GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2020, 10:35
ISBeacon wrote:
rishovnits91 wrote:
Hi, Kindly evaluate my profile:

10th std-83.4%
12th std.-83.2%
Btech in civil engineering from NIT Silchar (class of 2012). CPI-8/10

Hi rishovnits91, curiously, there is no mention of GMAT, in your post. Without GMAT, any attempt to perform a holistic profile evaluation, is a bit of an exercise in futility.

Hi,

I am carrying a score of 620 and reappearing again in 30-40 days.

Thanks,
Rishov Sarkar
Intern
Intern
B
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 03:18
Hey, I wanted to know why do you think that a 700 GMAT score is low for bschools in Singapore, and good enough for Indian schools. The average for schools in Singapore seems to be around 660. Even after considering a 20-30 point handicap for Indian applicants, do you think 700 is a must?
In fact for Indian schools I believe it is the opposite. The average GMAT score has always been around 700 at Indian schools. So a 700+ score might be more relevant for Indian schools.

Apphelp wrote:
Hi monodeep Dutta

There are some good brands on your CV and your previous academics are good too. A 700 GMAT will work for the Indian B-schools, though it may be on the lower side for NUS and NTU. You need not worry about your previous lower score in school, though you might need a higher GMAT (not necessarily quant) score for B-schools abroad.

In terms of goals, given the background given by you, brand marketing seems the closest fit. Also, business development or account management would also be
good options. While Consulting is always a viable option for all applicants, we wouldn't recommend you writing it as a goal in your application.

Monodeep Dutta wrote:
Hi,

Need honest feedback on my chances at NUS, NTU and ISB.

Background:

Education:

GMAT 700 (Q45, V41, IR 7, AWA- 5)
10th: 90%
12th- 92%
College: B.Com Hons (Marketing Specialization) CGPA- 7.24/10/ Converted GPA- 3.0/4

Diplomas:
Six Sigma Green Belt
Diploma in Digital Marketing from Digital Vidya

Work Ex:

Overall 5 years work ex

- 2 years in sales/business development at VC backed startups like Grofers, Wedmegood, Runnr
- 3 years working as a program manager for a startup benefits program/community + managing influencer marketing for Directi

Extracurriculars:
- Captain of the school cricket team
- School team- Hockey, Football, Rowing and Dance
- Other activities: Debate, Athletics etc

Future plans:
In order of preference:
1. Transition into VC and continue working with startups
2. Work as a brand manager in the FMCG space
3. Strategy Consulting

Issues: Poor math score in school and GMAT (did make up for it in college though as it was more statistics-driven)
Would like to know my chances at NTU, NUS, IIMA A/B and ISB and where you think my priorities should lie.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB (A)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 04:46
Monodeep Dutta wrote:
Hi,

Background:

Education:

12th- 92%
College: B.Com Hons (Marketing Specialization) CGPA- 7.24/10/ Converted GPA- 3.0/4

Diplomas:
Six Sigma Green Belt

Work Ex:

Overall 5 years work ex

- 2 years in sales/business development at VC backed startups like Grofers, Wedmegood, Runnr
- 3 years working as a program manager for a startup benefits program/community + managing influencer marketing for Directi

Extracurriculars:

Future plans:
In order of preference:
3. Strategy Consulting

Issues: Poor math score in school and GMAT (did make up for it in college though as it was more statistics-driven)
Would like to know my chances at NTU, NUS, IIMA A/B and ISB and where you think my priorities should lie.

Hi Monodeep Dutta,

Acads- slightly above average; Work-ex: good and slightly diverse from majority of the class at all the schools you mention; Extra-curricular: good

Your GMAT score is good enough for all the schools you mention. In fact NUS's and NTU's average scores are sub-700.

Regarding your goals,
- Even though few VCs have started to recruit from ISB, your profile doesn't seem to be suited for such a role
- Brand management is a good option and consulting (not specifically strategy consulting) can be your plan B

In terms of your chances, ISB and NUS/NTU would be good bets followed by IIMs (majority of class and placements are in the IT/ITES sector). A lower quant score at GMAT isn't a challenge. However, if you have a tough time working with quant and statistics in general, brace yourself for more since a number of courses at ISB and other b-schools are quant heavy (for e.g. the dreaded DMOP at ISB :)). Even for courses in marketing, there is a fair degree of stats and quant involved.

Feel free to reach out for further queries!

Cheers,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G | ISB Class of 2013

End-to-end admissions mentoring services to help you get into your dream MBA program

Reach out for a free essay review and profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 07:01
S4G wrote:
Monodeep Dutta wrote:
Hi,

Background:

Education:

12th- 92%

Diplomas:
Six Sigma Green Belt

Work Ex:

Overall 5 years work ex

Extracurriculars:

Future plans:
In order of preference:
3. Strategy Consulting

Hi Monodeep Dutta,

Acads- slightly above average; Work-ex: good and slightly diverse from majority of the class at all the schools you mention; Extra-curricular: good

Your GMAT score is good enough for all the schools you mention. In fact NUS's and NTU's average scores are sub-700.

Regarding your goals,
- Even though few VCs have started to recruit from ISB, your profile doesn't seem to be suited for such a role
- Brand management is a good option and consulting (not specifically strategy consulting) can be your plan B

In terms of your chances, ISB and NUS/NTU would be good bets followed by IIMs (majority of class and placements are in the IT/ITES sector). A lower quant score at GMAT isn't a challenge. However, if you have a tough time working with quant and statistics in general, brace yourself for more since a number of courses at ISB and other b-schools are quant heavy (for e.g. the dreaded DMOP at ISB :)). Even for courses in marketing, there is a fair degree of stats and quant involved.

Feel free to reach out for further queries!

Cheers,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G | ISB Class of 2013
Intern
Intern
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 13:59
Dear all,

I'm Vindhya, a civil engineering undergraduate. I plan to write GMAT and apply for ISB, NUS, NTU. My target score is 720-740. Here's my profile:
BTech- (NIT Andhra) Civil Engineering (9.27, gold medal)
MTech- (IIT Madras) Construction Technology & Management (9.1)
Class 12- 97.6%
Class 10- 10/10
Work Ex- 5 years in L&T ECC
Extracurriculars- Initiated the Civil Engineering Association during undergrad
Served as the Executive Member of CEA for 3 years
Organized various events during college techno-cultural fest
Selected by Indian Govt. for Indian youth delegation to China during undergrad
Selected for IASc fellowship at IIT-H and interned at CSIR-SERC
Played state-level throwball during class 10
Participated in MUNs in class 10

I am not sure about the fact that I've worked in the same company for 5 years continuously. Will it affect my chances of selection? Also, coming from a construction management background, what kind of placements can I expect, if selected?
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Kelley '14 (A$)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 20:15
vindhyabh wrote:
Dear all,

I'm Vindhya, a civil engineering undergraduate. I plan to write GMAT and apply for ISB, NUS, NTU. My target score is 720-740. Here's my profile:
Class 12- 97.6%
Class 10- 10/10

I am not sure about the fact that I've worked in the same company for 5 years continuously. Will it affect my chances of selection? Also, coming from a construction management background, what kind of placements can I expect, if selected?

Hello Vindhya,
You have a solid academic record and a very good chance of getting in ISB, NUS, NTU on the basis of your target GMAT score. However, a lot will depend on your goals.
Working in a single company rather shows commitment, and hints at the fact that you showed potential and grew considerably within the firm to not have sought a change. What jumps out to me is you worked with a brand and what will really matter is if you are able to show growth, demonstrated leadership potential and impact within the firm you worked. You haven’t really talked about these here, so a little peak into this can help me comment better.
You have impressive extra-curricular too, but they are not current. I would want to understand the kind of activities you are engaged in currently. You need to talk about EC that is recent or any passion that you continued. AdCom want a rounded personality and love to see the social impact you have created beyond your personal development. Most times, applicants do not realize the extent of their extra-curricular initiatives, thinking most of it as mundane.
An MBA school is for you to realize your dreams and further your career goals. The right question then should not be the kind of placements you can expect, but rather what you want to do post-MBA. Think why you need an MBA, and the kind of companies you would want to work for or the roles in which you want to work. Do you want to switch your career? Do you want to switch industry? If yes, then why? Do you want to grow in your current profile? Then we can look at those sets of companies which come to hire on these campuses. With your current positioning, it shows a lack of clarity of goals. Think of how the MBA will help you professionally.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.

https://ruchipandeconsulting.com/

For more information, write to: info@ruchipandeconsulting.com
For detailed profile evaluation: https://ruchipandeconsulting.com/contact-us/
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 08:56
vindhyabh wrote:
Dear all,

Class 12- 97.6%
Class 10- 10/10

Hi vindhyabh, it's incredible! What times have we come to! Doubts are being raised weather working for 5 years in a company continuously can be perceived as a negative point. Why? As long as the company has been professionally fulfilling to you, I would say it’s a big positive that you are not indulging in “company hopping”. In fact, I would make a case for the reverse: if someone has been hopping companies all too frequently, that could be perceived as a negative.

From your post, we do not get much sense in terms of your exact nature of work at ECC, but I am assuming it is related to construction management, because from what I know, executing turnkey construction projects is one of the key areas of work at ECC.

Also we do not get a sense from your post in terms of what your post-MBA goals are. Make sure they are relevant and aligned with your educational and professional experiences so far; and before I forget Vindhya, do stick to your promise of getting 720-740 in GMAT.

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 09:01
rishovnits91 wrote:

Hi rishovnits91, that 620 needs to go significantly up brother! What was your section split in 620?

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 09:11
ISBeacon wrote:
rishovnits91 wrote:

Hi rishovnits91, that 620 needs to go significantly up brother! What was your section split in 620?

Hi,

V27 Q48
Intern
Intern
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 09:34
Hi, please rate my profile for ISB?

1. 10th/12th/Grad = 83/86/72. Grad is B.Tech in IT from GGSIPU.
2. Total of 4.5 years experience with 2 years in a service based MNC and 2.5 years in top tier world reknowned product based company. Currently working as a Software Engineer.
3. Wish to go into Product Management (owing to Product based experience)
4. GMAT target score is 750.
5. ECA - Black Belt in Taekwondo, Participated in various MUNs, General Secretary of college IEEE chapter, President of college LitSoc, Chief Editor of the official college magazine and event organizer in multiple events. Held public communication and placement workshop for juniors. Won debates at college. Organized multiple IEEE events in the college. Knowledge of second language - speaking proficiency (German). Regularly involved in pro bono work with current company.
6. Hobbies - Poetry, reading, playing guitar, football.

Why MBA? Need to acquire skills that will fastrack career in management.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 09:42
BlandRhetoric wrote:

2. Total of 4.5 years experience with 2 years in a service based MNC and 2.5 years in top tier world reknowned product based company. Currently working as a Software Engineer.
5. ECA - Black Belt in Taekwondo, Participated in various MUNs, General Secretary of college IEEE chapter, President of college LitSoc, Chief Editor of the official college magazine and event organizer in multiple events. Held public communication and placement workshop for juniors. Won debates at college. Organized multiple IEEE events in the college. Knowledge of second language - speaking proficiency (German). Regularly involved in pro bono work with current company.

Hello BlandRhetoric,
On the face of it, you have a compelling profile and a score for ISB.
Your ECA is interesting. Would love to understand more about your pro-bono work.
Again you haven't given much details around your work experience. You will need to focus on giving out good examples of leadership and impact from your professional life.
Chances of your success will depend on strategic positioning of your story.
Hope this helps.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 10:02
YES
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 21:56
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
BlandRhetoric wrote:

Hello BlandRhetoric,
Your ECA is interesting. Would love to understand more about your pro-bono work.
Again you haven't given much details around your work experience. You will need to focus on giving out good examples of leadership and impact from your professional life.
Hope this helps.

Hi Ruchi,

Thanks for the evaluation. My pro bono work includes working with children focused NGOs to develop websites for better outreach and attending workshops wherein children from different NGOs are bought to the company campus and are provided computer training, take part in handicrafts workshops and participate in workshops where they are taught about basic rights to privacy and children rights.

Leadership wise, I have been the feature lead for various features in my product, and have also lead the data anlytics team. As part of these roles, I have had to organize the feature teams, assign different aspects to each member, converse with the Product Managers and work towards the best possible feature delivery in line with customer satisfaction. I could explain in a longer post but that would be the gist of it.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 22:37

1. 10th/12th/Grad = 87/63/69. Grad is B.Tech in Civil Engg from State College
2. Total of 5 years experience in Oil PSU. Currently working as Manager.
3. Wish to go into Finance Sector
4. GMAT target score is 700-720.
5. Have overviewed Civil Projects and Have handled Operations
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 23:57
BlandRhetoric wrote:
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
BlandRhetoric wrote:

Hello BlandRhetoric,
Hope this helps.

Hi Ruchi,

Thanks for the evaluation. My pro bono work includes working with children focused NGOs to develop websites for better outreach and attending workshops wherein children from different NGOs are bought to the company campus and are provided computer training, take part in handicrafts workshops and participate in workshops where they are taught about basic rights to privacy and children rights.

Leadership wise, I have been the feature lead for various features in my product, and have also lead the data anlytics team. As part of these roles, I have had to organize the feature teams, assign different aspects to each member, converse with the Product Managers and work towards the best possible feature delivery in line with customer satisfaction. I could explain in a longer post but that would be the gist of it.

Hello BlandRhetoric,
You are involved in some nice social initiatives at your work place. Again, it will depend on the number of hours you invest weekly in those initiatives, how long you have been involved, and the impact you have created there.
I would not only describe leadership as leading teams, but also as motivating teams, solving for challenges, innovating and creating impact. I think this is what you meant would take a longer post, but understanding this would be crucial to comment further.
I have two additional questions to ask:
1) How did you rank in your college at graduation percentile)?
2) How does your current role as SE further your past roles in MNC and the product-based firm?
Apologies to have not asked all the questions in one go. For a detailed evaluation, feel free to write to me at https://ruchipandeconsulting.com/contact-us/.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 00:00
MikeCorleone wrote:

Hi,
While you have strong work experience in terms of handling projects and operations in an Oil PSU, your academics are slightly on the lower side, especially 12th Marks. You need to compensate this with an above-average GMAT score (720+). As far as your post-MBA goals are concerned, with 5 years of experience in an Oil PSU, getting into the finance sector can be a bit difficult, though not impossible. There have been instances where people with PSU background have changed their domain and got into banking after graduating from ISB. But you may need to compromise on your initial salary and position. If you are open to other roles and sectors, you can be a very good candidate for consulting (oil & gas domain ) or operations role in E-commerce. Hope that helps.

Feel free to register for a free admission consulting session if you have any further queries.
All the best!

Email: support@psutoprivate.com | +91 9470357620 |Website | https://www.linkedin.com/company/psutoprivate

Mentors from your domain|Unlimited mentoring|Mock interviews by expert panel

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 00:06
MikeCorleone wrote:

Your description is too short for a complete profile evaluation.
I would want to understand the following from you to comment any further on your profile:
1) How did you rank in your college at graduation (percentile)?
2) What are your achievements in your current role, any impact that you may have created, and any promotions and your role and responsibilities in detail?
3) What is the motivation for your post-MBA goal? Finance is a huge field. You will have to be more specific in what you want to do?
4) You haven’t talk about your extra-curricular here. Do you also have any hobbies or passions you follow?

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.28
WE: Account Management (Accounting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 00:34
Hai,

I am Naresh. It is my long term dream to do MBA in finance from ISB/IIMs. Pls find my credentials mentioned below:

1. X - CBSE - 89%
2. XII - state board - 93%
3. BCOM - IGNOU - BCOM (A&F) - 69% - distance education
4. Chartered Accountant - 57%
5. US Certified Management Accountant - 75%

At present I have accounting and finance experience of 5 years in an automobile sector. I am handling compliance related works in my office.

