Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello krishna0408

What works for you is- Big brands on the CV, good past scores, decent extracurriculars (make sure you present them as relevant to the application) and organic career goals.
What is in the grey area is the typical IT profile (low on diversity and makes it a bit difficult to stand out) paired with avg GRE score.
The presentation of work ex, extracurricular and clarity of thought behind goals will have to compensate in order to stand out in this large and competitive pool.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

krishna0408 wrote:
Age- 26, Male

GRE score- 325 (V-159; Q-166)

Educational Qualifications-
College- Bachelors of Technology from JNTU, Kakinada with 8.99 CGPA
12 - 95.8% - State Board
10- 93.2% - State Board

Work ex- IT -Software Engineer - 5 years
Accenture-2.5 years
Worked on development on wide range of products from Machine learning to mobile applications.
Leading a team of 4 in product development for microsoft. Experienced in project management, stakeholder management

TCS - 2.5 years
Worked as developer for Ericsson and developed products for user base of more than 1 lakh.

Short Term goal - Product manager in companies like Microsoft, Google
Long term goal - Rise up in product role to product head /CPO

Extra Circulars/ Awards,
Received performer awards in both companies at account level.
Organized tech conference for company I have worked.
Participated in technical/ non technical fests at college level and won some too.
Participated and won in sports competitions at school level.
Participated in dance competitions and travelled most of the country.

Please let me know your thoughts on my chances of getting in!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone could help with my profile evaluation for ISB:

10th 94.36%
12th 93.33%
BTech Mechanical - 9.73/10, Graduated in 2017 (non IIT, non NIT)
GMAT Online 670 Q49 V32 IR 7

Workex- 4yrs 3 months in Hydrocarbon (Oil n Gas) Industry in one of the leading MNCs of India

Work Profile - Proposals and Cost Estimation
Designation - Assistant Manager

1. My overall work role involves preparation of techno-commercial bid for various enquiries received from some of the major oil n gas giants as well as from major renewable energy as well as LNG players.
The enquires are typically for lets say petrochemical plants, or for wind turbine foundations, projects majorly in and around Europe, or for LNG plants located throughout the globe, majorly USA.
2. My work involves thorough reading of the bid documents and understanding the scope of work involved between the Client and us.
As a Central Proposal guy, I then corodinate with one of our fabrication yard and have a common understanding between yard and our team at Mumbai regarding the respective deliverables from each end for final nid submission.
3. Do the costing of major supply items. This involves having an understanding of the current market trends expecially for commodity like steel.
4. Once the final figure is arrived, do parametric comparison with earlier similar estimates and also do some competitor analysis and fix the final price in consultation with the management.
5. Participate in Proposal Risk Reviews with higher management to understand and mitigate the risks involved.
6. Interact in Client Clarification and negotiation meetings until the Project Award.

Achievements/Extra Curricular/Co curricular:
 • Work Related
1. Promoted from GET to Senior Engineer to Assistant Manager (effective Jan 2021) in a span of 3.5 yrs. The average time during Covid being 4yrs and above.
2. Rated consistently as Oustanding, Top and Top Perfomer for the year 2018, 2019 and 2020 respectively.
3. Have grown from assisting the senior Proposal colleague to handling the entire proposal alone.
4. Played the role of buddy for 2 new GETs. Role involves guiding them so that they learn and become good assets for the organization.
Also, invited by HR to give an overview of the department vertical to new GETs.
5. Played a key role in the proposal team which was successful in bagging the largest Onshore Modularization Award (100 Mn$ plus)
5. Worked as a CID ( Championing Icon in Department) for the annual festival ICONS of the firm. Worked towards encouraging teams to nominate themselves for their recoginition of outstanding work performed by them throughout the financial year.

• UG College:
1. Served as the General Secretary of Students' Council Body during my third year of UG and successfully organized various events ranging from Cultural to Technical to Sports.
2. Worked as the Training and Placement Coordinator with the TPO during the final year
3. Was a recipient of Ratan Tata trust scholarship during one of the years at UG for securing first rank across all 3 branches of engineering.
4. Apart from above, organized and volunteered for other activities like Blood Donations camps during the first and second year.

• Before UG:
1. Stood 3rd in HSC in Science Stream from among 400+ students
2. Was Subject topper in Mathematics and Computer Science subject.
3. Stood first in 10th Std.
3. Completed Rajya Puraskar (State level) level in Bharat Scouts and Guides in 2009.

• Hobbies:
Cooking, reading newspaper, and meditation

• Post MBA goals:
Management Consulting and then in the long term move on to Renewable Energy Consulting

P.S. I've done the financing of my entire education from 11th till Final year UG via scholarship.
The scholarship required good academic performance every year for it to continue for the next year.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
Send PM
PrinceJ wrote:
Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone could help with my profile evaluation for ISB:

10th 94.36%
12th 93.33%

Workex- 4yrs 3 months in Hydrocarbon (Oil n Gas) Industry in one of the leading MNCs of India

1. My overall work role involves preparation of techno-commercial bid for various enquiries received from some of the major oil n gas giants as well as from major renewable energy as well as LNG players.
The enquires are typically for lets say petrochemical plants, or for wind turbine foundations, projects majorly in and around Europe, or for LNG plants located throughout the globe, majorly USA.
2. My work involves thorough reading of the bid documents and understanding the scope of work involved between the Client and us.
As a Central Proposal guy, I then corodinate with one of our fabrication yard and have a common understanding between yard and our team at Mumbai regarding the respective deliverables from each end for final nid submission.
3. Do the costing of major supply items. This involves having an understanding of the current market trends expecially for commodity like steel.
4. Once the final figure is arrived, do parametric comparison with earlier similar estimates and also do some competitor analysis and fix the final price in consultation with the management.
5. Participate in Proposal Risk Reviews with higher management to understand and mitigate the risks involved.
6. Interact in Client Clarification and negotiation meetings until the Project Award.

• Work Related
1. Promoted from GET to Senior Engineer to Assistant Manager (effective Jan 2021) in a span of 3.5 yrs. The average time during Covid being 4yrs and above.
2. Rated consistently as Oustanding, Top and Top Perfomer for the year 2018, 2019 and 2020 respectively.
3. Have grown from assisting the senior Proposal colleague to handling the entire proposal alone.
4. Played the role of buddy for 2 new GETs. Role involves guiding them so that they learn and become good assets for the organization.
5. Played a key role in the proposal team which was successful in bagging the largest Onshore Modularization Award (100 Mn$ plus)
5. Worked as a CID ( Championing Icon in Department) for the annual festival ICONS of the firm. Worked towards encouraging teams to nominate themselves for their recoginition of outstanding work performed by them throughout the financial year.

• UG College:
1. Served as the General Secretary of Students' Council Body during my third year of UG and successfully organized various events ranging from Cultural to Technical to Sports.
2. Worked as the Training and Placement Coordinator with the TPO during the final year
3. Was a recipient of Ratan Tata trust scholarship during one of the years at UG for securing first rank across all 3 branches of engineering.
4. Apart from above, organized and volunteered for other activities like Blood Donations camps during the first and second year.

• Before UG:
3. Completed Rajya Puraskar (State level) level in Bharat Scouts and Guides in 2009.

• Hobbies:

• Post MBA goals:
Management Consulting and then in the long term move on to Renewable Energy Consulting

P.S. I've done the financing of my entire education from 11th till Final year UG via scholarship.
The scholarship required good academic performance every year for it to continue for the next year.

MBAkarma ISBeacon CrackAdmission PSUTOPRIVATE MananS4G

Can you please help me evaluate my profile ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Prince,

Here's my analysis of your application:

Work- interesting work. It seems analytical and that can be pointed out through your Resume and recommendation. Are you also involved in the presentation of your proposals to the clients, and are these clients the MNCs and global clients that you talked about? A client-facing role will be a plus point and should be highlighted in the application.

Your work-related ECAs are pretty decent. Are you also involved in ECAs outside of work? That will be an additional point to add to your resume.

Goals- I didn't quite get why renewable energy is a long term goal? If its something that you are passionate about today then you should be working in that space now, whether it is through consulting or through joining a company with a focus on renewable energy.

Now comes the challenge- the GMAT score. You will simply need to improve this. Think of a 700+
On the whole, your profile is good and I believe it is only the GMAT score that can play a spoiler in your MBA plans. I hope you are thinking about a retake

PrinceJ wrote:
Hello,

10th 94.36%
12th 93.33%

• Work Related

• UG College:

• Before UG:

• Hobbies:

• Post MBA goals:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Dear PrinceJ,

Here is an evaluation of your profile from our end.

GMAT: Lower than average

Academics: Good ; The fact that you graduated from a non IIT non-NIT college could set you back a tad bit. However, you are financing your education from 11th to Final year UG is a definite plus and make sure to emphasize that in your application.

Work Experience: Average; Direct client handling, experience of negotiating million-dollar deals, vendor management, competitive analysis, risk mitigation seems to be the key highlights of your work. However, I don’t see a lot of team management (mentoring 2 new joiners doesn’t actually count as leadership) and leadership in what you have mentioned about your work. You seem to come across more like a one-man army.

Extracurriculars: Average; usually, 'organizing events in college' is the most common extracurricular activity among most applicants. However, your love for cooking and meditation seem interesting and you could talk about them as the adcom loves applicants who are dynamic and multifaceted. Make sure to highlight why you have taken up these hobbies and how have they influenced your personality. Apart from that, the other extracurricular activities, both in college and in the workspace either seem dated or not potent enough to add to your candidature.

Post MBA goals: Please be specific in mentioning why a career in management consulting fascinates you and what skillsets you have already built in your career due to which you feel that a career in consulting is a natural extension for you. Also, while mentioning management consulting pin point a vertical / industry where you would want to start working in and why (it can be very well energy – helping organizations in the sector transition their capacity from non-renewables to renewables..).

Note: Mckinsey, BCG, AT Kearney all look at your GMAT score while making the final decision to recruit you. So it will be much safer for you if you say working in a firm such as Accenture/ Deloitte or a boutique consulting firm as your career goal so that the ad com knows you are realistic about your expectations. In case you can bump your score to >700, you can very well go with the previous options.

Wish you all the best and reach out to us in case you need personalized guidance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS
Send PM
Hi, I'm 22F in final year and considering applying for ISB through their EEO/YLP. Would love to get an independent evaluation!

10th 85%
12th 76%
BTech IT - 3.1/4, private uni in Mumbai,
MBA in Tech Management, same GPA with a specialization in finance and minor in business intelligence and analytics
GMAT - targeting 700+

Workex- 1.5-2 years tech consulting at one of the big 4s in India, 6 months of interning doing web dev and data analytics for a digital payment solutions provider

Achievements/Extra Curricular/Co curricular: Served as HOD for my college society, lots of impact metrics, served as a general secretary+president for an event, generated great value, participated and won in over 60 MUNs across India, played basketball throughout school and first 2 years of uni

Hobbies: Reading about tech+business, Model UN, documentaries

Post MBA goals: Corporate finance in tech, DeFi, sustainable finance and my fallback is strat consulting at MBB

I know a massive question that arises here is why another MBA (I really hope ISB allows one), this one didn't allow me to network and because I had no work ex I could not leverage all the management know-how well! Also, COVID wreaked havoc at a crucial time. My grades have been awful but it's gotten progressively better with time and I'm going to cross 3. I'm really personable and great at marketing myself, I know I can kill it in my essays and narrative. Do I stand a chance here?
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello PrinceJ

The work and extracurricular profile is good.
The GMAT is low and career goals need to be thought through.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

PrinceJ wrote:
Hello,

10th 94.36%
12th 93.33%

• Work Related

• UG College:

• Before UG:

• Hobbies:

• Post MBA goals:

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
manikmehta95 wrote:
Hey,

Please review my profile.

I am a 26yr old Indian Male candidate.

Academics:
10th: 85.5%
12th: 86%
U.G: Mechatronics engineering, Thapar university. 7.1/10 CGPA.

Work Experience: (Total: 4years to Present)
1. Tetra Pak (4 yrs to present): Joined Tetra Pak under a Future Talent programme as a Field service engineer.
Till now worked with companies like Amul, Coca-Cola, Dabur, Parle and various regional dairies by providing them critical support and making sure their operations are lean and able to deliver the promised quality.
Worked and promoted the use of future technologies like Hololens for augmented reality solutions to engineers +customers and predictive maintenance using industry 4.0 solutions.

2. Part of Cases over coffee global fellowship program November cohort: work along with MBB consultants on their real problem and support them in the solutions they are providing to their clients.

Awards and achievements:
1. Recognition for first 90ml packaging in the world commissioned in India for a new dairy alternative segment. With a business capability upwards of 400cr yearly.
2. Recognised in South Asian market as a proponent of worker safety awareness by clusters Leaders.

Extra curriculars:
1. State level basketball (U-19)
2. Pre-national level 10m Air Rifle shooter.
3. Participated in various formula student competition in college.

Purpose for ISB:
1. Want to shift into strategy consulting and technology consulting.

Thank you!

Hey manikmehta95!

To begin with, I must acknowledge the fact that you have remarkable achievements and accolades earned during your professional career, which can be the major highlight of your profile. Having said that, coming to your academics, your undergraduate GPA of 7.1 is certainly on the average front. However, I would like to clarify that for the MBA program more emphasis is laid on the GMAT score to assess your academic abilities. Thus you can easily overshadow your undergrad GPA with a strong GMAT score of 700+.

As for the work experience, 4 years of experience sets you comfortable for the MBA program. Furthermore, having notable recognition and achievements along with a decent brand name all work in your favour. However, here you should be cognizant of the fact that you will be competing with applicants hailing from much bigger brands like KPMG, Deloitte and EY. Thus, it becomes imperative that you talk about the major projects worked on, the values you have added and the learnings from these experiences. Moreover, to further strengthen your profile, you should mention how you went above and beyond your role and bring to light any quantifiable impacts created during these experiences.

As for the extracurricular activities, they are also an important aspect of your profile since they demonstrate varied skills and talents under your belt. However, the majority of your extracurricular accomplishments date back to college and high school, and it has been more than four years since you graduated. Here, you must note that Business Schools are more interested in your recent accomplishments and thus, it is critical to shedding light on your latest endeavours. Here you can talk about any CSR activities carried out by your organization or your association with any non-profit organization. You can expand on this by including any certification courses to demonstrate that you are constantly upgrading yourself.

Coming to the school that you are targeting, based on the information you've provided, ISB will fall under the Dream Category with a 40-50% chance of acceptance.

All things considered, in order to increase your chances of getting admitted to this school, you would need to ensure that you have a very strong application that highlights your strengths and overshadows your weaknesses. You need to showcase your journey, what makes you different from your peers, and how you are a great value addition to the school.

Therefore, in lieu of that, I would recommend you to check out our flagship ALL-IN-ONE service, which has helped 5000+ applicants get into their dream schools. You would also be entitled to end-to-end consulting combined with unlimited edits on your application documents. Not only this, you’d be consulted by a B-school alumnus who’d be helping you directly with your application process, right from finalising the right schools and submitting an impactful application to the school to preparing you for the interview and bagging scholarships!

Link to our All-In-One Solution-

https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 161
Schools: ISB '20
Send PM
Hi

10th 84%
12th 90 %
Graduation 78.1%
GRE 324
Designation:- Business Analyst (2 years)
Domain:- Energy domain
Previous experience is at Amazon for 2 years
Gap 1 year
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Hi , 25 Year old male.

GMAT -700

Work experience : 3.5 years in Quality and New product development in a leading automobile firm in India.

Have taken up significant organisational level position of responsibilities.

Academic :

Graduation - Mechanical -8.05 Cgpa
Intermediate - 90.8
High school - 10 Cgpa

Undergraduate project selected under 40 most innovative projects in uttar pradesh by Council of science and tech.

Extra curricular

1) Captain of functional cricket tea at the organisation sponsored championship.

2) State level U-19 table tennis player - School

3) First runner up - Business simulation games organised by AIMa at organisational level

4) Organised employee engagement activities for a global event at organisation.

5) Led the marketing and promotion team for college annual fest.

6) Bike riding enthusiast: completed a 2000km offroad bike riding trip.

7) Gold medalist at Judo karate interschool championship at district level.

Volunteer

Working with CSR team at the organisation for child education

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Hi , 25 Year old male.

GMAT -700

Work experience : 3.5 years in Quality and New product development in a leading automobile firm in India.

Academic :

Intermediate - 90.8
High school - 10 Cgpa

Undergraduate project selected under 40 most innovative projects in uttar pradesh by Council of science and tech.

Extra curricular

1) Captain of functional cricket tea at the organisation sponsored championship.

3) First runner up - Business simulation games organised by AIMa at organisational level

Volunteer

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Hi,

I am applying to ISB Round 2. It would be very helpful if someone can provide feedback on my profile and how it can be strengthened.

Below are my credentials and thank you in advance.

GMAT: 680 (V32 Q50 IR6)

Graduation: IIT Gandhinagar (Btech Chemical Engineering, CGPA: 8.20/10,Passing Year: 2017)

10th: 9.2/10 CGPA

12th: 87.6 %

Work Experience: 4.5 years

Industry: Pharma

Job Profile:Sales & Marketing- 2 years
Chemical Procurement & Contract Manufacturing - 2.5 years

Significant Achievements: Deans list awardee, cleared maths olympiad, alongside Btech completed a minor in management studies.

Post MBA Goals: Strategy, Supply Chain Management, consulting

Let me know if any additional information required.

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello hk2507

Your profile is a mixed bag.
The good- IIT brand, strong past scores, academic achievements worth talking about.
The not so good- GMAT not commensurate with your past scores or background. Will make it difficult for you to stand out. Career goals seem all over the place with 3 different directions mentioned. Need to build clarity of thought here.
The missing- No mention of career trajectory or work related achievements. This, along with your career goals will be key in your essays and final selection. No talk of any extracurricular either.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

hk2507 wrote:
Hi,

I am applying to ISB Round 2. It would be very helpful if someone can provide feedback on my profile and how it can be strengthened.

Graduation: IIT Gandhinagar (Btech Chemical Engineering, CGPA: 8.20/10,Passing Year: 2017)

Significant Achievements: Deans list awardee, cleared maths olympiad, alongside Btech completed a minor in management studies.

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello VigneshKrisz

The info shared is limited to give a comprehensive feedback.
While the academic stats are average, very little to go by on Work experience (lack info on career progress, achievements, reason for gap year etc.) or diversity (lack info on graduation degree, university, any extracurricular) or career goals.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

VigneshKrisz wrote:
Hi

10th 84%
12th 90 %
Graduation 78.1%
GRE 324
Designation:- Business Analyst (2 years)
Domain:- Energy domain
Previous experience is at Amazon for 2 years
Gap 1 year
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Tanishk1234

Work profile looks good and combined with extracurricular will help you stand out.
What are your career goals though?

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

Tanishk1234 wrote:
Hi , 25 Year old male.

GMAT -700

Academic :

Intermediate - 90.8
High school - 10 Cgpa

Extra curricular

Volunteer

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
hk2507 wrote:
Hi,

Hello applicant,

Below is an evaluation of your profile from our end:

GMAT: Average.

ACADEMICS: Good. Hailing from IIT and holding a B. Tech degree certainly adds to your candidature, to add to that you seem like a bright student with your academic scores.

WORK EXPERIENCE: Average. Not sure of the linkage between your past work experience and your future career goals. Clarity of thought regarding your future and a logical linkage between your past experiences and your future goals is a prerequisite before applying anywhere. We suggest you to work on that.

EXTRA CURRICULARS: No mention of extra curricular activities. Even though you have mentioned achievements like being a Deans list awardee and clearing the Maths Olympiad, none of these show what you are passionate about- perhaps sports, music, art, writeups, etc. You have to mention extra curricular activities in the workplace and if you have any significant leadership experience in your 4.5 years of work experience as well.

Apart from it all, we would suggest you to retake the GMAT and try to increase your score by at least 30 points. Rest, a stellar application- essay, LORs and resume can handle.

Wish you all the best and reach out to us in case you need personalized guidance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Send PM