Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TSJ wrote:
Hi,

I am an ISB 2018-2019 aspirant, would greatly appreciate your time to assess my profile.

Current Age: 22
Nationality: Indian
IT/non-IT: UG in Engg., work exp. as an entrepreneur

Academics:
1) Class 10 (2011) - ICSE (85%)
- School cricket team captain
- School house captain
2) Class 11 & 12 (2013) - State Board (87%)
- School house captain
- Know how to speak French (if that matters...)
3) UG (2016) at from a top UK university (a Russell-group university based in London)
- B.Eng. (Honours) Aerospace Engineering (result - 2:2). It's a bit on the lower side, but compensated with co-curricular activities, part-time job, and starting a company
- Won an £7500/year (50%) scholarship for all 3 years of studies
- Business Strategy dissertation. (my supervisor was impressed with my company, allowed me do a strategy dissertation instead of an engineering one)
4) GMAT (Jul 2017) - 640 (Q - 47, V - 32, IT - 5, AWA - 5). Currently preparing to re-take in mid-Sep. Target 720
5) Currently preparing for CFA Level 1 (exam in Dec 2017)
6) Online courses from Coursera on Finance, Strategy, and Accounting

Work Experience:
2 years F/T since graduating at the time of admission (Apr 2018). 5 years F/T experience overall at the time of admission (Apr 2018)
1) Started a Food and Beverage company with a partner in India. Working as its CEO (managing Sales and Strategy)
2) Started a Started a Digital Marketing company during my 1st year in UG (decided quickly that engg. is not for me, only continued because of my parents' financial investment). Profits > £20,000. Ran it until graduation (~ 3 years). Most of University expense (tuition + cost of living) re-earned (great help to parents), which was the goal
3) Internship in Investment Banking (M&A) in summer 2015 at a small investment banking firm in India
4) Part-time work during UG studies - waiting staff, sub-warden, student abassador, and sales associate (at different times in the 3 years)
5) Summer internships since the age of 15 (except for summer 2015, when I started my own company). Worked mainly in the Sales department

Leadership/Volunteer Work/:
1) Currently volunteering as a spoken english tutor at a local government school (2x a week) through a local NGO
2) VP of my university's Economics Society (>400 members) in my final year (1st engg. student to be voted in)
3) Co-founded my university's Handball Club in my 2nd year. Was voted in as a treasurer
4) Head of Communications at my university's Engineers Without Borders Society
5) Student mentor in one of my university's students union's mentoring programmes
6) Football Coach at a local primary school during UG studies

Hobbies:
Wrestling and MMA, Painting, Writing poems, cooking

Can you please assess my chances for the ISB PGPM class 2018-2019?
Any improvement suggestions?

Please be brutal if needed, will be taken in positive. Thank you for the time.

Best Wishes.

Hello TSJ,

Thanks for sharing your detailed profile.

With your range of extra-curricular activities and achievements, you do come across as a very dynamic individual. Indeed, you have achieved a lot for your age and your application will have a large number of talking points. This will certainly help! :)

Nonetheless, there are a number of things, which will need to be addressed in your application. While extra curricular activities are important, they may not be able to cover up for your low GPA. Thus, getting a higher GMAT score is very crucial for you at this point. We recommend that you focus your energies entirely on the GMAT and get a score upwards of 700. Needless to say, the higher the better!

Further, you will need to carefully explain your shift from Aerospace Engineering to your current entrepreneurial venture. All business schools look for focused applications. Thus, it is important that you work on an application, which portrays a logical sync among your work experience, and future career goals, and showcases you as a mature individual.

If you manage to take care of the above-mentioned factors, you should have a good chance.

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, please feel free to approach us.

Good Luck! ☺
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

My profile is given below. Kindly let me know if I got a chance at ISB.

10th:75%

12th:70%

Engineering: 70%

GMAT Score: 750

I have an overall experience of 3.5 years in ICICI Bank as Deputy Manager.

Dont have anything else worth mentioning.

Regrads
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Pratish1989 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Regrads

Hi Pratish

With a 750 GMAT, you will certainly be in contention! ICICI is a well known brand in the industry, and your work there should be well regarded as well. There are factors here you have not mentioned - details of your work, ECA, and achievements - but even if they are around average, you should certainly be in strong contention with a decent app.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Thank you so much...Really appreciate it.