1. Had 2 years experience in Audit & Assurance- During this period handled various assignments such as Lead a team of 10 members for Central Statutory Audit, Aeronautical companies, several statutory and taxation assignments.

3. Three years of experience in current company as Deputy Manager - Handling assignments such as GST compliance, Direct Taxation, and other statutory compliances. Responsible for closure of plant accounting and reporting.

Conducted Due diligence audit for acquisition of our UK foreign subsidiary and responsible for MIS of our foreign subsidiary.

I don't have any certificates for extra curricular activities on my name. Just a normal guy who used to participate in inter house competitions. Having just NCC certificate and NCC camp participation for 20 days.

I am aiming for a score of 700 - 720 in GMAT.

Long term goal - Looking for CFO kind roles, Short Term - Corporate Finance., But okay with any kind of Finance roles except for Investment Banking.

Pls evaluate my chances with ISB. Aiming for 2021 intake. Also is there any way to improvise my profile further. Hopefully will be taking GMAT by next month.

Below is my contact details:

Mail ID: k.naresh.ca@gmail.comJul 8 ✓✓
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 01:11
Hi NARESHNAGAPPA,

You have got a great profile. ISB is a great school for Finance and it looks for these values in a potential candidate:
1. Academic Excellence
2. Impact
3. Diversity
4. Clarity of thought in career goals

I can see elements of 1 & 2 in your profile. A targeted GMAT of 700-720 would help in covering slightly lower acads. With regards to your work ex, 5 years is really competitive and I can see that you have taken some leadership roles and bold actions in your work and with great stories you would be able to highlight them. For career goals, I must advise you to have more concrete and detailed goals since ISB is very particular about how clear one’s vision is. Your extracurriculars seem low and if you want to improve them now, I would suggest you to start doing something more outside your work (anything that you like: meetups, community service, blogging, storytelling etc.) and include them in your profile. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further.
Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin

NARESHNAGAPPA wrote:
Hai,

I am Naresh. It is my long term dream to do MBA in finance from ISB/IIMs. Pls find my credentials mentioned below:

1. X - CBSE - 89%

At present I have accounting and finance experience of 5 years in an automobile sector. I am handling compliance related works in my office.

1. Had 2 years experience in Audit & Assurance- During this period handled various assignments such as Lead a team of 10 members for Central Statutory Audit, Aeronautical companies, several statutory and taxation assignments.

3. Three years of experience in current company as Deputy Manager - Handling assignments such as GST compliance, Direct Taxation, and other statutory compliances. Responsible for closure of plant accounting and reporting.

Conducted Due diligence audit for acquisition of our UK foreign subsidiary and responsible for MIS of our foreign subsidiary.

I don't have any certificates for extra curricular activities on my name. Just a normal guy who used to participate in inter house competitions. Having just NCC certificate and NCC camp participation for 20 days.

Long term goal - Looking for CFO kind roles, Short Term - Corporate Finance., But okay with any kind of Finance roles except for Investment Banking.

Pls evaluate my chances with ISB. Aiming for 2021 intake. Also is there any way to improvise my profile further. Hopefully will be taking GMAT by next month.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 01:19
NARESHNAGAPPA wrote:
Hai,

1. X - CBSE - 89%

Hello Nareshnagappa,
A lot will depend on your GMAT score. A score of 720 will definitely help your case.
You have mentioned your job description here, but will matter to the AdCom is your achievements, the growth you have shown at your workplace, your demonstrated leadership potential and the impact you have created. You will have to talk about these aspects in your application.
You do not need a certificate for all EC activities. Successful candidates are able to demonstrate some self-definition outside of work and an impact beyond personal development. Most people have better ECs than they think they do. We can discuss your hobbies, passions to see if we can find any meaningful examples there.
Please remember you will also need 4-6 weeks to put a competitive application and ISB Round 1 and 2 deadlines are Sept 15, 2020 and Jan 1, 2022, respectively.
I have also sent you the evaluation at your personal ID since it was mentioned here.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2020, 01:19

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  179   180   181   182   183  ...  191    Next  [ 3812 posts ] 

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: LeoN88, elPatron434