Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello raghavshekhar

While your work ex certainly looks different due to your venture, not sure what your career goals are and why you wish to study at ISB.
Without this info your profile and application will be incomplete.
If you can get a 700+ and showcase a compelling need for an MBA at ISB, you may have a decent chance.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

raghavshekhar wrote:
Hi,

Planning to apply for Round 2. Haven't given mock yet, aiming for 700-720.

10th CBSE - 76 %
12th CBSE - 75.2 %

SRM University (B.tech - IT) - 7.34 GPA

Work Experience: 5+ years

1. Tata Consultancy Service (2.5 years)

- Development, Maintenance and Support on JAVA for an aviation client.
- Data Extraction using SQL/Postgres for monthly reporting on metrics.
- Managing learning and development of two trainees.
- Group Representative of 50 employees during training.
- Highest appraisal rating and Star of Performers group.
- JAVA & C certified. Trained in Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing.

2. Lawyered (2.5 years)

- Co-founded in 2015 after leaving TCS, Legal marketplace for startups and businesses.
- Got acquired by India Accelerator in April 2018.
- Worked on all aspects of business.
- Managed team of 10 directly under me.
- Notable metrics achieved multiple domains of Marketing and business development.
- Currently on Board of Advisors.

3. India Accelerator & Lawyered (6 months)

- Part time consultant on Fundraising, Technology and Marketing.

Co-Curricular:

- During College, founded an NGO (unregistered) which operated for 2 years. Managed team of 20 volunteers. Lots of newspaper mentions in newspaper coverage of activities.
- Started an online merchandise business which gave 20x return.
- Competitive gamer.

Haven't taken GMAT yet,

Scored a 640 in both GMAT Prep 1 and 690 in GMAT Prep 2.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:

While your work ex certainly looks different due to your venture, not sure what your career goals are and why you wish to study at ISB.
Without this info your profile and application will be incomplete.
If you can get a 700+ and showcase a compelling need for an MBA at ISB, you may have a decent chance.

raghavshekhar wrote:
Hi,

Planning to apply for Round 2. Haven't given mock yet, aiming for 700-720.

10th CBSE - 76 %
12th CBSE - 75.2 %

SRM University (B.tech - IT) - 7.34 GPA

Work Experience: 5+ years

1. Tata Consultancy Service (2.5 years)

- Development, Maintenance and Support on JAVA for an aviation client.
- Data Extraction using SQL/Postgres for monthly reporting on metrics.
- Managing learning and development of two trainees.
- Group Representative of 50 employees during training.
- Highest appraisal rating and Star of Performers group.
- JAVA & C certified. Trained in Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing.

2. Lawyered (2.5 years)

- Co-founded in 2015 after leaving TCS, Legal marketplace for startups and businesses.
- Got acquired by India Accelerator in April 2018.
- Worked on all aspects of business.
- Managed team of 10 directly under me.
- Notable metrics achieved multiple domains of Marketing and business development.
- Currently on Board of Advisors.

3. India Accelerator & Lawyered (6 months)

- Part time consultant on Fundraising, Technology and Marketing.

Co-Curricular:

- During College, founded an NGO (unregistered) which operated for 2 years. Managed team of 20 volunteers. Lots of newspaper mentions in newspaper coverage of activities.
- Started an online merchandise business which gave 20x return.
- Competitive gamer.

Haven't taken GMAT yet,

Scored a 640 in both GMAT Prep 1 and 690 in GMAT Prep 2.

Hi Varun,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking to build a career in the consulting side. I would be focussing on finance majorly through my course and hope to get into a PE/VC/Consulting firm as an Investment analyst/Professional. I'm very closely associated to the startup ecosystem (both founders and investors) and I wish to consult companies on building and scaling.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 2: 570 Q32 V37
GMAT 3: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 4: 710 Q47 V40
GRE 1: Q156 V158
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Would anybody like to have a go at analyzing my profile? Below are the details:

Class X: 87%
Class XII: 82%
CGPA: 7.19 (VIT University, B.Tech in Computer Engineering though there are a fair share of backlogs which I successfully cleared within the 4 years)
Best GMAT Score: 710 (Q47 V40 IR 7 AWA 5)

Work Experience: 5.5 years by March 2019 - All in Marketing. The last 4 years of those has been in a pan-Indian Fintech startup, with the last 1.5 years in a Managerial role.

Extracurricular: Ran a Culture Critic portal during my college days, Moderator of an aviation community since 2009, volunteered with Greenpeace India for 6 months in 2017.

Other: Completed a course with Coursera on Engagement & Nurture Marketing

Many thanks in advance!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Spiderguy,

Glad to see you out a web around the GMAT score . That's an outstanding story of grit and perseverance (reco lingo :-D , we are reading too many of them these days)
I see everything good on your profile. You will have to still project it in the best possible way that impresses the adcom and gets you the coveted interview invite.
All the best...hope you are applying for R1.

[quote=Spiderguy252]

Work Experience: 5.5 years by March 2019 - All in Marketing. The last 4 years of those has been in a pan-Indian Fintech startup, with the last 1.5 years in a Managerial role.

Extracurricular: Ran a Culture Critic portal during my college days, Moderator of an aviation community since 2009, volunteered with Greenpeace India for 6 months in 2017.

Many thanks in advance![/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
HI All,

I would appreciate if someone can help me evaluate profile for ISB.

GMAT Score - 710 Q49 V38 AWA-4 IR-8

Experience - 4.5 years in IT industry as Software Engineer

Academics -
BE (IT) - 7.3
12th - 80.2%
10th - 83.6

Awards -
Employee of the Month, Team of the Quarter, Innovation award 2015, Innovation award 2017
2 promotions so far

Extra-Curricular -
Winner at district level Doubles TT tournament 2015
Runner-Up at district level Doubles TT tournament 2016
Head of TT Club at organization level for 2 years
Hobbyist Photographer with 2 photography profiles on Instagram
Covered Marathon as an event photographer in 2015
Couple of my photographs were part of an exhibition on heritage walk
and many more...

No International Experience.

How would my profile weigh against other applicants at ISB? And what are the areas that require improvement?

Thank You.
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
DarshilPandya wrote:
HI All,

Academics -
BE (IT) - 7.3
12th - 80.2%
10th - 83.6

Awards -
Employee of the Month, Team of the Quarter, Innovation award 2015, Innovation award 2017
2 promotions so far

Extra-Curricular -
and many more...

How would my profile weigh against other applicants at ISB? And what are the areas that require improvement?

Thank You.

Hi,
ISB assesses each applicant holistically. Significant weightage is placed on the following:
- Profile: This includes your educational background, the quality and tenure of your work experience, and your participation in extracurricular activities.
There is not a significant amount of information available to assess the quality of your work experience. It would be helpful to have a bit more clarity around your exact role, the impact of our decisions, the kind of teams you work with and the scope of responsibilities and duties delivered by you. However, a compelling case can be built around your achievements at work as highlighted through various workplace awards won by you. Your ECA section appears to be strong. It will be crucial to present your ECA achievements in the most efficient manner. A high degree of mastery in one domain is more suitable than dipping your toes in multiple ponds.
- Application: This includes your essays and Letter of recommendation (LoR). Your essays will compose of answers to two crucial questions that ISB asks as a part of their application. Along with the essays, an LoR will be sought from your supervisors at work
Essays are a crucial aspect of an ISB application. You are expected to be succinct while justifying the need for an MBA at this stage of your life. If you can create a compelling story that justifies an MBA from ISB as a means of transition from your short-term goals to medium term and long-term goals, you should not face any challenges in this regard. You should also be confident of your unique contributions to the class, and highlight the same in your application. You career goals need to be presented in a compelling fashion, with a natural flow established between where you are currently and how ISB’s PGP plugs the gap to enable you to achieve your long-term objective.
- Test Score: Your GMAT/GRE score will be representative of your reasoning and aptitude-related abilities. It can be used to compensate for the lack of stellar academics
Being an engineer, you will not fall in the “diversity” bucket. Therefore, it becomes crucial for you to present a strong GMAT score. Given your profile, you should target a score in the range of 710-730 to maximize your chances of selection and eventual conversion. While an admit at a GMAT score of 710 is certainly possible if your essays and LoR are exceptionally good, a GMAT score of at least 720+ can be considered as a booster for your profile. You could use the extension in the GMAT window to plan a second attempt if possible.
Overall, we believe you stand a decent chance at securing an interview call and would recommend you go ahead by paying attention on your Essays. They will be the deciding factor given your profile since you have all other bases covered.
Hope this helps!
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello DarshilPandya

Though your past acads and GMAT is decent, considering your IT background it is not stellar enough to help you stand out.
So you will need to highlight spectacular strengths in other areas- Career Progression, Achievements at work (awards are not achievements, they are results) and real business impact.
Similarly with extracurricular, showcase your contribution and impact more than a laundry list. The school is more interested in the 'qualitative' side of your story.
Not sure what organization you work with- the brand can help you at times. You can read here on what factors to focus on in your written application.
Lastly, the most important piece of information is missing- what are your short term/long term career goals and why do these goals require an MBA. A profile and an application is incomplete without this info. You may want to add to your research by reading here

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

DarshilPandya wrote:
HI All,

Academics -
BE (IT) - 7.3
12th - 80.2%
10th - 83.6

Awards -
2 promotions so far

Extra-Curricular -
and many more...

Thank You.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Spiderguy252

Interesting profile in terms of Work Ex, GMAT and extracurricular, but what are your career goals, my friend?

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Would anybody like to have a go at analyzing my profile? Below are the details:

Class X: 87%
Class XII: 82%
CGPA: 7.19 (VIT University, B.Tech in Computer Engineering though there are a fair share of backlogs which I successfully cleared within the 4 years)
Best GMAT Score: 710 (Q47 V40 IR 7 AWA 5)

Many thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GRE 1: Q157 V156
GPA: 4
Send PM
Please review my profile for the ISB class of 2020:

X- 94.4%
XII- 94.8%
B.E in Chemical Engineeing- 9.01 CGPA from a top state university
GMAT - 660 (not too pleased with the score, might go for a re-take)

Work-Ex- 36 months with a leading multi-national insurance firm. I work in the loss prevention and risk management domain for various commercial and energy enterprises. My job involves a fair bit of travelling and client consulting in various parts of the world, I perform property audits to improve the quality of risk and at the same time assist the company in deciding if we should be writing this business or not.

I like what I am doing right now and I believe than an MBA will widen my opportunities and give me an outlook that can make a bigger impact in the market.

Extra Curricular- I have been training in classical dance since I was seven, I have even taken it up professionally while I was in college performing with various troupes in events such as BRICS summit, Kyoto to Kashi etc. Additionally, I was the dance team head in college.

I was a part of a youth group which consisted of individuals from various colleges across the city, we organised events to raise awareness towards social issues.

I am passionate about public speaking and actively associated with the Toastmasters Club at my work place, currently the Associate President of the Club.

Lastly, I like writing - I have an online blog that I started earlier this year as well as Newsletter that I am editor of at my work place. Other active interests include yoga, fitness and literature.

Awards - Employee of the Quarter, Triple Crown Award (Toastmasters Org.), Best Final Project (College, IIChe)

Papers - 2 published papers while I was completing my undergrad.

My major concern with respect to the application is my GMAT score (My target score was 700-730 while prepping). I am ready for Round 1 in terms of my essays and other such details however if I re-attempt my GMAT I cannot target Round 1. And I hear that Round 2 applicant pool is much larger. Could you please assist?

Originally posted by athena18 on 10 Sep 2018, 00:32.
Last edited by athena18 on 10 Sep 2018, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Hello,

I am 32 years Indian Male, going to be 33 this November.
10th - 79% from State Board
12th - 81% from State Board
B.E. in Mechanical Engineering - 73%

Job Experience -
7 months in Jindal Steel, Raigarh in 2007
Then after in BHEL (Maharatna PSU working in energy and manufacturing sector) for 10+ years (Going to be 11 years in Feb'2019).
In BHEL, I have worked 6 years in 4 sites (I was site in charge in 2 sites). Presently working in Project Engineering.

Hobbies -
Photography (Have won competitions, published in some websites, one magazine and one newspaper)
Cooking
Writing (Write blogs sometimes, mainly poems and short stories, took part in TOI Write India Contest, did not won anything there though)

I run and cycle , took part in 11km Run Bhopal Run in 2017. Finished in top 20%.

GMAT Score 710 (V38, Q49, IR5). This is my 2nd attempt. I scored 640 (Q47, V32, IR6, AWA5.5) in 1st attempt, which was 6 weeks back.

Future Goal -
Change industry from Energy to FMCG, as I wish to work in Food and Beverage sector.
I am applying for ISB Round 1.

Please evaluate my profile.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rakesh Mondal
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello athena18

While your profile looks decent in terms of work ex and extracurricular, your GMAT is definitely on the lower side and your specific career goals are missing.
You may want to read here on what makes a complete profile and here on career goals.
Coming to retaking the GMAT yes you should do that and target a 700+ at least.
ISB has sent a notification that they are willing to accept GMAT scores till 15th Oct even for R1 applications. The deadline for essays remains the same (15 Sep) and you need to book the date before 15 Sep.
That may help you.
That said, follow this only if you are sure of cracking above 700 before 15 Oct (a month of prep). Otherwise, though applying in R1 has its advantages, one must apply whenever their application is the strongest (in your case it will be stronger with a higher GMAT). So if you feel you can get a higher GMAT by Nov, apply in R2, do not rush things and derail both your essays and the GMAT.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

athena18 wrote:
Please review my profile for the ISB class of 2020:

X- 94.4%
XII- 94.8%
B.E in Chemical Engineeing- 9.01 CGPA from a top state university
GMAT - 660 (not too pleased with the score, might go for a re-take)

Work-Ex- 36 months with a leading multi-national insurance firm. I work in the loss prevention and risk management domain for various commercial and energy enterprises. My job involves a fair bit of travelling and client consulting in various parts of the world, I perform property audits to improve the quality of risk and at the same time assist the company in deciding if we should be writing this business or not.

I like what I am doing right now and I believe than an MBA will widen my opportunities and give me an outlook that can make a bigger impact in the market.

Extra Curricular- I have been training in classical dance since I was seven, I have even taken it up professionally while I was in college performing with various troupes in events such as BRICS summit, Kyoto to Kashi etc. Additionally, I was the dance team head in college.

I was a part of a youth group which consisted of individuals from various colleges across the city, we organised events to raise awareness towards social issues.

I am passionate about public speaking and actively associated with the Toastmasters Club at my work place, currently the Associate President of the Club.

Lastly, I like writing - I have an online blog that I started earlier this year as well as Newsletter that I am editor of at my work place. Other active interests include yoga, fitness and literature.

Awards - Employee of the Quarter, Triple Crown Award (Toastmasters Org.), Best Final Project (College, IIChe)

Papers - 2 published papers while I was completing my undergrad.

My major concern with respect to the application is my GMAT score (My target score was 700-730 while prepping). I am ready for Round 1 in terms of my essays and other such details however if I re-attempt my GMAT I cannot target Round 1. And I hear that Round 2 applicant pool is much larger. Could you please assist?
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello raks85

Your GMAT and work ex is good and gives you a slight edge.
Not entirely sure how moving into FMCG ties in with your past experience and need of an MBA (would need to understand the nature of your work deeply to comment on that). So make sure the career goals you present are realistic, organic and fit with the school.
A weak career goals narrative can hurt an application the most.
What other schools are you applying to? With your experience you could target IIM one year program. R1 dates are gone, but can still apply in R2.
Whereas ISB is concerned, if you are applying in R1, then you must be done with your essays/LOR by now (I assume)- as ultimately that is what will help you set yourself apart.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

raks85 wrote:
Hello,

Job Experience -
Then after in BHEL (Maharatna PSU working in energy and manufacturing sector) for 10+ years (Going to be 11 years in Feb'2019).
In BHEL, I have worked 6 years in 4 sites (I was site in charge in 2 sites). Presently working in Project Engineering.

Hobbies -
Photography (Have won competitions, published in some websites, one magazine and one newspaper)
Cooking
Writing (Write blogs sometimes, mainly poems and short stories, took part in TOI Write India Contest, did not won anything there though)

I run and cycle , took part in 11km Run Bhopal Run in 2017. Finished in top 20%.

GMAT Score 710 (V38, Q49, IR5). This is my 2nd attempt. I scored 640 (Q47, V32, IR6, AWA5.5) in 1st attempt, which was 6 weeks back.

Future Goal -
Change industry from Energy to FMCG, as I wish to work in Food and Beverage sector.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rakesh Mondal
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hi,
Please help to evaluate my profile for ISB Class of 2020.

X : 95.4%
XII : 92.8%
Undergrad : Computer Science & Engineering (Non IIT/NIT) : 81%

Work Ex :
Samsung India Electronics Limited (Android App Development)
Currently working as Lead Engineer in the Product R&D Team for Contacts and Phone Applications.

International Work-Ex : Have traveled to Samsung Headquarters (Suwon, South Korea) 4 times, successfully developing and publishing features in five flagship models (Galaxy S8, Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S9, Galaxy Note9) and have also lead a team for developing an application for Korean Railways, a Korean Government Project.

At the same time, lead the Contacts and Phone Application teams for the first three SRI-Noida Models for SWA (South West Asia) markets including TST (Turbo Speed Technology) and Android GO.

Extra Curricular : Lead Vocalist & Secretary of the Music Society of the University.
Core member of the organizing committee of the Annual Techno-Cultural
Core member of Melody-Us, the music club at Samsung Noida.
Participated and won prizes in a number of Inter School Debates, Quizzes and Music competitions.
Head Boy at school, Class Representative and Senior Placement Coordinator at College for Computer Science & Engineering, Class of 2014.

Hobbies : An avid follower of football (English Premier League in particular), Singing, Poetry Writing.

Voluntary : Member of the Roataract Club at college, organized blood donation camps, Member of CSR club at Samsung (teaching, organizing donations and various events (Sports Day, festival celebrations etc, at an adopted orphanage in Noida)

GMAT : 730 (QA 49, VA 40, IR 8, AWA 5.5)

Career Goals :
Small term :Join a Healthcare Consulting firm.
Long Term : Be a part of the decision making process at a Healthcare Consulting firm in order to focus on improving the medical facilities and health for lower/lower middle class.

Planning to apply in R2.

What are my chances compared to other applicants bringing in diversity, considering that I belong to the major pool of applicants (Male, Engineer, IT).
Should I consider re-taking GMAT ( I genuinely feel I can improve on my QA score and did not do justice with QA during the exam)
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello ViktorKrum

You have a lot going for you- big brand on the CV, international exposure, decent GMAT.
Would help further if you focus on career progression and real business impact of your work
Similarly with extracurricular, talk about your contribution and achievements here rather than a laundry list. School/college activities usually do not carry a lot of weight unless you have achieved something spectacular.
Coming to a retake, if you are confident of taking this score up to a 750 , then why not. You have enough time for R2 application.
Not clear on how many years work ex you have- what other schools are you targeting?
Lastly, the given info does not throw enough light on your career goals linking to your past experience. If you have a strong narrative there, you have a fighting chance at ISB.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ViktorKrum wrote:
Hi,
Please help to evaluate my profile for ISB Class of 2020.

X : 95.4%
XII : 92.8%
Undergrad : Computer Science & Engineering (Non IIT/NIT) : 81%

Work Ex :
Samsung India Electronics Limited (Android App Development)
Currently working as Lead Engineer in the Product R&D Team for Contacts and Phone Applications.

International Work-Ex : Have traveled to Samsung Headquarters (Suwon, South Korea) 4 times, successfully developing and publishing features in five flagship models (Galaxy S8, Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S9, Galaxy Note9) and have also lead a team for developing an application for Korean Railways, a Korean Government Project.

At the same time, lead the Contacts and Phone Application teams for the first three SRI-Noida Models for SWA (South West Asia) markets including TST (Turbo Speed Technology) and Android GO.

Extra Curricular : Lead Vocalist & Secretary of the Music Society of the University.
Core member of the organizing committee of the Annual Techno-Cultural
Core member of Melody-Us, the music club at Samsung Noida.
Participated and won prizes in a number of Inter School Debates, Quizzes and Music competitions.
Head Boy at school, Class Representative and Senior Placement Coordinator at College for Computer Science & Engineering, Class of 2014.

Hobbies : An avid follower of football (English Premier League in particular), Singing, Poetry Writing.

Voluntary : Member of the Roataract Club at college, organized blood donation camps, Member of CSR club at Samsung (teaching, organizing donations and various events (Sports Day, festival celebrations etc, at an adopted orphanage in Noida)

GMAT : 730 (QA 49, VA 40, IR 8, AWA 5.5)

Career Goals :
Small term :Join a Healthcare Consulting firm.
Long Term : Be a part of the decision making process at a Healthcare Consulting firm in order to focus on improving the medical facilities and health for lower/lower middle class.

Planning to apply in R2.

What are my chances compared to other applicants bringing in diversity, considering that I belong to the major pool of applicants (Male, Engineer, IT).
Should I consider re-taking GMAT ( I genuinely feel I can improve on my QA score and did not do justice with QA during the exam)
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello raks85

Your GMAT and work ex is good and gives you a slight edge.
Not entirely sure how moving into FMCG ties in with your past experience and need of an MBA (would need to understand the nature of your work deeply to comment on that). So make sure the career goals you present are realistic, organic and fit with the school.
A weak career goals narrative can hurt an application the most.
What other schools are you applying to? With your experience you could target IIM one year program. R1 dates are gone, but can still apply in R2.
Whereas ISB is concerned, if you are applying in R1, then you must be done with your essays/LOR by now (I assume)- as ultimately that is what will help you set yourself apart.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

raks85 wrote:
Hello,

Job Experience -

Hobbies -
Cooking

Future Goal -

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rakesh Mondal

Hello Varun,

Thank you for such a quick response.

I wish to change from my present industry because of 2 reasons. Number -1 : Indian power sector (specially conventional thermal power sector) is stagnant and might not grow in future due to introduction of renewable sources. So, changing in the same industry might not help in long run. Number-2 : I am passionate about food industry and would like to have my own venture in this sector in long run. Joining the food and beverage FMCG companies would be the first step to know about the business in and out.

My essays are in final draft; they need a bit more polishing. My reporting officer is going to complete the recommendation in a day or two. I expect a good recommendation from him, as I have a good rapport with him. In fact he has helped my in my studies by allowing me to have less time consuming works in past months.

I am applying in the 1 year programs of IIMs also, IIMC first round and IIM A & B second round. Do you think, I have a better chance to get admission in IIMs than in ISB?

Regards
Rakesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GPA: 3.69
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile:

I am Madan - age 25 years, have 4 years of work experience in IT, but worked multiple roles and domains. Following is brief on my professional journey.

-> Started career as Software Engineer at Chennai working on ERP - SCM, Finance and Purchase modules for 1 year.
* I have supported Automobile and Pharmaceutical clients across the globe (majorly Eastern, Europe and North American countries.)
(Reason for change: Personal issues and had to relocate o Hyderabad, as my family resides there)

-> Later moved to Hyderabad and worked on Software development for a small sized company (less than 100 employees) for 2.2 years. Here I built mobile and web applications for clients from healthcare, social media and advertising industries.
* Being a small sized company I got chance to take following initiatives:
> Led the Intern and Freshmen Training Program and also was lead for Campus Hiring Program.
> Initiated a Talent Enhancement Team to facilitate cross training leveraging the expertise available on the floor while growing each other.
> Took an initiative by automating organization's daily operations which 80% reduced manual work and improved employee-leadership engagement.
(Reason for change: There was no financial growth. I was earning the same as I earned in my previous organization for 2.2 years. Also I had few other goals and thought to shift career)

-> Currently, I am into a techno-function role in an MNC as an R&D Practitioner in Tax. It's been 10 months since I joined here. Following are my key responsibilities:
* Provide strategic advice to clients across UK and Canada in identifying and claiming government incentives to help them manage R&D expenditure.
* Work closely with Tax authorities and regulator in the respective jurisdiction to enable our clients to get maximum monetary benefit.
* Identify and assess key advancements in work done by our clients during a fiscal year and provide financial benefit estimates on eligible work.
* Develop scientific documents in-line with R&D tax relief regulations.
(Reason to choose this role, leaving development: This role has requirement of strong research capabilities and facilitates me to understand various best practices used by top industries. This knowledge was very valuable to build the product that I am planning since long time)

Academics:
SSC: 88.3%
Intermediate/12th: 87.9%
Graduation/ BTech: 77.79% - Computer Science Engineering - 2014 passed out.

GMAT: 590 V24 Q48 (I understand my GMAT score is low and planning to retake it.)

Other Activities:
-> Been Student Ambassador at Aspiring Minds, a leading employ-ability assessment test company. Mentored students in our college region and helped them find jobs by connecting to the recruiters.
-> Organized events, raised funds, won sponsors for our College fests.
-> Been volunteer at NSS Camps conducted by college to repair roads and schools of villages in Telangana.
-> I was the college topper and won awards from Microsoft for the games I developed during graduation.
-> Promoted and raised funds to a state level chess competition (Brenin) hosted by our college.

At Professional Level:
-> I was top performer as fresher.
-> Been part of Toastmaster International and have completed Competent Communicator Level 8.
-> Won awards as best role player in various events at Chennai Toastmaster Clubs.
-> Successfully handled Campus hiring program delivering organization's vision and values. Got recognized and rewarded by CEO on this regard.
-> Worked as a volunteer for children education cause at villages around Nagarjuna Sagar as part of CSR initiative.
-> Mentored Interns and Freshmen.
-> I play Volleyball and also part of Deloitte Tax's Volleyball team taking part in organizational tournaments.

Hobbies:
-> Playing Volleyball, badminton and chess.
-> Watching Japanese anime.
-> Beat-boxing - not an expert but it is a great pastime.
-> Reading psychology/motivational and science fiction books, and online scientific, technological articles.
-> Cooking

Long Term Goal:
As my profile may suggest, I am techie and wanted to make use of my knowledge and expertise in developing things that make life easier and better. With that passion, I am developing an application with team of 4 members (all techies) including me. Going forward I want to transform myself as an entrepreneur.

Short term goal:
I want to shift to business development roles and gain necessary experience to meet my long term goal.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello omadangopal123

A profile is made up of Academic, Work Ex, Diversity and Clear Career Goals (you may read more on that here)
Now your work ex looks decent and you have a decent clarity on career goals. Make sure you showcase why you need an MBA (that too from ISB) to fulfill these goals.
Coming from an IT background you will need to work on diversity and standing out from this large pool. One simple (not easy) way of doing it is scoring high on the GMAT (730+) and other way is to showcase excellent career progress, achievements at work and impact in extracurricular activities. If you work on both, you may have a fighting chance. GMAT is certainly the first demon to slay.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

omadangopal123 wrote:
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile:

I am Madan - age 25 years, have 4 years of work experience in IT, but worked multiple roles and domains. Following is brief on my professional journey.

-> Started career as Software Engineer at Chennai working on ERP - SCM, Finance and Purchase modules for 1 year.
* I have supported Automobile and Pharmaceutical clients across the globe (majorly Eastern, Europe and North American countries.)
(Reason for change: Personal issues and had to relocate o Hyderabad, as my family resides there)

-> Later moved to Hyderabad and worked on Software development for a small sized company (less than 100 employees) for 2.2 years. Here I built mobile and web applications for clients from healthcare, social media and advertising industries.
* Being a small sized company I got chance to take following initiatives:
> Led the Intern and Freshmen Training Program and also was lead for Campus Hiring Program.
> Initiated a Talent Enhancement Team to facilitate cross training leveraging the expertise available on the floor while growing each other.
> Took an initiative by automating organization's daily operations which 80% reduced manual work and improved employee-leadership engagement.
(Reason for change: There was no financial growth. I was earning the same as I earned in my previous organization for 2.2 years. Also I had few other goals and thought to shift career)

-> Currently, I am into a techno-function role in an MNC as an R&D Practitioner in Tax. It's been 10 months since I joined here. Following are my key responsibilities:
* Provide strategic advice to clients across UK and Canada in identifying and claiming government incentives to help them manage R&D expenditure.
* Work closely with Tax authorities and regulator in the respective jurisdiction to enable our clients to get maximum monetary benefit.
* Identify and assess key advancements in work done by our clients during a fiscal year and provide financial benefit estimates on eligible work.
* Develop scientific documents in-line with R&D tax relief regulations.
(Reason to choose this role, leaving development: This role has requirement of strong research capabilities and facilitates me to understand various best practices used by top industries. This knowledge was very valuable to build the product that I am planning since long time)

Academics:
SSC: 88.3%
Intermediate/12th: 87.9%
Graduation/ BTech: 77.79% - Computer Science Engineering - 2014 passed out.

GMAT: 590 V24 Q48 (I understand my GMAT score is low and planning to retake it.)

Other Activities:
-> Been Student Ambassador at Aspiring Minds, a leading employ-ability assessment test company. Mentored students in our college region and helped them find jobs by connecting to the recruiters.
-> Organized events, raised funds, won sponsors for our College fests.
-> Been volunteer at NSS Camps conducted by college to repair roads and schools of villages in Telangana.
-> I was the college topper and won awards from Microsoft for the games I developed during graduation.
-> Promoted and raised funds to a state level chess competition (Brenin) hosted by our college.

At Professional Level:
-> I was top performer as fresher.
-> Been part of Toastmaster International and have completed Competent Communicator Level 8.
-> Won awards as best role player in various events at Chennai Toastmaster Clubs.
-> Successfully handled Campus hiring program delivering organization's vision and values. Got recognized and rewarded by CEO on this regard.
-> Worked as a volunteer for children education cause at villages around Nagarjuna Sagar as part of CSR initiative.
-> Mentored Interns and Freshmen.
-> I play Volleyball and also part of Deloitte Tax's Volleyball team taking part in organizational tournaments.

Hobbies:
-> Playing Volleyball, badminton and chess.
-> Watching Japanese anime.
-> Beat-boxing - not an expert but it is a great pastime.
-> Reading psychology/motivational and science fiction books, and online scientific, technological articles.
-> Cooking

Long Term Goal:
As my profile may suggest, I am techie and wanted to make use of my knowledge and expertise in developing things that make life easier and better. With that passion, I am developing an application with team of 4 members (all techies) including me. Going forward I want to transform myself as an entrepreneur.

Short term goal:
I want to shift to business development roles and gain necessary experience to meet my long term goal.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  107   108   109   110   111  ...  307