GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 03:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation for Ivy League

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '22
Premium Member
Profile Evaluation for Ivy League  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 03:42
Hi,

I am planning to apply for 2020 session in B- schools. A brief about my profile as follows and I would be grateful for any inputs or suggestions you may have.

Nationality:
Indian

Age - 34 (as of 2019)
GMAT Score - TBD (Targeting to give in June 2019)

Education:
10th - 69%=>7.3 CGPA
12th - 76%=>7.9 CGPA
B.Tech - 73%=>7.7
PGDIT - 8.0 CGPA

Graduation - B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering with % CGPA in India
Post Grad - Post Grad Diploma in IT from IIT Kharagpur (India)
Certificate in Enterprise and Business Management (Entrepreneurship) from IIT Delhi (6 Months)
PMP Certified

Professional Experience (8.5 years) and Extra curricular:
Organizations I worked with -
IBM - 1year as system engineer in SAP.
4 years with Sunlife Financial as a project manager, handling IT project in Canadian Insurance domain. Always been a star performer.
British Telecom - 3.5 years as Project manager handling IT telecom projects for global clients.

For 3-4 months I have also worked with a Startup as part of founding team.
I am also a freelance consultant on a project to open Ideal school in India. Project has envisioned by an alumnus of Harvard Graduate School of Education.
I am a motivational Speaker and often visit Engineering and MBA colleges in country to engage students.
I have delivered a Josh talk (its an Indian version of Ted Talk)
I am a self defense and combat practitioner. I am one of the few men/women in the country who has the knowledge/skill and actively teaches in corporates or less privileged kids and women in Indian society.
I am a triathlete. I participated in toughest endurance sport full Ironman in 2018 in Sweden (Kalmar). Only woman from my city/town state to do so also one of the very few women in Ironman sport in India.
I am a runner and have done one of the toughest half marathon in Ladakh held at a height of 11,500 to 17,618 feet.
I am cyclist and only few Indian women to have cycled at a height of 11,500 to 18,618 feet for 450 kms. (Manali to Leh)

I do have a personal story as coming from conservative Indian family despite of my education I was pushed in a abusive marriage and then I took stand to come out of it and breaking stereotypes since then.

Schools:
Preference: HBS, Wharton, Stanford, LBS
Yale, Chicago Booth, Kellogg, Tuck
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation for Ivy League  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 08:10
Hi himanics,

Thank you for your post. Just to clarify, which of these is your current job? Here are a few other observations:

The programs that you've listed are more or less a grouping of the most difficult MBA programs in the world. So apart from being hard to judge without knowing your GMAT score, this looks like it has the makings of a "too aggressive" of a strategy.

The other thing to think about is where you are in your life and career relative to the type of candidates these programs typically seek when building their full-time MBA classes. Every person's situation is different, and it sounds like you persevered through a difficult situation, which might have altered your timeline. But if you look at the class profiles for these programs, you're often looking at an average age of around 28 years (a little lower for HBS and Stanford), with students who are usually about five years removed from college, with a middle 80% range of 3 to 7, 3.5 to 7, or sometimes 3 to 8 years.

When a candidate is in her/his mid-30s, Executive MBA programs are usually a better fit. Understanding that those usually don't offer visas, then applicants of similar age begin to explore one-year programs that lean older, many of which are found in Europe more so than the United States. Again, everyone's situation is unique, and it sounds like you overcame a difficult situation in order to arrive where you are today, which might explain the later inclination toward applying. But you would nevertheless need to overcome fairly significant outlier status at some of the most difficult programs in the world.

All of that said, if your score supports it and your heart is set on trying, then there are some unique elements to your profile, and you could make a moonshot bid as an outlier candidate who has broken stereotypes and overcome a very challenging personal situation. Your work experience leaning a little lower relative to your age could marginally help. But in the end, you'd be trying to become one of the small handful (at smaller programs) or handful or two (at larger programs) of students in their mid 30s at these programs. It's extremely difficult, and there are programs out there that are better fits (see below), but you are, of course, welcome to try.

Here are a few links I think are worth looking at in the meantime:

MBA Admission Chances for Indian Applicants (Top 50 Analysis)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-admissio ... 39142.html

The Cornerstones of the MBA Application Process
https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

If you're less interested in Europe (where you will find more 1-year, full-time programs with average class ages in their early 30s), then in the U.S. you might also look into USC Marshall IBEAR, Stanford MSx, and MIT Sloan Fellows. Those average ages are 36, 36, and 38, respectively, the cohorts better align with where you are in your life and career, and the GMAT score averages are less than you'd find on the full-time MBA side. (The work experience minimums are 6 years, 8 years, and 10 years, respectively, so you might not yet qualify for Sloan Fellows.) But I believe that these are all options worth looking into.

Happy to chat if ever helpful! https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation for Ivy League   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2019, 08:10

Profile Evaluation for Ivy League

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep