It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 51

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 10:34
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mrinal0308 wrote:

As I mentioned, I have received several awards for Best employee of the month and team rewards for resolving complex issues in the application, lot appreciations for client satisfaction.

Does that increase my chances of a good MBA program? Can you suggest any programs/schools for me? I do have strong acads but i know the GMAT is pushing me back.

Hi Mrinal,

It definitely helps if you have made an impact on your organization/ on client or have several achievements to your name. They should be highlighted in the right light in the application.

There are a wide range of business schools across the world. Your GMAT score will be considered low at the top 30-40 international colleges, but you could still apply to several other programs. So it really depends on where you want to do an MBA - based on that you can apply with this score or retake.

I'd need to understand this better before I make any suggestions to you. You can reach out to me through PM or at contactMBADecoder, should you wish to set up a consultation call (no costs).

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 10:54
atulsunilanand wrote:
Hi,

Work experience: 2 years as a Deputy Superintendent of Police/Company Commander in the CRPF, leading a team of 135 jawans and subordinate officers in our fight against naxals. Before that, I spent a year as a an Analyst at Fractal Analytics.

Would my paramilitary experience be seen as a positive in ISB admissions or do they prefer the normal IT/consulting crowd?

Other relevant details:
GMAT: 740
B.E. in Mechanical from BITS-Pilani (with a really pathetic CGPA)
10th and 12th: above 90%
Extra-curriculars are good since I get to experience a great variety of things through my job.

Another question: It would be great if someone can point out some international MBAs programs that can would value my experience in their admission process.

Atul,

Your kind of profile with military/ police experience is highly valued by business schools for the kind of leadership experiences you guys have, your ability to think on your feet and solve problems.
My concern right now is, why do you want to do an MBA and what do you wish to do after MBA? Most people use their MBA to pivot a career change. Is that on your mind as well? If yes, this is where I see the problems : business schools would want to understand why you quit your corporate job to join the police force and why do you wish to quit that now? Two many unrelated jumps in a short period are always a cause for concern on your post MBA employability- and that's a significant factor for business schools even at the time of admissions.
If you want to stay in your current or similar job and want an MBA to accelerate your career growth (do illuminate, as I am not aware of this option in your case), then justifying the MBA is a lot more easier.

Regarding your second question about international MBA programs, first I need to understand what are your career goals and why do you want to do an MBA?

Namita Garg,
+91 9901566772

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 17:36
Apphelp wrote:
vvrkumar wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm a Sr. Engineer in an Energy Sector PSU (BHEL). My acads are given below

10th : 80%
HS : 69.6% (Low score due to a personal tragedy)
B.Tech EEE : 77%

Work-ex :

13 Months in IBM
2009 - present in BHEL (8+years)

I haven't given my GMAT yet, but have scored upwards of 98%ile in CAT two times a couple of years back. Expecting 710+ in GMAT

Have a good track record at work, handling several critical projects single-handedly.

Not too many ECA to speak of, but have varied interests like software dev, electronics design, etc. Have done a few projects in the same.

My goal is to go into operations management and eventually start a company in the manufacturing field.

Do I have any chances in ISB??

Hi vvrkumar,

With 9+ years of work-experience (if we understand correctly), you would belong to the higher work experience category. The professional experience will weigh in more than the any other component in your candidature. We feel that we will need more information for a fair evaluation: do you lead a team? do you have managerial experience? have you been able to make a business impact?
On academics, a score of 710 should be okay, though your previous academics are on the lower side. The ECA seem a little too technical. In fact, our concern is that your profile may be inclined towards the technical rather than the leadership side. A good balance of both would be important to get through ISB.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed evaluation.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I have lead several business critical projects at my work ranging from engineering systems setup to software development, during which I have lead internal and external teams.

I am responsible for a few workers and executives internally. My day to day work involves looking after the operations of my dept. (Performance testing of heavy duty power plant equipment). I have to face external customers daily as part of my work. I have lead and undertaken three critical projects in the area of mechanical engineering (Im an electrical engineer) with help of executives under me.

I agree that the scope for managerial work is limited in a PSU.

Additionally I have started a family business (Stationery store), and brought up its turnover from 60,000 to 12,00,000 Rs. P.A. I started the business in 2013. Presently I am planning to move into new areas for growth. Does that experience help? I was in charge of setup, procurement, pricing etc of all the material. My brother managed day to day operations.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 23:42
Hi,

Needed realistic idea about possible B-schools international I could apply to. Interested in Insead, LBS, ISB.

24 years old Indian female Chartered Accountant. GMAT - 750, 10th - 92.46%, 12th 83.67%, Bcom - NM College (GPA 5.76/7 - pretty low)

Total work exp of 5 years (of this 3 years CA internship)

First 4 years of work with - Ernst & Young Tax - Financial Services sector (Mumbai) (of this 3 years were CA articleship, mandatory requirement of the CA course)
In these 4 years: Done Tax Advisory (GAAR, PE exposure, international tax) and Indian Compliance work for large MNC banks, NBFCs and insurance companies

1 year in Ernst & Young Consulting - FS
Post these 4 years in EY Tax, I took a transfer to the Consulting team of Ernst & Young (Financial services sector)
In this last 1 year I've worked on 2 key projects
1) A Transformation Project for public sector banks in Bangladesh funded by the World Bank and involved travel to Dhaka for approx 1.5 months
2) PMO role in a large Core Banking Transformation

I do not great Extra Curriculars except participation in some one off initiatives and lots in school/ college days which wont matter i believe.

I'm looking for Consulting/ finance roles post an MBA.

Post CA my work exp is only 2 years. Im not sure if 3 years of CA Internship can be counted in work exp.

Would you recommend working for another year in Fintech startup or another similar set-up to further build my resume or can i apply this year for first round.

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 00:18
khushalipk wrote:
Hi,

Needed realistic idea about possible B-schools international I could apply to. Interested in Insead, LBS, ISB.

24 years old Indian female Chartered Accountant. GMAT - 750, 10th - 92.46%, 12th 83.67%, Bcom - NM College (GPA 5.76/7 - pretty low)

First 4 years of work with - Ernst & Young Tax - Financial Services sector (Mumbai) (of this 3 years were CA articleship, mandatory requirement of the CA course)
In these 4 years: Done Tax Advisory (GAAR, PE exposure, international tax) and Indian Compliance work for large MNC banks, NBFCs and insurance companies

Post these 4 years in EY Tax, I took a transfer to the Consulting team of Ernst & Young (Financial services sector)
1) A Transformation Project for public sector banks in Bangladesh funded by the World Bank and involved travel to Dhaka for approx 1.5 months

I do not great Extra Curriculars except participation in some one off initiatives and lots in school/ college days which wont matter i believe.

Post CA my work exp is only 2 years. Im not sure if 3 years of CA Internship can be counted in work exp.

Would you recommend working for another year in Fintech startup or another similar set-up to further build my resume or can i apply this year for first round.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I don't think adding another year to your resume or working in a start up will help your already very good profile.
I think you have an excellent profile for getting into INSEAD, Said or ISB. You have a good brand on your resume. You're a CA. Excellent GMAT score offsets your undergrad GPA. You need to work a little bit on your extra curricular and community service part rest I don't see any deficiency.

To answer your question: Yes your article ship will be counted in your full time work ex and there's nothing you need to worry about there. Just prepare a stellar application and go ahead. Hope this helps.

Best,

Deep A.

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 00:25
msonnie17 wrote:
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile...

GMAT score: Yet to Appear

Academics:
Btech (Electronics and Comm Engg) from PTU.
Degree: 74%
10th : 78 %
12th: 68%

Age 31, Male.
Working EXP: 8 years Working in IT Industry.

Target Colleges: ISB, IIMs and US colleges.

** What GMAT Score should I be targeting to get through? **

Hi MSonnie,

You belong to an over represented pool of application. Hence, the focus on your GMAT is heavy. But at the same time you are on the upper limit of work ex and age. This may give you some comfort on GMAT score provided you have a good career progression and leadership experience. However, as a general rule of thumb you should aim for the average GMAT score of your target school. A little higher if you're looking for scholarships.

Best,

Deep A.

Deep A.

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 00:46
vvrkumar wrote:
Apphelp wrote:
vvrkumar wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm a Sr. Engineer in an Energy Sector PSU (BHEL). My acads are given below

10th : 80%
HS : 69.6% (Low score due to a personal tragedy)
B.Tech EEE : 77%

Work-ex :

13 Months in IBM
2009 - present in BHEL (8+years)

I haven't given my GMAT yet, but have scored upwards of 98%ile in CAT two times a couple of years back. Expecting 710+ in GMAT

Have a good track record at work, handling several critical projects single-handedly.

Not too many ECA to speak of, but have varied interests like software dev, electronics design, etc. Have done a few projects in the same.

My goal is to go into operations management and eventually start a company in the manufacturing field.

Do I have any chances in ISB??

Hi vvrkumar,

With 9+ years of work-experience (if we understand correctly), you would belong to the higher work experience category. The professional experience will weigh in more than the any other component in your candidature. We feel that we will need more information for a fair evaluation: do you lead a team? do you have managerial experience? have you been able to make a business impact?
On academics, a score of 710 should be okay, though your previous academics are on the lower side. The ECA seem a little too technical. In fact, our concern is that your profile may be inclined towards the technical rather than the leadership side. A good balance of both would be important to get through ISB.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed evaluation.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I have lead several business critical projects at my work ranging from engineering systems setup to software development, during which I have lead internal and external teams.

I am responsible for a few workers and executives internally. My day to day work involves looking after the operations of my dept. (Performance testing of heavy duty power plant equipment). I have to face external customers daily as part of my work. I have lead and undertaken three critical projects in the area of mechanical engineering (Im an electrical engineer) with help of executives under me.

I agree that the scope for managerial work is limited in a PSU.

Additionally I have started a family business (Stationery store), and brought up its turnover from 60,000 to 12,00,000 Rs. P.A. I started the business in 2013. Presently I am planning to move into new areas for growth. Does that experience help? I was in charge of setup, procurement, pricing etc of all the material. My brother managed day to day operations.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi vvrkumar,

The professional achievements mentioned are good, though not exemplary. Having said that, with a good GMAT score and good essays, you do have a chance. The family business can be a good talking point on your resume, if articulated well. However, since you have not been doing it full time, questions may also arise on your active contribution.

The challenge for you would also be how do you tie your strengths and achievements to post-MBA goals. We think the essays are the most crucial aspect of your application. Please get GMAT behind you asap so that you can focus on writing clear and articulate essays that bring out a good MBA story.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed discussion.

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 00:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mrinal0308 wrote:
Hi Experts

I gave my 2nd attempt of gmat today and got a 640 (q49,v28).

I am an Indian female with about 6 yrs of exp in IT Software, worked with two companies , TCS and Accenture. I have been doing great at job with lot of best employee awards and extra curricular activities like participating in quizzes, rangoli art competitions etc. I was also the HR spoc for my project and arranged events like picnic for about 100 people, quarterly awards for best performance etc.

My academics are also good like in
-10th, 89.8%, (Merit student certificate from CBSE)
-12th, 89.6% (Amul vidyabhushan award)
-B tech in electrical n electronics , 85% (gold medallist, branch topper) CGPA : 9.24
I was engaged in lot of extra curricular activities at school also like painting and essay writing competitions etc.

What are my chances in IIMs or ISB ? or can you suggest what are the best schools for me both in India and US? I am looking for a functional shift in my role and an MBA In information systems.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mrinal,
Congratulation on your increase from 530 to 640. That's quite a jump. You have good academic performance all through to middle school why then are you struggling with GMAT ? Verbal is definitely the Achilles heel for non natives.
You have a good over all profile. Work is both quantity and quality wise. I know its difficult to find time from your work but adcoms do like to see your involvement in community. Maybe you were involved in the CSR efforts of your company ?
It is good that you're planning to stay in the same industry because changing all the 3 - Function, Industry and Geography is very difficult after an MBA.
Your chances to get into ISB and IIMs are not good but you can at least try ISB. Because ISB does value an applicant's overall profile and not just academics. Regarding US schools, getting into TOP 10-20 would be difficult but not impossible depending on how you prepare your application. And below top 20 you should be able to get in. Specially looking to the decline in Indian application due to work authorisation issues in the US.

1. CMU Tepper MBA in Business Technologies
2. UT McCombsMBA in Information Management
3. Arizona Eller MBA in MIS

These are some programs that offer an MBA in Information Systems but again we need to discuss it in depth to really shortlist schools for you. Please feel free to get in touch for a free consulting call . Hope this helps.

Best,

Deep A.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V17
GPA: 3.83
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 00:12
EduSimplified wrote:
mrinal0308 wrote:
Hi Experts

I gave my 2nd attempt of gmat today and got a 640 (q49,v28).

I am an Indian female with about 6 yrs of exp in IT Software, worked with two companies , TCS and Accenture. I have been doing great at job with lot of best employee awards and extra curricular activities like participating in quizzes, rangoli art competitions etc. I was also the HR spoc for my project and arranged events like picnic for about 100 people, quarterly awards for best performance etc.

My academics are also good like in
-10th, 89.8%, (Merit student certificate from CBSE)
-12th, 89.6% (Amul vidyabhushan award)
-B tech in electrical n electronics , 85% (gold medallist, branch topper) CGPA : 9.24
I was engaged in lot of extra curricular activities at school also like painting and essay writing competitions etc.

What are my chances in IIMs or ISB ? or can you suggest what are the best schools for me both in India and US? I am looking for a functional shift in my role and an MBA In information systems.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mrinal,
Congratulation on your increase from 530 to 640. That's quite a jump. You have good academic performance all through to middle school why then are you struggling with GMAT ? Verbal is definitely the Achilles heel for non natives.
You have a good over all profile. Work is both quantity and quality wise. I know its difficult to find time from your work but adcoms do like to see your involvement in community. Maybe you were involved in the CSR efforts of your company ?
It is good that you're planning to stay in the same industry because changing all the 3 - Function, Industry and Geography is very difficult after an MBA.
Your chances to get into ISB and IIMs are not good but you can at least try ISB. Because ISB does value an applicant's overall profile and not just academics. Regarding US schools, getting into TOP 10-20 would be difficult but not impossible depending on how you prepare your application. And below top 20 you should be able to get in. Specially looking to the decline in Indian application due to work authorisation issues in the US.

1. CMU Tepper MBA in Business Technologies
2. UT McCombsMBA in Information Management
3. Arizona Eller MBA in MIS

These are some programs that offer an MBA in Information Systems but again we need to discuss it in depth to really shortlist schools for you. Please feel free to get in touch for a free consulting call . Hope this helps.

Best,

Yes I do have some volunteering like the
HR SPOC role I played in TCS,
I have also just joined the Accenture's Great place to work (GPTW) community
Also, started to take part in CSR activities like tree plantation etc.
But for official proofs of above 2 new activities, is it mandatory to provide certificates ? Most of the times we just charge the hours we put in for these activities.

I am really relieved to some extent after seeing your comments and definitely want to go for a consultation call.
Yeah GMAT is pushing me back to some degrees but I want my application to be so strong and confident that this GMAT should mean just a requirement, not a deciding factor !!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 00:53
khushalipk wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Hi khushalipk,

Great profile and a good choice of target B-schools.

- Academically we think you're on sound footing with a 750 gmat and a CA degree under your belt.
- Professionally, E&Y is a good brand to have and your work experience seems to be impactful too.
- The only weak point seems to be extra-curriculars, you might want to identifying a cause close your heart and work actively to make a qualitative/quantitative impact. The B-schools in your target list give an enormous weightage to a well-rounded profile.

Might we also suggest you look at Columbia Business School (with its quant focus) and Kellogg (with its encouragement towards women candidates)? Since you're aiming at consulting post-MBA, these would be good colleges to aim for. And with strong essays, you definitely have a chance.

Most B-schools would count your work-experience as 5 years and we think you should begin working on your applications right away.

Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 07:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Please find my short version of CV below.

Academic qualification:
- 10th CBSE : 92%
- 12th CBSE: 83%
- B.E. (IT): 79%
- Yet to give the GMAT

Work Experience : Working in a Multinational-in the Quality assurance domain for 2.5 yrs. ( Manual Testing)
- Leading the Offshore team.
-1 Promotion ( Expecting the next one soon)

Extra Curricular activities :
-A member of Toastmasters International , Have numerous public speaking certificates but they are all till school level + a few from toastmasters.
-Passionate about writing - with some of my articles on social issues present online. ( No certificates as such )
-Helped a friend set up his " Start up " by designing his website / content writing for the website / Selection of products which the consumers might like etc.-
-Many such little things but have no document to prove.

I need an honest opinion on whether i should aim for ISB ? If yes , What should i do to improve my profile & Chances of getting an admit?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 49 [1], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 22:55
This post received
KUDOS
somgmat wrote:
Hi,

Academic qualification:
- Yet to give the GMAT

Work Experience : Working in a Multinational-in the Quality assurance domain for 2.5 yrs. ( Manual Testing)

-A member of Toastmasters International , Have numerous public speaking certificates but they are all till school level + a few from toastmasters.
-Passionate about writing - with some of my articles on social issues present online. ( No certificates as such )
-Helped a friend set up his " Start up " by designing his website / content writing for the website / Selection of products which the consumers might like etc.-

I need an honest opinion on whether i should aim for ISB ? If yes , What should i do to improve my profile & Chances of getting an admit?

Hi there,

If ISB helps you achieve you post MBA goals why not you should aim for it. As for chances of getting in you may want to :

A. Work for a 1 or 2 more to improve your leadership quotient. People do apply with 2 years of work ex but your IT work ex is very imitable.
B. Get an awesome GMAT 700+
C. Engage in community service.
D. Beware when you mention Public Speaking. If you putting it on your resume you need to be exceptional at it.
E. Writing articles is awesome. And link to it is a better proof than any certificate.
F. Ask your friend to make it official about his tech support or something.

You don't have much time if you're planning to apply this year. Hope this helps.

Best,

Deep A.

Kudos [?]: 49 [1], given: 36

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
somgmat wrote:
Hi,

Academic qualification:
- Yet to give the GMAT

Hi somgmat,

We think you have a good profile but you must work on making it spectacular:
1. On the work experience front, leading a team within such a short period of time is good. You must highlight learnings from this in your application, it will add an extra zing. A promotion at workplace will help too.
2. Academically, we think you've done well so far. It will be great if you can also aim for a higher GMAT. A 720+ would place you well above your peers.
3. On the extracurricular side, we think the elements are there- you can showcase a couple of activities that add uniqueness to your profile. For instance, ISB has a thriving Toastmasters community, so if you're good in public speaking, you should definitely highlight this. Do you write a blog or contribute to any existing publications? Writing has become commoditized, so it would be great if you can demonstrate an impact or a following to your writings.

We think that you definitely stand a chance: give your GMAT, get your promotion and sort out your extracurriculars so that they pack a punch. If need be, take your time and apply for R2.

Kudos [?]: 34 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.99
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 01:01
Hi

It would be great if someone can help in evaluating my profile and suggest what score shall be sufficient for ISB?

X 92.6 %
XII 89.4 %
BE Mechanical 75.6 %( Overall 5 Position in Autonomous College)

Workex- 7 years ( Projects, Operations & Maintenance & Strategy)
Presently Executive/Technical Assistant to General Manager in one of the Maharatna PSU of Indian Govt.

Regards

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: ISB '19, Rotman '19, IIM
GMAT Date: 02-04-2017
GPA: 3.6
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
7 Years Extensive Experience in Marketing in the Automobile Industry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 01:12
Hello All,

My name is Ayush Agrawal.

I have 7 years of extensive experience in Marketing.
I have got 80% in my X
I have got 75% in my XII
I secured 64% in my Graduation in Business Management from an AICTE Approved College.

I have worked for 7+ years and go placed in 4th Semester of my college. I also got selected for the CBA course at ISB this year but I turned it down as I was only interested in PGP.

:-D

GMAT Prep is expensive. If you do not spend wisely, you can end up spending more than $1000 on 4-5 prep companies. I am here to help. For as low as $50, I offer, not only a pathway, study plan, notes and strategy session but I also advise on the right companies and materials you should invest in during your prep. There is a saying, “No shoe fits all”

Now it is upto you, whether you want to spend $1000 on 4-5 companies and $750 on 3 GMAT attempts, or you want to clear the GMAT in one go with spending on just 1-2 companies and paying a consultant a modest fee of $50.

For Enquiries:
Whatsapp me on 9425412028
Email me on ayakconsultancy@gmail.com
My URL - ayakconsultancy.wordpress.com

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 02:54
Hi All,
I am looking to re do an MBA program from tier -1 institute specially to hone my skills further and uplift my career. Based on my profile can you please suggest on my chances and GMAT score which I should target:

Kids: One

Edu:
10th - (1997) 69%
12th - (1999)56%
B.Sc. -(2002) 59%
M.A. - (2004)56%
PGPBM (MBA) (2006) -6.36/8 (Tier 2/3 institute)

Certificate:
Licentiate life insurance institute
CFA investment foundation
Certified Scrum Master

Exp: (12 year appx.)
16 month - NGO (as volunteer)
5.5 years - Business analyst with life insurance company
1.9 year - Consultant - IT company (both India and Australia)
3.9 year - Project manager (Asset management company) (frequent business travel to UK)

Extracurricular:
President and Governor award in scouting
NCC ‘C’ certificate
Debate and drama awards at schools
Few team awards during work

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 04:22
ps1982 wrote:
Hi All,
I am looking to re do an MBA program from tier -1 institute specially to hone my skills further and uplift my career. Based on my profile can you please suggest on my chances and GMAT score which I should target:

Edu:
M.A. - (2004)56%

Hi,

You have studied quite a bit in life!

My suggestion, which you probably already know and agree with will be to do an MBA from an institute which adds significant value to you, in terms of both brand image and network. Otherwise a second MBA at this stage in your career will bring little benefits.

Now we need to determine which these b-schools could be and for this I will need your help- do you wish to go abroad for an MBA or will you stay in India? The programs I would look into within India will be : IIMA PGPX, ISB PGP (there is a small section of class, about 50-70 people who have 8+ years work experience) or ISB PGPMAX (you can do this while working).

Outside India, you could consider the Sloan Fellowship programs that are conducted at LBS and MIT. Nanyang also has a fellowship program for senior leaders. There are several exec MBAs in Europe and US, but you need to be there for classes every one and a half months, so that will not be a viable option.

For the GMAT score, a 700+ looks good as a benchmark for your quant/ English skills. For lesser scores, adcoms are more forgiving of older applicants (your category). So I'd say you should apply with a score above 600 because an MBA application gives weightage to several components. Even if you are weak in one criterion, you can demonstrate your strengths in other compartments. For instance, your leadership capability and impact at work will hold a lot of importance and should be presented extremely well in the applications. Similarly the reason for why you need an MBA at this point in your career.

Hope that helps :)

Namita Garg,
+91 9901566772

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 04:35
rkb12 wrote:
Hi

It would be great if someone can help in evaluating my profile and suggest what score shall be sufficient for ISB?

This is a difficult question to answer because b-schools such as ISB do not have a cut off for GMAT scores. My advice to all applicants is to stay near and possibly higher than the class average GMAT score of 705/706. That said, the rest of your application holds equal importance and needs to be competitive on every front. Essentially, that means you should demonstrate instances of your leadership and impact at work, clear reason for doing an MBA, extra curricular activities and impact through them.

X 92.6 %
XII 89.4 %
BE Mechanical 75.6 %( Overall 5 Position in Autonomous College)

rkb12 wrote:
Workex- 7 years ( Projects, Operations & Maintenance & Strategy)
Presently Executive/Technical Assistant to General Manager in one of the Maharatna PSU of Indian Govt.

This sounds good. My advice given above extends here. Use your application to demonstrate your above average career growth, the opportunities taken to make impact, the exclusiveness of your current role as executive assistant. Your career goals should be ambitious and unambiguous - and explain why you need an MBA to achieve them. I write ambitious because you would want to explain how your current role has given you larger aspirations and why is an MBA is required now to achieve them.

Hope that helps :)

Namita Garg,
+91 9901566772

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 04:59
aayushamj wrote:
Hello All,

My name is Ayush Agrawal.

I have 7 years of extensive experience in Marketing.
I have got 80% in my X
I have got 75% in my XII
I secured 64% in my Graduation in Business Management from an AICTE Approved College.

I have worked for 7+ years and go placed in 4th Semester of my college. I also got selected for the CBA course at ISB this year but I turned it down as I was only interested in PGP.

:-D

Hi Ayush,

If you were evaluating between a certificate course and a immersive one year MBA, I'd also go with the latter. More specifically I am not able to assess the need for an analytics certificate in your marketing career, unless you do something around marketing analytics. It would be great if you elaborate on your work experience for my better understanding. Do also mention your work related achievements and any volunteering work.

Namita Garg,
+91 9901566772

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 08:05
ps1982 wrote:
Hi All,

Kids: One

Edu:
10th - (1997) 69%
12th - (1999)56%
B.Sc. -(2002) 59%
M.A. - (2004)56%

Certificate:
Licentiate life insurance institute
CFA investment foundation
Certified Scrum Master

16 month - NGO (as volunteer)
5.5 years - Business analyst with life insurance company
1.9 year - Consultant - IT company (both India and Australia)
3.9 year - Project manager (Asset management company) (frequent business travel to UK)

Extracurricular:
President and Governor award in scouting
NCC ‘C’ certificate
Debate and drama awards at schools
Few team awards during work

Hi namita,
Thanks for info so far. I am primarily targeting ISB PGP and IIMA PGPx only. I am looking fir a full time course and bot a part time one. I am little worried about my academics and also placements i am already earning ehat is average salary of both these courses are and opportunity cost srrms to high. Just wondering how much time its going to take to even break even.

Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2017, 08:05

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  64    Next  [ 1279 posts ] 

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap