Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE:Other (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation and Target Schools for Engineer [#permalink]
Wow. Why ask for peer advice if you are going to take it so badly?

My comments are based on the advice I've received from talking to a number of top admission consultants and from reading their blogs and a lot of books. I have heard directly from four different consultants that adcoms generally care more about your academic record than GMAT. So take their advice for whatever it's worth.

I am not suggesting that you absolutely not bother retaking the GMAT. Certainly if you think you realistically think you can get a 740+ on your second attempt then go for it. I am simply suggesting that, if your time is limited so that you can't do everything possible, your time is better spent on the other factors because your GMAT is already in the range for the schools you are applying to. Your community involvement is almost certainly going to be a mark against you and working long hours is a poor excuse. Plenty of investment bankers and management consultants find the time to do more than two hours over of community work a week; I personally work 60+ hours a week and manage to spend 10-15 hours a week on my outside involvement. I don't understand why you would say you are going to do "everything you can to strengthen your profile" if that doesn't include strengthening your extracurriculars.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow. Why ask for peer advice if you are going to take it so badly?

I don't think I took it badly. I still think it's silly to accept a 690 when I can do better. I don't see what's bad about that.

My comments are based on the advice I've received from talking to a number of top admission consultants and from reading their blogs and a lot of books. I have heard directly from four different consultants that adcoms generally care more about your academic record than GMAT. So take their advice for whatever it's worth.

I've been reading quite a bit about the process as well, and the way you very clearly stated that adcoms care more about GPA than GMAT is something that flies in the face of most of what I've read. I've been told that it's (in relative terms) harder to get into School X with a low GMAT than it is with a low GPA. Most will go as far as to say "all factors carry weight, and each element of the application is taken into consideration" but I've not heard one consultant say that GPA is of more relative importance than GMAT. In my own personal opinion, the GMAT is a level playing field, thus difficulty of major, university, grade inflation, etc. do not sway the number as they do for GPA. Regardless of my opinion, I still have yet to see the majority of professional opinions stating that GPA is of higher importance than GMAT, so I was a bit surprised to see someone state in such a matter of fact manner.

I am not suggesting that you absolutely not bother retaking the GMAT. Certainly if you think you realistically think you can get a 740+ on your second attempt then go for it. I am simply suggesting that, if your time is limited so that you can't do everything possible, your time is better spent on the other factors because your GMAT is already in the range for the schools you are applying to.

In your first reply, you suggested that I not retake the GMAT. Given your outlook on time (see below) it seems that there is no limit and I should be able to find plenty of time to study for the GMAT as well as work 60+ hours per week and do 15 hours of community service, right? Why suggest that I have limited time to study for the GMAT, but plenty of time to devote to other pursuits? I can study for the GMAT at my own convenience; the same can't be said for most types of community involvement.

Your community involvement is almost certainly going to be a mark against you and working long hours is a poor excuse. Plenty of investment bankers and management consultants find the time to do more than two hours over of community work a week; I personally work 60+ hours a week and manage to spend 10-15 hours a week on my outside involvement. I don't understand why you would say you are going to do "everything you can to strengthen your profile" if that doesn't include strengthening your extracurriculars.

A poor excuse? I'm not making excuses. I'm stating a reality. I am not a management consultant, nor am I an investment banker. I am an engineer who can be called upon to do work in an office, in the field, or on another continent at a moment's notice. 12 hours shifts 7 days per week... that's more than 60 right? If literally not having 15 hours per week outside of work and sleep is a poor excuse, so be it. Congratulations on your résumé... finding time outside of those 75 hours to maintain a healthy personal and family life must be tough. That is admirable.

Thank you for the opinions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
We don't need to keep going back and forth on this, but I just want to quote you the two consultants who told me academic background matters more than GMAT in writing:

From EssaySnark: "Your GPA makes us drool (the GMAT score too but we know that so many adcoms really favor the strong academic bkgrd)."

From Veritas Prep: "Generally, academic background counts for about 40% whereas GMAT counts for about 10%. These figures are based on feedback we've gotten from former adcom members at various schools"

But admissions is something of a black box so different consultants will have different opinions and different schools probably weight things differently.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
blg529 wrote:
We don't need to keep going back and forth on this, but I just want to quote you the two consultants who told me academic background matters more than GMAT in writing:

From EssaySnark: "Your GPA makes us drool (the GMAT score too but we know that so many adcoms really favor the strong academic bkgrd)."

From Veritas Prep: "Generally, academic background counts for about 40% whereas GMAT counts for about 10%. These figures are based on feedback we've gotten from former adcom members at various schools"

But admissions is something of a black box so different consultants will have different opinions and different schools probably weight things differently.

Thanks for sharing the quotes.

Since I can't go back and change my GPA, I have few options in that arena...

Do you think that the math class from UCLA would be a better class than an accounting class or similar? I noticed that Kenan-Flagler actually said that accounting was a prereq. I haven't had an accounting course since high school. I'm confident that I'll do well in the UCLA math course, but it's $550 and I don't want to waste that money and time if it won't help me.

Do you have any ideas for other extracurriculars that don't have to be done on a defined schedule? Depending on the week, I could be working at any time around the clock. The mentoring can be worked around my schedule (and I will actually get some satisfaction from that) but I'm short on other ideas.

I'm sort of setting my sights on Georgetown, but that could all change based on visits. I will probably be applying in the first round next year, so my research may sway me between now and then.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FranciscoD wrote:
blg529 wrote:

Thanks for sharing the quotes.

Since I can't go back and change my GPA, I have few options in that arena...

Do you think that the math class from UCLA would be a better class than an accounting class or similar? I noticed that Kenan-Flagler actually said that accounting was a prereq. I haven't had an accounting course since high school. I'm confident that I'll do well in the UCLA math course, but it's $550 and I don't want to waste that money and time if it won't help me.

Do you have any ideas for other extracurriculars that don't have to be done on a defined schedule? Depending on the week, I could be working at any time around the clock. The mentoring can be worked around my schedule (and I will actually get some satisfaction from that) but I'm short on other ideas.

I'm sort of setting my sights on Georgetown, but that could all change based on visits. I will probably be applying in the first round next year, so my research may sway me between now and then.

I would think your best bet would be to take the hardest math class you can do well in. "Advanced Regression Analysis" is going to look better than "Math for Sociology Majors." Other than at Duke where it's a prereq, I don't think schools care much if you've take Accounting vs. another math class because accounting is generally one of the core courses you'll take your first year. It's not so much the functional knowledge they are looking for, but rather evidence that you can do well in rigorous quantitative courses.

Are there community opportunities available at work? Maybe mentoring younger colleagues, volunteering to plan a company conference, etc? The opportunities available will really vary from job to job but these are opportunities that can beef up your resume when you work really long hours. Are there activities related to your interests that you could pursue? Really schools want to see (1) evidence of interests outside of work, and (2) evidence of leadership potential outside of work. Adcoms are really good at being able to tell when you are just doing activities to beef up your resume and picking up one activity the year before you apply that only requires a 1-2 hours a week commitment will probably smell fishy. That said, I don't know how much this matters at the tier II schools you are applying to vs. the uber-competitive top schools that can basically demand that successful applicants work 100 hours a week for Goldman Sachs and are curing cancer in their spare time.

For whatever it's worth, here are a couple of articles on retaking the GMAT when you are just under at 700:

https://www.mbaapplicant.com/1_gmat_score.htm

https://mbaadmit.com/with-a-680-should-i-retake-the-gmat
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've actually read those articles about retaking the GMAT before. I think the main reason that I need to retake it is my poor performance on the quant section. I didn't study much, and my test results reflected my natural strengths. Language comes easily to me, but tricky (non-engineering style) math questions require practice. If I can balance out my scores, I think that will look better. Even a lower score with a higher quant might be worth the retake. If I had a balanced 690, or my quant was higher than the verbal, I'd be more likely to accept it as is. I also have a bit of an ego to work with here, and it's hard to quit at 690 when I know I'm capable of well over 700. Whether that's a "good" reason to take the test again or not, it's true.

Work doesn't offer a ton of opportunities for service (other than the fact that the mission of my organization is essentially as service-based as you can get), but I do think I can find other ways to get involved. There are professional organizations in the area, and I'm not sure how much of a leadership role I can immediately get into with them, but I'm sure the opportunities are out there. I know that's vague, but I've got some ideas and I think I'll be able to find some work-related activities that don't just look like scams to get into b-school (and they're not - they will benefit me regardless).

I also wonder about the emphasis that the schools outside of the "top 10" place on extracurriculars/service/involvement. I'm sure that it varies from school to school and person to person, but I think you're right that only the top schools can realistically choose from a pool of robotic hero applicants. I'm not one of those people, so I think it will be important for my application to come across as genuine. I do plan to visit the schools before I even write my essays, so I think that the level of effort I put into my applications will show.
GMAT Club Bot