Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.89
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian, GMAT-650 with 5 years exp [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Suresh, once again, your auto-evaluation is spot on. Now, it's very hard for me to "choose schools for you", because once you get past the evaluation of your chances, the rest will depend on fit, location, your own personal likes, needs and desires... and I don't know all that stuff yet... :)

To see pricing for our services, just drop by our website: www.admissionado.com, and click on MBA, and we'll take it from there!

Cheerio
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

How are you!

Its been a long journey for me in trying to get an admission into a reputed school. I have been denied by many top schools and not sure of the reasons.
UNC, Rice, A&M, SMU(Singapore), Purdue, Hough, Wake-Forest, Maryland - all these schools denied me.

May be I did not prepare my essays well or did not shortlist schools as per my profile and score.

For a final laugh, I got an admission into Rutgers Business school, Newark & NewBrunswick. I know this is a good school and has a good brand associated with it. But I wanted to know your thoughts on this school and career at this university.
I opted for Operations(SCM) during application, although I am interested in marketing.

Also, I got waitlisted in George Washington university.

Please suggest me the best school of these two to choose to start off my career.

Please advice,

Thanks,
Suresh
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, it's hard to say what might have "gone wrong" without looking at your stuff, but anyhow that is water under the bridge. So from what I understand, you are going to accept one of the offers you already have, and not try and retake the GMAT and reapply next year, right???

From the schools you listed, either Rutgers or GW are the better schools, and I would say the two are quite similar in prestige. So wait until you get your results form GW and then select your school based on your thoughts on fit, and whichever schools fit your preferences for location, size, etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the response.

Ahh, you have put me in a dilemma now, suggesting that both the schools are of similar range.
I was thinking to attempt GMAT once again before I got the result of Rutgers, but now I have decided to join this year as I have already spent more than a year on preparation and wait. Also, I cannot afford to postpone this further. So, I hope joining any of these schools is a good decision and I would have good future, right??

The problem with GWU is that I am not sure when they would confirm the admission. As an international applicant, I have many things to look after and for these I need time at least 2 months(from visa to loans & notice period).

My actual preference was Marketing, but as I was getting rejected by schools I opted for Operations Management(Supply Chain) for both Rutgers & GWU. I heard that Rutgers is ranked #3 in SCM and not sure about GWU. How is the marketing program in both of these schools and which school is better in marketing??
Also, give your thoughts on Supply chain management as well, please. Being from a mechanical engineering background, I don't have issues in taking up SCM as well.

I don't have any preference for location and I hope both of these schools are located in good locations(NJ & D.C). I also heard from people that Rutgers has an excellent brand image in USA.

While submitting my GWU application, I mentioned my GPA as 3.5 based on a assumption( I mentioned the same to all other univ). But when Rutgers asked me to evaluate my transcripts, I did it via WES and my GPA was given as 3.89. I sent a mail to GWU saying the same and update my GPA. I did not hear from them yet. How much time would the universities take to confirm a wailisted applicant. Any thoughts please?

Taking all these into account, please suggest me which is the better school and which would give me a could career path.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Suresh
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hmmm, I see. Well, like I wrote, I don't think there is an obvious choice here. So I don't want to tell you "go here", because I think they are both good Tier 2 programs, and both have good names. I don't know which rankings you are referring to, but I saw that Rutgers is actually ranked 20. No matter. Both seem to be good programs for SCM, but look at the employment stats carefully. Actually from the 2011 graduating class at GWU 9% went into SCM, and their largest employer is GE. https://business.gwu.edu/careercenter/em ... A_2011.pdf. Rutgers is here: https://www.business.rutgers.edu/mba/car ... t-outcomes.

I would also suggest going straight to the horse's mouth - I mean try and get in contact with one or two people from your industry in each school and get some info from them.

Salary stats are quite similar as you can see. So for me it's a bit of a toss-up. But anyhow, until you hear back from GW it will be hard to decide I understand. You can try to gently prod them a bit. Maybe write them a very kind and very polite email asking when they might expect results because you have to make a decision given the time necessary for you to get a visa... see what happens.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts