Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation GMAT 710 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Edge

Well done on your GMAT, and a solid family business experience is not on its own a handicap vs a more traditional job. Rec decisions can always be a bit challenging there but no worries.

Yes your gpa is low, but is it far from a debacle and the back half trend can definitely help.

I would agree with the Bhavik that there is too much distance between your school choices and you may not need to look as low down the rankings. Or at least you can target a few more better programs. How about NYU, Darden, Tepper... (some of these may be out of your geo sweet spot but they are still "east").

I would be happy to discuss your situation in greater detail.

Good Luck,
Alex
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Thanks for all your input guys, it's really appreciated. I'm definitely going to do some research into Darden/Tepper/Stern. How's that line go? "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" haha. I was initially hesitant to look at anything close to that ranking area due to my gpa but trying never hurt. Thanks for the reality check!!!

My current perspective (although its constantly evolving)
Dream/reach schools: yale/cornell/darden/stern/tepper
Range schools: georgetown/unc
Good Value schools: bu/bc
Crossing off Babson for now since I don’t see myself going the route of the entrepreneur and although Uconn offers great value, I dug a bit deeper into their stats and didn't see myself where I wanted to be after graduation.

You both hit the nail on the head. Due to the fact I'm surrounded by family for prospective recommendations I've worked hard to branch out and take some initiative outside of my workplace, although it's still going to be hard to manage not having any recommendations from my place of employment. I have secured some Recs through my volunteer and event planning efforts which hopefully can offset that. Would a company lawyer whom I've worked with closely over the last year have any sway?

dave785 wrote:
Whoa. I feel like i just read my own bio (other than the working for a family business)... and i'm programming my algo in python.

Cool. Let me know how you do - it looks like we have very similar profiles.

EDIT: what exactly do you mean by "Financial Manager"

You mean corporate finance?

Thanks and Good Luck on your journey! Will update as I go. Glad to hear I'm not the only one starring at a computer screen all night haha. Yes corporate finance is the direction I definitely want to head in. That being said I think I have better opportunities for success attending a top 15/20 school vs top 50 from beginning to end if I take that route. I would most likely adjust my career path to brand management for anything outside top 20. I think this list is going to have to shrink or else I have a lot of apps to fill out.
GMAT Club Bot