GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 03:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Location: India
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 22:54
Thank you for your input, i am working on my application and if i need any help, i will reach out to you. Thanks again!


ABatExpertsGlobal wrote:
ksapna wrote:
Hi All,

Please review my profile for ISB:

Academic Background:
1. Bachelor of Technology in IT from VIT university Vellore - 9.03/10 cgpa and among top 20 in batch
2. Class XII - 91%
3. Class X - 87%

GMAT Score - 720

Work Experience - Senior Business Analyst at Ford Motor Company (IT)- 5 years 3 months
1. Responsible for end to end delivery of product
2. Led a team of 8 members
3. Travelled to USA for business works - short trips
4. Organised various events in Ford and get recognised from Senior management for the same.
5. Organised Corporate Social initiatives events by working with different NGOs


6 months social service work experience with one NGO in Delhi

Hobbies - Paintings and food blogging

Please evaluate my profile and provide your inputs.

Thank you all for your help and support


Hi ksapna,

Considering the strong academic grades, leadership experience, and international exposure, there is a fair bit working for you. The extra-curriculars, though, not stellar, are decent. Additionally, the GMAT score looks alright as well.

A lot depends on how well you present all the information in your essays and build a case for yourself. We suggest that you view the following video in order to garner a perspective on writing ISB essays. Feel free to reach out to us in case you need a detailed conversation.



All the best! :-)
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 539
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 23:08
Hello vishnu90

The information is too limited to give a meaningful answer.
Based on such generic stats, you will get a generic answer- please aim to be higher than 720 to stand out from the highly competitive IT Male pool of applicants.
There might be other elements in your profile which may help you stand out (Brand on the CV, career progress, achievements, extracurricular, strong career goals narrative etc) but all that info is missing here.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


vishnu90 wrote:
Hello,

I am a graduate male engineer, having work experience of 6years in IT consulting in India.Good academics and many extra curriculars and NGO experiences.
X-94%(State)
XII-97%(State)
B.Tech-84%(State -Unty Rank)
What are my chances?And how much GMAT score should I target for an ISB call?

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Location: India
GPA: 3.66
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
CAT Tests
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 23:44
Indian, Female, 23 years old
Work Experience: 3 years, will be 4 years by the time I join. Working in the marketing department of a top Real Estate company in the country.
Undergrad: Bachelor of Business Administration, Christ University
(Christ University was ranked No. 1 for the BBA program as per India Today for the entire duration of my BBA course)
GMAT: 600, Q-35, V-38. Preparing for another attempt, targeting 700+.
GPA: 3.66/4, among the Top 3 in a class of 72, received a merit based scholarship for the same

Work Experience:
1. Was initially a part of the Strategy team in the company for the first six months and moved to the Marketing team post that
2. As a part of the Marketing team I was the only resource for a six month duration which gave me exposure to all aspects of Marketing in a Real Estate firm very early on. I
successfully executed launch campaigns for various projects, independently.
3. Initiated brand tie-ups for our residential projects which was a first. These tie-ups were with global brands in the healthcare and lifestyle sector which contributed to
successful launches and eventually became the norm for all our projects.
4. Have been promoted within two years, due for another promotion in April 2019.

Extra-curriculars:
1. National Level Swimmer
2. Presented a marketing research paper during college
3. Regular volunteer at an NGO which involved improving the lives of the children with special needs
4. Represented my university for many Parliamentary debates at fests
5. Was a member of the Core Commitee which is involved in organizing fests and events in college
6. Genuinely enjoy emceeing - have done so for many formal events in college

Considering my profile what would be the minimum GMAT score I would need to target to get an interview call at ISB?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q56 V44
GMAT 2: 700 Q56 V44
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 00:24
hi,

please review my profile for ISB

I have a master's degree in Structural Engineering(Civil) from BITS Pilani(8.7 GPA)
Bachelor's in Civil Eng (6.2)
10-89%
12-92%

GMAT-700

I have work experience of 2.5 yrs in designing various structures(Buildings & Bridges) in the Middle East & India (Coordinating with architects & site issues )
Good amount of Extra circular activities.

I'm planning to move to consulting, finance or energy sectors.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 539
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 00:58
Helloshruti.shambhavi

Most factors in your profile are pretty strong- different work ex from most applicants, interesting extracurricular activities (hence fodder for essays), decent past acads.
The 'iffy' part is you GMAT, aim for a 700+ for a decent shot. Also, missing is any information around your career goals- this narrative is vital for a strong application.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


shruti.shambhavi wrote:
Indian, Female, 23 years old
Work Experience: 3 years, will be 4 years by the time I join. Working in the marketing department of a top Real Estate company in the country.
Undergrad: Bachelor of Business Administration, Christ University
(Christ University was ranked No. 1 for the BBA program as per India Today for the entire duration of my BBA course)
GMAT: 600, Q-35, V-38. Preparing for another attempt, targeting 700+.
GPA: 3.66/4, among the Top 3 in a class of 72, received a merit based scholarship for the same

Work Experience:
1. Was initially a part of the Strategy team in the company for the first six months and moved to the Marketing team post that
2. As a part of the Marketing team I was the only resource for a six month duration which gave me exposure to all aspects of Marketing in a Real Estate firm very early on. I
successfully executed launch campaigns for various projects, independently.
3. Initiated brand tie-ups for our residential projects which was a first. These tie-ups were with global brands in the healthcare and lifestyle sector which contributed to
successful launches and eventually became the norm for all our projects.
4. Have been promoted within two years, due for another promotion in April 2019.

Extra-curriculars:
1. National Level Swimmer
2. Presented a marketing research paper during college
3. Regular volunteer at an NGO which involved improving the lives of the children with special needs
4. Represented my university for many Parliamentary debates at fests
5. Was a member of the Core Commitee which is involved in organizing fests and events in college
6. Genuinely enjoy emceeing - have done so for many formal events in college

Considering my profile what would be the minimum GMAT score I would need to target to get an interview call at ISB?

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 539
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 01:01
Hello guest1708

While your past acads, international exposure will certainly help you, the 700 GMAT (considering years of work ex on the lower end) can be a slight hindrance.
A lot of competition from civil engineers these days at ISB. Since there is enough time between now and R 2 deadline, why don't you retake and aim for a 720ish? It will help you immensely.
Meanwhile do touch upon the qualitative factors as well- achievements, extracurricular activities, career goals. You may read here and here to add to your research.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com



guest1708 wrote:
hi,

please review my profile for ISB

I have a master's degree in Structural Engineering(Civil) from BITS Pilani(8.7 GPA)
Bachelor's in Civil Eng (6.2)
10-89%
12-92%

GMAT-700

I have work experience of 2.5 yrs in designing various structures(Buildings & Bridges) in the Middle East & India (Coordinating with architects & site issues )
Good amount of Extra circular activities.

I'm planning to move to consulting, finance or energy sectors.

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 447
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 04:25
shruti.shambhavi wrote:
Indian, Female, 23 years old
Work Experience: 3 years, will be 4 years by the time I join. Working in the marketing department of a top Real Estate company in the country.
Undergrad: Bachelor of Business Administration, Christ University
(Christ University was ranked No. 1 for the BBA program as per India Today for the entire duration of my BBA course)
GMAT: 600, Q-35, V-38. Preparing for another attempt, targeting 700+.
GPA: 3.66/4, among the Top 3 in a class of 72, received a merit based scholarship for the same

Work Experience:
1. Was initially a part of the Strategy team in the company for the first six months and moved to the Marketing team post that
2. As a part of the Marketing team I was the only resource for a six month duration which gave me exposure to all aspects of Marketing in a Real Estate firm very early on. I
successfully executed launch campaigns for various projects, independently.
3. Initiated brand tie-ups for our residential projects which was a first. These tie-ups were with global brands in the healthcare and lifestyle sector which contributed to
successful launches and eventually became the norm for all our projects.
4. Have been promoted within two years, due for another promotion in April 2019.

Extra-curriculars:
1. National Level Swimmer
2. Presented a marketing research paper during college
3. Regular volunteer at an NGO which involved improving the lives of the children with special needs
4. Represented my university for many Parliamentary debates at fests
5. Was a member of the Core Commitee which is involved in organizing fests and events in college
6. Genuinely enjoy emceeing - have done so for many formal events in college

Considering my profile what would be the minimum GMAT score I would need to target to get an interview call at ISB?


Hello shruti.shambhavi,

Thanks for your query.

Definitely, there is a lot working for you - fine academic performance, good extra-curriculars (especially the fact that you are a national level swimmer), and decent professional progress.
That said, a lot definitely depends on the GMAT score and you must look upwards of a 700. However, the GMAT is only one component of the process and your chances will also depend on the essays you put forth and how you present your candidature, complete with a set of career goals that sync in with your existing profile.

In light of the above, we recommend that your watch the following video to familiarise yourself with the broad approach to keep in mind while working on your essays :-)



A strong set of essays coupled with a GMAT score upwards of 700 will give you a strong chance at cracking ISB!

All the best!
_________________

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2018
Posts: 1
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 19:56
Dear Senior members,

Please evaluate my profile.

I am 34 year Mechanical Engineer.

10th- 78.5% Andhra Pradesh State board - 1999

Pursued Diploma in Mechanical Engineering - 78% from Government Polytechnic College -2002

Worked in 2 private power plants on my diploma.

Got selected in a nuclear power plant and currently working.(2006-Present)

During my service in nuclear power plant I pursued my graduation (B-tech in Mechanical Engineering) in distance mode. But from good university (JNTU, Hyderabad). 69.8% in B-tech


In my 12 years of experience in Nuclear power plant, I have got a chance to involve and execute top class engineering works.

Promoted to Officer grade and I would like to pursue MBA now for broadening my knowledge, changing my domain (if possible to capital markets etc).

What are my chances of getting elected in ISB or any good IIMs, if I get a good score in GMAT. I am ready to work hard to get good score.

What are my chances of landing a good job post-MBA, with my average academics(these were good when I studied, over time they got worsened in comparison) & undergraduation with distance mode.

Many thanks.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 539
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 05:02
1
Hello krishnasri

Your chances of admission and subsequently a job will highly depend on specific career goals, something you have touched upon but in a very broad and vague sense. See if reading here helps.
A major career switch may be difficult for most people with over 10 years of work ex. This is a thumb rule though, much needs to be understood about your past profile and future plans.
You will be an outlier at ISB in terms of work ex and that means showcasing above average career progress, achievements and business impact.
Lack of strong extracurricular activities can hurt as well, as these help showcase diversity. Read here to know a list of all the factors crucial for a successful written application. You industry can potentially help you stand out too.
Based on the generic info the suggested GMAT score will be generic too. Stay above the mean of the class to be in the safe zone (AKA 720+)

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


krishnasri wrote:
Dear Senior members,

Please evaluate my profile.

I am 34 year Mechanical Engineer.

10th- 78.5% Andhra Pradesh State board - 1999

Pursued Diploma in Mechanical Engineering - 78% from Government Polytechnic College -2002

Worked in 2 private power plants on my diploma.

Got selected in a nuclear power plant and currently working.(2006-Present)

During my service in nuclear power plant I pursued my graduation (B-tech in Mechanical Engineering) in distance mode. But from good university (JNTU, Hyderabad). 69.8% in B-tech


In my 12 years of experience in Nuclear power plant, I have got a chance to involve and execute top class engineering works.

Promoted to Officer grade and I would like to pursue MBA now for broadening my knowledge, changing my domain (if possible to capital markets etc).

What are my chances of getting elected in ISB or any good IIMs, if I get a good score in GMAT. I am ready to work hard to get good score.

What are my chances of landing a good job post-MBA, with my average academics(these were good when I studied, over time they got worsened in comparison) & undergraduation with distance mode.

Many thanks.

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 447
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 06:30
guest1708 wrote:
hi,

please review my profile for ISB

I have a master's degree in Structural Engineering(Civil) from BITS Pilani(8.7 GPA)
Bachelor's in Civil Eng (6.2)
10-89%
12-92%

GMAT-700

I have work experience of 2.5 yrs in designing various structures(Buildings & Bridges) in the Middle East & India (Coordinating with architects & site issues )
Good amount of Extra circular activities.

I'm planning to move to consulting, finance or energy sectors.


Hi guest1708,

Thanks for your query.

The international experience and strong pedigree will definitely be plus points.

Having said the above, a GMAT retake may be quite worth the effort as a 700 on the GMAT is just under the ISB average and a better score will definitely help boost your chances :-) That said, the GMAT is only one element of the process and you also need to focus on portraying your achievements, skill-set, diversity, and career goals through a set of well-drafted essays. We recommend you view the video below as the same will help your present your profile in an appropriate way.



Should you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Thanks!
_________________

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 447
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 03:27
sahuiitd wrote:
Hello Every one:

Here is my Profile:

X:84.4 % (CBSE)
XII: 80 % (CBSE)
B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Uttar Pradesh Technical University (JSS)-78.18 %
M.Tech in Design Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)-7.81/10 CGPA
No Gap in Stuides.

Current Profile:Senior Project Engineer in Shapoorji Pallonji Oil & Gas BU (AFCONS) for Offshore Oil & Gas EPC Projects as Project Engineer and Project Management Professional with over 4+ years of experience in role for Project Management, Operations and Execution of EPC projects. Synposis as mentioned below:

" Project Engineer and Project Management Professional with over 4+ years of experience in role for Project Management of EPC projects. Successfully completed EPC project of ONGC-HRD Process Platform (Green field, Process Platform), Mumbai High, India of USD 250 million and currently working on ONGC/EIL-LEWPP1 & LEWPP2 project (Revamp field, Complete Topside Revamp of 43 wellhead platforms) of combined USD 320 million. Performed responsibilities starting from EPC Project initiation and planning such as proposals, bid-engineering (support to estimation and bidding teams), pre-engineering survey, detail engineering coordination, technical assistance to procurement, modular yard fabrication to execution, commissioning life cycle of offshore oil and gas projects including engineering management, interface management, vendor engineering management and control, project activities monitoring and overall coordination with site teams for EPC Projects with major roles as “Sr. Project Engineer”, “Sr. Project Engineering coordinator”."


Extra Curricular/Achievement : Trekking of different places and alreday completed National Level Trekking program with YHAI for 10 days trekking with certificate holder, Marathon running completed with 5k, 10k kms. Alreday in Process of obtaining PMP Project certification(International certificate for Project Managemnet Professional). Received M.H.R.D. Scholarship (2012-2014) for academic performance for securing 99.96 percentile in GATE-2012. Winner of Volleyball Tournament at college level

Target GMAT score:740


Post MBA Goals: Startegy managment and Project managment professional in Finance for Infrastructure/Renewable Energy EPC Projects

Kindly let me know about my profile.


Hello sahuiitd,

Apologies for the delay in response but we hope this will be of help to you still.

You have a promising overall profile and if you are able to achieve your target GMAT score, as well as put forth a set of essays that portray your achievements and skills in an appropriate manner, you have a very good chance at making it to ISB!

We highly recommend that you watch the following video as the same will help you with a robust approach towards essays writing. Do reach out to us in case you have any queries.



All the best! :-)
_________________

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 10
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 11:32
I have been working with ONGC Petro additions Ltd. for the past two years (out of five years of total experience) as an Instrumentation Engineer primarily looking after Process Automation, leading a team of junior engineers and technicians. My job requires a fair share of managerial work such as Manpower Management, Inventory Control & Material Management, and Budgeting. I have spearheaded various cost-saving initiatives for which I have been recognized. I was engaged with India Glycols Ltd. prior to my engagement with ONGC.I lead the Automation division, working on exciting endeavours such as Make in India Greenfield Projects (I was the youngest in the company's history to lead a division at such a junior post). I trained not only juniors but also colleagues who were at a higher designation than I. When my company faced financial hurdles in 2015, it appointed AT Kearney for a profitability improvement programme of which I was an integral part. It was this involvement in the Project which drew me towards consulting, I loved solving problems, making systems more efficient and improving profitability. I like my job, I like the opportunity it provides to debottleneck. This, however,is an occasional affair.I like solving problems within the industry, problems that truly affect a company. Therefore, my short-term goals include working with any of the top consulting firms such as Deloitte, AT Kearney, BCG, Bain, and others. I need an MBA to develop a broader understanding of the business so that I can offer better solutions, 360-degree solutions. Back in college, I worked for two years with Indian Youth Climate Network, an NGO which collaborated with 350.org to push for a better climate deal during UNFCCC negotiations ( Copenhagen 2009 and Cancun 2010, I was thoroughly involved). I was the Media Coordinator for the organization and also the editor of their monthly newsletter. During the same time, I used to do theatre mostly for social awakening, working with NGOs such as STEP and theatre groups such as Jazba Theatre group, Desh Bandhu College, Delhi University. In 2012, I along with my friends co-founded an e-commerce start-up called healthee.in which sold fitness products online. I handled and the Social Media Mangement and Supply Chain domain before we closed operations a few years later.

I would be glad if you could evaluate my profile for schools such as ISB and IIMs.
My GMAT score is 700(q48,v38)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2015
Posts: 8
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.42
WE: Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation for ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 10:37
2
Hi all,

I am a mechanical engineering graduate with a GPA of 7.66 from Amrita University.
10th and 12th percentages are 86.4% and 80.8% respectively (CBSE Board).

3 years of experience in Marketing, branding and corporate strategy at L&T.
Later on, I went on to do the Teach for India fellowship. During the fellowship, I started a project which later turned into a non profit organization that builds life-skills among kids through Ultimate Frisbee. I also worked extensively to build gender equality in the community through theater.
Currently working as a writer in a US based education firm for the last 4 months. The firm caters to children from low-income communities in Africa, India and China.

I am planning to take my GMAT next month.
How much should I aim for if my target school is ISB?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 22:28
A score of 700+ should be sufficient. But again, the chances of your interview invite depend on your overall application (post-MBA goals, leadership experience in your job etc).
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 539
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 01:31
Hello sashankvissa

You have a unique profile in terms of work experience. That can become your strength. However, you will also need to work on all the factors mentioned here and highlight these in your written application.
In addition, you need a clear career goals narrative (missing in your post) that fits your profile as well as the profile of the school. You may read here to add to your research.
If you can tie in your past profile along with clear career goals, then in that case a 710+ will put you in a very competitive position.
Talking about the work experience/goals in isolation will not help, same way estimating a 'safe' GMAT in isolation does not work either.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


sashankvissa wrote:
Hi all,

I am a mechanical engineering graduate with a GPA of 7.66 from Amrita University.
10th and 12th percentages are 86.4% and 80.8% respectively (CBSE Board).

3 years of experience in Marketing, branding and corporate strategy at L&T.
Later on, I went on to do the Teach for India fellowship. During the fellowship, I started a project which later turned into a non profit organization that builds life-skills among kids through Ultimate Frisbee. I also worked extensively to build gender equality in the community through theater.
Currently working as a writer in a US based education firm for the last 4 months. The firm caters to children from low-income communities in Africa, India and China.

I am planning to take my GMAT next month.
How much should I aim for if my target school is ISB?

Thanks in advance!

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 378
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 09:40
sashankvissa,

Topics merged. Please check the forum before creating a new post.

-- Mod Nightblade
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1440
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 01:48
sashankvissa wrote:
Hi all,

I am a mechanical engineering graduate with a GPA of 7.66 from Amrita University.
10th and 12th percentages are 86.4% and 80.8% respectively (CBSE Board).

3 years of experience in Marketing, branding and corporate strategy at L&T.
Later on, I went on to do the Teach for India fellowship. During the fellowship, I started a project which later turned into a non profit organization that builds life-skills among kids through Ultimate Frisbee. I also worked extensively to build gender equality in the community through theater.
Currently working as a writer in a US based education firm for the last 4 months. The firm caters to children from low-income communities in Africa, India and China.

I am planning to take my GMAT next month.
How much should I aim for if my target school is ISB?

Thanks in advance!



Hi,

While your profile looks good to me, I'd like to explore the purpose for an MBA and the career goals after MBA.
Teach for India is well respected among the b-school adcoms, so you will have some advantage there. However, you should weave it all into a coherent story that explains your past career choices as well as the career path forward.
a 700+ GMAT is always beneficial. Aim for that.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1440
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 01:55
vinayakvaish wrote:
I have been working with ONGC Petro additions Ltd. for the past two years (out of five years of total experience) as an Instrumentation Engineer primarily looking after Process Automation, leading a team of junior engineers and technicians. My job requires a fair share of managerial work such as Manpower Management, Inventory Control & Material Management, and Budgeting. I have spearheaded various cost-saving initiatives for which I have been recognized. I was engaged with India Glycols Ltd. prior to my engagement with ONGC.I lead the Automation division, working on exciting endeavours such as Make in India Greenfield Projects (I was the youngest in the company's history to lead a division at such a junior post). I trained not only juniors but also colleagues who were at a higher designation than I. When my company faced financial hurdles in 2015, it appointed AT Kearney for a profitability improvement programme of which I was an integral part. It was this involvement in the Project which drew me towards consulting, I loved solving problems, making systems more efficient and improving profitability. I like my job, I like the opportunity it provides to debottleneck. This, however,is an occasional affair.I like solving problems within the industry, problems that truly affect a company. Therefore, my short-term goals include working with any of the top consulting firms such as Deloitte, AT Kearney, BCG, Bain, and others. I need an MBA to develop a broader understanding of the business so that I can offer better solutions, 360-degree solutions. Back in college, I worked for two years with Indian Youth Climate Network, an NGO which collaborated with 350.org to push for a better climate deal during UNFCCC negotiations ( Copenhagen 2009 and Cancun 2010, I was thoroughly involved). I was the Media Coordinator for the organization and also the editor of their monthly newsletter. During the same time, I used to do theatre mostly for social awakening, working with NGOs such as STEP and theatre groups such as Jazba Theatre group, Desh Bandhu College, Delhi University. In 2012, I along with my friends co-founded an e-commerce start-up called healthee.in which sold fitness products online. I handled and the Social Media Mangement and Supply Chain domain before we closed operations a few years later.

I would be glad if you could evaluate my profile for schools such as ISB and IIMs.
My GMAT score is 700(q48,v38)

Posted from my mobile device


Your post felt like reading the first draft of your essay :)

You have a good profile. You seem to have some good experiences that will help you build a compelling story. However, the competition is steep for you Although not as many as the software engineers, but still a reasonable number of people apply to ISB with your kind of background. Thus submitting a stellar application based on your strengths and achievements will be crucial for an interview invite.

Feel free to reach out should you wish to work with a consultant on your application.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 447
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 05:05
sashankvissa wrote:
Hi all,

I am a mechanical engineering graduate with a GPA of 7.66 from Amrita University.
10th and 12th percentages are 86.4% and 80.8% respectively (CBSE Board).

3 years of experience in Marketing, branding and corporate strategy at L&T.
Later on, I went on to do the Teach for India fellowship. During the fellowship, I started a project which later turned into a non profit organization that builds life-skills among kids through Ultimate Frisbee. I also worked extensively to build gender equality in the community through theater.
Currently working as a writer in a US based education firm for the last 4 months. The firm caters to children from low-income communities in Africa, India and China.

I am planning to take my GMAT next month.
How much should I aim for if my target school is ISB?

Thanks in advance!


Hi sashankvissa,

You definitely have a diverse profile with a number of points that stand out - Teach for India experience, international exposure, and general diversity in profile. A 700+ should be good enough.
However, a lot will also depend on the career goals you portray and the essays you draft. We believe that the following video may be useful in this regard and request you to view the same.



All the best! :-)
_________________

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 05:05

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  106   107   108   109   110   111   112   [ 2239 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.