GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - IceMan2020

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB, NUS, HEC Montreal, NTU
Premium Member
Profile Evaluation - IceMan2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 12:59
Hi AvantiPrep

Hope you are doing well and staying safe as we live through these apocalyptic days.

I was hoping if you could evaluate my profile and help me figure out my chances of getting into ISB Co'22.

GMAT: Yet to take the exam
Background: Indian Engineering Male (The worst possible trio :( you read it right)

Acads:
1) Class X: 93.4% (ICSE Board)
2) Class XII: 85.0% (State Board) - Awarded scholarship by State Govt for performance within top 1% of HSC Board
3) Graduation: Bachelor of Engineering with an 8/10 CGPA (not sure if ISB wants us to convert this to GPA)
4) Cleared CFA Level 1

Work Experience:
- Currently working with a bulge bracket Investment Bank for 32 months. I have consistently been a strong performer in my batch year and team which helped me get a fast-track promotion last year. I was also the first analyst to be deputed to Los Angeles to work with the onshore team for one month. Started as a junior analyst, I am now the senior most member in my team (after my manager) and hence entrusted with a lot of leadership responsibilities. Although not being the manager on paper I still actively contribute in managing the team members, team's work, and coordinating with all the relevant stakeholders (Not sure if this helps demonstrate Leadership skills - as I'm not the manager on paper). In addition to that I have solely trained ~11 juniors on topics such as valuation and capital structure comparison.

Apart from all of this I have been an active participant in firm wide activities including CSR and participating in competitions. I was also ranked among the top 10% (in a batch of 30) in the Analyst training program conducted by The WallStreetWiz.

I have also worked on several multi million dollar deals including acquisition financing, capital structure strategies, and treasury deals.

Co-curricular activities:
- Elected as Head Boy for Academic year 2010-11 based on the scholastic performance & leadership capabilities
- Represented Mumbai University for a National Level Robotics Competition at IIT Delhi
- IEEE (an International Student Body) Chairperson for my engineering college. During that time I spearheaded several inter & intra college events & symposiums. The highlight remains my team and I organizing "The International Symposium on Internet of Things" in collaboration with a US based startup
- Active coordinator of IEEE Bombay Section (which includes 100+ engineering colleges)

Extra-curricular activities:
- Marketing head of college’s Cultural and Technical Fest
- Student Ambassador of the NGO - Indian Development Foundation
- Campus Ambassador for The Grapevine Co. (which included working with clients like MTV and ITC)

Courses:
- Portfolio and Risk Management by Indian School of Business on Coursera

Others:
- I had co-founded a start-up (earlier this year) with my friend but we had to shut shop because our business model was severely impacted by COVID-19. However we still had some initial success and were able to get a couple of clients on board. (Not sure if i can put this failed attempt on my resume) - Kindly advice.

Hobbies:
- Modelling (a few print media advertisements), Acting, & Football

Thank you so much for reading through such a long post. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my chances at ISB Co'22, my target score, and any other advice. I can understand if you might not not be able to help me provide color on ISB in particular (if that college not your expertise) but would still appreciate any other advice and a target score.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile Evaluation - IceMan2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 09:07
Hi Iceman2020,

Thank you for your post. My immediate reaction is that with the right GMAT score and strong applications, you can be competitive for ISB. The combination of front-office, bulge-bracket investment banking experience, international experience in Los Angeles, ever-increasing leadership responsibilities, and deep training and mentorship provide you with a very nice platform.

Regarding the startup, I would have to learn more about it to determine whether it warrants inclusion on your resume, though I'd learn toward yes, with the manner and length of inclusion dependent on how long it lasted and what the details were. (If it never got off the ground, then it might be one line at the bottom.) More importantly, I would encourage you to consider the lessons of that experience; don't shy away from failure in your applications... be authentic and specific about what you learned. Where exactly that shows up in essays and interviews depends on a given school's questions, of course, but in your case, it could be interesting to find a way to share that experience, what it felt like, the lessons you learned, and how you grew.)

Remember that what you do with that foundation -- how you dissect your experiences; unpack and articulate the different things you've learned; how you've failed and grown; the impact you've created; and how all of this ties into your goals -- will be critical to your applications. Even with interesting experiences and a (hopefully) good score, a huge amount has to go into your story development, career goal specificity, articulation of why you need an MBA, articulation of how each school would fill those needs, and why you fit / how you would uniquely contribute to each. What exactly are your post-MBA career goals? What is the passion and purpose behind these goals? What bigger picture business (or world) problems are you driven to solve?

What knowledge, skill, and experience do you have that are relevant to these goals? What knowledge, skill, and experience are you missing and therefore need to acquire via an MBA? And again, how exactly will you acquire these things / fill these gaps at each program, and how exactly do you intend to contribute (beyond simply saying "I intend to join XYZ Club..." (which everyone says, but offers zero substance). You can read more about certain of these cornerstone (but often overlooked) application elements here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

The GMAT result will be very important for you and the quality of your applications, essays, resume, recommendations, and interviews will be very important as well (in line with the above, and as they are for everyone!). A final observation would be that you are perhaps a hint on the younger side, so making sure that you draw upon and articulate your leadership experience will be valuable as well. (You'd probably only be a year below average for ISB at enrollment, but <3 years of experience to "write about" and "share" at the point of application can be limited relative to others you're competing against, so be proactive about that!)

I wish you the best of luck!

Kind Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB, NUS, HEC Montreal, NTU
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 09:30
Hi AvantiPrep and Greg,

Thanks so much for typing out such a detailed response and analysis for my profile! Really appreciate it. I am definitely going to keep these points in mind while prepping for my GMAT and while writing my essays.

For now can I just spend some time to digest this information and then get back to you later?

Once again thanks for your previous response!

AvantiPrep wrote:
Hi Iceman2020,

Thank you for your post. My immediate reaction is that with the right GMAT score and strong applications, you can be competitive for ISB. The combination of front-office, bulge-bracket investment banking experience, international experience in Los Angeles, ever-increasing leadership responsibilities, and deep training and mentorship provide you with a very nice platform.

Regarding the startup, I would have to learn more about it to determine whether it warrants inclusion on your resume, though I'd learn toward yes, with the manner and length of inclusion dependent on how long it lasted and what the details were. (If it never got off the ground, then it might be one line at the bottom.) More importantly, I would encourage you to consider the lessons of that experience; don't shy away from failure in your applications... be authentic and specific about what you learned. Where exactly that shows up in essays and interviews depends on a given school's questions, of course, but in your case, it could be interesting to find a way to share that experience, what it felt like, the lessons you learned, and how you grew.)

Remember that what you do with that foundation -- how you dissect your experiences; unpack and articulate the different things you've learned; how you've failed and grown; the impact you've created; and how all of this ties into your goals -- will be critical to your applications. Even with interesting experiences and a (hopefully) good score, a huge amount has to go into your story development, career goal specificity, articulation of why you need an MBA, articulation of how each school would fill those needs, and why you fit / how you would uniquely contribute to each. What exactly are your post-MBA career goals? What is the passion and purpose behind these goals? What bigger picture business (or world) problems are you driven to solve?

What knowledge, skill, and experience do you have that are relevant to these goals? What knowledge, skill, and experience are you missing and therefore need to acquire via an MBA? And again, how exactly will you acquire these things / fill these gaps at each program, and how exactly do you intend to contribute (beyond simply saying "I intend to join XYZ Club..." (which everyone says, but offers zero substance). You can read more about certain of these cornerstone (but often overlooked) application elements here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

The GMAT result will be very important for you and the quality of your applications, essays, resume, recommendations, and interviews will be very important as well (in line with the above, and as they are for everyone!). A final observation would be that you are perhaps a hint on the younger side, so making sure that you draw upon and articulate your leadership experience will be valuable as well. (You'd probably only be a year below average for ISB at enrollment, but <3 years of experience to "write about" and "share" at the point of application can be limited relative to others you're competing against, so be proactive about that!)

I wish you the best of luck!

Kind Regards,
Greg
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 09:32
Thank you, Iceman2020. My pleasure. Please feel free to reach out any time / at your convenience!

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation - IceMan2020   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2020, 09:32

Profile Evaluation - IceMan2020

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep