Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for INSEAD and low GPA issue [#permalink]
brahms00 wrote:
General Profile: Turkish/29 y.o./male
GMAT: 710 (Q49 %86 ; V38 %83) AWA 5
Education: B.A. in Management in a top-3 school in Turkey.
GPA: 2.8 (Around 3 in the last year / Average of the finance courses makes 3,85)
Work Experience: 5 years at matriculation in the union of chambers of commerce in Turkey. The union, a non-profit organization representing private sector , plays a significant role in Turkish economy and politics as well. I have worked in two different departements as assistant expert and expert. Both departements required high international interaction. I think subjects I have dealt in the union are unique to the all MBA applicant although at the very top it is under the brach operational management or logistics.
International Exposure: I have lived 6 months in Belarus (studied Russian in a local university). Visited Ukraine as a 2 week vacation. For business trips, I have been to abroad many times to make presentations, participate in global meetings about my area, participate bilateral governmental meetings on transportation as a representative from private sector. Turkish is my native, I am fluent in English, French and Russian.
Extra-circulars : Some local/national bridge medals. Organised an inter-university bridge champhionship.
Post MBA Goal: Finance risk management
So, how would you evaluate my profile? What are my chances?

I think GPA is my biggest problem. Before browsing a couple of forums I was planning to send the application without separately dealing with that issue. Just hoped that somehow unconventional background with sufficient international exposure and an acceptable gmat would be enough. However you guys convinced me about the fierce competition and now I am seriously thinking about addressing the issue. But how?

Hard luck story, I have one. Father had an illness, bankrupted , I had to work during education. But this is not the real reason I just did not care and after 6 years this is the first time I feel obliged to make an explanation.
Extra-circular activities, I have a couple. During college years played bridge extensively all around the Turkey (all expenses (travel/acoomodation/stipend) were covered by the national bridge federation since I was a candidate for national team.
Better grades in particular area, I have it. The average of my finance grades are 3,85 (I did not pursue a carrier in finance after graduation but plan to do it after MBA)
So, should I address the gpa issue? If so how? I really would be more comfortable without mentioning this hard luck story however I have semesters with complete F’s. Or does this bridge stuff would convince ad-com that it is not due to incapability that my grades were low? Would finance grades save me? Should I mention it taking a separate essay for that? Does the adcom cannot discover it without help.
Finally, does any of those would increase my chances? I could use the space of that optional essay.

Thank you very very much in advance,

Onur

Hi,
Your profile is unique and you will definitely stand a good chance with solid essays and recommendations. Remember, visiting a country for vacation does not qualify as international experience. You will have to focus on results at the workplace especially in leadership roles when guiding/mentoring other team members. As for your low undergrad GPA, you could address it by being honest about it. The adcom sees multiple instances of similar stories every year, so trying to spin a story here would not be advisable.

Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
https://www.general-ed.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation for INSEAD and low GPA issue [#permalink]