GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 10 Jun 2016
Posts: 72
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 02:04
Name: Hitarth Parmar

GMAT: 710 (Q48, Q39); IR - 8; AWA - 5.0.[Recently appeared for my GMAT on 16.02.2018]

10th: 89.7%
12th: 86.2%
Graduation: B.E. Electrical with 7.64/10 CGPA.

Work Experience: 59 months [as on 24.05.2018] at a Public-sector Oil & Gas industry in India. I worked for 53 months in Operations & Maintenance department as an Officer, and was responsible for managing the Routine Maintenance Schedules, Breakdown maintenance with Root Cause Analysis and Report Generation; was responsible for a critical design change which was universalised in the company.

Recently, I have been promoted to Sr. Officer (kind of a big-deal in my organisation :lol: ) and transferred to Projects department since 6 months and have been looking after Project Scheduling, Planning, review and approval of procedures, materials, managing and co-ordinating with other agencies (Consultant, contractor, inspection agencies).

Extra-curriculars: Have won a team event at a national level sports fest in the game of Table Tennis; was associated for 1 year with an NGO.

With a GMAT score of 710, what are my chances of securing a call for interview in ISB? Also, I don't think I did justice to my preparation with 710, so I am planning to re-appear for GMAT by 2nd week of June, 2018. I am targeting anywhere around 740-750. How much would a 30-40 point increment in previous score help me with-

1) Securing admission if I get call from ISB?
2) Securing a scholarship if I get call and admission in ISB?

Just in case I couldn't appear for GMAT, would a score of 710 be enough to secure a call from ISB?

Your help will be thoroughly appreciated.
_________________

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people to think they can't lose" - Bill Gates.

Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 425
Check my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 02:15
vardhanalex wrote:
I am currently working in software developement in a services company. total duration 2 years 2 months.

tenth : 87.4
Twelth :90.60 (school topper)
Btech: 70( government college in Kerala)

Extra curricular : knows kung fu, part of football teams at college and school (no certificates).

i wrote cat this year and scored 97.5. I will be turning 25 this year and am hoping for an executive mba from isb.Do i have a chance of conversion,given my average profile if i score well in GMAT or i should stick with PGP from any good iims.


Hi vardhanalex,

With only 2 years of work experience, you will not be eligible for the executive MBA at ISB. Instead, you should be working towards building your profile to apply to the PGP. We do not have further details on which we can evaluate your profile. However, definitely aim for a score upwards of 720.

All the best!
_________________

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 422
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 02:30
1
Hello Hitarth

You have an interesting profile. Allow me to give you some feedback-

GMAT vs Application
If I were to give you only one piece of advice considering all the info, I'd say spend time on building a strong written application vs re-taking the GMAT.
However, if you are ready with your application and are very confident of improving this score by at least 20-40 points, then by all means go ahead.
Considering that applications are already open and it can take a good 4-6 weeks to write your story (you have to fit your stories in just 300 words), you should focus on that. Your GMAT, not stellar is good enough. Even if you are able to improve it to 750 but not able to build a strong application, you will not get a call.

Work Ex
Your work ex looks solid. That said, you will have to chose the right stories to bring out and will have to highlight your career progress & accomplishments rather than years, industry or duties.

Extracurricular
What is the impact you have had in the said NGO? Do you have stories that can show potential leadership qualities. The TT experience could help, depending on the level and seriousness.

Post-MBA Goals

Most importantly, you have not mentioned anything about Why MBA & Why ISB? This is going to be the deciding factor. If the goals are not fit or realistic, a call can be tough to get.

To summarize, if I were in your place I would prioritize Application & Essays over retaking the GMAT. Once the application is out of the way and you have enough time left and are confident of increasing the score drastically, then I'd retake it.

Best

Varun

Heisenberg12 wrote:
Name: Hitarth Parmar

GMAT: 710 (Q48, Q39); IR - 8; AWA - 5.0.[Recently appeared for my GMAT on 16.02.2018]

10th: 89.7%
12th: 86.2%
Graduation: B.E. Electrical with 7.64/10 CGPA.

Work Experience: 59 months [as on 24.05.2018] at a Public-sector Oil & Gas industry in India. I worked for 53 months in Operations & Maintenance department as an Officer, and was responsible for managing the Routine Maintenance Schedules, Breakdown maintenance with Root Cause Analysis and Report Generation; was responsible for a critical design change which was universalised in the company.

Recently, I have been promoted to Sr. Officer (kind of a big-deal in my organisation :lol: ) and transferred to Projects department since 6 months and have been looking after Project Scheduling, Planning, review and approval of procedures, materials, managing and co-ordinating with other agencies (Consultant, contractor, inspection agencies).

Extra-curriculars: Have won a team event at a national level sports fest in the game of Table Tennis; was associated for 1 year with an NGO.

With a GMAT score of 710, what are my chances of securing a call for interview in ISB? Also, I don't think I did justice to my preparation with 710, so I am planning to re-appear for GMAT by 2nd week of June, 2018. I am targeting anywhere around 740-750. How much would a 30-40 point increment in previous score help me with-

1) Securing admission if I get call from ISB?
2) Securing a scholarship if I get call and admission in ISB?

Just in case I couldn't appear for GMAT, would a score of 710 be enough to secure a call from ISB?

Your help will be thoroughly appreciated.

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Jul 2017
Posts: 115
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 00:01
Experts,

Request your advice on profile and a couple of other points

Background:
Indian, Male, Engineer (Automotive Industry - Polymer specialization, Bachelors), 29 yr old, 8 yrs Work-ex till now, GMAT 690

Acads:
10th - 89%
12th 89%
Degree: 8.35/10 (2nd rank in university)

Work:
Tier I automotive company - 1yr 10 months
1. Started as GET, Elevated to technical in-charge - managed 6 persons while leaving
2. Set-up laboratory, Value engineered projects worth 5Cr (Substantial saving as it was about 3% of total company revenue), Managed projects for wide customers.

Leading Two-wheeler manufacturer - 1 year
1. Probably a big mistake to jump. Thought OEM might open up opportunities. Got a level up also in the offer. But the profile was not challenging.
2. However, set-up product development processes for polymer component development. Didn't manage anyone.

Indian Car and truck manufacturer OEM (Fortune 500 company) (1yr 8 months)
1. Improved equipment utilization, lowered product dev and testing time, created benchmark libraries.
2. More of a functional role. Managed 3.

Another Indian car and tractor manufacturer - 4 years so far
1. Had to come back to native city for personal reasons. Now the reasons cease to exist. Free to move. Got a level up in offer.
2. Managed and initiated several projects. Saved good amount of money in ideating and managing projects. (Managed mostly across functions - So no direct reports. Only matrix management during project lifetime)
3. 2 awards. 1 promotion hopeful this year.

Extra-curriculars
1. Secretary of college student council - Equivalent to chairman of college
2. Volunteering in SAE for school children
3. 3 international publications. 4 on anvil.

Post MBA goals
Strategy, General Management, Strategy-Operations Consulting.

Now comes my questions
1. Does it ring a good profile for ISB? Targeting IIM A, B and C one-year MBA also.
2. Should I retake GMAT for higher score? I have never scored less than 730 in official mock. But got a really tough RC that threw me off on that day. Confident of scoring 730-750 if i retake.
3. No international experience, except liaison with counterparts outside India. Difficult to get international experience, in the job profile and industry that I work. Will it affect my profile?

Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 422
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 00:48
1
Hey ss3617

Thank you for the detailed note. Please see my feedback in Blue

ss3617 wrote:
Experts,

Request your advice on profile and a couple of other points

Background:
Indian, Male, Engineer (Automotive Industry - Polymer specialization, Bachelors), 29 yr old, 8 yrs Work-ex till now, GMAT 690

Acads:
10th - 89%
12th 89%
Degree: 8.35/10 (2nd rank in university)
Past Acads are good. Surprised on your GMAT, you have the potential to score higher. As you said could be one bad day. If you are really confident of taking it 720+ in a few weeks, go ahead. But this should not dilute your efforts of putting together a strong written application. It is more important than your GMAT and with application season open essays should be #1 priority. So choose wisely.

Work:
Tier I automotive company - 1yr 10 months
1. Started as GET, Elevated to technical in-charge - managed 6 persons while leaving
2. Set-up laboratory, Value engineered projects worth 5Cr (Substantial saving as it was about 3% of total company revenue), Managed projects for wide customers.

Leading Two-wheeler manufacturer - 1 year
1. Probably a big mistake to jump. Thought OEM might open up opportunities. Got a level up also in the offer. But the profile was not challenging.
2. However, set-up product development processes for polymer component development. Didn't manage anyone.

Indian Car and truck manufacturer OEM (Fortune 500 company) (1yr 8 months)
1. Improved equipment utilization, lowered product dev and testing time, created benchmark libraries.
2. More of a functional role. Managed 3.

Another Indian car and tractor manufacturer - 4 years so far
1. Had to come back to native city for personal reasons. Now the reasons cease to exist. Free to move. Got a level up in offer.
2. Managed and initiated several projects. Saved good amount of money in ideating and managing projects. (Managed mostly across functions - So no direct reports. Only matrix management during project lifetime)
3. 2 awards. 1 promotion hopeful this year.
Overall you have an interesting experience, and I like how you have mentioned a few key accomplishments too. You have a decent shot as ISB and IIM A/B/C. Many people with your ex from the likes of Maruti have joined these colleges in past. But you are still not an over-represented profile so can add diversity to the class. However it will depend on how you show your fresh perspective in the application.

Extra-curriculars
1. Secretary of college student council - Equivalent to chairman of college
2. Volunteering in SAE for school children
3. 3 international publications. 4 on anvil.
Show more impact in these. The list is good on paper, but what did you learn and achieve here is also important.

Now comes my questions
1. Does it ring a good profile for ISB? Targeting IIM A, B and C one-year MBA also.Absolutely. All are good bets with a decent application.
2. Should I retake GMAT for higher score? I have never scored less than 730 in official mock. But got a really tough RC that threw me off on that day. Confident of scoring 730-750 if i retake.
I will repeat myself. A good written application can take 4-6 weeks from scratch. More for some people. That is a lot of time and effort especially along with balancing a job. ISB/IIMA/IIMB applications are open as on today. IIMC will open early June. So prioritize. If you can re-take the GMAT by June end and are 100% sure of improving your score to 730 then go ahead. However, you candidature is strong with the most glaring weakness being GMAT. If you write an excellent application, you could negate that. So look at time vs effort and make a choice.
3. No international experience, except liaison with counterparts outside India. Difficult to get international experience, in the job profile and industry that I work. Will it affect my profile?
International ex helps, but not a requirement. Do not fret about it. Focus on your personal stories.
However, I've not seen the most important factor of the application- WHY MBA? What are your post-MBA goals and why do you need an MBA to reach there? Also Why ISB/IIM?No review or interview without compelling answers.
Feel free to reach out if you wish to discuss this further. All the best.

Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Quora
LinkedIn



Thanks in advance

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Jul 2017
Posts: 115
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 01:09
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hey ss3617

Thank you for the detailed note. Please see my feedback in Blue


However, I've not seen the most important factor of the application- WHY MBA? What are your post-MBA goals and why do you need an MBA to reach there? Also Why ISB/IIM?No review or interview without compelling answers.
[color=#0000ff]Feel free to reach out if you wish to discuss this further. All the best.



Hi Varun,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Really appreciate your time and effort.

I just observed only after submitting the post that I forgot to mention key info.
Why MBA: MBA was on back of my mind for a while, just that I had other commitments, I couldn't pursue before. I believe and have been advised by superiors as well that I do have a good potential to become a leader. But i definitely lack the skill and knowledge. Need to have an MBA to open up my career in a wide arena.
Have updated Post-MBA goals. Mainly focused on strategy and ops consulting.
Choice of schools mainly due to geography.

Thanks again for your time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 422
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 02:16
Hello ss3617

Post MBA goals may need some work. You have leadership qualities, good. But How exactly will an MBA help? Why can't you learn on the job and progress via the current path. You seem to be doing good. You don't need to necessarily answer me- but it is food for thought. B-Schools will surely ask you this in essays or interviews.
Strategy Consulting might be little difficult to get in to with 8 years on work ex in Automobile Sector.
If B-Schools find your future goals not fit or realistic for what they can offer, they will not call you. So I'll suggest you work on building your application along with GMAT prep (in case you are re-taking it)
If you display conviction of thought in your application, you will surely get called for the interview.
Best
Varun

ss3617 wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hey ss3617

Thank you for the detailed note. Please see my feedback in Blue


However, I've not seen the most important factor of the application- WHY MBA? What are your post-MBA goals and why do you need an MBA to reach there? Also Why ISB/IIM?No review or interview without compelling answers.
[color=#0000ff]Feel free to reach out if you wish to discuss this further. All the best.



Hi Varun,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Really appreciate your time and effort.

I just observed only after submitting the post that I forgot to mention key info.
Why MBA: MBA was on back of my mind for a while, just that I had other commitments, I couldn't pursue before. I believe and have been advised by superiors as well that I do have a good potential to become a leader. But i definitely lack the skill and knowledge. Need to have an MBA to open up my career in a wide arena.
Have updated Post-MBA goals. Mainly focused on strategy and ops consulting.
Choice of schools mainly due to geography.

Thanks again for your time.

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 616
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 03:07
Hi All,

I am An IT professional having around 5.5 experience in IT field working as as Quality Assurance Analyst. I have worked in companies like TCS(service based) and Currently in Fiserv(product based). I am currently working on lead role in testing department of one of Fiserv products.My academics are
10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

My extra curricular activities include :I reached last round of SSB 3 years back, i have youtube channel of travel + I was involved in Some NGo related work also. I tried to headstart some venture with some of my friends, 2-3 proposals come but could not worked out.

Could you please evaluate my profile for ISB ? Also how much Gmat score is required wrt my profile.

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 422
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 03:13
Hello push12345

Acads are above average, I'll recommend you should target 720+ to be above the average ISB candidate.
That said, only a high GMAT score will not suffice. Being from IT, you will need to bring out your differentiating factors. How are you a good addition to the cohort?
Also don't see your reasons to do an MBA. That will matter the most.
How well you package your application will be the deciding factor in the end. What you have provided is the Quantitative part of your profile, it is necessary to look at the Qualitative side too in order to give a detailed feedback.

Best
Varun

push12345 wrote:
Hi All,

I am An IT professional having around 5.5 experience in IT field working as as Quality Assurance Analyst. I have worked in companies like TCS(service based) and Currently in Fiserv(product based). I am currently working on lead role in testing department of one of Fiserv products.My academics are
10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

My extra curricular activities include :I reached last round of SSB 3 years back, i have youtube channel of travel + I was involved in Some NGo related work also. I tried to headstart some venture with some of my friends, 2-3 proposals come but could not worked out.

Could you please evaluate my profile for ISB ? Also how much Gmat score is required wrt my profile.

Thanks in advance.

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 616
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 03:27
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello push12345

Acads are above average, I'll recommend you should target 720+ to be above the average ISB candidate.
That said, only a high GMAT score will not suffice. Being from IT, you will need to bring out your differentiating factors. How are you a good addition to the cohort?
Also don't see your reasons to do an MBA. That will matter the most.
How well you package your application will be the deciding factor in the end. What you have provided is the Quantitative part of your profile, it is necessary to look at the Qualitative side too in order to give a detailed feedback.

Best
Varun

push12345 wrote:
Hi All,

I am An IT professional having around 5.5 experience in IT field working as as Quality Assurance Analyst. I have worked in companies like TCS(service based) and Currently in Fiserv(product based). I am currently working on lead role in testing department of one of Fiserv products.My academics are
10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

My extra curricular activities include :I reached last round of SSB 3 years back, i have youtube channel of travel + I was involved in Some NGo related work also. I tried to headstart some venture with some of my friends, 2-3 proposals come but could not worked out.

Could you please evaluate my profile for ISB ? Also how much Gmat score is required wrt my profile.

Thanks in advance.



Hi Varun

Thanks for taking time to give your comments and evaluate the same.

I want to do Mba in startegy. That is the thing which I like the most and would like to take my career in that stream also. I have done pretty much on project side and stuff and I would like to grow my career in new role.
Could you please give me some points to build more or bring out more on Qualitative side of things ?

Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 422
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 03:42
Hello push12345

'Strategy' may be too broad a goal. Are you looking a Management Consulting? IT Consulting? General Management? Either way, you should have compelling answers to How will an MBA help you achieve these goals?
Apart from GMAT preparation, I will suggest you start working on your written applications already considering applications of ISB & IIM A/B are open as on today.
You should finalize realistic goals that fir your colleges and your own profile.
Start tackling the essays.
All the best
Varun

push12345 wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello push12345

Acads are above average, I'll recommend you should target 720+ to be above the average ISB candidate.
That said, only a high GMAT score will not suffice. Being from IT, you will need to bring out your differentiating factors. How are you a good addition to the cohort?
Also don't see your reasons to do an MBA. That will matter the most.
How well you package your application will be the deciding factor in the end. What you have provided is the Quantitative part of your profile, it is necessary to look at the Qualitative side too in order to give a detailed feedback.

Best
Varun

push12345 wrote:
Hi All,

I am An IT professional having around 5.5 experience in IT field working as as Quality Assurance Analyst. I have worked in companies like TCS(service based) and Currently in Fiserv(product based). I am currently working on lead role in testing department of one of Fiserv products.My academics are
10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

My extra curricular activities include :I reached last round of SSB 3 years back, i have youtube channel of travel + I was involved in Some NGo related work also. I tried to headstart some venture with some of my friends, 2-3 proposals come but could not worked out.

Could you please evaluate my profile for ISB ? Also how much Gmat score is required wrt my profile.

Thanks in advance.



Hi Varun

Thanks for taking time to give your comments and evaluate the same.

I want to do Mba in startegy. That is the thing which I like the most and would like to take my career in that stream also. I have done pretty much on project side and stuff and I would like to grow my career in new role.
Could you please give me some points to build more or bring out more on Qualitative side of things ?

Thanks in advance

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 425
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 01:08
push12345 wrote:
Hi All,

I am An IT professional having around 5.5 experience in IT field working as as Quality Assurance Analyst. I have worked in companies like TCS(service based) and Currently in Fiserv(product based). I am currently working on lead role in testing department of one of Fiserv products.My academics are
10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

My extra curricular activities include :I reached last round of SSB 3 years back, i have youtube channel of travel + I was involved in Some NGo related work also. I tried to headstart some venture with some of my friends, 2-3 proposals come but could not worked out.

Could you please evaluate my profile for ISB ? Also how much Gmat score is required wrt my profile.

Thanks in advance.


Hi push12345,

Thanks for writing in.

Good to see that you have substantial work experience, leadership experience, and decent extra-curriculars (though, you have not much elaborated on your NGO stint). Having said that, your academics are not stellar and your background that of a typical India IT Male :-)

To offset the weaker aspects of your profile, try and aim for a score at least upwards of 720 as this will help differentiate your case in an overrepresented pool. Further, focus on producing a set of stellar essays that speak of your need for an MBA, present your strengths appropriately, demonstrate your suitability for an MBA program, and speak of how you will contribute as well. In terms of goals, Strategy is way too broad and you will need to ensure that your goals are more specific and clearly categorized into short-term and long-term. If possible, do put forth a larger vision as well. Needless to say, the goals must seamlessly flow from your existing work experience.

Should you wish to discuss this in greater detail, feel free to reach out.

All the best!
_________________

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Location: India
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.53
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 03:26
Dear Experts,

Kindly give an honest and realistic assessment as I have to take a crucial decision based on my chances. Here is my profile:

12th (CBSE)- 85%
GMAT- 740 (AWA 5)

Re-applicant (don't know what went wrong in interview last year, the interview was very unpredictable).

Work-ex:
PHILIPS LIGHTING INDIA LIMITED (formerly PHILIPS INDIA LIMITED) 2014 - Present

Current Designation- Assistant Development Engineer
Have been working on product development (transitioned from design to development keeping long term focus in mind) and as a part of job I collaborate with various cross functional teams and look after complete development process.
Recently I have been made part of global smart lighting product team where I am looking after India centric developments and strategic alliances with the help of marketing team.

Promotions: 1 grade promotion and 2 designation changes.
Awards: Best Innovation award in my business vertical and various other appreciations.

EC:
1. Have been an active Toastmaster. Served as President of Noida chapter of Toastmaster and led the club to win the most coveted golden gavel award.
2. Have served as executive member of technical student society in graduation and organised various events.
3. Have a paper publishing in IEEE students conference proceedings.

Why MBA?
Want to transition to product management from product development and in long term want to get into business leadership.


Please analyse any possible flaws in the profile. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 422
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 03:38
Hello anmol_06

Thank you for the information. Please see my replies in Blue.

Best

Varun

anmol_06 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Kindly give an honest and realistic assessment as I have to take a crucial decision based on my chances. Here is my profile:

12th (CBSE)- 85%
GMAT- 740 (AWA 5)
Above average aptitude. Hope you are focusing on your essays currently, as the application season is already open.

Re-applicant (don't know what went wrong in interview last year, the interview was very unpredictable).If you got a call, that means AdCom definitely saw a potential Though is is tough pinpoint the reason for a ding without looking at your application, are you positive that the reason was interview and nothing else?

Work-ex:
PHILIPS LIGHTING INDIA LIMITED (formerly PHILIPS INDIA LIMITED) 2014 - Present

Current Designation- Assistant Development Engineer
Have been working on product development (transitioned from design to development keeping long term focus in mind) and as a part of job I collaborate with various cross functional teams and look after complete development process.
Recently I have been made part of global smart lighting product team where I am looking after India centric developments and strategic alliances with the help of marketing team.

Promotions: 1 grade promotion and 2 designation changes.
Awards: Best Innovation award in my business vertical and various other appreciations.
You've mentioned Promotions, years, designation, responsibilities but not achievements. ISB will want to focus on that more than anything.

EC:
1. Have been an active Toastmaster. Served as President of Noida chapter of Toastmaster and led the club to win the most coveted golden gavel award.
2. Have served as executive member of technical student society in graduation and organised various events.
3. Have a paper publishing in IEEE students conference proceedings.
Interesting- highlight the fact that your interest in these activities in not fleeting with a set of accomplishments or the sort of impact you have had.

Why MBA?
Want to transition to product management from product development and in long term want to get into business leadership.
Why can't you reach here by following your current path? Why do you necessarily need an MBA? How will it add to you?


Please analyse any possible flaws in the profile. Thanks!
Since you are a re-applicant you will need to show how you have improved in the last one year and are ready to be admitted now. With a strong GMAT the reason is obviously something else that has not been able to convince the AdCom. You must have received a feedback on last year's application, what does it say? Because you should not be making the same mistake this time.

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Location: India
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.53
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 03:56
1
thanks oneMBAcoach for your comprehensive feedback !

I did ask for feedback from ISB but they denied saying that they won't be giving individual feedback this year.

Though I'll do my research with the inputs provided by you. thanks again !
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 16
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 07:07
Require help regarding deferred admission. Anyone up?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1367
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 07:14
navin181297 wrote:
Require help regarding deferred admission. Anyone up?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


what do you want to know?
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 16
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 07:16
I want my profile to be evaluated for deferred admission in Harvard, Stanford or Yale.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 16
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 07:24
GMAT: 700-720 (expected)
For all other details, kindly refer to the CV attached.
Attachment:
Navin-resume-updated1.jpg
Navin-resume-updated1.jpg [ 63.38 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]
Attachment:
Screenshot_20180526-192822_01.jpg
Screenshot_20180526-192822_01.jpg [ 65.3 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]


Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1367
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 07:32
anmol_06 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Kindly give an honest and realistic assessment as I have to take a crucial decision based on my chances. Here is my profile:

12th (CBSE)- 85%
GMAT- 740 (AWA 5)

Re-applicant (don't know what went wrong in interview last year, the interview was very unpredictable).

Work-ex:
PHILIPS LIGHTING INDIA LIMITED (formerly PHILIPS INDIA LIMITED) 2014 - Present

Current Designation- Assistant Development Engineer
Have been working on product development (transitioned from design to development keeping long term focus in mind) and as a part of job I collaborate with various cross functional teams and look after complete development process.
Recently I have been made part of global smart lighting product team where I am looking after India centric developments and strategic alliances with the help of marketing team.

Promotions: 1 grade promotion and 2 designation changes.
Awards: Best Innovation award in my business vertical and various other appreciations.

EC:
1. Have been an active Toastmaster. Served as President of Noida chapter of Toastmaster and led the club to win the most coveted golden gavel award.
2. Have served as executive member of technical student society in graduation and organised various events.
3. Have a paper publishing in IEEE students conference proceedings.

Why MBA?
Want to transition to product management from product development and in long term want to get into business leadership.


Please analyse any possible flaws in the profile. Thanks!


Hi Anmol,

I can have a look at your application and give you some feedback. You can email me your application PDF (unsecured file)

You probably messed up your interview. there could be several pitfalls there:

1. Not answering questions with relevant details
2. sounding immature (we come across many applicants)
3. Not articulating your goals too well - while you would require an MBA to move from a technical role to a commercial one- how well were you able to articulate this/ show some aspirational career goals :
4. articulate the need for an MBA.
The goals require a lot of clarity and there could be quite a bit of cross-questioning on them. So you have to be well prepared to tackle this beast.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 26 May 2018, 07:32

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  82   83   84   85   86  ...  108    Next  [ 2141 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.