GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Sustainability, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Sales (Consulting)
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 06:44
Hi all - I'm targeting R2 application this year and would appreciate any feedback on my profile. Ross is one of my top choices and I want to be as competitive as possible.

Demographics: Hispanic Male (27 years old), EU/USA dual citizenship
Undergrad GPA: 3.5/4.0
Undergrad school/major: Environmental Science and French Literature at a large research university (think University of Minnesota/University of Wisconsin tier)
GMAT Score: 720
Total experience: 4.5 years
Work experience:
My primary background has been in enterprise software sales.

I started my career as a Business Development Representative (BDR) at a large software company in their Business Intelligence/Analytics division. After succeeding there (top 10% performer) I was given an offer to leave the company to work for a small but promising startup as an enterprise sales representative.
I spent a year at the startup, taking on many additional roles adjacent to my primary sales function, and was responsible for bringing in over $500,000 in Annual Contract Value (over half of our total ACV). The company eventually pivoted after a year, and completely dissolved the sales team to focus on developing a new product.

I left the startup to go work at a large software company again (think SFDC, Microsoft, Amazon). I was quickly promoted to lead account executive for mid-sized Department of Defense (DoD) sales. This role involved selling my company’s suite of products into the DoD working closely with partners (Deloitte, Accenture, Cap Gemeni, IBM, etc…) to develop proposals and implementation roadmaps. This was a completely client-facing role and I presented our solutions to a large number of important DoD leaders, CIOs, and project leads. I achieved 170% of my quota over the course of my time there, and was public sector account executive of the quarter in Q4 of last year. I also lead a team of 3 business development representatives and one dedicated Sales Engineer.

I left the company after 2 years when my significant-other and I moved to the Middle-East because of a foreign service requirement for her job. I’ve been volunteering full-time at a refugee non-profit organization. I manage their donor relations software, create all donation reports, assist in our monthly audits, and have been leading their current winter fundraising campaign. I will be living here until summer 2020.

Extra curricular: The volunteer work described above Is my biggest “extra curricular”. I was also involved in raising money for a military veterans training and education program at my previous company. Outside that, I’m an avid hiker, having climbed all 48 of New Hampshire’s “4000 footer” mountains. I'm also fluent in French, having grown up in France as a child (moved back to the U.S. in middle school).

Goal of MBA: My goal is to get a position at a management consulting firm (targeting MBB). I’d be specifically interested in joining the sustainability practices at one of these firms in the longer term. My experience in selling enterprise software into large organizations has helped shape my interest in leading large scale organizational change. I am now at a point where I want to focus on issues more in line with my interests, hence the ideal focus on sustainability and climate change. Ultimately I’d like to build a specialization in those areas.
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 19:19
Tayne wrote:
Hi all - I'm targeting R2 application this year and would appreciate any feedback on my profile. Ross is one of my top choices and I want to be as competitive as possible.

Demographics: Hispanic Male (27 years old), EU/USA dual citizenship
Undergrad GPA: 3.5/4.0
Undergrad school/major: Environmental Science and French Literature at a large research university (think University of Minnesota/University of Wisconsin tier)
GMAT Score: 720
Total experience: 4.5 years
Work experience:
My primary background has been in enterprise software sales.

I started my career as a Business Development Representative (BDR) at a large software company in their Business Intelligence/Analytics division. After succeeding there (top 10% performer) I was given an offer to leave the company to work for a small but promising startup as an enterprise sales representative.
I spent a year at the startup, taking on many additional roles adjacent to my primary sales function, and was responsible for bringing in over $500,000 in Annual Contract Value (over half of our total ACV). The company eventually pivoted after a year, and completely dissolved the sales team to focus on developing a new product.

I left the startup to go work at a large software company again (think SFDC, Microsoft, Amazon). I was quickly promoted to lead account executive for mid-sized Department of Defense (DoD) sales. This role involved selling my company’s suite of products into the DoD working closely with partners (Deloitte, Accenture, Cap Gemeni, IBM, etc…) to develop proposals and implementation roadmaps. This was a completely client-facing role and I presented our solutions to a large number of important DoD leaders, CIOs, and project leads. I achieved 170% of my quota over the course of my time there, and was public sector account executive of the quarter in Q4 of last year. I also lead a team of 3 business development representatives and one dedicated Sales Engineer.

I left the company after 2 years when my significant-other and I moved to the Middle-East because of a foreign service requirement for her job. I’ve been volunteering full-time at a refugee non-profit organization. I manage their donor relations software, create all donation reports, assist in our monthly audits, and have been leading their current winter fundraising campaign. I will be living here until summer 2020.

Extra curricular: The volunteer work described above Is my biggest “extra curricular”. I was also involved in raising money for a military veterans training and education program at my previous company. Outside that, I’m an avid hiker, having climbed all 48 of New Hampshire’s “4000 footer” mountains. I'm also fluent in French, having grown up in France as a child (moved back to the U.S. in middle school).

Goal of MBA: My goal is to get a position at a management consulting firm (targeting MBB). I’d be specifically interested in joining the sustainability practices at one of these firms in the longer term. My experience in selling enterprise software into large organizations has helped shape my interest in leading large scale organizational change. I am now at a point where I want to focus on issues more in line with my interests, hence the ideal focus on sustainability and climate change. Ultimately I’d like to build a specialization in those areas.

Hi Tayne,

Based on your stats and description of your experience, you have a decent "baseline" as a Ross candidate. Now let's dive into your profile more...

Pros:
- Your stats (GPA, GMAT score, undergrad, years of work experience) are in-line with the Ross student profile
- You sound like you're good at what you do (enterprise software sales) with a myriad of experiences in this field, from small to large companies
- You're able to clearly articulate what you want out of an MBA

Cons:
- Relatively short tenures at each job (seems like the longest is 2 years)
- There may be mixed views about your current volunteer experience. Some adcom members may view it as volunteering while others may view it as an employment gap

Unknowns
- Quality of your recommendation letters
- How does enterprise software sales tie in with your goal of pivoting into consulting for sustainability and climate change? That link isn't clear
- Are you a cultural fit for Ross?

In order to overcome the perceived weaknesses in your profile, you have to address the "Cons" and "Unknowns" head on to assure Ross adcom. To address the short work tenure and current volunteer experience, describe the IMPACT you've made at these organizations, so you come across as somebody who makes meaningful changes to places you go as opposed to someone who lets the circumstances direct his path. The "Unknowns" are great OPPORTUNITIES to improve your profile - make sure you have solid recommenders and crystalize the connections between your past experiences and future goals. Do some research on Ross' culture and position yourself to be someone who will fit in with their student body. Being able to knock these "Unknowns" out of the park will offset some of the "Cons" in your profile.

Ross is not out of the reach for you based on your stats. However, it's not going to be a walk in the park and you'll still need to put in the effort to address the "Cons" and "Unknowns" to make yourself a competitive applicant for Ross and Ross a more realistic target for you. Hope that helps! If you have further questions and would like a more in depth analysis, feel free to reach out to us for a free consultation. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 02:38
I’d greatly appreciate if my profile could be evaluated. Feedback regarding my chances of getting admitted and tips for improving those odds are welcome. I will try to be brief in order not to take a lot of your time. Thanks in advance.

Personal Info: 25 years old Brazilian (from Salvador).

Education: Undergrad - Law School (not ranked);

UNDERGRADUATE GPA: 7,09/10 (Due to imaturity, since i got into university with 16 years old);
POSTGRADUATE GPA: 9,01/10 (Business Law post grad at the best law school of Brazil);
GMAT: 720 (Q50, V38, IR 7, AWA 5.5);
IELTS: 8.0;

Work Exp: 4 years of exp at matriculation:
2 years as an intern in M&A (boutique law firm);
3 years as an Associate Lawer - M&A (boutique law firm);

Extra Cs: Head of the pro bono practise of the law firm i work;
Member of the Brazilian Bar Business Law Commission;
2 months as an English teacher for AIESEC at Colombia;

Languages: Portuguese (fluent), English (fluent/advanced), Spanish ( intermediate) and French (level c1 - advanced)

Goals: To change my career and break into finance industry (PE or IB).

Best regards,
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 20:20
Hi,

my name's Julien.
1. Nationality - China
2. Work Ex - 3.5yrs, Deloitte Consulting.
3. GPA - 3.14
4. GMAT - 700
5. have some international project experience
6. have my own consulting firm with 6 emplyee, revenue RMB 200M
7. Extracurricular: lead a student club with 70 team member and few big projects; found two social enterpise
8. Recommendation: mentor, with Japanese education background; National service leader, Harvard, J.F.Kennedy School; one client, imperial college, Doctor of enginnering

let me know your idea about my chance to Ross. thanks
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 23:44
julienKG wrote:
Hi,

my name's Julien.
1. Nationality - China
3. GPA - 3.14
4. GMAT - 700
7. Extracurricular: lead a student club with 70 team member and few big projects; found two social enterpise
8. Recommendation: mentor, with Japanese education background; National service leader, Harvard, J.F.Kennedy School; one client, imperial college, Doctor of enginnering

Hi Julien,

You have great professional work experience and unique extracurricular experiences of your own consulting firm (that generates revenue!); however, here are some "not so strong" parts about your profile:

- GMAT and GPA are both below Ross average
- Competitive demographic (Chinese male in consulting)

The "unknown" parts of your profile are the quality of your recommendation letters and what you want to do post MBA. As your profile currently stands, Ross seems to be a bit of a stretch for you, but it's not completely out of the reach for you. I would suggest doing the following things to improve your candidacy:

- Retake the GMAT if you've take it less than 3 times. Ross average GMAT is 720 so aim for that. However if you've taken it 3 times or more, then don't do it again as you've probably reached your potential
- have VERY strong and compelling stories of why MBA and why ROSS. Do some research on the school and be able to answer the question why will the school help you achieve your goals?
- Consider the quality of the recommendation that your recommenders will provide you. It's a common misconception that the better the title of the recommender, the better the letter will look to the school. You actually have to think about whether these recommenders know you well enough to write good letters with SPECIFIC examples that speak to your candidacy. Adcom is looking for the content of the letters, not the recommenders' titles

If you can do the above-mentioned points, Ross will become a more realistic target for you. Hope that helps and good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 02:56
Admissionado wrote:
julienKG wrote:
Hi,

my name's Julien.
1. Nationality - China
3. GPA - 3.14
4. GMAT - 700

Hi Julien,

You have great professional work experience and unique extracurricular experiences of your own consulting firm (that generates revenue!); however, here are some "not so strong" parts about your profile:

- GMAT and GPA are both below Ross average
- Competitive demographic (Chinese male in consulting)

The "unknown" parts of your profile are the quality of your recommendation letters and what you want to do post MBA. As your profile currently stands, Ross seems to be a bit of a stretch for you, but it's not completely out of the reach for you. I would suggest doing the following things to improve your candidacy:

- Retake the GMAT if you've take it less than 3 times. Ross average GMAT is 720 so aim for that. However if you've taken it 3 times or more, then don't do it again as you've probably reached your potential
- have VERY strong and compelling stories of why MBA and why ROSS. Do some research on the school and be able to answer the question why will the school help you achieve your goals?
- Consider the quality of the recommendation that your recommenders will provide you. It's a common misconception that the better the title of the recommender, the better the letter will look to the school. You actually have to think about whether these recommenders know you well enough to write good letters with SPECIFIC examples that speak to your candidacy. Adcom is looking for the content of the letters, not the recommenders' titles

If you can do the above-mentioned points, Ross will become a more realistic target for you. Hope that helps and good luck!

Hi,

Many thanks for the advice. they are really helpful for my application strategy.

I do not have plan to take another GMAT test. I want to focus this month on the essaies and other application documents for R2.
I want to set myself apart from other applicants, so currently I will say my immediate post-MBA goal will be to focus on the groth and scale of my firm.
As for recommadation letters, my mentor will talk about my professional skills and service. My boss' boss will talk about my people skills (we have overlap project expericence involving a lot of people skills and interview). From the client, she will talk about my good service and the good result for my service.

thanks
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 22:09
FCSILVAE wrote:
I’d greatly appreciate if my profile could be evaluated. Feedback regarding my chances of getting admitted and tips for improving those odds are welcome. I will try to be brief in order not to take a lot of your time. Thanks in advance.

Personal Info: 25 years old Brazilian (from Salvador).

Education: Undergrad - Law School (not ranked);

UNDERGRADUATE GPA: 7,09/10 (Due to imaturity, since i got into university with 16 years old);
POSTGRADUATE GPA: 9,01/10 (Business Law post grad at the best law school of Brazil);
GMAT: 720 (Q50, V38, IR 7, AWA 5.5);
IELTS: 8.0;

Work Exp: 4 years of exp at matriculation:
2 years as an intern in M&A (boutique law firm);
3 years as an Associate Lawer - M&A (boutique law firm);

Extra Cs: Head of the pro bono practise of the law firm i work;
Member of the Brazilian Bar Business Law Commission;
2 months as an English teacher for AIESEC at Colombia;

Languages: Portuguese (fluent), English (fluent/advanced), Spanish ( intermediate) and French (level c1 - advanced)

Goals: To change my career and break into finance industry (PE or IB).

Best regards,

Hi There,

Starting with the career goals, these are quite workable for a lawyer who has been on the legal side of M&A and deal making and now wants to be the one making the decisions for these deals. When you write your goals statement, show what has excited you about this field and what impact are you going to create in the future. Also, as an advice- PE jobs are very few. It may make more sense talking about IB- also check he employment statistics of your target programs. Another tip: Make sure that your resume is not qualitative and you show the $$ impact of your work.

It would be interesting to hear the story behind your undergrad- why did you start early? were you an exceptional school student? What opportunities did you make use of while at college? How did they shape you as a person? What does a 7 on 10 GPA stand for at your college/ your area of study? If its below average, you can use the optional essay to explain the circumstances and how you have come a long way since then (Post-grad GPA upside being a case in point)

Your position as the head of volunteering/ CSR sounds impressive. How many people are you leading? More important, what projects have you done? what impact have you created and who has benefitted from the activities?

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2019, 22:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   [ 167 posts ] 

Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: variantguy, anjalyly