GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation for Haas EWMBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas EWMBA '23
Profile Evaluation for Haas EWMBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 11:09
Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my profile. Only looking to apply to the Haas EWMBA because I work in San Francisco, and can't move anywhere else. Looking for honest advice on how I should position myself as an applicant and where I can improve to stand out the most. Since I'm only applying to Berkeley, want to make sure I do everything in my power to get admitted there.

Personal Life:
-25 years old
-American Citizen Male (south asian)
-43 months work experience

Academics:
-3.0 GPA
-700 GMAT
-UC Berkeley Grad

Extra Curricular's in College:
-Student Senator (1 of 20 people elected to oversee a $3M budget)
-City Commissioner & Advisor to the Mayor of Berkeley
-Created syllabus and taught inmates at the San Quentin Prison in their inmate rehabilitation program
-Contributing Writer for The Huffington Post

Employment:
-Startup Cofounder (started it during senior year of college)
-Went through Y-Combinator
-$3M funding from top tier VC's
-110,000 users across 50+ schools in America
-5 employees in total

Awards:
-Forbes 30 under 30 Finalist
-Inc Magazine's 50 emerging global entrepreneurs to watch
-Leadership Award Scholar at UC Berkeley
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation for Haas EWMBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 11:26
Hi vr18039,

Thank you for your post. Your startup experience sounds great, so I do think that's a positive / differentiator for you. The funding, user base, and accolades are all great, but you'll want to unpack the experience -- what did you learn, where did you fail, how did you grow, etc. (and how might some of this resonate with Haas's four defining principles, etc.)

That said, the pieces that jump out to me right now as obstacles are your GMAT, GPA, amount of work experience, and possibly extracurriculars. Your GMAT is right around the median for Haas EWMBA, but the GPA is at the very bottom of their middle 80% range. Because you're operating from the low end on the GPA side, and because you have time on your side, I would really work to boost your GMAT score. It would be much better to apply as a "high GMAT, low GPA" candidate than an "average GMAT, low GPA" candidate.

When I say that you have time on your side, it seems to me that you might be a bit early to the party for Haas EWMBA if you're thinking about applying now. The average Haas EWMBA student is 30 years old with 7 years of work experience, and the middle 80% for work experience is 5 to 11 years. I suppose you'd be flirting with the front end of that curve by enrollment (if you apply this year), but then you're a work experience outlier and a GPA outlier with an average GMAT (even with the potentially interesting startup story).

I mentioned extracurriculars above because they sound good but they seem to have all come during college. Those are nice, and I know you're probably super busy running and growing your firm, but the more important "extracurriculars" when it comes to MBA programs are those that occur during your post-college, professional life. So you may be on the lighter side there. (Then again, it seems that your firm might serve a social purpose, which would help fill this void -- though not necessarily erase it -- and align with Haas's "beyond yourself" / "question the status quo" principles if it's trying to shake something up in education.)

It's not all about the stats, of course -- far from it -- but these are definitely worthwhile considerations. For more detail about everything else (career goal specificity, passion and purpose, school specificity, your story, recommendations, etc.) you might check out this blog post: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process. Please also feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html.

Best Regards,
Greg
(Haas FTMBA)
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation for Haas EWMBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 11:30
By the way, I didn't mean for the above to sound overly dire. I wrote more about the obstacles than the strengths. It does sound like your venture has had unique success (and potentially real impact). That's a great platform for you. My commentary regarding the other obstacles is more from the perspective that your professional story and success seem strong, so you don't want to forfeit what could be a competitive bid for the program on account of the other elements that I described. Bolstering those other elements will help maximize your chances. (I'm also curious to know more about what your firm does, what you majored in, etc. Your GPA will be viewed in context of your major, especially when they know very well how demanding certain programs within Berkeley can be.)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation for Haas EWMBA   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2019, 11:30

Profile Evaluation for Haas EWMBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap