Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.48
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for UCLA FEMBA & USC PM.MBA [#permalink]
Hey SOCALMBA2013 - In your case, based on the school targets, Rd 2 could be just fine. Round 1 is often an advantage so we certainly wouldn't discourage you from applying then, but it's much more important to be focusing on that GMAT right now. Don't spread yourself too thin by trying to do essays at the same time. The main disadvantage with delaying everything is that you won't know if your apps are screwed up until it's too late... If you try for 1 or 2 schools in Round 1 and you don't get invited to interview, then obviously something is wrong with the pitch. Submitting at least one app in the earliest round gives you a chance to correct course if you've made some blunders.

That being said, the schools always say that a stronger app in a later round is the better way to go, so if you must delay, it could work out. You only get the one chance if you do though! A Round 3 application has a lower chance of success at any school (this is slightly less true for part-time programs but it's still an issue you'd be facing).

In terms of the promotion... this one is impossible to say for sure without knowing the entirety of your profile and how you'd be pitching, but in this specific case, we can actually see some benefit to applying NOW, ***before*** the promotion. That way, you could talk about how the P/T program will be useful to you in your new position - the whole thing being future-focused. You could still do it that way if the promotion already happened but it seems like you could have more impact (be more convincing, have more to talk about) if the promotion was pending.

We're getting into application strategy here though which is misguided; we don't know your story or what you'll be saying in the essays so it's out of turn to be doing so. But we wanted to mention that possibility.

In general, just apply when you're ready - our big concern with telling people that "Round 2 would be fine for you" is that sometimes people completely take a vacation from all their application project stuff when they hear that, and then go into panic-scramble-mode a few weeks ahead of deadline. Not saying you'd do that, but it happens a lot! :-)

It's much better to be working continuously on these different deliverables over a longer period of time - the quality tends to be higher overall.

Hope somewhere in there, we answered your question!! Let us know if not!
EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I wanted to give you an update regarding my candidacy. I took the GMAT again and got the same score! I did worse in the quantitative section and better in verbal. Nonetheless, I submitted my app in Round 1 and I am happy about the rest of my application, especially my essays. I had a one one with the admissions director and he was pretty pleased with my resume. Also, I was selected to participate in UCLA's Embracing Diversity Event. I also had my MBA interview this past weekend and it went great. My interviewer was a 2012 alum and worked at my current company before and we clicked instantly during the interview.

This weekend, I also realized that I am the second worst represented minority, Filipino American, in all of UCLA's graduate programs. Does being an underrepresented minority actually boost my application?

Thanks!
Send PM
SOCALMBA2013 wrote:
I wanted to give you an update regarding my candidacy. I took the GMAT again and got the same score! I did worse in the quantitative section and better in verbal. Nonetheless, I submitted my app in Round 1 and I am happy about the rest of my application, especially my essays. I had a one one with the admissions director and he was pretty pleased with my resume. Also, I was selected to participate in UCLA's Embracing Diversity Event. I also had my MBA interview this past weekend and it went great. My interviewer was a 2012 alum and worked at my current company before and we clicked instantly during the interview.

This weekend, I also realized that I am the second worst represented minority, Filipino American, in all of UCLA's graduate programs. Does being an underrepresented minority actually boost my application?

Thanks!

Thanks for coming back to this thread to give us the update, and congrats on getting that app in for Rd 1! It's also good that you tested again. While it's a bummer that you got the same-exact GMAT score, the fact that you tried again can send good signals to the adcom. It sounds like you're on a positive trajectory with all the progress you've made!

To your question: Being an underrepresented minority can DEFINITELY help - we actually wrote a a guest post for another site on exactly this topic: https://gmat.bellcurves.com/blog/2013/09/09/im-applying-for-an-mba-am-i-a-minority-candidate/ Hopefully that answers your questions about whether you're at an advantage!

Good luck with the FEMBA app and be sure to let us know how it goes for you!!

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your quick reply! I will definitely keep you posted.

Not sure if I can post this, but here is the link to UCLA's Graduate School report if anyone is interested.

https://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/asis/report/aer1112.pdf
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A 640 should be fine for USC Marhsall’s part-time MBA program.

However, a 640 is low for UCLA’s FEMBA program. Per their website (https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/degrees/fu ... -questions) 700 is their median score, 690 is their mean score, and 630-740 is their 10%-90% range.

Congratulations on submitting your application. If you are waitlisted, consider this a signal from the admissions committee that you should retake the exam.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Would being an underrepresented minority help my chances?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
To a degree. Proposition 209 prohibits a state university in California from considering race, sex, or ethnicity in admission but the school can consider diverse experiences. So, UCLA is governed by Proposition 209 whereas USC is not.
Also, MBA schools have traditionally thought of blacks, Latinos and Native Americans as underrepresented minorities, but not Asian Americans as.

But since you submitted your application just wait. If you are waitlisted, then the school is sending you a signal to improve your application with a higher GMAT score.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got the admit call yesterday! Guess my 640 wasn't too low at all. I really focused on my essays, networked extensively, and nailed my interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Congratulations!!!!!
GMAT Club Bot