Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB [#permalink]
sfarhan wrote:
I do realise that i'm up against a strong pool of software engineering folks. Is every engineer applying perceived in similar way?? I wanted to know if the quality of your work experience matters in selection process. Setting aside my software background ( something that can't be changed :) ) , is there anything else that can be done to compensate for that. As you mentioned , GMAT score is one area that can be improved. But realistically, what are my chances with the current score that i have.?

Hi Farhan, with your current score, given that you seem to have a very decent profile (good acads, decent extracurriculars, optimum experience), you "do" have a chance for an interview call. But as I mentioned, a better GMAT score would further your chances.

As for the quality of work, of course it does matter. However, let me share with you an issue that I am sure Admissions Committee members face as well. Almost all the applicants with software experience mention that they have led a team, got client recommendations, have had fast track promotions, have certifications, and have international experience. Almost all are Project Managers/Project Leaders.

Frankly, I am sure most of them (if not all) are truthful, because after all, one would expect that only above average people would apply to ISB. However, the issue then is that it becomes a bit challenging to differentiate based on work profile alone, since most of the candidates do seem to be achievers (and as I said, I am sure they are).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Farhan,

With your technology profile we dont think that there is a great chance at 690. So, our recommendation will be to give one more attempt to GMAT. Well, thats the only thing you can change in your candidature at this point. Adding some extra curricular etc is not possible now.

Feel free to contact us and we can discuss how to showcase your profile.

Apphelp Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Profile Evaluation for ISB [#permalink]
Hello Guys!!
Would really appreciate if you guys could evaluate my profile

GMAT: 730 Q 51 V 38
CGPA 8.48 from ITER, SOA University
12th- 76
10th- 89

Work Ex: 4.5 years by the time I start my MBA

Presently working with a nationalised bank handling the credit portfolio of my branch as well as Sub-Manager. Currently 2 and a half years experience out here.

Previously 1 and a half years work ex in TCS as an automation engineer.

Have recently started a fly ash brick manufacturing unit with a like minded friend to give some shape to my entrepreneurial ambitions. Plan to make use of my exposure to the various schemes provided by the govt to new entrepreneurs to creating a sustainable business enterprise hopefully in the manufacturing division and providing employment to the marginalised sections of the society.

Achievements and Extra Curriculars:

1. Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers(CAIIB)- Cleared both levels
2. Represented TCS in the corporate badminton tournament in Kolkata.
3. Winner of College and University Badminton Titles for 3 years.
4. Represented State Badminton Team in the nationals
5. Captained State School Badminton Team in the nationals
6. Received Sports Scholarship from the State Govt and also a 10% weightage in marks after 10th but didnt use it
7. Won State Badminton Tournaments and Prize Money Tournaments(10-15 events)
8. Captained School Team in our inter DAV(MHRAT) meet.
9. Won MHRAT Badminton Tournament multiple times
10. Was an active member of JAAGO, a club in our college which used to teach poor kids from slum areas. Used to visit orphanages to give them gifts and also took out the kids on picnics. Unable to continue due to frequent transfers in my job where I have worked in 5 different places already in 4 years.
11. Chief Coordinator of College Events and also a national level Cricket Premier League organised by our college

Please let me know my overall chances..Thanks in advance :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asheesh Nayak wrote:
Hello Guys!!
Would really appreciate if you guys could evaluate my profile

GMAT: 730 Q 51 V 38
CGPA 8.48 from ITER, SOA University
12th- 76
10th- 89

Work Ex: 4.5 years by the time I start my MBA

Presently working with a nationalised bank handling the credit portfolio of my branch as well as Sub-Manager. Currently 2 and a half years experience out here.

Previously 1 and a half years work ex in TCS as an automation engineer.

Have recently started a fly ash brick manufacturing unit with a like minded friend to give some shape to my entrepreneurial ambitions. Plan to make use of my exposure to the various schemes provided by the govt to new entrepreneurs to creating a sustainable business enterprise hopefully in the manufacturing division and providing employment to the marginalised sections of the society.

Achievements and Extra Curriculars:

1. Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers(CAIIB)- Cleared both levels
2. Represented TCS in the corporate badminton tournament in Kolkata.
3. Winner of College and University Badminton Titles for 3 years.
4. Represented State Badminton Team in the nationals
5. Captained State School Badminton Team in the nationals
6. Received Sports Scholarship from the State Govt and also a 10% weightage in marks after 10th but didnt use it
7. Won State Badminton Tournaments and Prize Money Tournaments(10-15 events)
8. Captained School Team in our inter DAV(MHRAT) meet.
9. Won MHRAT Badminton Tournament multiple times
10. Was an active member of JAAGO, a club in our college which used to teach poor kids from slum areas. Used to visit orphanages to give them gifts and also took out the kids on picnics. Unable to continue due to frequent transfers in my job where I have worked in 5 different places already in 4 years.
11. Chief Coordinator of College Events and also a national level Cricket Premier League organised by our college

Please let me know my overall chances..Thanks in advance :)

Hi Asheesh,

Your overall candidature is very strong. Firstly 730 on GMAT is good. In terms of work ex, the good decision that you made was moving out of a typical IT services role and jumping into banking. That adds diversity to the profile.

Your entrepreneurial experience is good but it has to be handled carefully. Many applicants get strangled because they are into a job and start a venture in parallel and are not able to clearly justify need of MBA and post MBA goals.

Your extra currics especially badminton related achievements will also add a dimension to your profile.

Our only worry is your post MBA goals. If you can justify that well, chances are really good.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Apphelp wrote:
Asheesh Nayak wrote:
Hi Asheesh,

Your overall candidature is very strong. Firstly 730 on GMAT is good. In terms of work ex, the good decision that you made was moving out of a typical IT services role and jumping into banking. That adds diversity to the profile.

Your entrepreneurial experience is good but it has to be handled carefully. Many applicants get strangled because they are into a job and start a venture in parallel and are not able to clearly justify need of MBA and post MBA goals.

Your extra currics especially badminton related achievements will also add a dimension to your profile.

Our only worry is your post MBA goals. If you can justify that well, chances are really good.

Apphelp Team

Thanks Apphelp for your advice. My post MBA goals are to create a national brand in the skill development education sector which is financially profitable, thanks to government support and the large pool of workers in the unorganised sector as well as explore various other opportunities in the manufacturing and real estate sector with the assistance of my sister, who is a grad from IIM A , and is an entrepreneur helself and whose firm is currently employing more than 1000 people. :)

My goals seem to lack focus to many but sadly that's who I am, a multitasker. I love to be engrossed in several things at once because I believe I am good at focussing on multiple things at the same time. Whenever I feel let down by any specific task I like to work with something different which clears my mind about previous probs and I start afresh and it gives me a new outlook. :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asheesh Nayak wrote:
Apphelp wrote:
Asheesh Nayak wrote:
Hi Asheesh,

Apphelp Team

Thanks Apphelp for your advice. My post MBA goals are to create a national brand in the skill development education sector which is financially profitable, thanks to government support and the large pool of workers in the unorganised sector as well as explore various other opportunities in the manufacturing and real estate sector with the assistance of my sister, who is a grad from IIM A , and is an entrepreneur helself and whose firm is currently employing more than 1000 people. :)

My goals seem to lack focus to many but sadly that's who I am, a multitasker. I love to be engrossed in several things at once because I believe I am good at focussing on multiple things at the same time. Whenever I feel let down by any specific task I like to work with something different which clears my mind about previous probs and I start afresh and it gives me a new outlook. :(

Asheesh,

I think we should talk on phone about this. Feel free to call us on +91 9871354580.
I am not doubting your capability to achieve the goals you have mentioned. The challenge i see is that this story will be difficult to sell to adcom and convince them that you will be able to get into education sector without any hands on experience.

So, as mentioned lets discuss this in detail on phone.

Apphelp Team
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Profile Evaluation for ISB [#permalink]
Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate it if someone could assess my profile and answer a few queries:-

Male
Age - 25

I just took the GMAT for the first time on 7 - Oct - 2015 and scored 700 (Q-47 V-39)

My Acads are as follows:-

B-Tech - Electronics and Communications - Manipal Institute of Technology:- CGPA - 7.84/10
XII Grade - 88%
X Grade - 92%

My work experience is as follows, it will be 3 years by the time i start my MBA assuming i start it mid-next year

I am a Quality Engineer at a division of Standard and Poors (a financial services firm). However, my role is fairly differentiated from regular Quality Assurance Roles.

I have gained significant domain knowledge of the working of global capital markets, specifically the buy side. My projects have involved design critique, testing, results interpretation and maintenance of Portfolio Management Solutions.

I have also mentored people here. Also, our work culture entails working with very diverse individuals and cultures across the world and need good communication skills with strong emphasis on articulating information deferentially based on the kind of stakeholders who are its intended consumers. These stakeholders include everything from product team individuals, business analysts, developers and financial engineers.

Prior to this I had two internships:-

- One at a public sector firm designing a network centric solution for a radar system
- One at an automation and control firm designing and testing a control system

I am also a candidate in the Chartered financial Analyst (CFA) program - level 1 in december - and believe that this certification will compliment my MBA - finance.

My Co-curricular's include

- Bassist and co-founder of several bands
- independently organized several concerts - including setting memorandums of understanding with co-organizers, acquiring sponsors, funds and headlining and associated performers
- Voluntary services organisation - Social Service

My goal is to acquire some quality education and exposure by pursuing an MBA Finance. My current role keeps gives me quality exposure to the buy side aspect of the capital markets but limited exposure overall. Also, my job title and function does not entail a very client facing role, i believe that the MBA will help me accomplish both of these and much more.

On the basis of all these postulates, could someone please evaluate my profile and advise areas of improvement needed? Including if the GMAT Score is enough (do i need to retake) and what other areas could this profile be improved upon?

Also, i wanted to ask, how much of a difference is there in applying in round 1 and round 2? Are the chances of getting different for these two?

Thanks in advance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
tushar1190 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate it if someone could assess my profile and answer a few queries:-

Male
Age - 25

I just took the GMAT for the first time on 7 - Oct - 2015 and scored 700 (Q-47 V-39)

My Acads are as follows:-

B-Tech - Electronics and Communications - Manipal Institute of Technology:- CGPA - 7.84/10
XII Grade - 88%
X Grade - 92%

My work experience is as follows, it will be 3 years by the time i start my MBA assuming i start it mid-next year

I am a Quality Engineer at a division of Standard and Poors (a financial services firm). However, my role is fairly differentiated from regular Quality Assurance Roles.

I have gained significant domain knowledge of the working of global capital markets, specifically the buy side. My projects have involved design critique, testing, results interpretation and maintenance of Portfolio Management Solutions.

I have also mentored people here. Also, our work culture entails working with very diverse individuals and cultures across the world and need good communication skills with strong emphasis on articulating information deferentially based on the kind of stakeholders who are its intended consumers. These stakeholders include everything from product team individuals, business analysts, developers and financial engineers.

Prior to this I had two internships:-

- One at a public sector firm designing a network centric solution for a radar system
- One at an automation and control firm designing and testing a control system

I am also a candidate in the Chartered financial Analyst (CFA) program - level 1 in december - and believe that this certification will compliment my MBA - finance.

My Co-curricular's include

- Bassist and co-founder of several bands
- independently organized several concerts - including setting memorandums of understanding with co-organizers, acquiring sponsors, funds and headlining and associated performers
- Voluntary services organisation - Social Service

My goal is to acquire some quality education and exposure by pursuing an MBA Finance. My current role keeps gives me quality exposure to the buy side aspect of the capital markets but limited exposure overall. Also, my job title and function does not entail a very client facing role, i believe that the MBA will help me accomplish both of these and much more.

On the basis of all these postulates, could someone please evaluate my profile and advise areas of improvement needed? Including if the GMAT Score is enough (do i need to retake) and what other areas could this profile be improved upon?

Also, i wanted to ask, how much of a difference is there in applying in round 1 and round 2? Are the chances of getting different for these two?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tushar,

There is practically no difference in applying to ISB in Round 1 vs Round 2.

Your experience is good. Especially given your domain exposure which is not very common. But ISB may not be the best schools to transition into a core finance, investments related role given a one year program with no internship. While you can apply to ISB, we see 3 yrs and 700 as something which can be a roadblock. Also, not sure whether ISB is the right school for you.

Feel free to contact us for a detailed discussion.

Apphelp Team
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Guys i will be applying for next year. I am yet to give Gmat , please help in evaluating my profile and the pitfalls...

School-Many debate and declamation certificates ...............

10th-81.2% 12th-73% Btech-73.4%

Btech- 4 years fest registration coordinator + fest organiser in collegue

Pradhan mantri scholarship during btech ................

Marketting job-2 months (online blogger,online marketting executive,Facebook marketting) .....................

Financial work- Postgraduation diploma in banking services-7.87 cgpa

3months internship and work at axis bank

Nism certification mutual funds certified national level certificate

Nism certification depository National level certificate....................

Worked as system engineer in infosys for U.S. company(Tesla motors) International work experience of around 1.5 month at client location in Netherlands.

Best performer of the team for many months. Got rolling trophy for that.

Acting team lead. ....................

PHP Certified, Few Internal Certifications.

. Hobby- i have a keen interest in graphology( handwriting analysis.) I am a certified handwriting specialist from graphology school of india. I am a certified signature specialist from graphology school of india......

. I am also associated with ngo's and network of students who do events for a cause in schools and all...

CRY - International level ngo .i work as online volunteer for that. ......

Joined another Network- organized events in schools worked for cause and taught students ....................

Total wrk ex 39months at time of applying
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
negi00000 wrote:
Guys i will be applying for next year. I am yet to give Gmat , please help in evaluating my profile and the pitfalls...

School-Many debate and declamation certificates ...............

10th-81.2% 12th-73% Btech-73.4%

Btech- 4 years fest registration coordinator + fest organiser in collegue

Pradhan mantri scholarship during btech ................

Marketting job-2 months (online blogger,online marketting executive,Facebook marketting) .....................

Financial work- Postgraduation diploma in banking services-7.87 cgpa

3months internship and work at axis bank

Nism certification mutual funds certified national level certificate

Nism certification depository National level certificate....................

Worked as system engineer in infosys for U.S. company(Tesla motors) International work experience of around 1.5 month at client location in Netherlands.

Best performer of the team for many months. Got rolling trophy for that.

Acting team lead. ....................

PHP Certified, Few Internal Certifications.

. Hobby- i have a keen interest in graphology( handwriting analysis.) I am a certified handwriting specialist from graphology school of india. I am a certified signature specialist from graphology school of india......

. I am also associated with ngo's and network of students who do events for a cause in schools and all...

CRY - International level ngo .i work as online volunteer for that. ......

Joined another Network- organized events in schools worked for cause and taught students ....................

Total wrk ex 39months at time of applying

Your work experience and extar currics look good. The only issue i see is a laundry list of activities. Dont try to present yourself as a candidate who has scratched the surface when it comes to marketing, has done tech certifications, graphology, some finance related certification, CRY etc etc.

Focus on 2-3 key areas and highlight that. I see Graphology, Some international/ client related experience and finance related certification/ internship as key. Chuck out college fests, marketing job, tech certification and NGO thing for sure.

Try to get a 710+ on GMAT. It will be key given that your are an IT applicant.

Apphelp Team
GMAT Club Bot