Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT Score 700 (Q50, V35), 7+ years of workex [#permalink]
Hello KS15

There is no rule of course. It would depend on the school you study in. Your skills. Sometimes even your GPA. And finally a dash of luck. Usually the preference turns out to be towards people with lesser experience than you have. Especially in the Indian context (from ISB). As I said, you can get lucky (because it requires several factors to work in your favor), but it is unrealistic to mention it as an umbrella goal for all your applications.

Hope that helps.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

KS15 wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello gorakinkard

To gain admission you will need a spike in minimum 2-3 factors of the 4 mentioned below (will review your profile on all four too)

1. Academic Potential- Indians are generally expected to score high on the GMAT. 700 is a good score but by no means extraordinary for the over-represented Indian pool. This surely doesn't mean a spike. I would recommend a re-take if you can take this score up by at least 30 points.
2. Quality of Work Ex- More than the role and industry that you have mentioned- focus on achievements and business impact. 2 promotions sound good- but how did you impact your business/organization positively to gain these promotions. The schools are more interested in the stores behind all of this. You may have a spike here, but with the given info it is tough to identify.
3. Diversity- Being an Indian- you will need to highlight your differentiating factors. How are your a good addition to the class and how will your peers benefit from your presence? Your industry is different from the average Indian applicant (IT) that may add some brownie points, but it is your stories/experiences and extracurricular activities which will help you stand out.
4. Post MBA goals- This is the most significant piece of the admissions puzzle. Your post MBA goals have to be realistic for your profile and should fit what the school can offer. Moving into management consulting after 7 years of experience is going to be unrealistic to say the least. You could always get lucky (never say never) but it usually doesn't happen. Analytics could happen but not sure how you justify that transition. What transferable skills have you gained to make this a successful transition.

As mentioned above, at least 2-3 out of these 4 factors will need a spike. Identifying a spike is difficult in the last three in light of the info provided. So in that case the best I can recommend you is to re-take the GMAT & bump it up to 730+. Unfortunately, cannot speculate on the choice of schools without knowing more.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

gorakinkard wrote:
Dear All,

Will be grateful if you could review my profile and suggest how to go forward. I am in a dilemma whether I should focus on my application or retake the GMAT.

Nationality: Indian
Sex: Male
Marital Status: Married

SSC (State Board): 86% (School Topper)
HSC (State Board): 74%
Undergrad Institution: National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
Undergrad GPA: 8.0 / 10 (Hons.)
Concentration: Mining Engineering

Work Experience: 7 years as on 1st July 2018 (continuing with the same organization since 1st July 2011)
Have worked in Operations & TQM, Safety, Industrial Park Development and Supply Chain Management functions of one of the prominent steel manufacturing company in the world. Have got excellent performance reviews and 2 promotions in the past 7 years. Currently, I am working as a Senior Manager (supply chain management) in one of the divisions of the organization and leading 100+ people to meet divisional objectives.

Extra Curricular: Have been active with the CSR wing of the organization from 2014. Have personally mentored more than 10 students from poor areas. Do not have any personal hobby / school positions to show as I did have a very difficult childhood and the prime objective of my self development has been to achieve greater heights professionally while helping / mentoring as many people as I can. I do dig ESPNcricinfo in my free time.

Post MBA goal: To change my industry to consulting. Moving to analytics is also an option as I have worked on a few analytics projects at work.

Target Schools: Tuck, Booth, HEC Paris and ISB, Hyderabad

Reach Schools: Would like some recommendations on programs that might be worthwhile based on profile.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback!

I am surprised you mentioned moving into MC in 'unrealistic' with 7 years. I know tons of people who are doing MC with 7-10years exp before MBA from top 20.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT Score 700 (Q50, V35), 7+ years of workex [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gorakinkard wrote:
Dear All,

Will be grateful if you could review my profile and suggest how to go forward. I am in a dilemma whether I should focus on my application or retake the GMAT.

Work Experience: 7 years as on 1st July 2018 (continuing with the same organization since 1st July 2011)
Have worked in Operations & TQM, Safety, Industrial Park Development and Supply Chain Management functions of one of the prominent steel manufacturing company in the world. Have got excellent performance reviews and 2 promotions in the past 7 years. Currently, I am working as a Senior Manager (supply chain management) in one of the divisions of the organization and leading 100+ people to meet divisional objectives.

Extra Curricular: Have been active with the CSR wing of the organization from 2014. Have personally mentored more than 10 students from poor areas. Do not have any personal hobby / school positions to show as I did have a very difficult childhood and the prime objective of my self development has been to achieve greater heights professionally while helping / mentoring as many people as I can. I do dig ESPNcricinfo in my free time.

Post MBA goal: To change my industry to consulting. Moving to analytics is also an option as I have worked on a few analytics projects at work.

Reach Schools: Would like some recommendations on programs that might be worthwhile based on profile.

Hi,

Your work experience seems to be quite competitive. While two promotions in 7 years don't tell us much, it would be more relevant to know if these are out of turn or on time. In terms of achievement, the impact you have created, preferably with quantifiable measurements is important. Your leadership responsibilities sound to be great, but again some context will make it sound more wow- are you the only one in your age/level bracket leading 100+ teams?

My strongest recommendation for profile building will be to retake the GMAT and get it up to a 730+ figure, especially if you are targeting the top 10 US MBA programs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,
Your credentials are good and your job experience depicts your competence and competitiveness. As already mentioned, you may want to improve your GMAT to better your chances at your target schools.

Alternatively, with your current work experience and GMAT score, you stand a fair chance at schools that prefer candidates with operations profile. Based on the information shared by you, we believe you have a strong chance of getting calls from Purdue and Kelley. Ross might be a bit of a stretch, but still worth trying.

We at “BeyondtheGMAT” provide a free evaluation of your profile and guide you in selecting your target business schools. We help you shape an all-rounded application that resonates well with the adcoms at each B school.
Connect with us through call or https://gmatclub.com/chat @+91-7022839859 or email us your one page CV at beyondthegmat [at] gmail [dot] com.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
gorakinkard wrote:
Dear All,

Hello gorakinkard,

Apologies for a delayed response but we hope this finds you in time still.

Your fine academic background, leadership experience, and extra-curriculars will definitely help you in putting forth a rich story in your essays, provided you spend a good amount of time deliberating on the same :-)

Having said the above, some of the schools you are targetting are among the top-10 in the world and while the 700 is okay (though, not stellar) for a school such as ISB, for the remaining programs, a retake is strongly recommended. We would say, you must look for a score around 740+, the higher the better. This will enable you to differentiate your profile.

The essays will be just as crucial as your GMAT score because schools evaluate profiles in a holistic manner and make sure your career goals appear to be in close sync with your existing experience and your short-term goals and long-term aspirations fit in seamlessly.

Should you have any followup queries, feel free to write to us.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot