GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation-Indian Engg Male with 12+ years experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Profile Evaluation-Indian Engg Male with 12+ years experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 19:12
Hi,

I have taken the GMAT and scored 620 (Q46, V29). I am an electrical engineer working in a steel PSU for past 11years and 8 months. Prior experience is also in an aeronautical PSU for a year. I feel my career has plateaued and needs a shift to enhance my professional growth. I am aiming to get admitted to one of the top colleges in INDIA that include IIM-A, B, C, I and ISB. I have shortlisted these colleges for one-year executive PGP course. But the average scores of all these colleges fall in the range of 680-720.

I am planning to retake the GMAT. At the same time i would like my profile to be evaluated. I have not so exciting profile with few extra circular activities, mostly academic like debates and presentations during school days. As I started my career, I developed an interest in traveling. I further extended that to own biking expeditions with friends (no documented proof as such). Then I developed keen interest in trekking and joined Youth Hostels Association of India (YHAI) as a life member. I successfully completed SARPASS trek but continue on further expeditions as I met with an accident and hurt my knee. My outdoor extra-circular activities came to an abrupt stop. Then I ventured into setting up a business startup along with my wife - a 20 seater data entry and non-voice BPO process. But since I was holding a PSU job, the startup was not in my name but my wife and her former colleague. After a year into the startup, being in a tier two city, acquiring projects was getting very difficult. Eventually, we had to transfer the startup to my wife's colleague who wanted to merge the company with his own. Thus my startup too came to an end in 2015. And since, I have been wit my job. I have represented my organization twice at National Competition for Young Managers (NCYM) , conducted by All India Management Association (AIMA). Our team stood 3rd, once.

Electrical Engineering - 63.81% (INDIA) (Converted GPA - 2.55)
GATE - 93.02 %ile
M-tech - NIT, Bhopal (discontinued after 1st semester as I got a job and I had to take it. Should I mention it?)
Experience - Dec-2005 till date

With this kind of a profile, does my choice of colleges look too ambitious?. What can I do to further strengthen my profile? Please give your valuable inputs so that I can be well prepared.

Thank You
CrackVerbal Co-Founder
S
Schools: IIMA
Re: Profile Evaluation-Indian Engg Male with 12+ years experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 23:03
spkumar wrote:
Hi,

I have taken the GMAT and scored 620 (Q46, V29). I am an electrical engineer working in a steel PSU for past 11years and 8 months. Prior experience is also in an aeronautical PSU for a year. I feel my career has plateaued and needs a shift to enhance my professional growth. I am aiming to get admitted to one of the top colleges in INDIA that include IIM-A, B, C, I and ISB. I have shortlisted these colleges for one-year executive PGP course. But the average scores of all these colleges fall in the range of 680-720.

I am planning to retake the GMAT. At the same time i would like my profile to be evaluated. I have not so exciting profile with few extra circular activities, mostly academic like debates and presentations during school days. As I started my career, I developed an interest in traveling. I further extended that to own biking expeditions with friends (no documented proof as such). Then I developed keen interest in trekking and joined Youth Hostels Association of India (YHAI) as a life member. I successfully completed SARPASS trek but continue on further expeditions as I met with an accident and hurt my knee. My outdoor extra-circular activities came to an abrupt stop. Then I ventured into setting up a business startup along with my wife - a 20 seater data entry and non-voice BPO process. But since I was holding a PSU job, the startup was not in my name but my wife and her former colleague. After a year into the startup, being in a tier two city, acquiring projects was getting very difficult. Eventually, we had to transfer the startup to my wife's colleague who wanted to merge the company with his own. Thus my startup too came to an end in 2015. And since, I have been wit my job. I have represented my organization twice at National Competition for Young Managers (NCYM) , conducted by All India Management Association (AIMA). Our team stood 3rd, once.

Electrical Engineering - 63.81% (INDIA) (Converted GPA - 2.55)
GATE - 93.02 %ile
M-tech - NIT, Bhopal (discontinued after 1st semester as I got a job and I had to take it. Should I mention it?)
Experience - Dec-2005 till date

With this kind of a profile, does my choice of colleges look too ambitious?. What can I do to further strengthen my profile? Please give your valuable inputs so that I can be well prepared.

Thank You

Hello spkumar,

You are a good fit for the executive MBA programs that IIMs and ISB offer. Remember your experience will be assessed till March 2020. So make sure you check with IIM Bangalore especially ( you should write to them and ask if you can apply) as their eligibility requirement says "preferably with max 12 years experience". However, I know someone I worked with wrote to them as she had more than 12 years experience and they were ok with it.

Your GMAT Score is slightly on the lower side. You need to work on improving your score. Most people applying for this program are applying with great profiles as
yours so GMAT Scores become an important factor for them to assess when it comes to an admit.

I think you can bring in a lot of positives from your profile. Your love for travel, your startup stint, career progression working with a PSU. What is important is showcasing your profile in the right way.

Please do plan retaking the GMAT so that chances of admits are higher.

Regards,
Shree
Improve your score : http://bit.ly/2Q485n3
Crackverbal Online http://bit.ly/2Q2Wyo2 :
Re: Profile Evaluation-Indian Engg Male with 12+ years experience   [#permalink] 14 May 2019, 23:03

Profile Evaluation-Indian Engg Male with 12+ years experience

new topic post reply Update application status