GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 12:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '21 (II), NUS '22
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 10:53
Hi!

Please evaluate my profile for an MBA at Ross:

Indian National.

GMAT Score: 750 (Q48, V45)

Educational Qualifications:

Graduation: B.Tech in Mechatronics Engineering-3.30/4.00 (86%)
Class 12: 89.3%
Class 10: 9.4/10.0

Work Experience:
Working at Maruti Suzuki India Limited (3 Years) in a central operations and strategy role in production. Responsible for central procurement (~100MRs) procurement strategy, system adherence, strategy deployment in areas of cost, quality, safety and productivity.

Extra-Curricular:
Finisher at Desert Storm rally in 2018.
Participated in various cricket tournaments at school, college and company level.
Winner at company level management quiz.
Participated in multiple theatre and music competitions in school and college.
Finisher at Devils Circuit Delhi Edition 2019

I enjoy meeting people and sharing stories.
Enjoy cricket and badminton.
Love listening to music and playing the drums.
Recently been cycling a lot and planning to get associated with a cycling group in Delhi.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2019, 09:07
Hi, please evaluate my profile.

Female, 25 years old, India

Secondary education : 9.4 gpa
Senior Secondary : 81.9%

Graduation :
Bachelors of Architecture
(5 years course including 6 months internship)

College : NIT

CGPA : 7.67

GMAT : 710 (Q49, V 36)

Work Experience : 25 months at Larsen and Toubro
(as on august 2019)
Role : Senior architect

Have taken up more responsibility than is usually awarded at my cadre. Have handled one project in last year and am handling another project on my own as of now.(project values upwards of 100 crores)

Co Curriculars :
1. Regularly volunteer for ngo camps ( elderdly health camps etc)
2. Was part of organizing committees of college fests, department functions, functions in school
3. Was involved in dramatics and debating in school

Why mba ?

I know the technical aspects of a building, from the floor plans to the ventilation system, from the effect it can have on a person to the how livable and sustenable it can be .
I want to able to look at the same built environment from a business/financial/economic point of view also, to be able to have a more cohesive bigger picture.

Thanks !

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 20:11
Hi nitishms,
Thanks for reaching out. If you want to aim for Ross you'll need to hit & ideally exceed their average GMAT score, which is around 715. Given that you're Indian with a tech background, it will be important to actually exceed that average by as much as possible. The fact that you're American definitely helps but you're still in an overrepresented demographic when it comes to b-school apps & it's also one that tends to have very high GMAT scores (20-30 points over the average typically).

A lot will also depend on the specifics of your work experience. If you already have 6 years of work experience under your belt, that puts you quite a bit above the average, which can weaken the strength of your candidacy. But like I said, a lot depends on the specifics of your accomplishments as well as on your why MBA argument. When it comes to accomplishments, they want to see applicants who have used business skills to drive meaningful, quantifiable results at work (e.g. driving increases in revenue or decreases in cost, launching profitable new products or services, etc) and they also want to see demonstrated leadership experience.

Your post-MBA goals are a critical part of your application as well. They're not only an opportunity to differentiate yourself but also the foundation upon which your why MBA/why our school argument rests as well. Your goals sounds unique, but you will need to be ready to make a business case for them. I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding your vision based on what you shared here. Are you training people to become professional athletes? Is this a school to help people who just want to pursue soccer as a hobby? You'll want to make sure your vision is big enough to warrant an MBA from a top school.

Hopefully those topline thoughts are helpful. If you'd like some more specific support definitely reach out to us. If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants who can take a look at your resume & give you some more detailed feedback & direction!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern
B
Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 10:21
Hi All,

Looking for a evaluation on my profile for Michigan Ross. Kind of too ambitious for me, but still want to know if there is even a realistic chance even for an interview if I apply in earlier rounds.

1. Indian | Male
2. GRE- 318/340 (Q-165 | V-153) and TOEFL- 111/120
3. B.Tech. in Electronics and Electrical Engineering. (74.7%)
4. 5 years as of Aug'19. Currently an Analytics & Strategy Consultant for a Big4 Firm. Got 3 promotions.
5. Post MBA- Product/Program Management

Extra Curriculars:
1. Bournvita Quiz Contest Zonal Finalist at School.
2. Head Boy
3. Leader, University Quizzing Society.
4. VP Finance, Rotaract International Club.
5. AIESEC Team Lead.
6. Founder, University E-Cell. Currently one of the top names in startup incubation circuit.
7. Invited speaker on my paper on Machine Learning at one of India's largest ML conference hosted by IISc Bangalore.

Awards:
1. Principal's Award, School. (<5% of class gets it)
2. District Champion, Annual India Today Quiz.
3. University Debate Champion (2 years back to back).
4. Student Achiever Award, University.
5. Back to Back 3 years at work.
3. Appreciation Citation from CTO.

Alternate Schools: McCombs, Kelley, Foster, HEC.

Kindly evaluate.
Thanks in Advance.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 16:39
Hi, and thanks for writing. It would be ideal if you could bring your Verbal GRE score to 160+. Are you involved in any post-collegiate extracurriculars? That would strengthen your profile. For Indian applicants, I recommend applying to Round 1 whenever possible given the competitiveness of your demographic, so Round 2 might be challenging. I think that the alternative target schools that you've listed make sense given your profile.

BabuMoshaaai wrote:
Hi All,

Looking for a evaluation on my profile for Michigan Ross. Kind of too ambitious for me, but still want to know if there is even a realistic chance even for an interview if I apply in earlier rounds.

1. Indian | Male
2. GRE- 318/340 (Q-165 | V-153) and TOEFL- 111/120
3. B.Tech. in Electronics and Electrical Engineering. (74.7%)
4. 5 years as of Aug'19. Currently an Analytics & Strategy Consultant for a Big4 Firm. Got 3 promotions.
5. Post MBA- Product/Program Management

Extra Curriculars:
1. Bournvita Quiz Contest Zonal Finalist at School.
2. Head Boy
3. Leader, University Quizzing Society.
4. VP Finance, Rotaract International Club.
5. AIESEC Team Lead.
6. Founder, University E-Cell. Currently one of the top names in startup incubation circuit.
7. Invited speaker on my paper on Machine Learning at one of India's largest ML conference hosted by IISc Bangalore.

Awards:
1. Principal's Award, School. (<5% of class gets it)
2. District Champion, Annual India Today Quiz.
3. University Debate Champion (2 years back to back).
4. Student Achiever Award, University.
5. Back to Back 3 years at work.
3. Appreciation Citation from CTO.

Alternate Schools: McCombs, Kelley, Foster, HEC.

Kindly evaluate.
Thanks in Advance.

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: Rotman, Schulich, NUS, Erasmus
GPA: 3.36
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 08:14
24 year old, Male, Indian
XII - 95%
B.Tech. in Electronics engineering: 8.4/10 GPA
GMAT: 710, yet to take IELTS
WE: Will have 4 years by September 2020. IT consulting in one of the big fours with focus on business development
Volunteer: Volunteering at a non-profit organization which offers classroom services for special kids. Hobbies include team sports (football and basketball), debating and quizzing
Post-MBA goals - Make a career switch to one of the Investment Management firms

Kindly evaluate my profile for Ross and suggest areas of improvement.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2019, 14:42
Hi Everyone-
I'm a white male with an engineering background, and will finish a corporate finance graduate certificate from Harvard extension school this fall. I'll be applying R1 in 2020
Company: Manufacturing company in Ohio
GMAT: 710 (49Q/38V)
Undergrad GPA: 3.0 Mechanical Engineering, Mid-tier Public College
Graduate Classes: 3.4
Work Experience: I moved from a cost engineer role to an FP&A Role. While in cost, I led some systems integration efforts for 4 newly acquired plants, and leveraged that to a promotion into FP&A. I'm currently responsible for all day-to-day finance work for our $260 mil, 7 plant business unit. Involved with various sales and operations reporting, and oversee a couple of operations related projects that I started while in my previous role. Would have right under 4 years of experience upon matriculation (in 2021)
Extracurricular: Was extremely involved in college with alumni relations groups, a few multicultural and racial justice focused groups, and student-government type groups and a fraternity. Held leadership roles in many of the groups, and received an award from our University's Foundation. Currently on a couple of boards with my undergrad's alumni affiliate groups.
Post MBA: Would like to move into Management Consulting (MBB or Strategy consulting) or PE focused on small/mid cap manufacturing
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2019, 16:09
Hi Based,
Thanks for reaching out. I think you have a solid shot at Ross but it will be a bit of a stretch given your GPA and the fact that your GMAT, while solid, is not a differentiator & is a bit below the Ross average of ~720. The grad certificate will demonstrate your interest in business but honestly the undergrad GPA matters more since that is a certificate program & not an actual masters (and 3.4 is still a bit on the low end for Ross, where the average is typically ~3.5). A lot is really going to depend on the strength of your accomplishments at work and how you talk about your goals. The adcom wants to see that you've driven quantifiable impact in your career, and given your cost focus it sounds like you likely have, which is awesome. That will show them you have something valuable to contribute in class discussion & will also demonstrate that you're up for the rigors of b-school. In terms of your goals, consulting is quite common so that's not going to be a differentiator. That's not to say you can't focus on it as your goal, but you may want to consider the PE route, especially since you have a manufacturing focus there, which is more unique. A lot will depend on how you talk about your goals. The adcom will want to not only know what job you're targeting but also want unique impact you plan to have in that role & WHY that is your passion. Goals are not only a way to differentiate yourself but are also the basis for your why MBA/why our school argument so they're a critical piece of the puzzle.

So long story short, I think you do have a shot at Ross assuming strong essays & strong accomplishments at work but you will need to work to overcome the slightly low GMAT & the lower undergrad GPA. If you need any help thinking through your strategy & your story definitely reach out to us. If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants who can take a look at your resume & give you some more detailed thoughts!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 11:23
Hi, and thanks for writing! Ross is very competitive, especially for Indian applicants - if you can raise your GMAT to 730+ that would be ideal. Have you progressed in your IT consulting role and can you count on a glowing recommendation?
It's great that you'vre involved in volunteering - is there potential to elevate your involvement to a leadership capacity?
Also, in your application, you'll want to provide a strong rationale for the career switch to investment management and what has inspired it. Hope that helps a bit! :)

devangpandey007 wrote:
24 year old, Male, Indian
XII - 95%
B.Tech. in Electronics engineering: 8.4/10 GPA
GMAT: 710, yet to take IELTS
WE: Will have 4 years by September 2020. IT consulting in one of the big fours with focus on business development
Volunteer: Volunteering at a non-profit organization which offers classroom services for special kids. Hobbies include team sports (football and basketball), debating and quizzing
Post-MBA goals - Make a career switch to one of the Investment Management firms

Kindly evaluate my profile for Ross and suggest areas of improvement.

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 13:47
Hi,

I seek some advice regarding the suitability of my profile for Ross. Would be grateful if I could receive some feedback.

Background:

• Indian, male
• Engineering bachelors (electrical) - GPA 6.1/10 (equiv to 61%) at tier 1 university
• 6 years' worth of work experience - Renewable energy - Consulting and operations
• GMAT 710 (Q50 V36 IR5 AWA5.5)

Post MBA goals
Career acceleration in the same field - Energy

Work exp break down:-

3 years at a technical consulting firm (largest in India) - Energy industry. (2013-2016) - location India

• Worked on conventional power projects in Greece and Morocco - 1 year. Clients were foreign nationals. Limited travel during this time.
• Mostly focused on developing strong technical fundamentals
• Shifted to renewable energy industry (utility scale solar plants). Offered consultancy services to lenders, policy makers and developers.
• Travelled extensively all over India and witnessed the boom in the renewable energy space first hand.
• Promoted to the position of an Engineering Consultant – Design

2 years at the world's 2nd largest solar PV (photo voltaic) Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) company

• Employed as senior design engineer.
• Employed at double the pay.
• Shifted from consultancy to operations in the space of a couple of months
• Started the energy storage department in the firm
• Picked up financial modelling and programming even though these were not a part of my job description.
• Led a team of 8 at the home office and a team of 24 at site, to successfully commission the largest solar PV plant (at that time) inside an Airport (beside the runway) at the Kolkata International Airport.
• Obtained recommendation from Client (central government of India)
• Manager (team lead) for 3 large scale solar PV projects that were completed within a space of 2 years and were based out of India, Egypt and Argentina
• Employment included extensive travelling all over the country and to Egypt and Vietnam (for construction monitoring)

1 year at the world's largest energy consulting form (2018- present)

• Offered a role of a Consultant in Energy Storage and Renewable energy
• 4x the pay of previous firm
• Permanent employment offered at Dubai office. Currently hold a resident Visa.
• Train clients - external as well as internal on contracts, execution and technical stuff.
• Offer consultancy services to private equity firms and developers investing in energy storage space (primary role) and am the business lead for the Indian Market
• Travel to Jordan, Egypt, Kenya, West Africa and Saudi Arabia

Extra curricular

2011- present
• Started a cooperative for sustainable tourism and Tuberculosis prevention in the Himalayas. The geographic location is quite limited to few high - altitude locations in Jammu and Himachal Pradesh.

2013-2015
Volunteer at an NGO that works to offer education to the underprivileged - run by Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi

2016-present
Active member of a vocational training institute where I disseminate my knowledge of operations to budding technicians

Does it make sense for me to try for Ross? Is my GPA and GMAT too low for a realistic chance?

Thanks
SNG
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2019, 02:00
Hi,

Indian Male.
GMAT:710 (Q-50/V-35/IR-7/AWA-5)
IELTS: Awaiting results (Expecting 7.5+ in all sections)
Mechanical Engineering: 7.629/10 (NIT Srinagar-2011-2015)
12th: 85.33%
Hardly any community work.
A core member of Dubai Writers Group.
Work Experience: 3 months (Decision Science)
46 months (Construction Industry)- International
Promotions: 2 (Graduate Engineer Trainee to Mechanical Engineer- Everyone gets it
Mechanical Engineer to Commissioning Lead
Commissioning Lead to Senior Mechanical Engineer)- I am the youngest Senior Mechanical Engineer in my company's history. And my company was established in 1976 in the UAE.
Currently Based out of Dubai (UAE) for the last 46 months.

Please evaluate my profile.
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2019, 03:23
shubhajit wrote:
Hi,

I seek some advice regarding the suitability of my profile for Ross. Would be grateful if I could receive some feedback.

Background:

• Indian, male
• Engineering bachelors (electrical) - GPA 6.1/10 (equiv to 61%) at tier 1 university
• 6 years' worth of work experience - Renewable energy - Consulting and operations
• GMAT 710 (Q50 V36 IR5 AWA5.5)

Post MBA goals
Career acceleration in the same field - Energy

Work exp break down:-

3 years at a technical consulting firm (largest in India) - Energy industry. (2013-2016) - location India

• Worked on conventional power projects in Greece and Morocco - 1 year. Clients were foreign nationals. Limited travel during this time.
• Mostly focused on developing strong technical fundamentals
• Shifted to renewable energy industry (utility scale solar plants). Offered consultancy services to lenders, policy makers and developers.
• Travelled extensively all over India and witnessed the boom in the renewable energy space first hand.
• Promoted to the position of an Engineering Consultant – Design

2 years at the world's 2nd largest solar PV (photo voltaic) Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) company

• Employed as senior design engineer.
• Employed at double the pay.
• Shifted from consultancy to operations in the space of a couple of months
• Started the energy storage department in the firm
• Picked up financial modelling and programming even though these were not a part of my job description.
• Led a team of 8 at the home office and a team of 24 at site, to successfully commission the largest solar PV plant (at that time) inside an Airport (beside the runway) at the Kolkata International Airport.
• Obtained recommendation from Client (central government of India)
• Manager (team lead) for 3 large scale solar PV projects that were completed within a space of 2 years and were based out of India, Egypt and Argentina
• Employment included extensive travelling all over the country and to Egypt and Vietnam (for construction monitoring)

1 year at the world's largest energy consulting form (2018- present)

• Offered a role of a Consultant in Energy Storage and Renewable energy
• 4x the pay of previous firm
• Permanent employment offered at Dubai office. Currently hold a resident Visa.
• Train clients - external as well as internal on contracts, execution and technical stuff.
• Offer consultancy services to private equity firms and developers investing in energy storage space (primary role) and am the business lead for the Indian Market
• Travel to Jordan, Egypt, Kenya, West Africa and Saudi Arabia

Extra curricular

2011- present
• Started a cooperative for sustainable tourism and Tuberculosis prevention in the Himalayas. The geographic location is quite limited to few high - altitude locations in Jammu and Himachal Pradesh.

2013-2015
Volunteer at an NGO that works to offer education to the underprivileged - run by Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi

2016-present
Active member of a vocational training institute where I disseminate my knowledge of operations to budding technicians

Does it make sense for me to try for Ross? Is my GPA and GMAT too low for a realistic chance?

Thanks
SNG

Hi,

Your substantial international experience is a differentiator. But the combination of GPA + GMAT score will make applying to many MBA programs unviable, including Ross, which has expected 730+ scores from Indians.
Suggest you retake GMAT to increase your chances at several programs. Also consider doing an MBA relevant program such as MBA Math to show the adcom that you have the quant chops required by MBA curriculums.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2019, 03:25
Naimishvijay wrote:
Hi,

Indian Male.
GMAT:710 (Q-50/V-35/IR-7/AWA-5)
IELTS: Awaiting results (Expecting 7.5+ in all sections)
Mechanical Engineering: 7.629/10 (NIT Srinagar-2011-2015)
12th: 85.33%
Hardly any community work.
A core member of Dubai Writers Group.
Work Experience: 3 months (Decision Science)
46 months (Construction Industry)- International
Promotions: 2 (Graduate Engineer Trainee to Mechanical Engineer- Everyone gets it
Mechanical Engineer to Commissioning Lead
Commissioning Lead to Senior Mechanical Engineer)- I am the youngest Senior Mechanical Engineer in my company's history. And my company was established in 1976 in the UAE.
Currently Based out of Dubai (UAE) for the last 46 months.

Please evaluate my profile.

I'd suggest a GMAT retake. From my experience of talking to several applicants, i know that Ross does have a higher GMAT ask from Indian applicants.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2019, 03:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 153 posts ] 

Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: variantguy