It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation help: Scientific Research to MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation help: Scientific Research to MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 04:59
Hello everyone,

I would like some expert comments on my candidacy at top 15 MBA colleges in USA. Dream Schools: HAAS and STANFORD

Brief overview:

Education: Integrated Masters of Technology (Geophysics). IIT Roorkee (Tier-1 Engineering institute in India) - 5 year course
GPA: 6.4
GMAT: 710 (Q49, V38)
TOEFL: Soon
Indian

Work Experience: Total 4+ years

StartUp in India (failed) (jun,2016- june, 2017)
worked on an exploration product/service for geothermal. Presented our work and reports to multiple government organizations in India. Did a proof of concept study for Oil and natural gas corporation India (for geothermal initiative). We were not able to generate any revenue. After a year decided to shut it down .

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory ( Aug, 2013- Feb, 2016)

I started as a Student Assistant and final title before leaving the job was Sr. Research Associate. Had three promotions in a span of 2.5 years.
Most of my work was on Geothermal Energy. My work involved product/service development, project handling, business development etc,. I worked on project funded by CHEVRON, Calpine Corporation (Leading geothermal company in the world), EDC, Phillippines ( World's second largest geothermal produced company in the world), Department of Energy (USA), etc,. Collaborative work across different organizations and universities was a major component.

consultant (contract - 3 months)
Geothermal Energy

Internship: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, USA (summers 2012)

Extra curricular
- In college was majorly involved in cultural and sports events organizing. Represented IIT in FOOTBALL and Pole vault at INTER IIT SPORTS Competition. Was a member of CHOREOGRAPHY section at college. I have always been involved in sports. I love outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, rafting etc. Have done plenty of hikes in India as well as in USA.
- Didn't get extra time for community work while I was at college and while working in USA.

Post MBA Goals

Short Term:
Want to work in Clean energy Industry . Gain more knowledge and experience and make more connections.

Long term Goal:
Want to start an organization in India promoting technology development in Clean Tech, collaborating with government, Universities and other research institutions all around the world. More like a social entrepreneurship

Top MBA colleges priority: HAAS School of Business and Stanford as they are well known for their initiative in Clean energy.

All suggestions are welcome. I am really looking forward to it.
The other question I have is that should I take GMAT again? I did mess up the test. I was scoring more than this in gmat preps and I am confident that I can score around 740 in next attempt.

Thanks
Ankit

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation help: Scientific Research to MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 11:16
ankit1345 wrote:
Hello everyone,
hi ankit1345, thanks for your question. I will answer below
I would like some expert comments on my candidacy at top 15 MBA colleges in USA. Dream Schools: HAAS and STANFORD

Brief overview:

Education: Integrated Masters of Technology (Geophysics). IIT Roorkee (Tier-1 Engineering institute in India) - 5 year course
GPA: 6.4
GMAT: 710 (Q49, V38)
TOEFL: Soon
Indian

Work Experience: Total 4+ years

And in terms of picking some great schools for you- rather than just look at the rankings why don't you also consider looking at making your own- and we have a great webinar on that topic to help you pick your own best MBA programs- so here is a link to listen to that webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Qwf1keExQ

StartUp in India (failed) (jun,2016- june, 2017)
worked on an exploration product/service for geothermal. Presented our work and reports to multiple government organizations in India. Did a proof of concept study for Oil and natural gas corporation India (for geothermal initiative). We were not able to generate any revenue. After a year decided to shut it down .

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory ( Aug, 2013- Feb, 2016)

I started as a Student Assistant and final title before leaving the job was Sr. Research Associate. Had three promotions in a span of 2.5 years.
Most of my work was on Geothermal Energy. My work involved product/service development, project handling, business development etc,. I worked on project funded by CHEVRON, Calpine Corporation (Leading geothermal company in the world), EDC, Phillippines ( World's second largest geothermal produced company in the world), Department of Energy (USA), etc,. Collaborative work across different organizations and universities was a major component.

consultant (contract - 3 months)
Geothermal Energy

Internship: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, USA (summers 2012)

Extra curricular
- In college was majorly involved in cultural and sports events organizing. Represented IIT in FOOTBALL and Pole vault at INTER IIT SPORTS Competition. Was a member of CHOREOGRAPHY section at college. I have always been involved in sports. I love outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, rafting etc. Have done plenty of hikes in India as well as in USA.
- Didn't get extra time for community work while I was at college and while working in USA.

Post MBA Goals

Short Term:
Want to work in Clean energy Industry . Gain more knowledge and experience and make more connections.

Long term Goal:
Want to start an organization in India promoting technology development in Clean Tech, collaborating with government, Universities and other research institutions all around the world. More like a social entrepreneurship

Top MBA colleges priority: HAAS School of Business and Stanford as they are well known for their initiative in Clean energy.

All suggestions are welcome. I am really looking forward to it.
The other question I have is that should I take GMAT again? I did mess up the test. I was scoring more than this in gmat preps and I am confident that I can score around 740 in next attempt.

Thanks
Ankit

Beyond the schools you mention like Haas and Stanford, why don't you also look at some of the programs in Texas like UT Austin or Rice? I would say that if you can take the GMAT again and get closer to 740 then that could help you a lot in this process. Keep in mind that the GMAT avg at GSB is now 740 and you are coming from a very competitive pool to start with. For social entrepreneurship- also look at schools like Yale, Fuqua, Georgetown, Kellogg,
Tuck to see if you might find a good fit at one of these schools. We encourage you to reach out to talk to one of our counselors for a free consult where we can dig deeper on your situation- the link to sign up is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 40

Re: Profile Evaluation help: Scientific Research to MBA   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2017, 11:16

Profile Evaluation help: Scientific Research to MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap