Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Big 4 Manager [#permalink]
Out of curiosity, is there anything that I should add to my application to increase my chances of admission?
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,

Interesting background! The one thing that will really help to strengthen your applications is pointing to what is motivating you to pursue your specific goals and "connecting the dots" between what you have done in the past and what you'd like to do in the future. Otherwise, you are in really great shape!

Best,
Shaifali
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - Big 4 Manager [#permalink]
IvyGroupeCEO wrote:
Hi there,

Interesting background! The one thing that will really help to strengthen your applications is pointing to what is motivating you to pursue your specific goals and "connecting the dots" between what you have done in the past and what you'd like to do in the future. Otherwise, you are in really great shape!

Best,
Shaifali

Thanks Shaifali.

Without going into too much detail, the economic recession of 2008 hit my family hard. As a result of wanting to understand how and why the financial crash occurred, I developed a deep curiosity for economics and financial markets. However, because of the recession, I was unable to attend an out-of-state undergrad institution, so I chose the best college in my state.

Fast forward, I have greatly enjoyed the planning and client relations aspect of my job as a transfer pricing manager at a Big 4 firm; however, I would like to branch out into a position that gives me greater knowledge of the financial markets and business operations, which is what attracts me to investment banking. I believe the field will allow me to utilize the client relationship and project management skills in a way that will allow me to truly understand the driving force(s) behind the global markets. Additionally, transfer pricing becomes more or less a "golden handcuffs" job if you stay too long, so I would like to transition out of the field (probably won't say this in my applications).

I will obviously refine this overview when I draft my essays, but it gives you a 30,000 foot view of my interests.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IvyGroupeCEO wrote:
Hi there,

Best,
Shaifali

Hey Shaifali,

If I were to add Dartmouth Tuck to this list, what sort of things should I add to my profile?
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
For Tuck, it's really important to express your enthusiasm for the culture (especially how it's a close-knit, collaborative community). Tuck really wants people who understand the culture, so the quality of being collaborative is important to keep in mind as you approach the application!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IvyGroupeCEO wrote:
For Tuck, it's really important to express your enthusiasm for the culture (especially how it's a close-knit, collaborative community). Tuck really wants people who understand the culture, so the quality of being collaborative is important to keep in mind as you approach the application!

Those are things that make Tuck my top choice. I am assuming adding another ~20 points to my GMAT will also help?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Getting a higher GMAT score always helps, but your GPA is very strong. I don't know the breakout of your GMAT score between quant/verbal, but if your quant score is 80th percentile or higher, than you would probably be better off focusing your efforts on the app.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Well SaveLizards,

You've done well - form college all the way through the last 3 years of work. Congratulations.

You should be able to get into some of the colleges you mention. UVa and Cornell could work - but your GMAT could be a bit of a deterrent. Anyhow, this is a worthy application. If you need to discuss this more, please get in touch through the link below.

Regards,
Karthik

SaveLizards wrote:
WE:
- Manager in Deloitte's transfer pricing group (was promoted to manager within three years of graduating from my undergraduate institution). Will apply with five years of WE.
- Manage transfer pricing engagements for large, multinational corporations.

Letters of Rec: Should be excellent. I will be having two partners write them who both have PhDs in econ from top institutions.

GMAT: 700

Certifications: CPA, working on CFA

Post college goal:
-Short term: Transition to investment banking
-Long term: Treasury or corporate development for F500 firm.

Education:
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude from liberal arts school in a small western state (think Montana, Wyoming, Idaho).
- Cumulative GPA is 3.92.
- Double major in accounting and political economy; double minor in philosophy and natural sciences.

Awards:
- (Big 4 firm) intern case study competition team leader for winning group.
- Outstanding chapter growth (recruitment chair for my fraternity).
- Dean's List (x8).
- 1st place in ethics and professionalism (Business Professionals of America).
- Two years in a row, I won a competitive scholarship that is awarded to the top student in the liberal arts majors (history, political economy, philosophy, etc.).
- Awarded highest academic honors bestowed by the college (above Summa Cum Laude). Five seniors out of a 250 student graduating class were given the award.

Extracurriculars (College):
- President of ENACTUS.
- Director of Intramurals.
- Chairman of Senate Outreach Committee (philanthropy) for the student senate.
- Student senator
- Served as the recruitment chair, philanthropy chair, new member education chair, and alumni chair for my fraternity;
- Bassist for jazz combo (all four years)
- Rugby club for two-years (hurt my shoulder and had to give up playing).
- JDRF Volunteer

Extracurriculars (post-college):
- Mentor for underprivileged high school students in major metropolitan area (DC, NYC, Chicago, etc)
- Teach finance and economics to local middle school students through Junior Achievement

Interests:
- Skiing
- Outdoors
- Both listening and playing jazz
- Reading

Target Schools: UVA, UNC, UMich, Cornell, Georetown. My top choices are Cornell and UVA.

Miscellaneous:
- Neither of my parents graduated from a 4-year college.
- Graduated from a performing arts high school where I studied under a grammy award winning bassist.
GMAT Club Bot