GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 22:43
Top Contributor
pt1791 wrote:
Hi All,

I am planning to take the GMAT in next 1 month and apply to ISB in round 1.

Academics:
Class 10th: 87%
Class 12th: 83%
5 yr B.Tech & M.Tech Program from IIT Roorkee in Chemical Engg 2012 - 6.3 CGPA

Work Ex:
1. 4 years in Chemical Engineering Consultancy
Role: 1.5 yrs as Project Engineer & 2.5 yrs as Process Engineer
Project Engineer:
Resolving EPC client construction queries.
Ensuring timely delivery of delieverables.
Conducting Project Review Meeting with Management and Engineering Team

Process Engineer:
Preparation of process engineering deliverables
Delivered 2 projects as process lead engineer
Prepared Detailed Feasibility Report of a new Unit for Refinery

2. Two yrs in Technology Company as Process Engineer
Review of customer's requirements and preparation of techno-commercial proposals
Preparation of basic engineering package
Supervision of plant startup
Trouble-shooting of plant operations

ExtraCurricular
Trekking in Uttarakhand
Mountain Climbing Course Participation
Convenor of Department for Tech Fest in IIT Roorkee

What should I target my GMAT score for getting admitted in ISB (a) without scholarship (b) with scholarship?


Hi pt1791

- Scholarships are dependent on multiple criteria, including the strength of your application, and your overall profile. The GMAT score does play a role, but it is not the only thing. Overall, you should be targeting a GMAT score of 700+ (of course, the higher the better).
- Your process background and work is excellent and will be a big asset for you in your applications. Your profile is a bit technical/engineering-oriented, and that makes it a bit hard to differentiate, so focus more on the process than on EPC or package preparation.
- ECA seem fine and decent enough.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 22:45
Top Contributor
guptaayushi wrote:
Hi All,

I am a female ,Chartered Accountant with 5.5 years of experience of working with Companies like PwC and Deloitte , in audit practice. These companies are known to be top companies in audit profile.
Now I decided to pursue my long term goal of doing an MBA in ISB. I plan to take my GMAT very shortly. But I am not sure if my Audit profile suits the program and if yes, what is the GMAT score I must target? My academics are :
SSC - 87%
+2 - 91%
CA - 60%( All levels cleared in first attempt).
Please review my profile.
Thanks in advance.


Hi Ayushi

- As a CA, you would be in contention with a 680+, though of course you should set a target of 700+ on your applications.
- You mention 5.5 years of experience - is all of this post-articleship? ISB does not consider articleship as work experience.
- Your audit work will certainly be valued by ISB, and the fact that you have been employed by Big 4 audit majors will be valued too.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 06:30
Top Contributor
SwapnilShah9033 wrote:
Hi, I am swapnil. I'll share my profile details.

GMAT SCORE- 700 (Q50, V35)
Undergrad GPA- 8.17 out of 10.0
IELTS- Yet to give (Confident to Score 7.5 atleast)

Work Experience: 3 years as an Executive Engineer Electrical at a renowned Pharmaceutical Company. My training program which was supposed to be of one year was curtailed for 6 months because of performance. Apart from that I have been involved in variety of projects afterwards. I have handled multiple situations, in which my opinion was of Paramount importance.

I have always been in possession of administrative acumen. Starting from my school life to undergrad life, I have organized various events, such as orientations, Technical festivals,Alumni events, festival celebrations. I have also volunteered many events. After entering professional life, I have volunteered in Vadodara International Marathon and represented my company.

I have also interned for two companies during my undergrad.

I teach English to students who can't really afford to pay high fees. I am a certified bilingual translator at ONE HOUR TRANSLATION. I have a record of completing every project assigned to me within stipulated time limit.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi Swapnil

Thank you for posting in such detail. Here is our assessment:
- Your GMAT and acads are decent, and your work in pharma gives you some differentiation.
- However, the pool you belong to has fierce competition. If you can, try and raise your GMAT even further. Although your pharma industry background helps, if most of your work has been around electrical engineering and management, it can be an area to be addressed, as ISB gets plenty of profiles with technology/engineering backgrounds, and so differentiating yourself with such a background will not be easy.
- The administrative and leadership part of your profile is good and can be a differentiator. Usually, people do not get significant responsibility early into their career, so the fact that you did may mean that you are better than others. This organizational and leadership acumen is also seen in your college activities.
- The English translation work may not count for too much for ISB, although it does show your enterprising nature.
- Overall, you should focus on building your candidature carefully and finding the right differentiators for the ISB essays to be able to leverage your profile better.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 06:31
Top Contributor
BhargavaB wrote:
Hi ,
Please evaluate my below profile:

10th: 92.8%
12th: 84.16%
B.E (Information Science): 9.51/ 10 GPA (2nd Rank holder for the Class)
Work Experience: 4 years as Software QA Engineer
Gave GRE 2 years back and got : 300 ( Q: 158 V: 142)
Have participated in many NGO activities from corporate Citizenship

I know my GRE marks is way low. I’m confused should I retake GRE itself or prepare for GMAT and give a try for GMAT.

Can you please suggest me on what should I choose among GRE or gmat and how much I need in those exams for high admission chances.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hi BhargavaB

Thank you for posting.

- You have excellent academics, but as you have realized, your GRE score is very low. You can retake the GRE if you feel you can leverage your earlier preparation better there (aiming for at least a 15 point increase, if not 20). In the past, ISB applicants have done better with relatively lower performance on the GRE, judging by the statistics released by the school.
- Your software QA background will also need to be looked at closely, as building differentiation in your ISB app this year is very important, and typically, ISB gets a lot of QA applications, and so considers this background less diverse. However, this part can be tackled once your score is improved.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Feb 2018
Posts: 45
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 06:48
Academics:
10th : CGPA :9.8
12th : 98%
B.Tech : 8.49

Work Experience:
13 Months Oracle: Member of Technical Staff
10 Months : Real Estate Sector (Partly owned)

Extra Curricular:
Three Medals in Robotics during College
Real Estate Startup
Marathons , Gym


Leadership:
Fund Raising for Oracle Heart Walk (led a team of 10 ).
Plantation drive near a lake
Coordinator for few technical events during college .

Future Goals

Scale up our family start up , with experience from ISB

GMAT :
Cancelled a score of 700 few days ago . Aiming for anything above 750
Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 07:33
Top Contributor
Thegmatman wrote:
Thank you for taking the time out for evaluating my profile. I really appreciate it!

I plan on applying in a year or so! I would like to know what school I would be a good fit for.

Profile:
GMAT: 650 (Q48, V31) I think I could get 680 by the time that I apply
Black/Male/24 years (26 at matriculation)
EDUCATION: Bachelors in Computer Engineering minor Business administration GPA: 3.00/4.00
Patents Owned: 1

LOW GPA:
My 3.00 GPA was due to a serious car accident the summer before my sophomore year in which my best friend and I were T-boned by a semi-truck. I was forced to drink through a straw for 25 days due to my several injuries. I became depressed which resulted in my poor academic performance. Luckily, I was able to focus my time away from sports and realize my passion for business. I consider my GPA recovery to be one of my greatest accomplishments because I proved to myself that I have the grit to overcome adversity.

EXPERIENCE:
I started two startups in college. The first business I competed in several pitch competition for. I won $6000 at a pitch competition at citywide event, place top 3 in South Carolina a won $10,000 in prizes, and place top 40 out of 25,000 globally. For the second business I went from winning the best engineering senior design project to being accepted into a startup incubator (3% acceptance rate). I raised $130,000 at over $1,000,000 valuation through the incubator, investors, and kickstarter. I also built my team to 7 people and have presented to President Jimmy Carter along with Fortune 100 and business executives.

Also shortly after I graduated I was a leader for Georgia's largest startup and helped 500 businesses get started all in one day. I trained, certified and oversaw 20+ consultants for the event. This was all ran through a nonprofit.

Currently I am being contracted by one of arms forces (Army, Navy or Air Force) to lead their product intuitive for 2 major releasing soon. I basically the final say on what features are implemented and make sure the project is on track. I also have a machine learning project that I am developing on the side that I think has real potential.

I also trade stocks in my spare time. This is how I helped pay off my student loans. I have turned $13,000 in $35,000 with probably around 600 trades. I plan to save to $70k to pay for grad school. I am not sure if schools will even care that I can do this at all.

EXTRA CURRICULAR:
I mentor several people and help them with their startups. I have help people successfully raise capital and win pitch competitions.

I also taught a class to teach freshman how to adjust to college and mentored about 40 students over 2 years. This took about 15 hours a week.

LONG TERM GOAL:
Long term I would like start another company with someone I meet in business school and consult college students on startup as a way for me to give back. Then I would like to consult Fortune 500 companies for a few years while teaching 1-2 credit course on entrepreneurship at reputable college as a hobby. I really enjoy helping and teaching but I want to have a formal background on top of everything I have done on my own. I plan on starting a "gifted" high school in 15 or so years. Finally I would like to get into venture capital or at the very least be an angel investor.

I would like to apply to Emory, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Duke & Yale. I can get great LOR, anywhere from a previous associate dean of MBA program at one of those 5 schools to my co-founder and several other mentors. I don’t know how well I fair against competition at these schools. Is my profile even unique? Can you let me know my chances at each? What else should I do to make me look better for the future since I still have time. Also please recommend other schools if you think that I could be a better fit for.

Thanks in advance!!


Hi Thegmatman

Thank you for posting. This thread is actually for evaluations for ISB only, but will provide a quick response to help:
- Your GMAT and GPA are currently the biggest factors standing in your way. True, you have a good explanation for the GPA, but the accident is likely to have affected you for a few months, which would cover the low GPA for 1-2 terms, but not the entire program, unless you can show the effect prolonging. Even then, you will need a higher test score to show schools such as Duke and Yale (that are long shots for you) that you are competitive on the analytical side.
- Other than that, you have really done some great work. The startup experience, presenting to President Carter, scaling, and stock trading all sound good. Schools will value your investment acumen, but based on what you have done, not on what you plan to do.
- Your goals (long term) look good, but the need for an MBA isn't really there, at least based on what you state. You'll need to take these deeper to convince these schools that you want to achieve something you have already not.
- Among your schools, maybe look at Babson, Marshall, and Ross (as a higher-ranked option) and park on Yale and Duke till you get a higher GMAT score.


Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed or to contact us directly for a more detailed discussion.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 07:47
Top Contributor
Talayva wrote:
Academics:
10th : CGPA :9.8
12th : 98%
B.Tech : 8.49

Work Experience:
13 Months Oracle: Member of Technical Staff
10 Months : Real Estate Sector (Partly owned)

Extra Curricular:
Three Medals in Robotics during College
Real Estate Startup
Marathons , Gym


Leadership:
Fund Raising for Oracle Heart Walk (led a team of 10 ).
Plantation drive near a lake
Coordinator for few technical events during college .

Future Goals

Scale up our family start up , with experience from ISB

GMAT :
Cancelled a score of 700 few days ago . Aiming for anything above 750


Hi Talavya

Thanks for posting.
- Your acads seem quite good. If you can get 720+, you should be in strong contention with a good app
- The work experience part has a small hiccup in the sectoral switch. You have also got less than a year in your current role, and this is a startup that is family-owned as well. This part will need to be addressed well - why do you need an MBA (the PGP) so soon?
- The ECA part also needs more information. The real estate startup is part of your work, and cannot be part of ECA. Robotics medals will count, but only to an extent. Need to show more leadership in that section. Will need to dig deeper on this front.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 09:10
Dear Experts,

Could you please help evaluate my profile?

Academics:
X: 83.20%
XII: 77.16%
Undergrads: BE in ECE (69.80%)
GMAT: 700 Q47 V39 AWA5 IR6

Work Experience:
5 years 6 Months with Accenture as a SAP Project Systems Consultant.
Worked with clients in mapping business process to SAP. Lead and trained teams to deliver projects under strict timelines.
Lead a long term volunteering at a NGO as part of our company's CSR Activities.
Also won a prize of 1500 USD for a national level competition during my college days.

I understand that with my IT profile my chances seem slim.
However, I intend to retake the GMAT, but what should be a good score to target with my profile?

Thanks for your time!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2018
Posts: 3
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 09:47
Hi Experts,

Here's a quick overview of my profile for your evaluation :

Academics :
10th - 95%
12th - 90%
B.Tech - 7.9

Work Ex : 3 years
7 months - Real estate
2.5 years - Consulting/Analytics :
-22 Months as a Business Associate at ZS Associates
-6 months as an Advanced Analytics Consultant at PwC India (current company)

Planning to write GMAT in 3 weeks (consistent 720+ scores in the practice tests) and hoping to score anywhere around 750

Extra Acads :
School, College, State and National level quizzer with plenty of awards

Long Term Goal :
Management consulting/business analytics career

Thanks a lot in advance!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Feb 2018
Posts: 45
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 10:28
GyanOne wrote:
Talayva wrote:
Academics:
10th : CGPA :9.8
12th : 98%
B.Tech : 8.49

Work Experience:
13 Months Oracle: Member of Technical Staff
10 Months : Real Estate Sector (Partly owned)

Extra Curricular:
Three Medals in Robotics during College
Real Estate Startup
Marathons , Gym


Leadership:
Fund Raising for Oracle Heart Walk (led a team of 10 ).
Plantation drive near a lake
Coordinator for few technical events during college .

Future Goals

Scale up our family start up , with experience from ISB

GMAT :
Cancelled a score of 700 few days ago . Aiming for anything above 750


Hi Talavya

Thanks for posting.
- Your acads seem quite good. If you can get 720+, you should be in strong contention with a good app
- The work experience part has a small hiccup in the sectoral switch. You have also got less than a year in your current role, and this is a startup that is family-owned as well. This part will need to be addressed well - why do you need an MBA (the PGP) so soon?
- The ECA part also needs more information. The real estate startup is part of your work, and cannot be part of ECA. Robotics medals will count, but only to an extent. Need to show more leadership in that section. Will need to dig deeper on this front.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.


Firm that I currently work is not a startup (Real Estate, partially owned) . The one which I mentioned as a hobby is actually a startup .
Expert Post
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1292
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:18
guptaayushi wrote:
Hi All,

I am a female ,Chartered Accountant with 5.5 years of experience of working with Companies like PwC and Deloitte , in audit practice. These companies are known to be top companies in audit profile.
Now I decided to pursue my long term goal of doing an MBA in ISB. I plan to take my GMAT very shortly. But I am not sure if my Audit profile suits the program and if yes, what is the GMAT score I must target? My academics are :
SSC - 87%
+2 - 91%
CA - 60%( All levels cleared in first attempt).
Please review my profile.
Thanks in advance.


Hi Ayushi,

B-schools try to compile a class of students with diversified profiles, so your audit experience is going to be relevant in the MBA class. However, its your job to educate the admissions committee of the great work you have done at your companies. You will also have to differentiate this work experience from the other CAs who apply by mentioning those opportunities that you alone got to handle or the big impact you created.

Just FYI, ISB does not consider article ship as full-time work experience, so I hope the 5 years WExp you have mentioned here is after the articleship.

Also, as a word of caution- your long-term goal cannot be to join MBA. Do not write that in the application by any chance. A b-school is only a facilitator- it will help you achieve your professional goal or vision by giving you the relevant tools and knowledge.

For the GMAT, shoot for the stars. The higher the better. However, a high GMAT score alone will not get you an admit. Your achievements, impact and clarity in career goals is equally important
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Write to us for a FREE profile evaluation
Read our blog:The MBA Decoder Bulletin
Read our Testimonials
View the Deadlines

Expert Post
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1292
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:25
vaibhav6215 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Here's a quick overview of my profile for your evaluation :

Academics :
10th - 95%
12th - 90%
B.Tech - 7.9

Work Ex : 3 years
7 months - Real estate
2.5 years - Consulting/Analytics :
-22 Months as a Business Associate at ZS Associates
-6 months as an Advanced Analytics Consultant at PwC India (current company)

Planning to write GMAT in 3 weeks (consistent 720+ scores in the practice tests) and hoping to score anywhere around 750

Extra Acads :
School, College, State and National level quizzer with plenty of awards

Long Term Goal :
Management consulting/business analytics career

Thanks a lot in advance!


Hi Vaibhav,

Everything else being okay, I'd like to understand the move to real estate, even as you wish to get back to analytics post MBA.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Write to us for a FREE profile evaluation
Read our blog:The MBA Decoder Bulletin
Read our Testimonials
View the Deadlines

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:34
Top Contributor
anidag wrote:
hi all,

please review my profile for ISB 2019

3.5 years of work ex at indias largest growing wealth management firm
job profile - product design, received 2 promotions over 3.5 yrs
1 yr of NGO work

Mcom and BBI from top commerce college in mumbai
Mcom - 75%
BBI - 77%
12th - 76%

still studying for the gmat. what should be my ideal score?

thanks


Hi anidag

This looks great. The fact that you have a Master's will help you further. Work-ex seems pretty solid as well. Would advise you look at a score of 700+, though you should be in contention with a 680+ and a strong application too.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:35
Top Contributor
phef wrote:
Hi Experts,

Kindly help to evaluate/review my profile for the Top 5 B-Schools for Executive MBA

Total 10 years of Telecom Consulting experience( 7 years overseas-USA, South Africa, Kenya, Bahrain,New zealand & Canada)

Bachelor of Engineering: 81%
3-year diploma: 69%
Matriculation: 77%

Preparing for GMAT

Looking for top 5 B school options including ISB Hyderabad, where I can apply for Executive MBA program.

Thank you !


Hi phef

- If by 'Executive MBA', you mean 'MBA for Experienced Executives', then IIM A/B/C, ISB, and XLRI are all good options.
- If you mean 'part-time MBA' instead, then look at the ISB PGPMAX and ISB PGPPro.
- Your overall profile is excellent, with solid international experience. Even though the quantum of experience you have is high, you should be a good candidate for the ISB PGP with a decent GMAT (680 and above, though try for over 700).
- However, ISB is not the only school you can look at for a full-time MBA. If looking for broader options beyond ISB, do contact us directly.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:38
Top Contributor
SS101991 wrote:
Hi
Please evaluate my profile for 2019 intake
10-89%
12-93.75%
Economics hons from DU-6.4/10 (1st div)
Cfa level 3 candidate
GMAT-targetting 720
Taught a bunch of kids at a government school for 1.5 years while preparing for various govt jobs (non-paid)
Currently working as an Asset based securities Underwriter with a firm based out of US. The deals are handled by both, India and US team, with Fortune 500 investment banks. At the time of application will have 3 years of work ex.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi SS101991

- Good profile overall, although your undergrad score is slightly low. You might want to focus on a strong GMAT to make up. 720+ seems great.
- Your work ex is quite good, and will be a good point of differentiation. The NGO experience is great too - will not matter that it was not paid.
- The CFA L3 experience helps substantially as well.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Expert Post
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1292
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:39
Kryptographer wrote:
Dear Experts,

Could you please help evaluate my profile?

Academics:
X: 83.20%
XII: 77.16%
Undergrads: BE in ECE (69.80%)
GMAT: 700 Q47 V39 AWA5 IR6

Work Experience:
5 years 6 Months with Accenture as a SAP Project Systems Consultant.
Worked with clients in mapping business process to SAP. Lead and trained teams to deliver projects under strict timelines.
Lead a long term volunteering at a NGO as part of our company's CSR Activities.
Also won a prize of 1500 USD for a national level competition during my college days.

I understand that with my IT profile my chances seem slim.
However, I intend to retake the GMAT, but what should be a good score to target with my profile?

Thanks for your time!


Well, ISB has a big chunk of students with your profile - if they can get in so can you. The application is a sales pitch you make to the adcom to accept you and at this point, its completely in your hand to make a strong pitch and tilt the scale in your favour.
Essentially that means showcasing your leadership capability, your achievements and a strong need for MBA given your ambitious career goals.

Aim for a 720+ GMAT score, which is higher than the class average (~710).
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Write to us for a FREE profile evaluation
Read our blog:The MBA Decoder Bulletin
Read our Testimonials
View the Deadlines

Expert Post
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1292
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:50
Talayva wrote:
Academics:
10th : CGPA :9.8
12th : 98%
B.Tech : 8.49

Work Experience:
13 Months Oracle: Member of Technical Staff
10 Months : Real Estate Sector (Partly owned)

Extra Curricular:
Three Medals in Robotics during College
Real Estate Startup
Marathons , Gym


Leadership:
Fund Raising for Oracle Heart Walk (led a team of 10 ).
Plantation drive near a lake
Coordinator for few technical events during college .

Future Goals

Scale up our family start up , with experience from ISB

GMAT :
Cancelled a score of 700 few days ago . Aiming for anything above 750



As I understand, you are talking about startup mentioned in your ECA as the family startup?
There seems to be some alignment in your story that you are working in the real estate sector, also have your startup in the sector and wish to come back to the sector after MBA. That said, the adcoms will look for some credibility, more so because you have moved from another industry. What are your achievements in your present job and in the startup? How strong s the need to do something in this sector? Is 10 months enough time to decide that you will continue being in this space?
Basically, I am looking for a strong, convincing story....if you have the facts to show it will be great, otherwise waiting a year will not hurt.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Write to us for a FREE profile evaluation
Read our blog:The MBA Decoder Bulletin
Read our Testimonials
View the Deadlines

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2018
Posts: 3
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 20:52
MBADecoder wrote:
vaibhav6215 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Here's a quick overview of my profile for your evaluation :

Academics :
10th - 95%
12th - 90%
B.Tech - 7.9

Work Ex : 3 years
7 months - Real estate
2.5 years - Consulting/Analytics :
-22 Months as a Business Associate at ZS Associates
-6 months as an Advanced Analytics Consultant at PwC India (current company)

Planning to write GMAT in 3 weeks (consistent 720+ scores in the practice tests) and hoping to score anywhere around 750

Extra Acads :
School, College, State and National level quizzer with plenty of awards

Long Term Goal :
Management consulting/business analytics career

Thanks a lot in advance!


Hi Vaibhav,

Everything else being okay, I'd like to understand the move to real estate, even as you wish to get back to analytics post MBA.


I worked in real estate/construction straight out of college for a brief period and have been working in consulting/analytics space for the past 2.5 years.
Sorry for the confusion.
Expert Post
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1292
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 21:02
vaibhav6215 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
vaibhav6215 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Here's a quick overview of my profile for your evaluation :

Academics :
10th - 95%
12th - 90%
B.Tech - 7.9

Work Ex : 3 years
7 months - Real estate
2.5 years - Consulting/Analytics :
-22 Months as a Business Associate at ZS Associates
-6 months as an Advanced Analytics Consultant at PwC India (current company)

Planning to write GMAT in 3 weeks (consistent 720+ scores in the practice tests) and hoping to score anywhere around 750

Extra Acads :
School, College, State and National level quizzer with plenty of awards

Long Term Goal :
Management consulting/business analytics career

Thanks a lot in advance!


Hi Vaibhav,

Everything else being okay, I'd like to understand the move to real estate, even as you wish to get back to analytics post MBA.


I worked in real estate/construction straight out of college for a brief period and have been working in consulting/analytics space for the past 2.5 years.
Sorry for the confusion.


That's good. Somehow I assumed the last experience to be the first :dazed

You are in good shape then. Analytics is such a hot space to be in right now and most b-schools have a substantial academic offering in analytics. The other noteworthy thing in your profile is the big name companies you have worked with, both feeders to business schools. Beyond that you will stand on the merit of your profile- how strong are your professional and extra-curricular achievements and the impact you created.

A ~750 GMAT score will add to the wow factor.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Write to us for a FREE profile evaluation
Read our blog:The MBA Decoder Bulletin
Read our Testimonials
View the Deadlines

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1441
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 21:41
Top Contributor
Talayva wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
Talayva wrote:
Academics:
10th : CGPA :9.8
12th : 98%
B.Tech : 8.49

Work Experience:
13 Months Oracle: Member of Technical Staff
10 Months : Real Estate Sector (Partly owned)

Extra Curricular:
Three Medals in Robotics during College
Real Estate Startup
Marathons , Gym


Leadership:
Fund Raising for Oracle Heart Walk (led a team of 10 ).
Plantation drive near a lake
Coordinator for few technical events during college .

Future Goals

Scale up our family start up , with experience from ISB

GMAT :
Cancelled a score of 700 few days ago . Aiming for anything above 750


Hi Talavya

Thanks for posting.
- Your acads seem quite good. If you can get 720+, you should be in strong contention with a good app
- The work experience part has a small hiccup in the sectoral switch. You have also got less than a year in your current role, and this is a startup that is family-owned as well. This part will need to be addressed well - why do you need an MBA (the PGP) so soon?
- The ECA part also needs more information. The real estate startup is part of your work, and cannot be part of ECA. Robotics medals will count, but only to an extent. Need to show more leadership in that section. Will need to dig deeper on this front.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.


Firm that I currently work is not a startup (Real Estate, partially owned) . The one which I mentioned as a hobby is actually a startup .


Ok, please provide more details on what it is around and what your role there is. Thanks.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 21:41

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95  ...  98    Next  [ 1959 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.