It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1354

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 01:22
Top Contributor
shashanksagar wrote:
Hi Guys.

Good Day.

I completed my GMAT exam yesterday (11th Aug 2016) and scored a 720 (Q50 V37).
I request you to review my profile and let me know what all colleges should I approach and do I stand a chance at ISB.

Here's my profile :

GMAT 720
10th 84%
12th 77%
B.tech(Computer Science) 7.5

Work exp: Will complete 5 years next month in IT industry as well as in TCS. I have 1.5 years of onsite exp of working as an IT Consultant in Johannesburg.
In these 5 years I started as a team member, then became the module lead at 1.5 years (team of 4) ,
then went to onsite at 2.5 years acting as IT consultant and leading the small team of 3,
and then I came back to India in Feb 2016 and since I am leading a team of nearly 30 associates.

Extra Curri: I have won few Inter College national level cultural events in my college.
Apart from that I love music and movies and I have done a lot adventure activities such as
Scuba diving, Bunjee Jumping, etc (not sure if it helps).

please let me know if I stand a chance and what should I improve in this one or two month period.


Hi Shashank

Nice profile there, with a 720 and some foreign experience as well. Sets you up nicely. Some thoughts to consider on your profile:
- Your work experience puts you in the IT service applicant category, but the Johannesburg stint helps in terms of differentiating you. Be sure to focus on the experience there in your apps. The fact that you went from leading a team of 3 to leading a team of 30 is very significant as well and a noteworthy achievement. Do shed more light on your experience too - what was your core work about within IT?
- ECA is decent. The activities you mention do help if leveraged right in the apps.
- In terms of schools, ISB is a very good bet. Look at IIMB and IIMC as well.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2016
Posts: 103

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 03:42
GyanOne wrote:
shashanksagar wrote:
Hi Guys.

Good Day.

I completed my GMAT exam yesterday (11th Aug 2016) and scored a 720 (Q50 V37).
I request you to review my profile and let me know what all colleges should I approach and do I stand a chance at ISB.

Here's my profile :

GMAT 720
10th 84%
12th 77%
B.tech(Computer Science) 7.5

Work exp: Will complete 5 years next month in IT industry as well as in TCS. I have 1.5 years of onsite exp of working as an IT Consultant in Johannesburg.
In these 5 years I started as a team member, then became the module lead at 1.5 years (team of 4) ,
then went to onsite at 2.5 years acting as IT consultant and leading the small team of 3,
and then I came back to India in Feb 2016 and since I am leading a team of nearly 30 associates.

Extra Curri: I have won few Inter College national level cultural events in my college.
Apart from that I love music and movies and I have done a lot adventure activities such as
Scuba diving, Bunjee Jumping, etc (not sure if it helps).

please let me know if I stand a chance and what should I improve in this one or two month period.


Hi Shashank

Nice profile there, with a 720 and some foreign experience as well. Sets you up nicely. Some thoughts to consider on your profile:
- Your work experience puts you in the IT service applicant category, but the Johannesburg stint helps in terms of differentiating you. Be sure to focus on the experience there in your apps. The fact that you went from leading a team of 3 to leading a team of 30 is very significant as well and a noteworthy achievement. Do shed more light on your experience too - what was your core work about within IT?
- ECA is decent. The activities you mention do help if leveraged right in the apps.
- In terms of schools, ISB is a very good bet. Look at IIMB and IIMC as well.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.



Hi GyanOne,

Thanks a ton for the assessment and positive remarks. That helps a lot.
I'll surely apply for IIM B and C as well. Lets hope for the best. I was also looking out for SP Jain.

Also if you can guide me towards professionals in Mumbai who can sincerely help me with my college application, that will be of great help.

regards.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1354

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 04:56
Top Contributor
Quote:
Hi GyanOne,

Thanks a ton for the assessment and positive remarks. That helps a lot.


You are most welcome.

Quote:
I'll surely apply for IIM B and C as well. Lets hope for the best. I was also looking out for SP Jain.


IIMB and IIMC sound good, but the last date for the SP Jain PGPM is 2 days away (15 Aug). You may like to look at the XLRI GMP as an alternative.

Quote:
Also if you can guide me towards professionals in Mumbai who can sincerely help me with my college application, that will be of great help.

You could get in touch with us directly as needed.

regards.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 48

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Location: India
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 08:10
Hi,

I am 28 years Male with a work experience of 7 years in Power Sector. I am interested in applying to ISB, IIMs.

Here is my profile:

Academics


10th : 72.8%
12th : 78.2%

Graduation : IIT Delhi (2009)
CGPA : 7.48 (Production and Industrial Engineering)

GMAT : 680 (Q50, V31, IR-7, AWA - 4.5)

Work Experience : 7 years as on 31st July'16

Company : Maharatna (PSU) - Power Sector

Marketing : 1.5 years
Project Management : 3.5 years

Project Management for two Thermal power plants (Project Worth 200-500Cr).

Two units successfully synchronised to Grid and added to National Generation Capacity.

Undergone two Training/Certification Programs on Project Management

Production : 2 years

Lead a team of 60 persons with five supervisors directly reporting to me. Played a significant role in achieving Turnover of 100Cr for 2 consecutive years.

Undergone Training/Certification program on ISO and OHSAS systems. Helped me in developing holistic picture of production in terms of Quality management, Occupational Health and Safety, and Environmental Systems.

Hobbies
Badminton, Table Tennis, Jogging

Extra Curricular Activities

Organised Events in College Festivals.
Participated in Badminton, Table Tennis events at College Level and Company level (Though no awards won)

Long Term Goals

With a significant experience in Power Sector and good domain knowledge, I have a vision for the Power Sector.


Kindly help me understand how well I am placed for applying to ISB and IIMs.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 14:31
Hi
Can an Indian student get admission in USA for mba with a score under 400 ?
If yes then which all colleges can I apply for?
I have 15 year education
1 year work experience and will continue with another year of work experience
Great background in extra curricular activities
Held the post of President and vice president in college.

Not aiming for a top b-school but a decent b-school preferably in NY
Also, my father is a citizen of USA although I haven't got mine untill now but have already applied for the same, don't think I can get it by fall 2017 so I'll have to apply as an Indian Candidate.
Thankyou

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

NTU Nanyang Thread Master
User avatar
B
Status: It`s Just a pirates life !
Joined: 21 Mar 2014
Posts: 235

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 246

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 22:51
Hi

I am an ISB aspirant for the class of 2018.

Kindly find my profile below and let me know
1. What are my chances?
2. Anything else which I should focus on and Improve?

Academic Credentials:
X (tenth standard) - 88%
XII - 97%
B.E (manufacturing Engg) - 9.02 (CGPA)
GMAT - 690 (Q48 V36 IR 4 AWA - pending) - Do I need to improve on this?

Work experience:

Worked in a manufactuing MNC- rubber and tyre machinery unit (manufacturing Unit) - 20 months
1. Green field factory
2. Involved in the commissioning and tuning of complex CNC machines
and robots.
3. Moved on to supply chain. Worked as a procurement executive. Dealt
and improved various aspects like cost cutting, negotiation, contract closage
with more than 100 national and international level suppliers
4. Handled fabrication and machine shop (more than 20 members)

Worked in an educational based startup - 5 months
1. Developed online course creation policy
2. Developed and frameworked learners studying pattern
3. Data analytics on learners pattern of study

Got interested in Consulting. Since Data is the key today, joined a full time
6 month program offered by IBM on data analytics.

PGCBA (post graduate certification in Business Analytics) - 9.5 (CGPA)

Got an offer from a Global Manufacturing/Automotive MNC as a "Data scientist"
1. Currently working on supply chain/manufacturing analytics
2. Working on Internet of Things (IOT) and Big data
3. creating regression models and developing BI solutions to various clients.

Extracurricular : Active sports person in my school level, Quiz, Drama , Running
a blog for explaining concepts in an easier way.

Total Work Experience as on March 31,2017 - 42 months

What I want to become:
1. I enjoy solving problems of clients and providing solutions in a understandable way
2. This predominantly drills down to the area of "Consulting"
3. Consulting and Data are complimentary. Considering this has my strength

Thanks
Karthick
_________________

Aiming for a 3 digit number with 7 as hundredths Digit

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 246

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1354

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 00:43
Top Contributor
sonalikapoor wrote:
Hi
Can an Indian student get admission in USA for mba with a score under 400 ?
If yes then which all colleges can I apply for?
I have 15 year education
1 year work experience and will continue with another year of work experience
Great background in extra curricular activities
Held the post of President and vice president in college.

Not aiming for a top b-school but a decent b-school preferably in NY
Also, my father is a citizen of USA although I haven't got mine untill now but have already applied for the same, don't think I can get it by fall 2017 so I'll have to apply as an Indian Candidate.
Thankyou

Posted from my mobile device


Hi Sonali

Though this is not an ISB-related query, responding very briefly here to help:

Below 400 on the GMAT may be a little too low to aspire for any options worth considering. The rest of your profile is quite decent, so try and increase that score to somewhere closer to 600, if not above it. That will help you get a shot at schools of much better stature.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1354

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 00:48
Top Contributor
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
Hi,

I am 28 years Male with a work experience of 7 years in Power Sector. I am interested in applying to ISB, IIMs.

Here is my profile:

Academics


10th : 72.8%
12th : 78.2%

Graduation : IIT Delhi (2009)
CGPA : 7.48 (Production and Industrial Engineering)

GMAT : 680 (Q50, V31, IR-7, AWA - 4.5)

Work Experience : 7 years as on 31st July'16

Company : Maharatna (PSU) - Power Sector

Marketing : 1.5 years
Project Management : 3.5 years

Project Management for two Thermal power plants (Project Worth 200-500Cr).

Two units successfully synchronised to Grid and added to National Generation Capacity.

Undergone two Training/Certification Programs on Project Management

Production : 2 years

Lead a team of 60 persons with five supervisors directly reporting to me. Played a significant role in achieving Turnover of 100Cr for 2 consecutive years.

Undergone Training/Certification program on ISO and OHSAS systems. Helped me in developing holistic picture of production in terms of Quality management, Occupational Health and Safety, and Environmental Systems.

Hobbies
Badminton, Table Tennis, Jogging

Extra Curricular Activities

Organised Events in College Festivals.
Participated in Badminton, Table Tennis events at College Level and Company level (Though no awards won)

Long Term Goals

With a significant experience in Power Sector and good domain knowledge, I have a vision for the Power Sector.


Kindly help me understand how well I am placed for applying to ISB and IIMs.

Thanks


Hi Sahil

- Decent academics and work profile. The IIT tag really helps.
- Though your GMAT is not outstanding, and raising it a bit could help, would suggest that you focus now on your apps. You have a great chance of getting through even with your current score. The PSU experience can be a great asset as well if leveraged well in your essays.
- ECA are decent and will add to your application. You don't need awards for everything - involvement is ok as well.

Overall, well set. Go ahead with the app.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

NTU Nanyang Thread Master
User avatar
B
Status: It`s Just a pirates life !
Joined: 21 Mar 2014
Posts: 235

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 246

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 02:45
Hi

I am an ISB aspirant for the class of 2018.

Kindly find my profile below and let me know
1. What are my chances?
2. Anything else which I should focus on and Improve?

Academic Credentials:
X (tenth standard) - 88%
XII - 97%
B.E (manufacturing Engg) - 9.02 (CGPA)
GMAT - 690 (Q49 V36 IR 4 AWA - pending) - Do I need to improve on this?

Work experience:

Worked in a manufactuing MNC- rubber and tyre machinery unit (manufacturing Unit) - 20 months
1. Green field factory
2. Involved in the commissioning and tuning of complex CNC machines
and robots.
3. Moved on to supply chain. Worked as a procurement executive. Dealt
and improved various aspects like cost cutting, negotiation, contract closage
with more than 100 national and international level suppliers
4. Handled fabrication and machine shop (more than 20 members)

Worked in an educational based startup - 5 months
1. Developed online course creation policy
2. Developed and frameworked learners studying pattern
3. Data analytics on learners pattern of study

Got interested in Consulting. Since Data is the key today, joined a full time
6 month program offered by IBM on data analytics.

PGCBA (post graduate certification in Business Analytics) - 9.5 (CGPA)

Got an offer from a Global Manufacturing/Automotive MNC as a "Data scientist"
1. Currently working on supply chain/manufacturing analytics
2. Working on Internet of Things (IOT) and Big data
3. creating regression models and developing BI solutions to various clients.

Extracurricular : Active sports person in my school level, Quiz, Drama , Running
a blog for explaining concepts in an easier way.

Total Work Experience as on March 31,2017 - 42 months

What I want to become:
1. I enjoy solving problems of clients and providing solutions in a understandable way
2. This predominantly drills down to the area of "Consulting"
3. Consulting and Data are complimentary. Considering this has my strength

Thanks
Karthick
_________________

Aiming for a 3 digit number with 7 as hundredths Digit

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 246

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 987

Kudos [?]: 156 [1], given: 52

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 04:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Balajikarthick1990 wrote:
Hi

I am an ISB aspirant for the class of 2018.

Kindly find my profile below and let me know
1. What are my chances?
2. Anything else which I should focus on and Improve?


Thanks
Karthick


Hi Karthick,

I think you have an interesting profile. Although your GMAT is pretty low, the rest of your academics are pretty solid.
Go ahead and apply with this score and submit a great application.

The only thing you can improve at this stage s your GMAT score, if you are up for another test.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE


Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 156 [1], given: 52

NTU Nanyang Thread Master
User avatar
B
Status: It`s Just a pirates life !
Joined: 21 Mar 2014
Posts: 235

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 246

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 05:20
MBADecoder wrote:
Balajikarthick1990 wrote:
Hi

I am an ISB aspirant for the class of 2018.

Kindly find my profile below and let me know
1. What are my chances?
2. Anything else which I should focus on and Improve?


Thanks
Karthick


Hi Karthick,

I think you have an interesting profile. Although your GMAT is pretty low, the rest of your academics are pretty solid.
Go ahead and apply with this score and submit a great application.

The only thing you can improve at this stage s your GMAT score, if you are up for another test.


Hi Thank you..I am planning to give my GMAT in 15 days time. Could you tell me the optimal score I need so that I can focus.

Cheers
Balaji
_________________

Aiming for a 3 digit number with 7 as hundredths Digit

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 246

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 987

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 09:29
Balajikarthick1990 wrote:


Hi Thank you..I am planning to give my GMAT in 15 days time. Could you tell me the optimal score I need so that I can focus.

Cheers
Balaji


Hi Balaji Karthick,

Its good to score above the class average. For ISB, that is 706. There is no optimum score really, but as they say, sky is the limit.

Eventually admission chances depend upon the quality of the entire application and your interview, never just on the GMAT score (690 or 760).
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE


Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Apr 2016
Posts: 100

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 20:13
I had a question about recommendation letters.

About me: 5 yrs of work ex. 2.5 years in a start up research firm. 2.5 years in India's leading ad agency.

I have three options to choose from:

1. My current boss - a Vice-president with the company - I have reported in to him since the last 2+ years. He is a very good writer and can speak a lot of good about me.

2. The national head of the company (senior most person in the department)- he is also part of the global board of directors. I have interacted with him on multiple occasions and have received praise from him for my work in the past. Though he will be more than willing to write me a recommendation I am sure won't be able to highlight my positives as much as my boss can.

3. My ex boss - the owner of a successful start up. She's my first boss, we worked very closely on many projects, in a way I was integral to the growth of certain accounts that we handled, and we are still at extremely good terms. As my current boss can, she can also write a lot of good about me.

My dilemma: Given the choice to choose from the 3 options, whose letters should I prioritise?

The national head - a renowned and popular personality in the industry (also an IIM A grad)
My ex boss - a businesswoman and the owner of a startup that has strengthened its position in the research industry in the last few years

Or

My current boss - An excellent writer, can talk a lot of good about me, but is probably not as popular as the other two.

Also, is there any one single letter format that is applicable for all schools?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1354

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 22:49
Top Contributor
ameyaprabhu wrote:
I had a question about recommendation letters.

About me: 5 yrs of work ex. 2.5 years in a start up research firm. 2.5 years in India's leading ad agency.

I have three options to choose from:

1. My current boss - a Vice-president with the company - I have reported in to him since the last 2+ years. He is a very good writer and can speak a lot of good about me.

2. The national head of the company (senior most person in the department)- he is also part of the global board of directors. I have interacted with him on multiple occasions and have received praise from him for my work in the past. Though he will be more than willing to write me a recommendation I am sure won't be able to highlight my positives as much as my boss can.

3. My ex boss - the owner of a successful start up. She's my first boss, we worked very closely on many projects, in a way I was integral to the growth of certain accounts that we handled, and we are still at extremely good terms. As my current boss can, she can also write a lot of good about me.

My dilemma: Given the choice to choose from the 3 options, whose letters should I prioritise?

The national head - a renowned and popular personality in the industry (also an IIM A grad)
My ex boss - a businesswoman and the owner of a startup that has strengthened its position in the research industry in the last few years

Or

My current boss - An excellent writer, can talk a lot of good about me, but is probably not as popular as the other two.

Also, is there any one single letter format that is applicable for all schools?


Hi ameyaprabhu,

ISB requires one letter of recommendation. Given the scenario you have described, we feel you should go for your current boss. As your current manager, he would have excellent insight into your work, and is also a strong writer. Please note that the strength of a letter of recommendation depends on the insight that the writer has into your work, and his/her willingness to support and recommend you. For this reason, the first choice is the best.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Apr 2016
Posts: 100

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 00:22
Thanks GyanOne, but what about colleges that require (or let you submit) more than 1 recommendation?

Whom should I opt for?

My ex boss or the country head?

GyanOne wrote:
ameyaprabhu wrote:
I had a question about recommendation letters.

About me: 5 yrs of work ex. 2.5 years in a start up research firm. 2.5 years in India's leading ad agency.

I have three options to choose from:

1. My current boss - a Vice-president with the company - I have reported in to him since the last 2+ years. He is a very good writer and can speak a lot of good about me.

2. The national head of the company (senior most person in the department)- he is also part of the global board of directors. I have interacted with him on multiple occasions and have received praise from him for my work in the past. Though he will be more than willing to write me a recommendation I am sure won't be able to highlight my positives as much as my boss can.

3. My ex boss - the owner of a successful start up. She's my first boss, we worked very closely on many projects, in a way I was integral to the growth of certain accounts that we handled, and we are still at extremely good terms. As my current boss can, she can also write a lot of good about me.

My dilemma: Given the choice to choose from the 3 options, whose letters should I prioritise?

The national head - a renowned and popular personality in the industry (also an IIM A grad)
My ex boss - a businesswoman and the owner of a startup that has strengthened its position in the research industry in the last few years

Or

My current boss - An excellent writer, can talk a lot of good about me, but is probably not as popular as the other two.

Also, is there any one single letter format that is applicable for all schools?


Hi ameyaprabhu,

ISB requires one letter of recommendation. Given the scenario you have described, we feel you should go for your current boss. As your current manager, he would have excellent insight into your work, and is also a strong writer. Please note that the strength of a letter of recommendation depends on the insight that the writer has into your work, and his/her willingness to support and recommend you. For this reason, the first choice is the best.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1354

Kudos [?]: 651 [1], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 00:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
ameyaprabhu wrote:
Thanks GyanOne, but what about colleges that require (or let you submit) more than 1 recommendation?

Whom should I opt for?

My ex boss or the country head?

GyanOne wrote:
ameyaprabhu wrote:
I had a question about recommendation letters.

About me: 5 yrs of work ex. 2.5 years in a start up research firm. 2.5 years in India's leading ad agency.

I have three options to choose from:

1. My current boss - a Vice-president with the company - I have reported in to him since the last 2+ years. He is a very good writer and can speak a lot of good about me.

2. The national head of the company (senior most person in the department)- he is also part of the global board of directors. I have interacted with him on multiple occasions and have received praise from him for my work in the past. Though he will be more than willing to write me a recommendation I am sure won't be able to highlight my positives as much as my boss can.

3. My ex boss - the owner of a successful start up. She's my first boss, we worked very closely on many projects, in a way I was integral to the growth of certain accounts that we handled, and we are still at extremely good terms. As my current boss can, she can also write a lot of good about me.

My dilemma: Given the choice to choose from the 3 options, whose letters should I prioritise?

The national head - a renowned and popular personality in the industry (also an IIM A grad)
My ex boss - a businesswoman and the owner of a startup that has strengthened its position in the research industry in the last few years

Or

My current boss - An excellent writer, can talk a lot of good about me, but is probably not as popular as the other two.

Also, is there any one single letter format that is applicable for all schools?


Hi ameyaprabhu,

ISB requires one letter of recommendation. Given the scenario you have described, we feel you should go for your current boss. As your current manager, he would have excellent insight into your work, and is also a strong writer. Please note that the strength of a letter of recommendation depends on the insight that the writer has into your work, and his/her willingness to support and recommend you. For this reason, the first choice is the best.


In that case, possibly go for your National Head, as he can provide a different perspective on your contribution to the organization. Your boss's reco would anyway include more day-to-day achievements, and your ex-boss's reco could end up being very similar without necessarily adding new dimensions.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [1], given: 20

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 987

Kudos [?]: 156 [1], given: 52

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 03:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ameyaprabhu wrote:
Thanks GyanOne, but what about colleges that require (or let you submit) more than 1 recommendation?

Whom should I opt for?

My ex boss or the country head?



Hi Ameya,

I will also add my perspective here- you can use all three people as recommenders.

In all scenarios, definitely use your current boss, because he also satisfies every b-school's criterion for submitting a reco from a supervisor.

If you are applying to 5+ schools, you may want to have two other people to fall back upon, as writing those many recommendations is a burden on one guy. Specially if he is in a senior position. Secondly, you may decide to use a person who can speak to your entrepreneurial mindset and related qualities. The lady entrepreneur may add some interesting insights on that front, which the other two guys may not be able to add.

That said, use the entrepreneur boss only if you worked with her within the past 3 years. Any anecdotes before that will be a little outdated

Edit: Adding another scenario: use the people who will best attest to the qualities needed in your future career goals, or atleast ask these people to write about those qualities
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE


Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 156 [1], given: 52

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2014
Posts: 21

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Location: India
Schools: XLRI GM"18 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.83
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 08:39
Hello everybody,

My profile as follows

10th- 92 %
12th- 88%

B.Tech- CGPA 5.9/10 (Mumbai university)

Work ex- 6 years with a leading manufacturing company split into

1 yr- Quality assurance- Won an award on national level for my project
3 yrs- Logistics, production planning
2 yrs (Present function)- Commercial counterpart for R&D projects which includes product costing, project budgeting, cost
controlling etc.

International exp- Well, being in manufacturing setup, on-site work is absent. However, in my current function, I work primarily with international colleagues, I am not very sure whether this can be counted as international exp.


Extra currics- Pretty ordinary-

Request the seniors to comment on my profile standing a chance for ISB, IIM B, IIM C, IIM L (Yet to write GMAT, please advise assuming decent score)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1354

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 23:25
Top Contributor
gaurav2187 wrote:
Hello everybody,

My profile as follows

10th- 92 %
12th- 88%

B.Tech- CGPA 5.9/10 (Mumbai university)

Work ex- 6 years with a leading manufacturing company split into

1 yr- Quality assurance- Won an award on national level for my project
3 yrs- Logistics, production planning
2 yrs (Present function)- Commercial counterpart for R&D projects which includes product costing, project budgeting, cost
controlling etc.

International exp- Well, being in manufacturing setup, on-site work is absent. However, in my current function, I work primarily with international colleagues, I am not very sure whether this can be counted as international exp.


Extra currics- Pretty ordinary-

Request the seniors to comment on my profile standing a chance for ISB, IIM B, IIM C, IIM L (Yet to write GMAT, please advise assuming decent score)


Hi Gaurav

- While your professional experience is quite strong, your acads are not great (though we understand this is MU, but still). You would need a strong GMAT score (700+) here. For ISB, IIMB, and IIMC. For IIML, you could get by with less, but you should be aiming for as close to 700 (or above) as possible.
- Working with international colleagues will still count as international exposure. That may not be the same as international experience (working abroad) but it will still hold some value.
- Manufacturing experience is highly valued, and you have worked across functions, so you will be a strong contender with a decent app and a good GMAT score.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with further questions as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2015
Posts: 236

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 5

Location: Singapore
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 23:40
Please evaluate my profile:

X: 82.8% XII: 65.4%
2007 - 2011: BE from MIT, Manipal; CGPA: 8.47/10 (Amongst top 5%le in class)
2011 - 2014: Manager (Instrumentation Maintenance) in Reliance Industries Limited (Petrochemical Division), Vadodara, India
2014 - 2015: MSc in Management of Technology from NUS, Singapore; CAP: 4.35/5.00
2015 - Present: Production Engineer in Lanxess Pte. Ltd. (Petrochemical Manufacturing) Singapore; Project Management/Process Improvement kind of role.

Have led multiple cross cultural teams and projects at work.
Extra Curricular: Average (Founder of Toastmaster club in a city, won NUS enterprise seed funding, started a charity club in Reliance for children education)

GMAT1: 680(q51 v30 awa 5)
GMAT2: 680(q49 v33 awa 6)

Retake on 4th October.

Target schools: INSEAD, ISB, NUS, NTU, SAID, JUDGE, IIMB EPGP, IIMA PGPEX, Cornell/Kellog 1 year MBA

Post MBA career goal: Operations Consulting or get into a Rotational Leadership Program for industry oriented firm

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 5

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2016, 23:40

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  66    Next  [ 1312 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.