote:
Hello Jon,

I got admits from Simon (40% schol), Katz (50%) , UTD (40%) and Purdue (10 % Scholarship).

So with final decision to make. I am listing some PROs and CONs of the schools

1. Simon - Good brand Name, good location near NYC , Strong Alumni network , good curriculum
Cons - Very Expensive , out of budget for me :( , only 2nd one year MBA batch - not so good feedback from current students

2. Purdue - Good Brand name, Good location near Chicago , IL , Strong Alumn Network , Good for IT background - which is the biggest positive ,Curriculum focused more on IT

Cons - Again Expensive , First STEM one year MBA batch , no placement stats for STEM , No Idea how industry will take this course, 1/3 of the class are indians roughly 10 out of 30 more competition,

3. Katz -- Ok brand name , Good location , Lum strong
Cons - Not so confident with placements, CMC centre is bad talked to current students

4. UTD - Great location , Weather , 3 months Internship, International student trip , great scholarship and economical
Cons - More competition from other bschools in same city and not so great placement record.

PLease pour in suggestions I have to make decision in one week.

What other factors shall I look in for making final decision.

Thanks in advance for suggestions
abhinav S

Abhinav,
I'd stick to thinking about either Simon or Purdue. They have similar prestige, and so if Purdue is that much cheaper for you, I don't see any reason for you not to go there. And it matches you and your goals :) Plus from what you have written here, it seems to be your choice.

One thing though: If you are up for it, I would HIGHLY recommend visiting both schools before you choose. You never know. And a visit may clarify things. I know, it's expensive and you don't have time. But in comparison to the MBA... :) But otherwise, I'd lean also towards Purdue.

Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello Jon,

Thanks for writing,

I would have loved to visit school before enrolling but I cant have that luxury being based out from India.

My only concern with Purdue is this is One Year STEM MBA's first batch - No idea how the market gonna take it.

Operations being its strength and my career goal as well I am inclined for it.

I have dropped Simon and KATZ for now.

Have to chose between UTD and Purdue in next three days (yes 3 days only) - But this is how I have been whole my life deciding things at the last hour.

UTD is offering me great scholarship but yes I dont want to take decision based only on financial reasons as the brand of school will be attached to m e whole my life.

Can you throw some light on out of Dallas and Chicago which city have better and more opportunities for people from IT background ?

Also weather wise I am more tilted towards Dallas, I have never lived in sub zero temperatures and will prefer not to live in future as well.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Abhinav S
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Abhinav,
Well I think you can first comfort yourself with the knowledge that whatever you do choose it will be a good choice. From there on, I don't know how much more I can help you. The exact situation of the IT job markets is something that is beyond my speciality, and you would be far better asking folks in the Industry (or ideally emailing alumni who graduated from both schools and now work in IT) to find out in regards to that. Otherwise, I think in terms of prestige, both are similarly attractive,

Let me know what you decide,
and of course, BEST of luck!

JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts