Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
alia24 wrote:
Hi There,

I am looking for my profile evaluation for ISB 2021 batch (2020 intake). Here is my profile:

10th: 86%

Diploma Engineering (Computer science): 74%

B.E (Information Technology): 67%

MBA (Part time - Marketing/IT dual specialization) - from NMIMS, Mumbai

Work experience: 7 years in media industry. I have worked with renowned media companies as a business analyst/product manager.

Achievements: 2 professional awards

Extra curricular: Classically trained singer, Yoga certification

I have not yet appeared for the GMAT.
Please let me know my chances based on these details. Thanks in advance.

Hi alia24

- Product management in the media industry is always interesting. If you have some digital experience as well, then that is a further plus. You certainly will tick off the diversity box for ISB.
- ECA seems pretty good as well too.
- Your acads (college) are average, and you have an MBA already (part-time, but an MBA nevertheless). You will need to explain the need for a second MBA and demonstrate strong analytical skills with a 680+ (and 700+ to put yourself in a safer zone) GMAT score. If you can get there, you have a good chance.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 53
Schools: ISB '21
Send PM
Hello peeps.

Requesting a kind soul to critically evaluate my profile too.

I am a 26 year old (male) Chartered Accountant.

On completion of my CA in Jan 2015 i continued my work in the Dead Advisory department of a Big 4 for 2 years approx before moving on to a boutique deal advisory firm where i worked for approx. 2 years. During my stint at Deal Advisory, I practiced tax and regulatory along while ensuring commercials are not disrupted. Few marquee projects I have handled/worked upon include:

a. Pre-deal IPO structuring of a USD 1.5 Billion dollar Indian company. (Had extensive meetings and discussions with the top management to understand the commercial complexities involved which were dealt later in a tax and regulatory efficient manner) (Note - we head on faced and solved each problem we were able to get our minds on)

b. Deal advisory and structuring of a INR 1100 crore investment (Included negotiations and discussions with two large PEs over a period of 6 months. Provided extensive learning on how to negotiate and effectively communicate on the deal table)

Present stint (since the past 3 months) - working at my family CA firm and also acting as an advisor to a CBSE school. Reason for shifting out of deal advisory - the department seems fixed on a province and I donot see myself working solely at M&A transactions after 5 years. Further, at my own firm, I am undertaking audits, GST, etc. which i believe every CA should have working knowledge of that was missing at M&A. To add more, acting as an advisor to a school is an eye opener for me as it involves streamlining the operation and strategizing. One key event I have advised and implemented include:

a. Helping stablise the transportation facility for students along with the principal and the bus contractor - student safety being paramount, evaluating assumptions and circumstances to check any flaws in the bus system. Further, presently, reviewing the system on an ongoing basis to detect and solve any flaws.

AIM OF DOING A MBA: Leadership quotient + all around development through a General MBA + Understanding the global context of education and the possible opportunities that may lie ahead in the field of education.

SOCIAL OBJECTIVE: Being able to provide world class education to students of all background.

GMAT score - As per current practice tests, hoping 700+

Class 10: 86%
Class 12: 85.4%
BCom: 83%
CA: Cleared in Jan 2015
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Riturajj wrote:
Hello peeps.

On completion of my CA in Jan 2015 i continued my work in the Dead Advisory department of a Big 4 for 2 years approx before moving on to a boutique deal advisory firm where i worked for approx. 2 years. During my stint at Deal Advisory, I practiced tax and regulatory along while ensuring commercials are not disrupted. Few marquee projects I have handled/worked upon include:

a. Pre-deal IPO structuring of a USD 1.5 Billion dollar Indian company. (Had extensive meetings and discussions with the top management to understand the commercial complexities involved which were dealt later in a tax and regulatory efficient manner) (Note - we head on faced and solved each problem we were able to get our minds on)

b. Deal advisory and structuring of a INR 1100 crore investment (Included negotiations and discussions with two large PEs over a period of 6 months. Provided extensive learning on how to negotiate and effectively communicate on the deal table)

Present stint (since the past 3 months) - working at my family CA firm and also acting as an advisor to a CBSE school. Reason for shifting out of deal advisory - the department seems fixed on a province and I donot see myself working solely at M&A transactions after 5 years. Further, at my own firm, I am undertaking audits, GST, etc. which i believe every CA should have working knowledge of that was missing at M&A. To add more, acting as an advisor to a school is an eye opener for me as it involves streamlining the operation and strategizing. One key event I have advised and implemented include:

a. Helping stablise the transportation facility for students along with the principal and the bus contractor - student safety being paramount, evaluating assumptions and circumstances to check any flaws in the bus system. Further, presently, reviewing the system on an ongoing basis to detect and solve any flaws.

AIM OF DOING A MBA: Leadership quotient + all around development through a General MBA + Understanding the global context of education and the possible opportunities that may lie ahead in the field of education.

SOCIAL OBJECTIVE: Being able to provide world class education to students of all background.

Hi Riturajj

- Your work pre-2019 is pretty solid. Deal advisory, structuring, and M&A are all aspects which will stand you in good stead with ISB.
- Your academics are pretty good, and the fact that you are a CA helps further (ISB tremendously values that).
- The key challenge for you will be explaining the move to your family business, and that too at a point just before applying for an MBA. While we understand your need to broaden your skill set to audits and tax advisory, this is not a requirement from a career point of view. Plenty of CAs have solid career without getting into audits and tax advisory - in fact, many of them prefer it that way. Go through this article on CAs and the MBA as well, as it may provide some useful inputs.
- The CBSE school work is also nice, but it is more of an activity than a serious professional detour. Again, it is very recent, so will get you limited credit.
- At the moment, the goals, the way you have expressed them, are way too generic. You will need to define them much better and specifically. As noted earlier, for you, expressing not just the need for an MBA, but the need for an MBA now will be critical.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Riturajj

We have seen over the past few years that the race for CAs has become quite competitive and you have to be mindful of this when you write your application. There are some good positives in your profile: Your experience with the Big 4 as well as with the boutique deal advisory firm is definitely relevant for a PGP applicant. Your achievements stand out too. A 700+ GMAT will also put you on the right track. The current stint with the school will make a great impactful extracurricular story.

Where you should focus: Look up a few alumni from a CA background and follow their career trajectory. You will see that Consulting and Corporate Finance are probably the most taken routes. See what fits well with your interests. Since you have already joined the family firm, you will also need to position your move in a way that it aligns with your short term and long term goals.

We can have a detailed discussion once your GMAT is done. Feel free to reach out.

Riturajj wrote:
Hello peeps.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi raul1706

The good news for you is that Merchant Navy profiles are an absolute hit at ISB and later on at recruitment as well. The not-so-good news is that it is extremely competitive as more and more candidates apply each year.

We have often seen that Merchant Navy candidates often struggle to communicate their experience and their goals in a manner that would differentiate them from other candidates with a similar background. This should be your focus area when you apply: How are you different from your peers?

Answer this well and your battle is won!

PS Please also ensure you apply to the IIM A/B/C Executive MBAs.

raul1706 wrote:
Can someone please evaluate my profile,
Been In Merchant Navy for 8 years working on Oil Tankers
10-80%
12-91%
CGPA 7.4 from Bits Pilani
Bachelor of science in marine Engineering
GMAT score 680 ,V35 Q 48

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Praharsh96 wrote:
Hi all,

Thinking of applying in September 2019. I am a bit of a job hopper & thinking whether I should apply next year instead.

23, Male
GRE - 328

Work experience: 26 months (at the time of matriculation)

Large UK bank 6 months, Finance ( think SC, HSBC, RBS ) in private banking - Dealt with several high net worth clients. Handled risk profiling for the client's portfolio
& coordinated with relationship managers from the UK.

Real estate - Family business, Sales & marketing role - 9 months Worked in a family business environment in Hyderabad. Handled client queries, organized property visits, did market research on various properties & assisted the real estate agents. It was largely a communications role.

Mid-sized Netherlands environmental services firm - Marketing associate - Presently working here Executed digital marketing activities such as email & social media marketing to increase traffic.
Handled allocation of the marketing budget for trade shows, seminars and print collateral. Collaborated with sales team to draft proposals & presentations for clients. I have 2 interns reporting to me.

Education

10th - CBSE - 9.6 GPA
12th - CBSE - 78% ( Science )
Graduation: Famous private college ( Manipal, VIT, etc ) in BBA, 8.2 GPA

Extra Curricular:

Played for the school & college teams in both football & athletics.
Was in the National cadet corps for 2 years.
Have been volunteering with the Rotary club for almost 3 years. Been on immersion programs to Sri Lanka, Singapore & Malaysia.
I can speak 5 Indian languages excluding English.
Certifications in Google AdWords + analytics, Adobe suite, 2 Himalayan high altitude treks & few others on Udemy.

Hobbies include - Landscape photography, stargazing, medieval novels & playing the guitar.

Conclusion -

I just want to know if I would be a strong applicant with good chances for Round 1 ISB. Post-MBA goals would be B2C marketing in either sports or media firms.

Hi Praharsh96

- You should go for R1. You have around ~11 months in your current role, and that is decent exposure. With your overall credentials, you would have a chance.
- Sports marketing may be tough going out of ISB. Media firms may be a possibility. Your goals will need a bit of further thought and expression.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
prernak19 wrote:
Hi guys!

I am looking to apply this year in Round 1 so any help in my profile evaluation would be helpful!

Undergrad - BBA in Management and Entrepreneurship from Thailand
Total Work Ex. till April 2020 - 4 years
GMAT - scheduled for July 2019

I was born in India but grew up in Thailand. I completed my schooling from Bangkok, and attended university there as well. My first job was as a Senior Sales Executive where I worked for a local lifestyle publication in ad sales. Alongside the publications, I also was part of the team which hosted the largest Indian wedding fair in Thailand for 2 years. My first job relied heavily on field sales, event management, and networking with clients.

My current job is with Uber Eats as a Team Lead for the sales team. I have been part of the teams launching the service in different markets across India and have led various sales sprints. I lead a team of 11 individuals, all who come together to meet deadlines and project requirements efficiently. My job is heavy on project, people and stakeholder management.

Some of my extra-curricular activities in school include President of South Asian Club, President of International Club, Spiritual Vice President, Assistant Editor for Yearbook, and President for Drama Club. I have initiated a few clubs on my own in college when I saw that there was a need for it and have participated in all cross-cultural events as well.

I consider myself to be culturally sensitive and a passionate leader with global experience - one who's not afraid to try new things!

I am aiming for a 750 on the GMAT for a strong chance to get in during Round 1. Any feedback is welcome :)

Hi prernak19
- Very interesting profile overall. You have pretty much everything that ISB looks for. It will be more a matter of translating it into a solid app.
- If you do achieve the 750, it will open you up for multiple other top schools as well, around the world. For ISB, for a profile like yours, even a 700 would be competitive (though of course, you should go higher and not stop at 700).

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sugamsindhi wrote:
Hi,

I've planned to apply for ISB in the first round of 2019.

Undergrad- B. tech from Tier 2 college with a CGPA of 7.6.

Work Ex- 32 months with IFB in service operations as well as business development for additives category.
Designation- Area Manager
My work primarily revolved around handling service operations of a given territory in Bangalore. Apart from the operations aspect, I was responsible for driving the service business in particular categories and maintain the required targets month on month. I do have some quantifiable achievements to be presented through my work experience.
A small caveat though, I've recently resigned from my job to prepare for CAT as well as GMAT.

Extra curricular- Participation in Marketing events for literary event in college.
Head of the engine and transmission department for fabrication of vehicle in Formula Student competition .

Hi sugamsindhi
- Your work experience is quite interesting. Service operations management, some aspects of category management etc. are all significant positives. The concern in this regard, though, is that you have resigned. Please try to get back to a role soon. Unemployment at the time of application/interview (if selected) can be a negative.
- Your academics are quite good but try to pair with at least a 700+ GMAT here.
- The ECA part seems a bit weak. While you have some activities in college, these might not differentiate you too much in the ISB applications process.
- CAT and GMAT together can be quite a handful. Make sure you segment them well - get one (GMAT, as the deadlines are earlier) done first.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi! I'm planning to apply for the YLP program and any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Female, 23 years
Zero work experience

My major subject in undergrad was Botany but I've studied 4 papers of Economics as a minor. Plus, I've taken up two courses of Economics - Global Political Economy and Poverty and Inequality, in my postgraduate studies.

Class 10- 10 CGPA
Class 12- 92% (PCMB)
Graduation (Botany Hons)- 8.811/10 CGPA (Delhi University North Campus college)
Post Graduation (Biotechnology) - 9/9 GPA (till first year) [I'm trying really hard to maintain it]

ECA-

(Undergraduate)
Best Student Award
Academic Excellence Award
Highest Scorer Award
RCB National Science Day Debate Topper
Member of Literary Society
Winner in many inter college sports events such as carrom, volleyball.
Participated and won many MUNs

(Post graduate)
Academic Excellence Award for Highest Grade in First Year
Member of Designing Committee for Abstracts Book for South Asian Biotechnology Conference 2019
Designed the logo of the college department
Curated art exhibition in college
Winner in many intra-college sports events such as table tennis, cricket and volleyball.

(School)
City Topper and State Topper (Rank 3) in National Science Olympiad
Winner of MP State National Children's Science Congress
Winner
Achievements in essay writing, debate, painting and sports.

Hobbies: Painting, Reading books, Singing, Playing ukulele

I'd like to do an MBA because I'm looking forward for a major career switch. I want to work in the corporate sector instead of the academic field. That being said, I'd like to use my knowledge of the subject till date to try and seek newer solutions to whatever problem is served to me.

I'm planning to take the GMAT in August 2019 and I'm aiming at a score of 720+.

Originally posted by ak21 on 02 Jul 2019, 21:21.
Last edited by ak21 on 02 Jul 2019, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ak21 wrote:
Hi! I'm planning to apply for the YLP program and any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Class 10- 10 CGPA
Class 12- 92%
Graduation (Botany Hons)- 8.811/10 CGPA (Delhi University North Campus college)
Post Graduation (Biotechnology) - 9/9 GPA (till first year) [I'm trying really hard to maintain it]

ECA-

(Undergraduate)
Best Student Award
Academic Excellence Award
Highest Scorer Award
RCB National Science Day Debate Topper
Member of Literary Society
Winner in many inter college sports events such as carrom, volleyball.
Participated and won many MUNs

(Post graduate)
Academic Excellence Award for Highest Grade in First Year
Member of Designing Committee for Abstracts Book for South Asian Biotechnology Conference 2019
Designed the logo of the college department
Curated art exhibition in college
Winner in many intra-college sports events such as table tennis, cricket and volleyball.

(School)
City Topper and State Topper (Rank 3) in National Science Olympiad
Winner of MP State National Children's Science Congress
Winner
Achievements in essay writing, debate, painting and sports.

Hobbies: Painting, Reading books, Singing, Playing ukulele

I'd like to do an MBA because I'm looking forward for a major career switch. I want to work in the corporate sector instead of the academic field. That being said, I'd like to use my knowledge of the subject till date to try and seek newer solutions to whatever problem is served to me.

Hi ak21

Your profile looks pretty good for the YLP, but YLP admissions for this year's intake are already underway. You can apply next year (2020 March) for Round 1.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi

Can you please share your thoughts on my profile -

Age - 24
Work experience - 3 years (as at date)

Profile - Actuarial domain. Currently pursuing actuarial science with 11 of 15 papers cleared from IFoA.

International exposure - spent around 8 months on secondment in UK

Educational background -

Mathematics honors (batch 2015) with aggregate of 91% from DU

12th - 90.4% (non medical - 2012)
10th - CGPA 9.6/10 ( batch 2010)

Extracurricular activities -

Office - Organising Team events in office
College - taught at an NGO, member of organising committee during department festivals and named student of the year

Accomplishments at office - Gem award, Managers award, annual award and an award received from the UK team during secondments.

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Anshlla wrote:
Hi

Can you please share your thoughts on my profile -

Age - 24
Work experience - 3 years (as at date)

Profile - Actuarial domain. Currently pursuing actuarial science with 11 of 15 papers cleared from IFoA.

International exposure - spent around 8 months on secondment in UK

Educational background -

Mathematics honors (batch 2015) with aggregate of 91% from DU

12th - 90.4% (non medical - 2012)
10th - CGPA 9.6/10 ( batch 2010)

Extracurricular activities -

Office - Organising Team events in office
College - taught at an NGO, member of organising committee during department festivals and named student of the year

Accomplishments at office - Gem award, Managers award, annual award and an award received from the UK team during secondments.

Hi Anshlla
- Your acads are very strong, and your actuarial work will give you an excellent background in mathematical analysis and modeling.
- On ECA, except the NGO work, the other things may not count for much. The foreign experience, though, helps (as professional exposure).
- Actuaries are niche professionals in their own right, so you will need to clearly explain the need for an MBA at this stage, especially as some actuary exams are still pending for you.
- As of now, though, focus on the GMAT as that is first.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
ak21 wrote:

Yep! That should be your numero uno priority right now ak21. Everything else fill follow thru.

Good luck with your GMAT!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Riturajj wrote:

Well, this aim needs to be thought thru, discussed, and IMHO, significantly revised:).

Quote:

Where did this come from? Applicants need to slightly step down from idealism to realism.
Director
Director
Send PM
raul1706 wrote:
Can someone please evaluate my profile,
Been In Merchant Navy for 8 years working on Oil Tankers
10-80%
12-91%
CGPA 7.4 from Bits Pilani
Bachelor of science in marine Engineering
GMAT score 680 ,V35 Q 48

See if you can reappear in GMAT raul1706, though your current score is also not a no-go. However, since we still have time before the deadline, this would be best utilized in the re-attempt. Any score upwards of your current score will add to strengthening of your already decent profile.
Director
Director
Send PM
pm1995 wrote:
Hi!

Please evaluate my profile for ISB:

GMAT Score: 700 (Q47, V40)

Educational Qualifications:

Graduation: B.Tech in Mechanical,DTU- 78.43%
Class 12: 93.4%
Class 10: 10.0/10.0

Work Experience:
Worked 9 months in Hexagon as a software analyst and then switched to United health group as data analyst in marketing analytics team.

Extra Curricular:
Participation in various football tournaments in school and college level.
Worked as a volunteer in Teach for India for 1 and 1/2 year

Thanks!

You have an exceptional Verbal score, but a not so sterling Quant. Any chance/motivation of re-attempting GMAT? You have your task cut out.

You UG college and your academics vouch for a great profile. GMAT score is the only average component in your profile (YLP is quite competitive).

Would suggest you take a shot at GMAT again. How hard can GMAT Quant be, with your profile?
Director
Director
Send PM
Akshatarora0112 wrote:
Work Experience:
Working at Maruti Suzuki India Limited in a central operations and strategy role in production. Responsible for central procurement (~100MRs) procurement strategy, system adherence, strategy deployment in areas of cost, quality, safety and productivity.

Decent profile Akshat! Make sure your goals strongly align with your 3 years of work experience in the field of core operations. ISB offers a specialization in Operations; make sure you highlight this in your essays and also articulate how you would benefit from the various courses in Operations concentration.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  141   142   143   144   145  ...  307