Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile.

I am a Piping Engineer with 5 years of experience in a large EPC company in the Oil and Gas sector. I also have 1.5 years of experience as a Research Assistant (started immediately after graduation, worked on Computational Fluid Dynamics).

The following are my acads:

X - 90.4%
XII - 88.5%
Mechanical Engineering, NIT Warangal (2007-2011) - 8.0 CGPA
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V35)

Also, I wish to know if I should give GMAT another try and target around 740.

Thanks in advance

Deepak
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I am a Piping Engineer with 5 years of experience in a large EPC company in the Oil and Gas sector. I also have 1.5 years of experience as a Research Assistant (started immediately after graduation, worked on Computational Fluid Dynamics).

X - 90.4%
XII - 88.5%
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V35)

Thanks in advance

Deepak
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi,

X - 90.4%
XII - 88.5%
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V35)

Thanks in advance

Deepak
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

X - 90.4%
XII - 88.5%
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V35)

Thanks in advance

Deepak
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello tomhagen1989

Keep in mind that ISB looks at your Stats & Quality of the profile.
The information that you have given covers just the Stats part.
ISB will evaluate your candidature holistically on the following factors-

1. Academic Potential- To see if you can handle the academic rigor. Your past scores+GMAT will be the criteria to judge this. Your past scores are good. However, GMAT score, though good is not stellar. That means you will have to show a spike in other areas of your profile to stand a good chance.
2. Quality of Work Ex- My friend just mentioning number of years and your position will not help. Where is the Quality of your work? What is your career progress? What are your key achievements? Why are you a good candidate for ISB? You will have to bring this out in your essays.
3. Diversity- Your profile can score some points in terms of diversity, but your written application will have to convince ISB that you will be a good addition to the class. How will your peers benefit from you?
4. Clarity of Goals- You can have a 760 GMAT, but you will not get an admission unless you have clear goals for Why MBA & Why ISB. This is the deciding factor for getting an interview call. You have not mentioned this, so it is virtually impossible to give a quality feedback.
The application season for ISB is already open. If you are 100% confident that you can reach a score of 745-750 in just a few days, I would say go ahead for it.
However, my recommendation would be that you rather spend your time and effort on building a strong written application. Brainstorm and finalize your goals and then put those into great essays. A 710 may not be stellar, but it gives the Adcom confidence that you can handle academics. The application part becomes more crucial at that stage.
If you wish to have a detailed discussion feel free to get in touch.

Best
Varun

tomhagen1989 wrote:
Hi oneMBAcoach,

X - 90.4%
XII - 88.5%
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V35)

Thanks in advance

Deepak
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
youmanjee wrote:
Hello
Profile evaluation needed please
Chemical Engineer currently working with Reliance Industries Limited
X-91 %
XII-89 %
Graduation - 66 %
I graduated as a chemical engineer from Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune. 6 months In I started working in one of the oldest and prestigious Fertiliser Plant owned by Jaypee Group, in ammonia manufacturing.
I started out as GET and rose my way up to Shift manager. My profile was of operation control, i mostly worked in a highly advanced control room, Work usually involed and later grew to process control, coordinating various teams for successful startup and shutdown of plants, planning work permits, manpower allocation,

After my stint at Jaypee fertilizers, i have recently Joined reliance, jamnagar supersite, in commissioning of the world's largest Gasification system. I am working here as Manager, operations. In a jist manpower management, job allocation, Job planning and Execution, Resource mobilization are a few things in my KRA.

Apart from this during my college years the was director, media relations in the leo club(a social club affiliated to Lions International) , which mainly involved us in visits to underprivileged children (education program), eye checkup Camps, visits to old age homes, deaf and mute schools, handicapped homes, member of organizing team of Maharashtra's biggest basketball event fireball for 4 years.
Apart from that i once volunteered in teaching underprivileged kids while i was at home after graduation looking for a job.
I like to photograph and have acquired a decent portfolio, although not a professional, i am a member of Reliance Greens Photography club.

In my previous Gmat attempt I could Only score 580 (q45 v28)
4.5 years of experience in Technical and technical administration. I want to now expand my career into management, strategic planning and also somwhere i have mote safer work environments(a petrochemical industry is a risky area afterall).
Do i need to put in more to my profile?

Thanks in advance
Umang

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Umang,

I see a good profile in general and sincerely hope you will get the GMAT score up to 700+. Not a mean feat, many have achieved those kinds of jumps in scores. Deploy the right studying strategies and you will gain.

Overall your work experience will make for some interesting leadership stories and career progression. The work at your refineries is challenging and intense- it requires quick decision making, taking responsibility voluntarily and scope to lead others - senior managers as well as the lower staff. Deeply mine your stories relevant for an MBA application and present an impressive picture to the adcom.

Ae you doing any volunteering / CSR related work? Your college extra-circulars are a little dated now, so having something fresh to offer on the table will be a favourable thing. If there are activities where you can get involved within the township/the factory campus, it will help. This could be related to both/either community building / CSR.

An MBA is a good idea, however, you will need clarity on your career goals and why MBA. Easy as this may sound, a good number of applicants do not articulate their career goals well enough, so pay a lot of thought and consideration to this most important element of your application.

Feel free to schedule a free profile evaluation with us.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
AashdeepKaur wrote:
Hi,

Can someone pls help me in evaluation my profile

I have a master degree in HR from UBS, Punjab University Chandigarh

Academic Scores :
MBA HR : 65%
BCA: 70%
12th: 73%
10th : 74%

Age , Gender: 29, Female

Work Experience: 4yrs plus working in India’s one of the top metal and mining company as HR Manager and unit HR head and currently in a Blinds Manufacturing Company as HR head.

Hobbies : Reading , Travelling, Adventure sports , Music

I am aiming for 700+ gmat score .

I have following concerns:
I have 2 yrs gap in between two jobs which I feel might affect my admission
Also my scores are a bit shaky . Should I be concerned?

Target Colleges: ISB, IIMs

Should I aim for colleges out of India ?

Thanks

Hi Aashdeep,

I did initially wonder (until I read the end of the post) about why your WE was less in comparison to your age. The two-year gap explains it.
I'd be a little concerned about both- the age (more than class average) and the 2 year gap. Adcoms too are concerned about age gaps and you would have to explain them the reasons (nothing frivolous will do).

The positive side is, you seem to have grown reasonably well in your four-year career, finally heading a department. This also accentuates the need for explaining why you need an MBA, and why now.

I'd say that you should spread your self out and apply to more b-schools, not just ISB. While I am not high on suggesting an American MBA to you, you could consider options within India ( the IIMs) as well as Europe. Some of the European MBA also have specializations in HR, if that is in your mind.

There are a lot of questions in my mind as I read your profile. If you are looking for a more detailed profile evaluation, you can share your story (& resume) with me and get some sound advice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Kudos
tomhagen1989 wrote:
Hi,

X - 90.4%
XII - 88.5%
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V35)

Thanks in advance

Deepak

Hi Deepak,

At the outset, please be informed that 710 is a good score. It really depends which schools you are targetting to do your MBA. If ISB is the only school you want to get into, then I will suggest start working on your application. With a good resume, strong LORs and a convincing story, 710 will not pose any threat to your chances of admission to ISB. I have seen people with 680 get in and people with 750 dinged.
It is true that average GMAT scores have increased over the years but 710 still gives you a good chance to be called for an interview. At the interview, if you are able to convince your interviewers well, then you will be in.
If you want to apply to schools in the US, 710 might seem less for top 10 -15 schools (per the USNews ranking). As you will research more about schools in US, you will come to know of schools which are GMAT oriented. My suggestions will be to apply to a wide range of schools to increase your chances of getting in somewhere with a good offer.
ISB is not well known for giving scholarships. Hence, with an admission offer you will be standing on the same pedestal as someone with a 750. Above all, 6-7 years of experience is the sweet spot to do your MBA from ISB. Why waste one year preparing when you can start assimilating content for your application now.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM

Originally posted by xdRD on 23 May 2018, 12:58.
Last edited by xdRD on 06 Jun 2021, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi! You have a very unique and distinct profile, very decent academics, and optimum work experience.

Your current GMAT score is by no means a show-stopper and is a good-to-go score, for ISB (or any school for that matter). Having said that, if your question is:

Is a score of 740 better than a score of 710 and would it increase your chances of a final admit (everything else remaining the same)?

Then, my answer would be a definite Yes. However, before I go all-out and recommend you to reappear in GMAT, I would like to know how much you were scoring in your mock tests?

If you were consistently scoring better than 710, then perhaps it might make sense to re-attempt. However if you were scoring largely around your current score of 710, then it might perhaps not make sense for you to put in a whole lot of effort towards re-preparation to increase your score by 20-30 points.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Hi Rahul, your transition from Civil Engineering to Data Analytics, your motivation to do MBA, and your career goals become very crucial at this stage. A coherent articulation of all these facets, will to a long way, towards strengthening your candidature.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello RahulDobriyal

Your past scores + GMAT looks good to go.
Work ex is on the lower side, what are you key achievements to show some maturity here? Also, be prepared to answer the question Why MBA now? Why do you need it at this stage and what makes you ready for an MBA?
Your extracurricular seem very interesting, but mention in detail what is the impact that you have had.
You stand a fighting chance if you can bring out the need of an MBA at this stage of your career.
Needless to say how well you package your written application and essays is going to be the deciding factor.

All the best

Varun

RahulDobriyal wrote:
ABatExpertsGlobal wrote:
RahulDobriyal wrote:
Hello Evaluators,

Please reviee my profile for ISB

10th - 89% ICSE
12th - 74% CBSE
CGPA - 7.99 NIT Kurukshetra
Work Ex. - 3 Years as Data Analyst
GMAT : 720

pls let me know if i missed anything

Hi RahulDobriyal,

We are a bit late in responding to you. Apologies for the same :)

While your GMAT score looks good, we would need more information about your role at work, leadership experiences, extra-curricular engagements etc in order to make a complete assessment. In case you haven't already applied in the previous round, please feel free to share your details with us and we will be happy to help :)

All the best!
I have done B.Tech in Civil Engg. with 8 CGPA from NIT Kurukshetra. I was Placement Coordinator for my college and my role included to bring various organizations to our college for Recruitment and make arrangements for written tests and conduct interviews.

Also i worked in technical societies in my college and organised many events and fests there.

I had summer internship in NTPC limited where my work was primarily related to cost estimation of a building construction.

After the golden period, i have been working for WNS global services as Analyst for 1 year (2 years in total as 1st year spent was as Trainee analyst)

My work includes a mix of marketing and Data analytics in healthcare vertical. During my 2 year stint here, i have received 2 awards, one for Operational Excellence and and another for Business Innovation.

Alongwith that, i have been helping a NGO with creating excel reports that help them in providing right resources to right students all over India.

Also i have been involved in a startup of my friend that involves some tehnical product development regarding Environment cleaning.

Apart from this i am a photographer and clicking landscapes for a travel startup. I love to travel and explore new places and food.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my MI 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
RahulDobriyal wrote:

Please reviee my profile for ISB

10th - 89% ICSE
12th - 74% CBSE
CGPA - 7.99 NIT Kurukshetra
Work Ex. - 3 Years as Data Analyst
GMAT : 720

I have done B.Tech in Civil Engg. with 8 CGPA from NIT Kurukshetra. I was Placement Coordinator for my college and my role included to bring various organizations to our college for Recruitment and make arrangements for written tests and conduct interviews.

Also i worked in technical societies in my college and organised many events and fests there.

I had summer internship in NTPC limited where my work was primarily related to cost estimation of a building construction.

After the golden period, i have been working for WNS global services as Analyst for 1 year (2 years in total as 1st year spent was as Trainee analyst)

My work includes a mix of marketing and Data analytics in healthcare vertical. During my 2 year stint here, i have received 2 awards, one for Operational Excellence and and another for Business Innovation.

Alongwith that, i have been helping a NGO with creating excel reports that help them in providing right resources to right students all over India.

Also i have been involved in a startup of my friend that involves some tehnical product development regarding Environment cleaning.

Apart from this i am a photographer and clicking landscapes for a travel startup. I love to travel and explore new places and food.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my MI 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Rahul,

That's a good, balance profile overall.
A couple of tips:

1. Your work experience is the more relevant admission component when compared to college and extracurricular achievement. So you should always give more weightage to it in your application and when you talk to the admissions teams. Many applicants make this mistake in their applications and I see your profile description also focuses a little less on the work exp, hence the explanation.

2. Its always good to have depth in a particular activity rather than breadth (several activities but lesser involvement). So for the rest of the year, focus your energies on those 1-2 activities where you can make some quantifiable impact, rather than chasing too many extracurricular activities at once. I am not asking you to do anything new, merely stary focussed on what you are doing already.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
tomhagen1989 wrote:
Hi,

X - 90.4%
XII - 88.5%
GMAT - 710 (Q50, V35)

Thanks in advance

Deepak

Hi tomhagen1989,

Thanks for sharing your query and profile details.

You definitely have a differentiated background and this will certainly provide you an edge :-) Of course, a lot will depend on how well you present your case to the Admissions Committee through your essays, which must appropriately mention your strengths, leadership experience, reasons for an MBA, and, of course, a set of career goals that seamlessly fit in with your career thus far.

Having said the above, while a 710 is around the average GMAT score at ISB and should give you a good chance at getting an interview call (provided everything else is done well), a 740 will, of course, boost your chances significantly. So, if you feel you will be able to push your GMAT score and have the time for a retake, you must definitely go for a retake. There is absolutely nothing to lose here :-)

Should you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

All the best! :-)
Send PM
Expert Reply
YagnyadattaB wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to apply in ISB for 2018-2019 batch. I have got a good score in GMAT too. Below is my profile details.

GMAT - 740
X - 74%
XII - 70%
B-Tech - 74%
Work experience - 6.5 Years.

Please evaluate my profile and let me know where do I stand? It would be great if you could evaluate for other Business schools too, which are out side India.

Hi YagnyadattaB,

Sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.

Congratulations on a fine GMAT score and we are quite certain this stands you a strong chance at cracking ISB as well as many other schools around the globe! :-)

However, the GMAT is only a component of your candidature and to be able to provide you a more detailed evaluation, we will require details regarding the nature of your work, achievements, leadership experience, extra-curricular activities, career goals etc. Every school evaluates your application as a whole and each of these elements will have a significant role to play, particularly as you sit down to write your essays.

Hope to hear from you with regard to the above-mentioned points so we can help you out :-)

All the best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
himbha93 wrote:
Hello All,

I shall be grateful if some can review my profile and give some guidance.

10th : 86%
12th : 88%

B.Tech Marine Engineering : 88.9% (BITS Pilani)

Work Experience: 3 Years, held two positions, currently sailing as Fourth Engineer with Maersk Tankers.

Job Description:
1. Operational, maintenance and troubleshooting responsibilities of a ship's engine room
2. Demand and Procurement Planning.
3. Cross-Cultural Teamwork
4. Quality Assurance.
5. Part of Dry Dock Team of a ship. Handling equipment worth 5 million dollars.

Extra Curricular:
1. Awarded Maersk Study Scholarship for performance in Internship.
2. Academic Scholarship holder.
3. Won prizes in Technical Competition held a institutions.
4. Organizing committee member of various events at Institution.
5. Various certification courses.

According to my profile, what would the likely GMAT score suitable for ISB.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi himbha93,

Thanks for writing in.

Definitely, a lot working for you in terms of your academic record, pedigree, and extra-curricular activities. Having said that, your professional experiences - leadership responsibilities, problem-solving abilities, and achievements will also play an important role in determining your chances. To add to this, you will need to explain your need for an MBA and how the same fits in with your larger goals, which of course, will need to align well with your professional experience thus far.

An important element in defining your chances at ISB will be how well you manage to thread all of the above-information in essays that stand for your strengths, put forth points that showcase you as worthy of gaining an ISB admit and showcase you as capable of adjusting to the demands of a rigorous MBA program.

Coming to your question now, if you are able to take care of the above and score upwards of a 710 on the GMAT, you will have a good chance of getting an interview call! :-)

We would like to take this opportunity to offer you a free profile evaluation. Should you feel the need for the same, please do reach out to us.

All the best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
knavnit90 wrote:
My profile is as follows
1) 10th board- 83%
2) 12th board-72%
3) BE Mechanical engg. - CGPA = 7.9

4) Currently working in Bhabha Atomic Research Center as scientist (class A gazetted officer ) in project management division. my work here is as follows.
a) Design equipment and system as per the requirement
b) procurement of various items
c) site co-ordination
d) Hire and manage workforce. (3 years of work experience)

5) my schooling id from JAWAHAR NAVODAYA VIDAYALYA ( full residential school) where i was house caption, sports caption and represented my school at various level of sports events.

6) expected GMAT score- 710+

Hi knavnit90,

Thanks for sharing your query.

A differentiated professional profile (with managerial experience) and a strong set of extra-curricular activities certainly add value to your profile and if presented well (along with your achievements and career progression) in your essays, together with a set of career goals, which portray a larger vision and a present a sync with your existing experience, will give you a strong chance at ISB! :-)

A 710 is just around the ISB average and we recommend that you look at something above a 720! :-) Of course, the higher the better.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  81   82   83   84   85  ...  307