GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 03:01
SamratGanguly wrote:
Hi Team

My academic records as follows
10th 74% (CBSE)
Active member of Quiz and Debate club

12th 92%(Andra Pradesh board)
Was active members in Quiz clubs and has multiple award

B-Tech in Electronics and Telecom Eng - 8.75 CGPA)
Leadership roles- Class Representative and Seminar Secretary
Headed Organising committee of events at college

Work ex- 9 yrs in IT
Have multiple client and company appreciation
Consistently performed and have among the top Band Employee
Have played roles of Team Lead (managing 10 members)
Project leads of small/moderate size project ($120 k to $150 k)
Backup lead with large project(>$ 450 k).
Worked in Pre-Sales roles

Active member in Toastmaster club
And NGOs with which my company is associated with

Planning for ISB and targeting 710.

NB. I have not taken any onsite roles due to parent health concern.

What is my chance in ISB and will my no onsite exposure be a bottle neck?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Hi Samrat,
I think you have a well rounded profile. Good work ex, strong undergrad gpa, active involvement in community. And if you score a 700+ on your GMAT, you have a good chance of getting into ISB. I don't think having no on site experience goes negatively on your profile. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best,

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 03:16
EduSimplified wrote:
jwalantudesai wrote:
Hi All,

I have 13 years of experience. Currently working as Business Development Manager in Telecom.
I have done undergrads in Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) from University of Mumbai in 2004.
What GMAT score should suffice for my profile.

Please guide.
Regards,

Hi Jwalant,
With 13 years of work ex you should target PGPMAX. It is aimed at senior management folks and doesn't require GMAT. The average work ex for PGPMAX is 16 years. You will be slightly below average but it should be a good fit for you. If you plan to pursue the regular PGP then I suggest you get around 680 atleast in your GMAT. Hope this helps.

Best,

Hi Deep,

Thank you for your kind help.
However, I am aiming at regular 1 year MBA program and PGPMAX is modular format.
The juncture of my career at which I am currently, requires me to aim for 1 year full time and not modular one.
Will aim for 680, as you have advised for regular PGP ISB program.

Regards
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 07:07
jwalantudesai wrote:
Hi All,

I have 13 years of experience. Currently working as Business Development Manager in Telecom.
I have done undergrads in Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) from University of Mumbai in 2004.

Please guide.
Regards,

Hi jwalantudesai,

ISB has a select few applicants with 10+ years work experience in their regular PGP class. The challenges you will face as an applicant or rather the areas you must take care of, in your application are:
1. demonstrate your leadership skills and above average career growth. Basically prove that you are a rock star and the reason you did not do an MBA until now is because you had a great career growth and did not require an MBA.
2. Demonstrate clarity in career goals and make a clear case for why you need an MBA. Also address why you need it now (we touched upon this in point 1 as well, this is important).
3. Show how will you contribute to ISB as a senior class mate
4. Give subtle comfort to the adcom that you are not coming to ISB for recruitment but for knowledge and skill enhancement. At your age and career stage, they would expect you to have the requisite network to find yourself a job, should the b-school not be able to find you one.

ISB's average GMAT score is 706 and its good to get a score around this figure. However, your application will be viewed in entirety and a lower GMAT score will not keep you out of the race just as a super high score (750+) will not guarantee an admission.

Hope this helps.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 07:31
EduSimplified wrote:
jwalantudesai wrote:
Hi All,

Please guide.
Regards,

Hi Jwalant,
With 13 years of work ex you should target PGPMAX. It is aimed at senior management folks and doesn't require GMAT. The average work ex for PGPMAX is 16 years. You will be slightly below average but it should be a good fit for you. If you plan to pursue the regular PGP then I suggest you get around 680 atleast in your GMAT. Hope this helps.

Best,

Dear,

Thanks for your prompt response.
However, I am at such a juncture of my career that only full time MBA will help to achieve what I am aiming.
I am at Manager level as business development manager in telecom company. I started as installation engineer and have reached to this profile only with engineering degree.
Looking forward for your advice in full time MBA colleges and scores required for the same.

Regards

Posted from my mobile device
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 08:27
SamratGanguly wrote:
Hi Team

My academic records as follows
10th 74% (CBSE)
Active member of Quiz and Debate club

12th 92%(Andra Pradesh board)
Was active members in Quiz clubs and has multiple award

B-Tech in Electronics and Telecom Eng - 8.75 CGPA)
Leadership roles- Class Representative and Seminar Secretary
Headed Organising committee of events at college

Work ex- 9 yrs in IT
Have multiple client and company appreciation
Consistently performed and have among the top Band Employee
Have played roles of Team Lead (managing 10 members)
Project leads of small/moderate size project ($120 k to $150 k)
Backup lead with large project(>$ 450 k).
Worked in Pre-Sales roles

Active member in Toastmaster club
And NGOs with which my company is associated with

Planning for ISB and targeting 710.

NB. I have not taken any onsite roles due to parent health concern.

What is my chance in ISB and will my no onsite exposure be a bottle neck?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Hi Samrat,

Just for your knowledge, any business school will be more interested in knowing your career progress and achievements. The extra curricular activities are great to have but they are not a requirement.
Your applications should focus on a few key things:
1. your career progress, leadership at work, your achievements and impact
2. clear career goals and the need for an MBA from ISB at this point in your career.

The lack of onsite experience is not going to hurt at ISB. However do focus your application on your other strengths, which should be around your leadership capabilities.

Namita Garg,

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 10:01
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile...

GMAT score: Yet to Appear

Academics:
Btech (Electronics and Comm Engg) from PTU.
Degree: 74%
10th : 78 %
12th: 68%

Age 31, Male.
Working EXP: 8 years Working in IT Industry.

Target Colleges: ISB, IIMs and US colleges.

** What GMAT Score should I be targeting to get through? **

Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 11:05
Hi Experts

I gave my 2nd attempt of gmat today and got a 640 (q49,v28).

I am an Indian female with about 6 yrs of exp in IT Software, worked with two companies , TCS and Accenture. I have been doing great at job with lot of best employee awards and extra curricular activities like participating in quizzes, rangoli art competitions etc. I was also the HR spoc for my project and arranged events like picnic for about 100 people, quarterly awards for best performance etc.

My academics are also good like in
-10th, 89.8%, (Merit student certificate from CBSE)
-12th, 89.6% (Amul vidyabhushan award)
-B tech in electrical n electronics , 85% (gold medallist, branch topper) CGPA : 9.24
I was engaged in lot of extra curricular activities at school also like painting and essay writing competitions etc.

What are my chances in IIMs or ISB ? or can you suggest what are the best schools for me both in India and US? I am looking for a functional shift in my role and an MBA In information systems.

Thanks in advance.
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 11:40
msonnie17 wrote:
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile...

GMAT score: Yet to Appear

Academics:
Btech (Electronics and Comm Engg) from PTU.
Degree: 74%
10th : 78 %
12th: 68%

Age 31, Male.
Working EXP: 8 years Working in IT Industry.

Target Colleges: ISB, IIMs and US colleges.

** What GMAT Score should I be targeting to get through? **

A score close to the class average GMAT score (706) is always beneficial. That said, the MBA application is viewed holistically and your acads, work experience, extra curricular activities, essays and recommendation- all matter.

So aim for the best GMAT score you can get and submit an application that is competitive on all fronts.

Namita Garg,

P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 11:45
mrinal0308 wrote:
Hi Experts

I am an Indian female with about 6 yrs of exp in IT Software, worked with two companies , TCS and Accenture. I have been doing great at job with lot of best employee awards and extra curricular activities like participating in quizzes, rangoli art competitions etc. I was also the HR spoc for my project and arranged events like picnic for about 100 people, quarterly awards for best performance etc.

What were your work related achievements? An MBA is a professional degree and you are evaluated for your career progress and work related achievements. Extra curricular activities have importance, but not as much as work related achievements. You see to have reversed their priority.

Also, it will be worthwhile to retake the GMAT. You have to have an exceptional profile to expect a positive result with your GMAT score

Namita Garg,

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 11:06
MBADecoder wrote:
mrinal0308 wrote:
Hi Experts

What were your work related achievements? An MBA is a professional degree and you are evaluated for your career progress and work related achievements. Extra curricular activities have importance, but not as much as work related achievements. You see to have reversed their priority.

Also, it will be worthwhile to retake the GMAT. You have to have an exceptional profile to expect a positive result with your GMAT score

As I mentioned, I have received several awards for Best employee of the month and team rewards for resolving complex issues in the application, lot appreciations for client satisfaction.

Does that increase my chances of a good MBA program? Can you suggest any programs/schools for me? I do have strong acads but i know the GMAT is pushing me back.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q36 V49
GPA: 3.56
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 00:05
Hi Experts,
Please review my profile.

Bacherlors - BCA with 78%
Masters - MSc from Symbiosis with 3.25 GPA

Work Ex - 3 years as Developer for a large product based company. promoted once. Salary incremented thrice. Also, was sent to client side abroad for 3 months.
1 year as Data analyst for a no-name startup.

GMAT - 740

Extra curriculars - represented my college(during bachelors) in debates and poetry competitions at University level.

Do i stand a chance to get into ISB? I know competition is tough. Thanks in advance, kind souls.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 01:48
Hi,
Please evaluate my profile and help me set a GMAT target.
10th(CBSE)=9.4/10
12th=94.6%
Engineering from Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore 8.27/10(CGPA)
Worked as a Research Intern with TCS Nozomi Embedded Labs
Presently working as Program Analyst with Cognizant
Worked as President of Science and Innovation club in college.

I am basically looking at SP Jain Mumbai and ISB(early entry program)..Also please suggest ways to build my profile.(I know it's kind of below par).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 02:38
sjacob7 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Work Ex - 3 years as Developer for a large product based company. promoted once. Salary incremented thrice. Also, was sent to client side abroad for 3 months.

GMAT - 740

Extra curriculars - represented my college(during bachelors) in debates and poetry competitions at University level.

Do i stand a chance to get into ISB? I know competition is tough. Thanks in advance, kind souls.

Hi sjacob7,

Academically, you are on good footing. A 740 in GMAT is definitely exceptional. Few thoughts:

#1 In terms of work experience, working as a developer may cast a shadow on your achievements. You will need to think deeper to identify examples and strengths that exhibit leadership potential.
#2 Dig deeper into your profile: Taking initiatives, working in a team, leading a team, working with client, international exposure on the client side- all these should add value and reason to why you want to move from tech to business.
#3 The extracurriculars seem a little out-of-date too. Is there any activity that you are involved with currently or are passionate about, that would make your profile an all-rounder?
Answers to #2 and #3 will define the course of your application. Our recommendation is to introspect and build clear articulate essays on your strengths, to differentiate yourself in the super-competitive IT pool.

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 02:43
bharadwajpraneeth@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
Please evaluate my profile and help me set a GMAT target.
10th(CBSE)=9.4/10
12th=94.6%
Engineering from Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore 8.27/10(CGPA)
Worked as a Research Intern with TCS Nozomi Embedded Labs
Presently working as Program Analyst with Cognizant
Worked as President of Science and Innovation club in college.

I am basically looking at SP Jain Mumbai and ISB(early entry program)..Also please suggest ways to build my profile.(I know it's kind of below par).

Hi there!

The ISB EEO evaluates your potential to be a good leader. Therefore, your application and candidature should clearly reflect your personality, your goals and expectations. Since you have do not have a lot of work-experience, you should be able to use a mix of attributes from under-graduation, extracurriculars and examples from work (wherever possible) to showcase these.

While you have sound academics so far, a higher GMAT would always boost your chances. We recommend you aim for a GMAT of 720+ which will make your profile more competitive. We also think you should also work on building extra-curriculars at your place of work/beyond work. This will help you build a better story.

Feel free to reach out in case of queries.

Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q36 V49
GPA: 3.56
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 03:33
Apphelp wrote:
sjacob7 wrote:
Hi Experts,

GMAT - 740

Hi sjacob7,

Academically, you are on good footing. A 740 in GMAT is definitely exceptional. Few thoughts:

#1 In terms of work experience, working as a developer may cast a shadow on your achievements. You will need to think deeper to identify examples and strengths that exhibit leadership potential.
#2 Dig deeper into your profile: Taking initiatives, working in a team, leading a team, working with client, international exposure on the client side- all these should add value and reason to why you want to move from tech to business.
#3 The extracurriculars seem a little out-of-date too. Is there any activity that you are involved with currently or are passionate about, that would make your profile an all-rounder?
Answers to #2 and #3 will define the course of your application. Our recommendation is to introspect and build clear articulate essays on your strengths, to differentiate yourself in the super-competitive IT pool.

Thank you for your response!
For #2, yes, I do have client side exposure abroad. I was in charge of the whole project. This included meeting with clients' business folks, working with different vendors of the clients as well as their own in house tech team etc. Apart from this, I ideated and led the development of a new tech tool.
As for #3, I was in charge of placements whilst in Post grad and also head of the content team. I love writing, and I've made some money writing articles for an American photography website. Plus I also write poems.

Does any of this count?(I know it's not much, but this is all I have :( )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 04:08
sjacob7 wrote:
Apphelp wrote:
sjacob7 wrote:
Hi Experts,

GMAT - 740

Hi sjacob7,

Thank you! For #2, Yup. Client side exposure abroad, was in charge of the whole project. Apart from this ideated and led the development of a new tech tool.
As for #3, I was in charge of placements whilst in Post grad and also head of the content team. I love writing, and i've made some money writing articles for an American photography website. Plus I also write poems.

Does any of this count?(that's all I can think of!)

Hi sjacob7,

Definitely counts! We think you have the necessary ingredients for a good application. Both your project lead stints and writing skills can be weaved into the larger MBA story. The clarity of your application and how you map your achievements and strengths to goals will see you through!

A detailed discussion would be helpful in structuring your application, please feel free to call us on 91 9871354580 or email your resume to info@apphelp.co.in.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Aug 2017, 05:17
[redacted]

Originally posted by atulsunilanand on 28 Jun 2017, 04:16.
Last edited by atulsunilanand on 13 Aug 2017, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 19:25
Hi Guys,

I'm a Sr. Engineer in an Energy Sector PSU (BHEL). My acads are given below

10th : 80%
HS : 69.6% (Low score due to a personal tragedy)
B.Tech EEE : 77%

Work-ex :

13 Months in IBM
2009 - present in BHEL (8+years)

I haven't given my GMAT yet, but have scored upwards of 98%ile in CAT two times a couple of years back. Expecting 710+ in GMAT

Have a good track record at work, handling several critical projects single-handedly.

Not too many ECA to speak of, but have varied interests like software dev, electronics design, etc. Have done a few projects in the same.

My goal is to go into operations management and eventually start a company in the manufacturing field.

Do I have any chances in ISB??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 08:09
atulsunilanand wrote:
Hi,

Work experience: 2 years as a Deputy Superintendent of Police/Company Commander in the CRPF, leading a team of 135 jawans and subordinate officers in our fight against naxals. Before that, I spent a year as a an Analyst at Fractal Analytics.

Would my paramilitary experience be seen as a positive in ISB admissions or do they prefer the normal IT/consulting crowd?

Other relevant details:
GMAT: 740
B.E. in Mechanical from BITS-Pilani (with a really pathetic CGPA)
10th and 12th: above 90%
Extra-curriculars are good since I get to experience a great variety of things through my job.

Another question: It would be great if someone can point out some international MBAs programs that can would value my experience in their admission process.

Hi atulsunilanand,

Your profile is a true example of diversity, the one that is well-valued at B-schools. And we're sure you will have a lot of leadership examples up your sleeve too! So to answer your question, your paramilitary experience would definitely be seen as a plus and a definite advantage over an IT/Consulting profile.

A GMAT of 740 is good too, and it makes up for an average/below-average GPA. With decent extra-curriculars, we think you have a great chance.
The key to your admission would now be how well you write your essays and showcase your profile. Can you identify clear career goals that are linked to your strengths and achievements? Why do you want to leave the CRPF in 2 years? We think that you should speak to alumni who come from a similar background and therefore understand your profile and then proceed to write a stellar application.

In terms of other B-schools, we think you should try our free B-school selector here that will help you choose B-schools apt for your profile.

Look forward to a detailed discussion.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 08:25
vvrkumar wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm a Sr. Engineer in an Energy Sector PSU (BHEL). My acads are given below

10th : 80%
HS : 69.6% (Low score due to a personal tragedy)
B.Tech EEE : 77%

Work-ex :

13 Months in IBM
2009 - present in BHEL (8+years)

I haven't given my GMAT yet, but have scored upwards of 98%ile in CAT two times a couple of years back. Expecting 710+ in GMAT

Have a good track record at work, handling several critical projects single-handedly.

Not too many ECA to speak of, but have varied interests like software dev, electronics design, etc. Have done a few projects in the same.

My goal is to go into operations management and eventually start a company in the manufacturing field.

Do I have any chances in ISB??

Hi vvrkumar,

With 9+ years of work-experience (if we understand correctly), you would belong to the higher work experience category. The professional experience will weigh in more than the any other component in your candidature. We feel that we will need more information for a fair evaluation: do you lead a team? do you have managerial experience? have you been able to make a business impact?
On academics, a score of 710 should be okay, though your previous academics are on the lower side. The ECA seem a little too technical. In fact, our concern is that your profile may be inclined towards the technical rather than the leadership side. A good balance of both would be important to get through ISB.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed evaluation.

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2017, 08:25

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  38   39   40   41   42  ...  107    Next  [ 2122 posts ] 

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap