Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 680 with more than 4Yrs Exp [#permalink]
Aspire009 wrote:
gmatSheeba, Can you please suggest which schools can be safe or medium options based on my credentials

Safe/Medium schools will be :
1. Great Lakes
2. S.p.Jain
3. CUHK
4. IE Spain
5. Hong Kong Univ

Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@gmatsheeba : Is there any safe option is US, canada or singapore ?

Posted from my mobile device
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aspire,

Thanks for posting. And a quick side note, please note that 'gmatsheeba' or whomever has been posting is in no way affiliated with mbaMission, lol! ;)

I would not say you are 'ruled out' from most of those schools solely based upon your 680 GMAT; some of the schools on your list have an AVERAGE GMAT score of 680-690, so certainly you are right there on target, and many are accepted with lower scores than 680 if that is at or near their average! It sounds like you have extensive technical experience, which is solid. However, a couple of potential concerns and caveats....

1) You are part of large applicant pool-- Indian IT and engineering/technical applicants, who often have high GMAT scores by the way. This applicant group tends to be great with the quant and analytical and technical portions of the application and of b-school, but the concern is whether they have strong leadership, management, communication, and team work skills... more of the people skills you could say.

You will have to work hard to stand out from this pool of applicants, from others with similar backgrounds! How? Dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.) Elements you need to convey in your application for a chance at a top rated program include:
-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you

If you lack any of the above components, you risk that another well or similarly-qualified applicant who includes all of those, will wind up getting accepted over you!

2) As just mentioned, the average GMAT score among Indian IT and technical applicants IS a generally higher than your 680, so that could be a reason to try once more with the GMAT, and schools do take your highest score.

3) On your list, Kellogg would definitely be your biggest reach. After that, would come Darden, Tepper, Marshall most likely. What you can do is look at the average GMAT scores for the schools you are interested in (all available on their websites and/or through rankings). As far as international schools, there are certainly many to consider as well. You might review the Financial Times Global MBA ranking for a general idea world-wide.

Wishing you the best on your upcoming steps and research. Keep us posted with q's or updates. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can you Please name few of the safe options for me ( US or canada )
Send PM
Expert Reply
Perhaps you could look into Kelley, Foster, Fisher, Mays, Carroll... to be truly 'safe'... though again you would have a chance, with strong essays/interview, at higher-ranked as well if you want to apply to a few 'reach' programs. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for ur inputs , can u tell few colleges into canada
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here's a thread from here with some info on some Canadian b-schools that are potentially within range:

queen-s-mba-vs-rotman-mba-vs-schulich-mba-127310.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I applied to following university in first round but could not get any admit till now. Followings are the details

1) Emory - Reject (R1)
2) McDonough - Probably reject - as do not receive interview call till now ( R1)
3) Boston university - Probably reject - as do not receive interview call till now ( R1)
4) Cox - Reject
5) Merage (UCI) - Interview done - Result awaited
6) Ivey - Interview done - Result awaited
7) Sauder - application submitted
8) Foster - Application submitted ( R2) - File completed on 27th Nov. have not received till now.

As I have not received any admit till now, so I wish to apply to few of the easy options. Please let me know few colleges which can be good fit for my profile.
Please suggest options into US and Canada both.

Thanks
Khajan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Aspire009 wrote:
I applied to following university in first round but could not get any admit till now. Followings are the details

1) Emory - Reject (R1)
2) McDonough - Probably reject - as do not receive interview call till now ( R1)
3) Boston university - Probably reject - as do not receive interview call till now ( R1)
4) Cox - Reject
5) Merage (UCI) - Interview done - Result awaited
6) Ivey - Interview done - Result awaited
7) Sauder - application submitted
8) Foster - Application submitted ( R2) - File completed on 27th Nov. have not received till now.

As I have not received any admit till now, so I wish to apply to few of the easy options. Please let me know few colleges which can be good fit for my profile.
Please suggest options into US and Canada both.

Thanks
Khajan

Hi Khajan,
I saw your post in the Cox forum and hey man, just keep your chin up, you'll get into a good business school. As far as easy options, I know that Willamette University in Oregon offers big scholarship money and they'll definitely accept you based on your stats (and not in a wait for a month for their decision kind of way but in a few days after your interview kind of way). I would also suggest the University of Tampa is also an easy school for you to get into based on your qualifications. I don't know about Canadian schools because I'm American, but those are two American schools I know of that you should be a shoe-in for. Good luck buddy!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Certainly there are a large number of options out there, especially with a 680. It is a little like throwing a dart on a large dartboard though for me to just arbitrarily pick a few schools for you without knowing more about what you are looking for in a school? I would think, let's say you look to the US News & World Report ranking, schools outside the top 25-30 or so would be more within range, IF you have put together strong ESSAYS to showcase who you are, what you'll bring to the class, and what you will do with the MBA. (You may want to consider getting help on your essays/application if you have not yet, to ensure you're maximizing your profile and chances for success). Fisher? Mendoza? Jones? Carey? But not sure which you've researched and been interested in or ruled our or not etc. Businessweek has nice school profiles to look up. Keep digging and try to find what most appeals to you, AND is within range!
Moderator:
1452 posts