Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
su04805 wrote:
Hello,

Please help me with my profile evaluation.

Nationality: Indian

Academics:
1. 10th (State Board) – 89.45%
2. 12th (State Board) – 89.00%
3. B.Tech, Computer Engineering (Top college in State), Class of 2016 – 7.29/10.0 CPI
4. GRE: 325 (Q:170, V:155, AWA: 3.5)

Work Experience:
12 Months of Full time work experience at a Foreign Bank working on multiple user/regulatory projects. Joined at a higher cadre and on a fasttrack to promotion.

Achievements/Extra-Curriculars:
1. Created a multi-platform application having 300,000+ users. Featured on LifeHacker.
2. Headed the Entrepreneurship Cell in College.
3. Black Belt in Karate
4. Have Moderate experience with NGOs both during college and work.

I want to continue wokring in the FinTech field.

I plan to Apply with the early entry option. What are my chances and what could I do to improve my profile? Also, is applying using GRE detrimental to my application?

Thanks In Advance!

Hi su04805,

The good news is that applying with a GRE score is not going to be disadvantageous at all. Besides your strong academic background will also feature in. At this point, we recommend that you focus on creating a stellar application that portrays a strong sync among your short-term goals, long-term aspirations, and your need for an MBA.

Moving to your query on profile improvement, we suggest that you keep performing in your current role, in order to have as many talking points as you can in your application. Further, try allocating some time towards the social work that you have been involved with and have some tangible stories to share. Alternately, you could also join a Social Club in your vicinity.

If you are able to take care of the above-mentioned points, you definitely have a good chance at cracking ISB! ☺

Should you feel the need to have a detailed discussion, please let us know ☺

All the best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rumanshu1990 wrote:
Hi,

Please Find below my profile for Evaluation.

Nationality: Indian

Academics:
1. Class X (CBSE Board) – 90.00%
2. Class XII (CBSE Board) – 83.33%
3. B.E.(Hons.), Civil Engineering (BITS Pilani, Pilani Campus), Class of 2014 – 6.47/10.0 CGPA

Work Experience:
35 months of Full Time experience (as of today, 08.08.17) as an Engineer in Nippon Koei India Consulting Engineers, Indian Subsidiary of the largest Construction consultancy of Japan. I have worked on 02 projects
1. Western Dedicated Freight Corridor, Phase 1(Project Value: 6626 Cr. INR) as a Project Management Consultant in the Field Execution Team.
2. MLIT Study of Indian Railway Level Crossings. Study Project, mostly Data Collection and concluding with a report on generic installations/mechanisms by Ministry of Railways.

Achievements and Extra-Curriculars:
Was associated with an NGO Nirmaan while in graduation i.e. 4yrs.. Worked in various capacities such as :
1. Project Leader, Gyan Bodh
One of the Education Initiatives project where we used to teach underprivileged kids in a nearby Village. Led a team of 24 volunteers. Implemented Activity based learning approach.
2. Event Coordinator, Apogee and Daan Utsav(erstwhile Joy Of Giving Week)
Conducted 3 main events of the Tech Fest, Apogee. Coordinated with Ramon Magsaysay Award Winner Dr. Rajendra Singh, The Water Man of India to deliver a talk and judge the Event.
Coordinated events for Daan Utsav at BITS PILANI. Managed a team of 30 Volunteers and conducted numerous events throughout the week.
3. Conducted various Fund Raising Events for Nirmaan.
4. Coordinated with the Alumni Association and set up Pilani Resource Centre which now houses various NGOs such as Pratham, HARVA, Nabard, Helpage India and Nirmaan.
5. School Captain

Projects:
1. 2 Technical Projects, namely Depletion of Groundwater Table in the Tribal and Industrial Areas Of Andhra Pradesh and Reduction of Power Consumption through Energy Efficient buildings.
2. Commercially practiced Cultural Sexual Exploitation.
A study project on two communities if India who practice Cultural Sexual Exploitation. Also reviewed two related books.

I plan to give my GMAT in early September and targeting ISB( with scholarship).
I am looking at the Consulting Industry Post MBA. Which other schools should I target?
What should my target score be with respect to ISB and also for other schools.

Thanks In Advance!

Hi Rumanshu1990

Thanks for sharing your details.

To begin with, BITS Pilani is a very strong brand to have on your resume. Adding to this, your work experience and strong extracurricular activities will definitely strengthen your application, even further.

That said, your GPA is on the lower side. However, a GMAT above 700, should definitely help cover up for the same, as well as ensure that you have a strong chance at ISB. Further, in case you are planning to apply abroad, please aim for as high a score as you can. Remember, GMAT expectations for Indian candidates are always higher ☺

Should you feel the need to discuss this further, do let us know! ☺

Good Luck with everything! ☺
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashishmathur14 wrote:
Background and nationality: 32,Male, Indian, currently working in UK

Undergrad Information: BE Computer Science from a state university with a private engineering college in 2007 with 64%.
GMAT: Yet to take

Work experience and leadership - 10 years of work experience into IT Industry, worked for Big international clients while working with TOP IT service providers.
10 years of work experience expands across domains like Life Sciences, CRM and Oil and Gas. Worked into technologies like Java, iOS Applications. Currently into Project Management with responsibilities like vendor management, stakeholder management, resource and budgets. Managed teams of size 20+ in a multi application environment. Currently deployed with a Oil Major in London looking after their trading needs.

Community and others:

Post MBA goals: Always having this urge to do an MBA as I always wanted to contribute more towards the leadership of an organization. To lead the information technology business to new heights.

Anything else?

Hi Ashish,

Your work experience is substantial and with that in mind, you will have to:
1. show that you will contribute significantly to the classroom
2. explain why you need an MBA at this point in your life.
Your goals as mentioned here are elementary and need a lot more thought. You will have to be realistic about what you can achieve post MBA, at the same time, there has to be some aspiration in the goals. Think about a more refined vision than- leading a IT business to new heights- as this is generic.

Also do not mention " I always had the urge to do an MBA" - you will get asked, what took you so long??

All the best for your GMAT- the upside of applying with more work experience is that adcoms are more forgiving of a lower GMAt score. Nevertheless, aim for a 700+.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.25
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Candidate Name: Shubham Chauhan
City, Country: Rayong, Thailand
GMAT - 680
Schooling
• 10th and 12th Grades: 93% (CBSE, District level Merit Holder) , 88% (MP Board) respectively
• Extracurricular activities: Cricket and Photography
College (Graduation)
College name: Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
• Degree: B. Tech [Mechanical]
• Grades: 8.15/10
• Notable projects undertaken: Generation of Hot Spots in Photovoltaic cell at Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA
Professional Experience
I have worked in three locations of same company. Total Experience ~ 4.3 Years( Till Date)
 Polyplex Corporation Limited
 Role- Management Trainee
 Location- Noida India
 Tenure- 6months [June’13-Nov’13]
 Polyplex Europa
 Role- Management Trainee
Location- Çorlu, Turkey
 Tenure- 6months [Dec’13-May’14]

 Polyplex Thailand Public Company Limited
 Role- Production Analyst (Manager) reporting to General Manager (Head-Operations) and Now working as Process Manager (Production) since May’16
Location- Rayong, Thailand
 Tenure- 26 months [June’14- Till date]

Professional Experience:-
Job Profile – I am the youngest person in the company to have been hired at the post of Manager in the company’s history of 30+ years.
Polyplex Group is the 4th Largest manufacturer of Polyester Film in the world with locations in India, Turkey, Thailand and USA and distribution offices in Poland, China, Netherlands, Singapore etc.

Operational Analyst
For 2 years, I worked under Head-Operations (General Manager) of company as operational Analyst. In this profile, my work catered to the data analysis on various aspects for the plant improvement. I have been involved in high decision making body for the turn-around of the company. For this I worked with Managing Director of the company. I was completely responsible for CAPEX proposal, MIS Generation. One of my proposals accepted by top management resulted in annual saving of USD 1 million. I got a fair exposure of general management of the company including the financial aspects. In this role, I got a fair view of all areas of running a business, right from Inventory management to product manufacturing to Manpower Management along with the sales strategy of the company. I have been part of all CEO Review meetings, which gave me an amazing experience of how top management deals with problems and how does senior management perceive things.

Process Manager
Looking into the good performance, I have been shifted to the core operations as process Manager (Industrial Film Division), independently handling the operations of 2000MT/Month production capacity polyester film plant. Plant is $100 Million facility, with state of the art setup
I am responsible for all process related trouble shooting and all new product development related activities, handling day-to-day operational activities involved in Production.

50 Thai nationals report me directly (Production Department)

Experience of working outside India in Non English Speaking Country-

Living abroad in countries such as Turkey and Thailand, where the native language is not English, has been a challenging but my life’s most interesting experience. You will have to adapt to a new culture and a new way of life. Immersing in foreign environment required flexibility and determination. That was not easy at the beginning but it has been a great life lesson. I found myself becoming more independent and more outspoken person. Taking decision to go abroad opened my mind and opportunities. I met people that don’t necessarily think and live like i did. This has called me into question what I’ve believed in so far and gave me opportunity to grow from this experience. Working and Hanging out with localities of Thailand gave me chance to live in this amazing culture and experience more closely.
Extracurricular Activities & Achievements
 In College
o Received Dean’s List Award for excellent academic performance in IIT in last four semesters (consecutively)
o Won College Competition organized among all IIT Gandhinagar Students. Got opportunity for Internship in Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA. Received an award of $1000 as part of competition win.
o Part of College Cricket Team , which represented Inter-IIT Sports Meet Organized in IIT Delhi
o Marketing Manager of IIT-GN Technical Annual Summit. Had at team of 15 young students. Footfall of Summit increased threefold
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
shubham12123 wrote:
Candidate Name: Shubham Chauhan
City, Country: Rayong, Thailand
GMAT - 680
Schooling
• 10th and 12th Grades: 93% (CBSE, District level Merit Holder) , 88% (MP Board) respectively
• Extracurricular activities: Cricket and Photography
College (Graduation)
College name: Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
• Degree: B. Tech [Mechanical]
• Grades: 8.15/10
• Notable projects undertaken: Generation of Hot Spots in Photovoltaic cell at Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA
Professional Experience
I have worked in three locations of same company. Total Experience ~ 4.3 Years( Till Date)

Hi Shubham,

I love your profile and am feeling excited about your application. All the best and I hope it works out brilliantly for you.
The only weak link is your GMAT score. It should fly with ISB, but if you are planning to apply to some US colleges as well, then you should shoot for a retake. And I'd suggest you do apply to some US/ European MBAs because of your strong profile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Hi, All. Need some help with my profile evaluation for ISB class of 2018-19. Wanted to understand what do you guys think about the strengths, weaknesses, and areas of improvement in my profile?

1. M/Engineer from MIT, Manipal. CGPA 6.5. 12th 82%, 10th 92%.
2. Expected GMAT score as per mocks = ~700 ( Q49 V35)
3. Work ex of 3.5 years my March 2018 in a popular startup in a niche industry and role.
4. Have led a sales team of 30+. Work ex is purely around business development and marketing for a particular product. Can show good personal growth over the past 3 years. Have participated and played a key role in international visits in the middle east market as well for market expansion purposes of the product line I manage.
5. Will get strong LORs ( probably from ISB alums )
6. Have had good leadership experience in college, being the executive board member of world's largest youth run organization. Have attended and conducted conferences (one in ISB itself), events, have done a good amount of event marketing.
7. Have some blog writing experience.
8. Short term and long term goals are absolutely clear.
9. Have a good amount of training and leadership experience.
10. Have participated in decision making heavily for both b2b marketing and (online) performance marketing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Please review my profile. I am applying in R1 and my GMAT is 710 (Dec 2015).

Academics-
10th - 82%
12th - 93%
B.Tech (Mechanical engg) - JNTU - 78%
M.Tech (Mechanical engg) - IIT Guwahati - 9.6/10
PG Diploma in Marketing management (1 yr part time weekend, 2016-2017) - SIBM pune - 8.24/10

Work experience - 3 years
Manager - New product development, Passenger cars at TATA Motors Ltd
Representing R&D in new product development team to create product configurations and concepts for 2019-2023.
Worked in liaison with finance, marketing, manufacturing and design teams
Coordinated with R&D teams across Europe and India to drive project delivery as per timelines.

Part time work ex of 1 year in family business (SME manufacturing) during under graduate.
Worked to reduce production costs and acquire new clients.

Extra curricular-
Placement coordinator at IIT Guwahati
Organized fests and events during under graduate
Squash player (amateur)
Tata Motors CSR volunteer

Post MBA I wish to work in Strategy/Business development in short term with reputed organizations.
and I intend to join family business and expand it in the long term.

I got a reject 2 years ago when I applied for EEO. Should I mention it as a re-applicant? Any disadvantages.

Thanks in advance.
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishek911 wrote:
Hi, All. Need some help with my profile evaluation for ISB class of 2018-19. Wanted to understand what do you guys think about the strengths, weaknesses, and areas of improvement in my profile?

1. M/Engineer from MIT, Manipal. CGPA 6.5. 12th 82%, 10th 92%.
2. Expected GMAT score as per mocks = ~700 ( Q49 V35)
3. Work ex of 3.5 years my March 2018 in a popular startup in a niche industry and role.
4. Have led a sales team of 30+. Work ex is purely around business development and marketing for a particular product. Can show good personal growth over the past 3 years. Have participated and played a key role in international visits in the middle east market as well for market expansion purposes of the product line I manage.
5. Will get strong LORs ( probably from ISB alums )
6. Have had good leadership experience in college, being the executive board member of world's largest youth run organization. Have attended and conducted conferences (one in ISB itself), events, have done a good amount of event marketing.
7. Have some blog writing experience.
8. Short term and long term goals are absolutely clear.
9. Have a good amount of training and leadership experience.
10. Have participated in decision making heavily for both b2b marketing and (online) performance marketing

Hi abhishek911.

Thanks for sharing your details.

Your overall profile, complete with leadership experience, international exposure, and start-up experience sounds very good ☺

Having said the above, your CGPA is definitely on the lower side. At this point, we recommend that you focus entirely on your GMAT preparation. Do aim for a score above 720, as that may also help compensate for your CGPA, as well as boost your chances for selection

Once you have the desired GMAT score, please work towards preparing an application, which represents your strengths in an appropriate manner, as well as focuses on the logical sync between your professional experience and future goals.

With all of the above in place, we are confident that you will make a very competitive applicant for ISB! ☺

You may reach out to us, should you feel the need for a free detailed profile evaluation. ☺

All the best!
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Send PM