It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 15:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 16:22
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am interested in getting an MBA to move from the public to the private sector. Below are details of my profile.

Keep in mind I am a privileged white male

Target industries: FinTech as a method of empowerment

GMAT---760
IR- 2
Quant- 48
Verbal-46
AWA- 6

GPA:
3.2 Undergrad GPA
Undergrad majors: Double Major in Political Science and Communication
From top 20 public university
3.85 Grad School GPA
Program: Master in Public Administration from top 10 school

Career:
4.5 years work experience
Director of Communications for a Member of US Congress

Extracurriculars:
Board-member of a membership organization
Part of Mentorship program
Coached youth basketball for two years in college
Completed a National Security course

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 19:53
jmoney44 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am interested in getting an MBA to move from the public to the private sector. Below are details of my profile.

Keep in mind I am a privileged white male

Target industries: FinTech as a method of empowerment

GMAT---760
IR- 2
Quant- 48
Verbal-46
AWA- 6

GPA:
3.2 Undergrad GPA
Undergrad majors: Double Major in Political Science and Communication
From top 20 public university
3.85 Grad School GPA
Program: Master in Public Administration from top 10 school

Career:
4.5 years work experience
Director of Communications for a Member of US Congress

Extracurriculars:
Board-member of a membership organization
Part of Mentorship program
Coached youth basketball for two years in college
Completed a National Security course

Your profile, from a statistical perspective, looks awesome, but I'm guessing you already know this. If you are serious about the program, connect with student ambassador and visit the campus. This demonstrates real interest and allows the university to get a better read on fit. Fit is everything here. We are a very specific culture that admissions works hard to maintain. Best of luck!

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 19:59
ozzyman11 wrote:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and would like to get an idea of my chances for Ross.

Middle eastern male
UG GPA: 2.58 (Yeah i know...)
UG School: West Point (Army service academy). Environmental sciences.
WE: 6 Years total. 5 years as armor officer and 1 year as a helicopter pilot with over 90% in flight school.
GMAT: no scores yet but believe i can get 700.
currently serving as a captain with numerous leadership positions.
1 tour of duty overseas.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ozzyman11,
I agree with previous feedback - your GPA won't kill your chances. You work experience is desirable, and many vets (like myself) are working with a handicap, in terms of traditional metrics. Mine was GPA, also. I was 2.6 from a much less prestigious university. I overcame it with a strong GMAT (above mean), clear interest (multiple visits, etc.), and an awesome (IMHO) optional essay addressing this specific issue (UG GPA). I also highlighted my (limited) graduate-level work with high GPA. Feel free to DM me. Best of luck!
PS. The GMAT is meant to be studied for - it's not an IQ test. Show you willing to put the work in and get a great score! This will show admissions you can hack it. MBA1 first quarter is a b***h, you need to have a strong work ethic!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 05:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is my first post and would like to get an idea of my chances for Ross.
Here's some thoughts below on your profile for Ross....
Middle eastern male
UG GPA: 2.58 (Yeah i know...) If only we could show this to all freshman as a cautionary tale... those UG gpas can come back and bite... but hopefully you have learned something from this- and have some strong quant grades to offer in addition to this...
UG School: West Point (Army service academy). Environmental sciences.
WE: 6 Years total. 5 years as armor officer and 1 year as a helicopter pilot with over 90% in flight school. impressive work experience and shows you can perform under pressure.
GMAT: no scores yet but believe i can get 700. The higher you can get in GMAT, the more forgiving the schools will be on the GPA.... But Ross loves people who learn by doing- and it sounds like that's the kind of person you are-maybe the class did not provide the setting you needed but clearly you have excelled in the real world- so emphasize this point at Ross and know about the MAP program https://michiganross.umich.edu/programs ... iculum/map and make the point that you learn best by doing.... Best wishes and thank you for your service!
currently serving as a captain with numerous leadership positions.
1 tour of duty overseas.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 42

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

GMAT 1: 360 Q17 V21
GMAT 2: 540 Q35 V30
GPA: 2.71
WE: Human Resources (Education)
Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Everyone,

See below for my info and thanks in advance for your help. I met someone from the admissions team at a recent Consortium Event and I left with a great impression of Ross. Working on scheduling a school visit. Thanks for your help.

Background and nationality- 1st generation American. My parents are from Haiti.

Undergrad Information- Small State University. Graduated with a 2.7 gpa, Business Management major. Miserable first two years as an accounting major. Couldn’t picture myself crunching numbers all day so I switched to management before junior year because of the opportunity to take classes focused on HR, organizational behavior etc. wanted to focus on some type of career where I could help people in a way that felt meaningful.

Grades started to trend upward junior year and I made the Dean’s List second semester. Senior year- huge family accident and major health issues back home. Couldn’t focus and did horribly 1 semester. Buckled down and got a 3.26 last semester. Also worked every semester of school. Involved in some clubs and served as Treasurer for one.

GMAT: Still studying and my highest practice exam has been a 540- Q27 V37

Hoping to have around a 700 when it’s all said and done. I’ve been working with a tutor and improvement has been steady. Taking another CAT 10/21

Work experience and leadership
I’ve been fortunate to work for two high performing and well known companies in the education sector.

Second largest charter management org in the US->Recruitment Coordinator 1 year 4 months -> promoted to Associate Director of Recruitment 1 year 3 months -> recruited to join a founding Recruitment Team at the largest charter management org in LA been here for a year. I’ve built our university partnership strategy from scratch and I’ve achieved great results. My particular role has added great value to the org. I’ve even had the opportunity to work with C suite level folks advising them on their staffing.

Community and others- Basketball coach for my former summer team for two years. Won a championship my second year. I really enjoy mentoring youth. Part of the Urban League and I also did iMentor in NYC. Founded a career networking event back in NYC to connect inner city youth to successful professionals.

Post MBA goals- Human Capital Consulting. I’m particularly fond of Deloitte’s HC practice and know some people who work there, including a former recruiter I worked with. I want to make a transition to the private sector as I feel like my development as a professional is getting stagnant. It’s important to me to understand how orgs outside of this sector solve Human Capital issues. Long term I want to land in a Performance Management type of role.

Anything else? I’ve always had a chip on my shoulder because my colleagues have always come from well known schools with high GPAs. I’ve been able to surpass many of them at my jobs. I’ve been fortunate to land at good orgs within my sector and I’ve done my best to make the most of the opportunities. Also I’ll have about 4.5 years of experience at matriculation.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 22:04
Hello guys!

I am an Indian female, have done my engineering from one of the top 10 colleges in the country, my gpa is little on the lower side.

1. Have been working since December 2015 for my family business. I run a team of around 80 faculties at four educational institutions. I also work as the Management head of the institution which has around 1300 students.

2. I co-own and NGO which works for the welfare of the tribal people. Have been awarded for two consecutive years by MLA and district governing body. Also worked under the district governing bodies for country’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and mission Indradhanush.
Organised Blood donation camps.

3. State level player of chess as well swimming. Zonal level athlete.

4. Worked as student coordinator for technical and cultural feat in the college for two consecutive years in the marketing and public relations stream respectively led a team of 80 students.

Chief editor of college magazine.

President of two different clubs at college and led a team of 90 people.

Awarded best speaker in the Model United Nations debate.
Best orator in the South zone.

Kindly evaluate my profile.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 12:06
sdolcine wrote:
Hi Everyone,

See below for my info and thanks in advance for your help. I met someone from the admissions team at a recent Consortium Event and I left with a great impression of Ross. Working on scheduling a school visit. Thanks for your help.

Background and nationality- 1st generation American. My parents are from Haiti.
hi @sdolcine- thanks for your request for a profile review. My advice is to address the gpa in an optional essay- don't make any excuses but just give the context in the way you did here. It would be great if you can get your GMAT up- both for your chances at Ross and for your prospects in consulting. But don't let yourself worry about what others GPAs are- as you said yourself- you can do well at work and that is ultimately what matters.
Undergrad Information- Small State University. Graduated with a 2.7 gpa, Business Management major. Miserable first two years as an accounting major. Couldn’t picture myself crunching numbers all day so I switched to management before junior year because of the opportunity to take classes focused on HR, organizational behavior etc. wanted to focus on some type of career where I could help people in a way that felt meaningful.

Grades started to trend upward junior year and I made the Dean’s List second semester. Senior year- huge family accident and major health issues back home. Couldn’t focus and did horribly 1 semester. Buckled down and got a 3.26 last semester. Also worked every semester of school. Involved in some clubs and served as Treasurer for one.

GMAT: Still studying and my highest practice exam has been a 540- Q27 V37

Hoping to have around a 700 when it’s all said and done. I’ve been working with a tutor and improvement has been steady. Taking another CAT 10/21

Work experience and leadership
I’ve been fortunate to work for two high performing and well known companies in the education sector.

Second largest charter management org in the US->Recruitment Coordinator 1 year 4 months -> promoted to Associate Director of Recruitment 1 year 3 months -> recruited to join a founding Recruitment Team at the largest charter management org in LA been here for a year. I’ve built our university partnership strategy from scratch and I’ve achieved great results. My particular role has added great value to the org. I’ve even had the opportunity to work with C suite level folks advising them on their staffing.
Ross is very much a learn by doing place- so focus your examples on how you have gotten theings done and what you have learned from these experiences. For tips with the Ross essays, read our essay tip guide here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... t-answers/ and also look here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... vious-yes/
Community and others- Basketball coach for my former summer team for two years. Won a championship my second year. I really enjoy mentoring youth. Part of the Urban League and I also did iMentor in NYC. Founded a career networking event back in NYC to connect inner city youth to successful professionals.

Post MBA goals- Human Capital Consulting. I’m particularly fond of Deloitte’s HC practice and know some people who work there, including a former recruiter I worked with. I want to make a transition to the private sector as I feel like my development as a professional is getting stagnant. It’s important to me to understand how orgs outside of this sector solve Human Capital issues. Long term I want to land in a Performance Management type of role.

Anything else? I’ve always had a chip on my shoulder because my colleagues have always come from well known schools with high GPAs. I’ve been able to surpass many of them at my jobs. I’ve been fortunate to land at good orgs within my sector and I’ve done my best to make the most of the opportunities. Also I’ll have about 4.5 years of experience at matriculation.

To get some more personalized conversation about your application started, reach out to us at this link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 42

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 15:27
Hi Nitish, thanks for writing! For Ross, given the competitiveness of your demographic I'd aim for a 730+ score as it's gotten quite selective over the last few years. Regarading your goal - it's fascinating and very ambitious, but you also want to make sure you charter a realistic path for yourself. Consider what a viable short-term goal is, how Ross will help you attain it, and how it will prepare you for your LT goal. Hope that helps a bit - let me know of any other questions! :)

nitishms wrote:
My name is Nitish.

1. Nationality - Indian (Currently residing in Atlanta, GA)
2. Work Ex - 6yrs, 3.5 yrs in India and 2.5 years and ongoing in USA (for two big Corps).
3. Undergrad - Btech in Computer Science.
4. CGPA - 3.5+
5. GMAT - Yet to give Gmat, have my exam this Oct 28th ( My mock scores have been around 650, pretty much hoping more or less similar scores ).
6. USSF D licensed Soccer coach & certified Soccer Scout here in the USA. Coach Soccer teams.
7. Short & Long term plan - Startup a Non Profit Soccer academy in India/South East Asia, leverage technology to educate economically weaker sections of the society with core focus on sports & football.
8. Reason to be applying for Ross is their Social entrepreneurship program that they offer with the MBA.

Let me know what you think ?

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Schools: Insead Sept'18
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.61

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 22:57
Hi all,

I would appreciate it if some of you could help evaluate my profile and fit for the Michigan Ross 2-year MBA program

Nationality- Indian
Age-25
Work ex- 3 years
UG- Mechanical Engineering from Manipal University, amongst the 3 best private universities in India, with a GPA 7.6/10
GMAT- 740 (Q49, V42, IR8, AWA 5.5)

I am currently working at Michelin tires in r&d leading a team of 6.
I was expatriated to France for 21 months, where I learnt my previous role (the function I now lead for Michelin India) and also worked in an antenna team

I do not have much quantifiable community service, or non-profit work.

Interests and hobbies include travel, pop culture and sports.

Any suggestions and comments you might have would be welcome. Thank you all!

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 10:32
Hi, and thanks for writing! You have solid work experience and academics - to maximize your chances for Ross, I recommend highlighting some of your personal aspects/experiences in your essays, particularly in the short (100-word) essays. Ross values candidates who are multidimensional. Also, in the other essay (and interview) be sure to highlight why Ross is a strong fit for you based on its resources/culture.

Hope that helps! :)

arman18 wrote:
Hi all,

I would appreciate it if some of you could help evaluate my profile and fit for the Michigan Ross 2-year MBA program

Nationality- Indian
Age-25
Work ex- 3 years
UG- Mechanical Engineering from Manipal University, amongst the 3 best private universities in India, with a GPA 7.6/10
GMAT- 740 (Q49, V42, IR8, AWA 5.5)

I am currently working at Michelin tires in r&d leading a team of 6.
I was expatriated to France for 21 months, where I learnt my previous role (the function I now lead for Michelin India) and also worked in an antenna team

I do not have much quantifiable community service, or non-profit work.

Interests and hobbies include travel, pop culture and sports.

Any suggestions and comments you might have would be welcome. Thank you all!

Posted from my mobile device

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 09:17
Hi,
Can someone help to evaluate my profile for Ross

Background and nationality: Indian
Undergrad Information: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and Masters in Mechanical Engineering. Undergrad percentage: 66% Masters CGPA: 8.17/10
GMAT: 740 (Q50 V40)
Work experience and leadership: 40 months. I lead a 5 member team in a Patent search and analytics company. I am also founder of a education tech start up and lead a 6 member team. I have won few awards at work. My team has won the best team award across my organization of 2500 employees for the past 2 years.
Community and others: Have been associated with teaching under privileged children, introducing basics of agriculture to school children, marathon runner
Post MBA goals: Entrepreneurship / strategy

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.64
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 15:36
Background and Nationality: White, Male

Undergrad Information: Big Ten School, Finance & Accounting Degrees

GMAT: 730 (Q47, V42, IR 8, AWA 6)

Work Experience and Leadership: Four years in Financial Service Office at Big 4 firm (blend of accounting and consulting)--one of 4 lead associates on multi-million dollar project, Certified Public Accounting

Community and Others: Trekking and Mountaineering -- week long summits of Mt Kilimanjaro (2017), Machu Picchu (2016) and Mt. Rainier (2018), scuba diving, skiing, distance running

Post MBA Goals: Asset Management (majority of my clients served have been large, global asset managers)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2017, 15:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Ross Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap