Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
ISBmantra wrote:
enviousfox wrote:
Hey all,

10th - 70%
12th -78.4% (commerce)
Graduation - 65% (BBA)
Completed CFA with my BBA in the first attempt

Extra curricular- grade 8 guitar player from rock school (10+ exp). German language skills till b1 level

Current age 22, no work exp, gmat score - 640

Posted from my mobile device

Hi! With just 65% in your undergrad and a 640 GMAT, making it to ISB through the EEO is close to impossible. Anything less than 730 will make it very difficult. You mention that you completed the CFA along with your BBA. Is it the CFA (Level 1, 2 and 3) from the CFA Institute (USA) or one of the courses delivered by an institute in India?

All the Best!
ISBmantra / Admit Square Consulting

ISBmantra wrote:
enviousfox wrote:
Hey all,

10th - 70%
12th -78.4% (commerce)
Graduation - 65% (BBA)

Extra curricular- grade 8 guitar player from rock school (10+ exp). German language skills till b1 level

Hi! With just 65% in your undergrad and a 640 GMAT, making it to ISB through the EEO is close to impossible. Anything less than 730 will make it very difficult. You mention that you completed the CFA along with your BBA. Is it the CFA (Level 1, 2 and 3) from the CFA Institute (USA) or one of the courses delivered by an institute in India?

All the Best!

As i recall cfa institute is just one & only based in usa. i have taken coaching for it from indian coaching center. yes, all levels have been completed (lvl 1,2 & 3). Since i completed my bba and cfa in 2017 & couldn't make in indian mba last year. i decided to give GMAT and appear for certified fraud examiner course
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
enviousfox wrote:
ISBmantra wrote:
enviousfox wrote:
Hey all,

10th - 70%
12th -78.4% (commerce)
Graduation - 65% (BBA)

All the Best!

ISBmantra wrote:
enviousfox wrote:
Hey all,

10th - 70%
12th -78.4% (commerce)
Graduation - 65% (BBA)

All the Best!

As i recall cfa institute is just one & only based in usa. i have taken coaching for it from indian coaching center. yes, all levels have been completed (lvl 1,2 & 3)

ICFAI offered a CFA, IMS Proschool offers a course called CFA and so on... CFA all levels along with the BBA is pretty good and should help to some extent. Well done on that, but GMAT still remains an important hurdle to cross. Let's try scoring as close to 700 as possible.

All the Best!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Hello mentors,

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB and provide necessary advice for further steps.

Academics:
Bachelor of Engg (Electronics & Comm) - 7.9 (WBUT)
12th Standard: 83%
10th Standard: 89%

GMAT - no score yet (expecting 700+ in 3 months)

Work Experience:
3.1 years of experience (7 months of leave following an accident) in IT company, Infosys Ltd., working in technology: Oracle Human Capital Management, in a techno functional role, as an Impementation Consultant for various reputable US clients.

I worked and have a good idea of business hierarchies of client companies, handling their departmental structures, human workforce and compensation tracks (basically knowledge of how big companies run) as well as upto date on various issues(GDPR issue in Europe).

Post MBA goal - Strategy consultant or Strategic Marketing Consultant

Some other points which may add value to profile:

- Community Service - Teaching less priviledged kids (class 8 to college)
- Inter college accolades for dance and sports
- School captain and College Stream Representative
- I have been trading stocks for the past 2 years

What are my Chances? What score should I aim for?
Kindly advice what I need to do to increase my chances. I have completed various marketing certifications while I researched it. I am thinking of leaving Infosys and joining a digital marketing company for more experience in that field. Is it a good idea?

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Invoke wrote:
Hello mentors,

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB and provide necessary advice for further steps.

Academics:

<<snip>>

and joining a digital marketing company for more experience in that field. Is it a good idea?

Consider the following points Invoke:
  1. The profile contours you've shared look decent. However, it will be important to understand achievements/impact therein. Only the names of employers doesn't quite help get the richness which might be there. You'll have to think about what differentiates you from so many others at your workplaces who apply too.
  2. The ECs arc is good - there too, look for the impact quotient. School level stuff is unlikely to get you any brownie points.
  3. The profile planning bit depends on your timeline. If you are targeting this year, then a profile change at this stage may not be super helpful. Though, the move you have mentioned should help you get some edge and worth exploring. The post here will give you some perspective on what could be slightly more feasible post-MBA paths you can look at.
  4. Finally, there isn't really a magic GMAT number; read here. Always aim for way above your target school's average to make this an asset though.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Invoke wrote:
Hello mentors,

Hello @Invoke

Thanks for the detailed info.
Academics:

Looking at your past scores (which are good) and IT background you should target 730+ to stand out from other applicant. It will of course depend on other strengths in your profile as well. What I am concerned about is your timeline. If you are planning to take the GMAT in next 3 months, you may not have the luxury of time to write your applications. So plan that accordingly.

Work Experience:
3.1 years of experience (7 months of leave following an accident) in IT company, Infosys Ltd., working in technology: Oracle Human Capital Management, in a techno functional role, as an Impementation Consultant for various reputable US clients.

I worked and have a good idea of business hierarchies of client companies, handling their departmental structures, human workforce and compensation tracks (basically knowledge of how big companies run) as well as upto date on various issues(GDPR issue in Europe).
Since you come from an over-represented and competitive pool of applicants, you should set yourself apart by showcasing more maturity, career progress and achievements at work. Just the definition of your role/responsibilities will not help you stand out. Showcase the real business impact you have made. You can read here on what is required to get into ISB

An IT consultant or a product manager would seem a more realistic take. Not evident from the given info, the said shift will be possible if you can show transferable skills that you have gained in the last few years. The goals have to seem realistic enough too otherwise you come out as an employment risk. Add to your research by reading here

Generally speaking college extracurricular activities do not carry significant weight unless you have done something stellar. A good ECA is where you have had a long term/serious relationship and a positive impact on your life or the life of other. The teaching experience looks good, but did you stop that after college? What ECA have you been involved in the last few years? You will need to show contribution/impact on these activities rather than a laundry list..

What are my Chances? What score should I aim for?I'd say 730 and a strong application will give you a fighting chance.
Kindly advice what I need to do to increase my chances. I have completed various marketing certifications while I researched it. I am thinking of leaving Infosys and joining a digital marketing company for more experience in that field. Is it a good idea?
Even if you change your job now, how much learning/experience will you be able to gain before your MBA program? A few months at best. And if you apply to ISB just 2 months into a new job, be prepared to explain why MBA now so fresh into a new profile. Do not change jobs for the sake of an MBA. Do it only if you really wish to learn. And if you do wish to learn, then better stikc at that job for a considerable time, a couple of years at least.
To sign off- I'll say GMAT is not doubt the first devil to slay (figuratively speaking of course :-D ), but spend time on listing down your achievements, success, failure etc at work and finalizing realistic career goals. What other schools are you applying to- is another important piece of information. Needless to say how you tie in all of the above in your essays will decide the outcome.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
[/i]
Consider the following points Invoke:
  1. The profile contours you've shared look decent. However, it will be important to understand achievements/impact therein. Only the names of employers doesn't quite help get the richness which might be there. You'll have to think about what differentiates you from so many others at your workplaces who apply too.
  2. The ECs arc is good - there too, look for the impact quotient. School level stuff is unlikely to get you any brownie points.
  3. The profile planning bit depends on your timeline. If you are targeting this year, then a profile change at this stage may not be super helpful. Though, the move you have mentioned should help you get some edge and worth exploring. The post will give you some perspective on what could be slightly more feasible post-MBA paths you can look at.
  4. Finally, there isn't really a magic GMAT number; read. Always aim for way above your target school's average to make this an asset though.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Thanks MG, for the fast and most illuminating reply. A couple of questions more, please.
1. Can I worry about my ISB essays/other stuff(LORs) after my Gmat a couple of months later(exam in October. Aiming for 15th December round 2 deadline if ISB)? Or should I do it hand in hand?
2. Based on the career change post you've written (thanks), is it not possible to transition to marketing for IT engineers? Or should I stick with product management? Also, I was under the impression that strategy consultants can be from any major of MBA (irrespective of IT background). Is that not so?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Invoke wrote:
Thanks MG, for the fast and most illuminating reply. A couple of questions more, please.
1. Can I worry about my ISB essays/other stuff(LORs) after my Gmat a couple of months later(exam in October. Aiming for 15th December round 2 deadline if ISB)? Or should I do it hand in hand?
2. Based on the career change post you've written (thanks), is it not possible to transition to marketing for IT engineers? Or should I stick with product management? Also, I was under the impression that strategy consultants can be from any major of MBA (irrespective of IT background). Is that not so?

Should be pretty ok after the GMAT Invoke.

Marketing is pretty broad - first you'll have to develop a sense of what within. Consulting is possible sure, but do bear in mind that it is one of the most competitive areas on campus. In either case, think about what you bring to the table and how you'll make a case for it.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.31
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
10th - 92.2%
12th- 83.8%
Btech- 8.3 cgpa

Work experience - 7 years as Manager in PSU ( Energy sector)
Field - Mechanical Engineer

Extra curricular- athlete at school level, involvement in many extra curricular during Btech. Involved in many social activities such as teaching under privileged children and I have been contributing to social welfare after joining job

GMAT on 02.08.18...... Targeting to reach 700.....getting 680 in all mocks....Lets take it 670.
Please evaluate my profile

Originally posted by durgamadhab on 23 Jul 2018, 04:35.
Last edited by durgamadhab on 23 Jul 2018, 05:25, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
enviousfox wrote:
Hey all,

10th - 70%
12th -78.4% (commerce)
Graduation - 65% (BBA)

Hi enviousfox

Competition is intense for EEO candidates, so you should try and increase your GMAT score, if possible, to 700+. Also, in case you are not currently working, you should get into a job. Not only does that count towards your work experience (that you will need to complete the mandatory 2 years before you join ISB if you get through), but it also provides a boost to your applications.
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
Invoke wrote:
Hello mentors,

Academics:

Work Experience:

Hi,

Your profile looks alright, but of course from the larger IT pool. You have been involved in a wide range of activities, but for ISB, your core responsibilities at work are going to be the key and anything additional will give you an edge if you are awesome at it. Just being involved may not be good enough. Since you are yet to take the GMAT, target a 720+. Anything less may make it difficult.

Moving to a digital marketing company just about 2-3 months before your application may not give you so much to leverage, but you may do that nevertheless, if you think it will help you grow better in your career. But don't do it just for your MBA application.

All the Best!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Hello durgamadhab

Though your past acads are good and PSY experience can help stand out, please also mention more around career progress, achievements at work. ISB cares more about the 'content' and 'quality' of your work ex than just years or industry. (You can read here why these matter the most in your application)
Coming to extracurricular activities- college activities usually do not carry much weight unless you achieved something truly stellar. The social welfare during job may help you stand out, if you can showcase your contribution and impact here.
Lastly, what are your career goals my friend? The profile is incomplete without a compelling reason for an MBA at ISB. You can read here more on what can be realistic career goals.
You will need a spike in at least 3 out of these 4 factors- Academics+Quality of Work Ex+Diversity+Career Goals.
Now since a 670 GMAT is by no means a spike, you will need to have a spike in Quality of Work Ex+Diversity+Goals- tough to judge as qualitative information on all 3 is missing.
The only advice I can give you at this stage is to spend more time on GMAT prep and target a 710 to stand a better chance.
If you can, however bring out strong qualitative details in the other 3 factors, the situation may swing in your favor.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

durgamadhab wrote:
10th - 92.2%
12th- 83.8%
Btech- 8.3 cgpa

Extra curricular- athlete at school level, involvement in many extra curricular during Btech. Involved in many social activities such as teaching under privileged children and I have been contributing to social welfare after joining job

GMAT on 02.08.18...... Targeting to reach 700.....getting 680 in all mocks....Lets take it 670.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:
Invoke wrote:
Hello mentors,
Thanks for the detailed info.

Looking at your past scores (which are good) and IT background you should target 730+ to stand out from other applicant. It will of course depend on other strengths in your profile as well. What I am concerned about is your timeline.

<snip>

Even if you change your job now, how much learning/experience will you be able to gain before your MBA program? A few months at best. And if you apply to ISB just 2 months into a new job, be prepared to explain why MBA now so fresh into a new profile. Do not change jobs for the sake of an MBA. Do it only if you really wish to learn. And if you do wish to learn, then better stikc at that job for a considerable time, a couple of years at least.
To sign off- I'll say GMAT is not doubt the first devil to slay (figuratively speaking of course :-D ), but spend time on listing down your achievements, success, failure etc at work and finalizing realistic career goals. What other schools are you applying to- is another important piece of information. Needless to say how you tie in all of the above in your essays will decide the outcome.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507

Thank you Varun, for the 'Why MBA' post. It was most illuminating and helpful. Helped clear up quite a few things. A couple of questions more, please.
1. About the timeline issue you mentioned. I'm confused. Can't I worry about my ISB essays/other stuff(LORs) after my Gmat a couple of months later(exam in October. Aiming for 15th December round 2 deadline if ISB)? Or do you recommend doing it hand in hand?
2. Regarding the realistic career change, is it not possible to transition to non-IT related consultation from techno-functional consultant(present role)? Also, I was under the impression that strategy consultants can be from any major of MBA (irrespective of IT background). Is that no so?
3. Not a question per-se. More information. My ECA involves too many things(sleight of hand, speed cubing, basketball, TT, newspaper contributions, debates, oration, dance, parkour yada yada), and while not all are certified achievements, (most aren't :( ) looking back, can I classify these as achievements fit for leadership? P.S. I stopped them all after a major accident.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.31
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello durgamadhab

Though your past acads are good and PSY experience can help stand out, please also mention more around career progress, achievements at work. ISB cares more about the 'content' and 'quality' of your work ex than just years or industry. (You can read here why these matter the most in your application)
Coming to extracurricular activities- college activities usually do not carry much weight unless you achieved something truly stellar. The social welfare during job may help you stand out, if you can showcase your contribution and impact here.
Lastly, what are your career goals my friend? The profile is incomplete without a compelling reason for an MBA at ISB. You can read here more on what can be realistic career goals.
You will need a spike in at least 3 out of these 4 factors- Academics+Quality of Work Ex+Diversity+Career Goals.
Now since a 670 GMAT is by no means a spike, you will need to have a spike in Quality of Work Ex+Diversity+Goals- tough to judge as qualitative information on all 3 is missing.
The only advice I can give you at this stage is to spend more time on GMAT prep and target a 710 to stand a better chance.
If you can, however bring out strong qualitative details in the other 3 factors, the situation may swing in your favor.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

durgamadhab wrote:
10th - 92.2%
12th- 83.8%
Btech- 8.3 cgpa

Executive of the year - 02 times in a row
Day-to-day work includes resources management, manpower management, public relations management, important decisions regarding fund allocation and dealing with state level bureaucrats. Currently heading a group of 200 people and a fleet of 50 HEMMs.

GMAT on 02.08.18...... Targeting to reach 700.....getting 680 in all mocks....

10th - 92.2%
12th- 83.8%
Btech- 8.3 cgpa

Executive of the year - 02 times in a row
Day-to-day work includes resources management, manpower management, public relations management, important decisions regarding fund allocation and dealing with state level bureaucrats. Currently heading a group of 200 people and a fleet of 50 HEMMs. I have been promoted three times so far.

Extra curricular- athlete at school level, involvement in many extra curricular during Btech. Involved in many social activities such as teaching under privileged children and I have been contributing to social welfare after joining job. I am also associated with NGOs

GMAT on 02.08.18...... Targeting to reach 700.....getting 680 in all mocks....

I promise I shall get to that 700 mark :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ISBmantra wrote:
Invoke wrote:
Hello mentors,

Academics:

Work Experience:

Hi,

Your profile looks alright, but of course from the larger IT pool. You have been involved in a wide range of activities, but for ISB, your core responsibilities at work are going to be the key and anything additional will give you an edge if you are awesome at it. Just being involved may not be good enough. Since you are yet to take the GMAT, target a 720+. Anything less may make it difficult.

Moving to a digital marketing company just about 2-3 months before your application may not give you so much to leverage, but you may do that nevertheless, if you think it will help you grow better in your career. But don't do it just for your MBA application.

All the Best!

Thank you very much ISBmantra. :) I do realize that I belong to the generic IT pool, however hoping that a 730 score will be enough to offset it. Is it recommended to make a career shift to marketing merely in terms of faster career progressions and better leadership opportunities post MBA? (I am not too thrilled with my current work as a techno functional consultant. I am interested in strategy consulting and marketing consulting from what I have researched but am afraid that the grass looks greener on the other side.)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Invoke wrote:

Thank you Varun, for the 'Why MBA' post. It was most illuminating and helpful. Helped clear up quite a few things. A couple of questions more, please.
Glad to hear that. Latch on to anything that helps you in the process.
1. About the timeline issue you mentioned. I'm confused. Can't I worry about my ISB essays/other stuff(LORs) after my Gmat a couple of months later(exam in October. Aiming for 15th December round 2 deadline if ISB)? Or do you recommend doing it hand in hand?
If you take the GMAT by mid-October it is fine. A good application takes 5-10 weeks from scratch. This is assuming you will be applying to multiple schools (which you should if you are serious about an MBA). Considering 15 Oct to 15 Dec- you will have 8 weeks, so time, but not the luxury of time.

2. Regarding the realistic career change, is it not possible to transition to non-IT related consultation from techno-functional consultant(present role)? Also, I was under the impression that strategy consultants can be from any major of MBA (irrespective of IT background). Is that no so?
This is a more subjective topic. Considering that management consulting witnesses the maximum competition, you will have to show how you are not just interested but also suited to get such a role. Transferable skills, genuine research, convincing why you can get it are all important. Most applicants jump into the process citing strategy consulting as a goal because it sounds sexy, but lack proper research behind it or why they want it or how they have the skills that are fit for it. Then their essays or interviews come out as hollow and you know what that can lead to. Don't make the same mistake.
3. Not a question per-se. More information. My ECA involves too many things(sleight of hand, speed cubing, basketball, TT, newspaper contributions, debates, oration, dance, parkour yada yada), and while not all are certified achievements, (most aren't :( ) looking back, can I classify these as achievements fit for leadership? P.S. I stopped them all after a major accident.
Though certifications help, but they are not always essential. As mentioned earlier, a good extracurricular is where you can display a genuine long term/serious involvement and an impact on your life or the life of others. These activities sound interesting, but more than a laundry list focus on how these have added to you as an individual. Can you classify these as leadership? My friend that depends on the actual facts, your self discovery and story telling.
All the best for your GMAT. Go kill it!

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
Invoke wrote:
ISBmantra wrote:
Invoke wrote:
Hello mentors,

Academics:

Work Experience:

Hi,

All the Best!

Thank you very much ISBmantra. :) I do realize that I belong to the generic IT pool, however hoping that a 730 score will be enough to offset it. Is it recommended to make a career shift to marketing merely in terms of faster career progressions and better leadership opportunities post MBA? (I am not too thrilled with my current work as a techno functional consultant. I am interested in strategy consulting and marketing consulting from what I have researched but am afraid that the grass looks greener on the other side.)

We would suggest at this point you focus on developing an expertise. It's ok if it's more towards the technical side, but it will help you in the medium term. Being too much of a generalist in the early stages of your career can get counter-productive. Therefore, if an organization is offering you a marketing role, ensure that the industry isn't too niche and your responsibilities will allow you to develop some expertise (be it functional or in an industry that has wider scope).

All the Best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Beyondthegmat MBAkarma ISBmantra MBADecoder

Thank you very much for your inputs. I really appreciate your insight and comments for my profile. I am considering a help from a consultant to assist me with my essays as I am really serious to reserve a seat in the next year. Will you suggest any other school which will suit my profile? Post-MBA, I am looking forward to getting into a strategic or consultancy role.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  98   99   100   101   102  ...  307