Any suggestions to develop a strong profile for ISB contention??

Regards
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Pratish1989 wrote:
Thank you so much...Really appreciate it.

Any suggestions to develop a strong profile for ISB contention??

Regards

Hi Pratish

Will need more details on your work responsibilities, achievements, and extra-curricular activities to be able to suggest. Will be happy to do so once you post this information. You can also contact us directly if needed.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pratish1989 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Regrads

Hi Pratish1989

That is an excellent GMAT score and you will certainly have an edge in the applicant pool! ☺ Moreover, ICICI is a good brand to work with.

It would have been nice to hear about your job responsibilities, achievements, extracurricular achievements, and career goals, as well. Nonetheless, at this point, we recommend that you work on preparing an application, which appropriately brings out your strengths, speaks about your need for an MBA and portrays a strong sync between your work experience and future goals.

If you manage to take care of the above, you have a strong chance at making it to ISB!

We would like to take this opportunity to offer you a free profile evaluation. Should you feel the need for the same, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. ☺

All the best!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
TSJ wrote:
Hi,

I am an ISB 2018-2019 aspirant, would greatly appreciate your time to assess my profile.

Current Age: 22
Nationality: Indian
IT/non-IT: UG in Engg., work exp. as an entrepreneur

Academics:
1) Class 10 (2011) - ICSE (85%)
- School cricket team captain
- School house captain
2) Class 11 & 12 (2013) - State Board (87%)
- School house captain
- Know how to speak French (if that matters...)
3) UG (2016) at from a top UK university (a Russell-group university based in London)
- B.Eng. (Honours) Aerospace Engineering (result - 2:2). It's a bit on the lower side, but compensated with co-curricular activities, part-time job, and starting a company
- Won an £7500/year (50%) scholarship for all 3 years of studies
- Business Strategy dissertation. (my supervisor was impressed with my company, allowed me do a strategy dissertation instead of an engineering one)
4) GMAT (Jul 2017) - 640 (Q - 47, V - 32, IT - 5, AWA - 5). Currently preparing to re-take in mid-Sep. Target 720
5) Currently preparing for CFA Level 1 (exam in Dec 2017)
6) Online courses from Coursera on Finance, Strategy, and Accounting

Work Experience:
2 years F/T since graduating at the time of admission (Apr 2018). 5 years F/T experience overall at the time of admission (Apr 2018)
1) Started a Food and Beverage company with a partner in India. Working as its CEO (managing Sales and Strategy)
2) Started a Started a Digital Marketing company during my 1st year in UG (decided quickly that engg. is not for me, only continued because of my parents' financial investment). Profits > £20,000. Ran it until graduation (~ 3 years). Most of University expense (tuition + cost of living) re-earned (great help to parents), which was the goal
3) Internship in Investment Banking (M&A) in summer 2015 at a small investment banking firm in India
4) Part-time work during UG studies - waiting staff, sub-warden, student abassador, and sales associate (at different times in the 3 years)
5) Summer internships since the age of 15 (except for summer 2015, when I started my own company). Worked mainly in the Sales department

Leadership/Volunteer Work/:
1) Currently volunteering as a spoken english tutor at a local government school (2x a week) through a local NGO
2) VP of my university's Economics Society (>400 members) in my final year (1st engg. student to be voted in)
3) Co-founded my university's Handball Club in my 2nd year. Was voted in as a treasurer
4) Head of Communications at my university's Engineers Without Borders Society
5) Student mentor in one of my university's students union's mentoring programmes
6) Football Coach at a local primary school during UG studies

Hobbies:
Wrestling and MMA, Painting, Writing poems, cooking

Can you please assess my chances for the ISB PGPM class 2018-2019?
Any improvement suggestions?

Please be brutal if needed, will be taken in positive. Thank you for the time.

Best Wishes.

Hi TSJ

Thanks for posting a detailed profile. That really helps while reviewing.
- First things first. Your GMAT is an obvious problem area at this point, and you are well aware of it. What target score do you need? Of course the higher the better, but we believe you should be in contention with anything 680 and above.
- Your Bachelor's degree certainly gives you some differentiation. ISB encourages applications from people who have studied and worked abroad, and this will play to your advantage. Although your work experience will be taken to be just 2 years (ISB counts only full-time post-Bachelor's experience), you do have experience that goes well beyond just these 2 years. Will make for an interesting story for essay 1.
- ECA are excellent and well diversified as well. Strong point for sure.
- In terms of work, yes, you have done some good work, but the focus is lacking. The hustle during your Bachelor's days is all good, but other than that its been Digital Marketing, Food and Beverages, and Investment Banking (internship). Now you are applying for an MBA, with just 2 years of experience, and also pursuing the CFA (not related to your current role). This is a concern area and could well be challenged in your admissions process.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi All,

Please help me with my profile evaluation. Here is my profile:

BE CS & MSc Maths, BITS Pilani, 8.39, 2016
XII (Science), 90.6%
X, 90.6%

Current Experience (13 months) - Software Development Engineer (SDE), Amazon
Previous Internships:
1. SDE Intern, Walmart Labs, 6 months.
2. Marketing Intern, Microsoft SMSG, 3 months.
3. Startup (One of the initial Members) (6 months)

POR:
1. Head, Department of Sponsorship and Marketing, Oasis ’14 (Cultural Fest), BITS Pilani
2. Head, Department of Sponsorship, Melange, 1st ever Theatre Festival, BITS Pilani
3. Member, Hindi Drama Club, BITS Pilani

Scholarship:
INSPIRE Scholarship by Govt. of India.

Others:
Runners Up, Football, Intra BITS Annual Sports Competition for the year 2015

Thanks a lot in advance.
Aishik.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
aishikdhar2006 wrote:
Hi All,

XII (Science), 90.6%
X, 90.6%

Previous Internships:

POR:
1. Head, Department of Sponsorship and Marketing, Oasis ’14 (Cultural Fest), BITS Pilani
2. Head, Department of Sponsorship, Melange, 1st ever Theatre Festival, BITS Pilani

Scholarship:

Others:

Thanks a lot in advance.
Aishik.

Hi Aishik

Thanks for posting.
- You might need to apply for the ISB EEO rather than direct PGP admissions as you will have less than 2 years by the time the next class starts.
- Acads and undergrad school are great. The scholarship certainly helpsECA is decent, though not very differentiated. The Hindi drama club is interesting.
- Although you will be considered part of the tech pool, you will be differentiated by the fact that you work for Amazon, and not a large IT services major. Be sure to highlight just how hard getting the SDE role at Amazon is.
- With a GMAT of 700+ and a decent application, you should certainly be in contention.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi,

Please let me know if I should apply to ISB.

GMAT - 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5.0)
B.Tech - 63.45%
XII - 75.4%
X -79.4%

Work ex - 3.5 years (IT)
Company - Accenture

Extra Curricular

- Organized Tech & Cultural Fest in college
- Volunteered for an NGO
- Multiple Awards at work
- Volunteered as ASE guide to help new joiners blend in and organize other at activities at workplace.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhi658 wrote:
Hi,

B.Tech - 63.45%
XII - 75.4%
X -79.4%

Work ex - 3.5 years (IT)
Company - Accenture

Extra Curricular

- Volunteered for an NGO
- Volunteered as ASE guide to help new joiners blend in and organize other at activities at workplace.

Abhi,

You have a decent GMAT score and average academics. Technically, you are in a position to apply to ISB, however, we are missing details about your profile that will help us know how competitive your profile is. You belong to the most common applicant pool, so a stellar career record is going to be crucial in gaining admit.

Feel free to share more details
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhi658 wrote:
Hi,

B.Tech - 63.45%
XII - 75.4%
X -79.4%

Work ex - 3.5 years (IT)
Company - Accenture

Extra Curricular

- Volunteered for an NGO

Hi abhi658,

Your GMAT score is a fairly good one and we would definitely recommend that you apply to ISB ☺

Having said the above, you have quite a conventional profile and the success of your application will largely depend on how well you are able to differentiate yourself from the other applicants, who have a similar background as yours. Thus, we suggest that you strongly focus on drafting your essays at this point. Focus on your strengths, achievements, and soft-skills, along with portraying a logical sync among your professional experiences and future career goals.

A well-drafted application should stand you a good chance at cracking ISB!

We would also like to take this opportunity to offer you a free profile evaluation. Should you feel the need for the same, please feel free to get in touch with us! ☺

Good Luck! ☺
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
strategy4gmat1 wrote:
strategy4gmat1 wrote:
Aiming to get into ISB this year but still have a lot of questions? - Is it worth the investment? Is it the right school for me? Will ISB accept me with a GMAT score below 700? What are the post-ISB careers I can look at?

Get all you queries resolved in our ISB admissions Gyaan Session #5. In this session, you will meet two ISB alumni who will answer all your queries about the school - admissions, academics, placements, clubs, etc.

When: Sunday, 6th August, 2017, Time: 12 Noon IST

Where: You Tube (live session)

We will start by discussing a key topic: How to Differentiate yourself in the ISB application. This will be followed by your queries.

The agenda for the session is given below:

* 1200 - 1215: How to Differentiate yourself in the ISB application

* 1215 - 1240: Q&A (Questions received over email / registration form)

* 1240 - 1300: Q&A (Questions received over the live chat window)

You may also opt for speaking with an ISB alumnus and indicate a preferred time to call. You will be contacted in the week following the session.

So, just sign up and ask your questions about ISB here:

https://goo.gl/forms/dQfK0FUJLGZ6r7a52

Look forward to interacting with you.

Regards,

Abhishek Chawla
ISB alumnus & Co-Founder, Strategy4GMAT
Ph: +91 9990493487 | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com
https://www.strategy4gmat.com

Strategy4GMAT - an ISB alumni venture to help you get into your dream B-school

30+ registrations already! Keep them coming :)

Many questions to be discussed during the session...from admissions process to re-application, from recommendations to placements, its going to be one of the most interesting sessions we have conducted so far this season.

Earlier sessions can be viewed here: https://www.strategy4gmat.com/events.php
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
abhi658 wrote:
Hi,

B.Tech - 63.45%
XII - 75.4%
X -79.4%

Work ex - 3.5 years (IT)
Company - Accenture

Extra Curricular

- Volunteered for an NGO

Hi Abhi

Please provide more details on the nature of your work + your key professional achievements.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
aishikdhar2006 wrote:
Hi All,

XII (Science), 90.6%
X, 90.6%

Previous Internships:

POR:

Scholarship:

Others:

Thanks a lot in advance.
Aishik.

Hi aishikdhar2006,

If you will not be able to complete 24 months of work-experience by March 31st 2018, then ISB EEO (Early Entry Option) would be the way ahead for you. Since ISB does not expect exemplary professional achievements from you with lesser work-experience, the focus of your application would be your academic background, GMAT and extracurriculars.
The internships will help, extracurriculars are needed more than ever. Amazon is a good brand too. A high GMAT score will reinforce your strong academic background. 720+ will really help your cause, as the average GMAT for <2 years is usually high.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
jigneshmaniyar wrote:
Hi please evaluate my profile.
GMAT score 660
Chartered Accountant with 10 years work experience in listed company
B. Com. 64%
HSC 67%
SSC 57%

Age 36 (male)

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MI MAX using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Jignesh

You are on the higher side in terms of age and experience. The fact that you are a CA helps though, but the GMAT score needs to be higher by at least 20 more points. If you can achieve that, you should have a chance at ISB, with a strong application.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sangram1988 wrote:
hi team..
academic records
10th 83%
12th 7.65%
Btech NIT ROURKELA 2010 7.65(CGPA)

work experience 7yrs 1 month as on 31st july 2017 in COAL INDIA LIMITED. i am in the mining engineering field. my work profile is such that i have a good knowledge of man power management , planning and production. currently my work requires frequent interaction with end users. implemented new systems and work strategies in my project.

extra curricular activities
not as such to mention here

i haven't given my GMAT yet..

DO i have any chance in ISB ?

Aim for a GMAT of 680 and above, and given the fact that you are from a PSU and would bring in valuable resource, man management, and field experience, your diversity will work well for you. The lack of substantial ECA may not be a huge factor, provided you have professional and academic achievements in place.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  47   48   49   50   51  ...  307