GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation (INSEAD): Indian F 26, Corporate Lawyer (GMAT 710)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.25
WE: Law (Law)
Profile Evaluation (INSEAD): Indian F 26, Corporate Lawyer (GMAT 710)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 08:22
GMAT: 710 (V40, Q47, IR5, AWA 6)

Educational qualifications: I have completed my schooling at a school that features every year in the Times of India top 10 schools in India. I secured 95% in 10th and 86% in 12th.

Thereafter, I studied my law (5-year B.A.LL.B course) in one of the top 10 law schools in the country. My grades in college are unfortunately average. In top 25 in a batch of 100.

Work experience: I have around 4 years of PQE (and will complete 5 by the time of starting the session). First 2 years were at one of top 5 law firms in India, through college placements. The subsequent 2 years (and where I am working right now) is at the #1 law firm in India. I work as a corporate lawyer (specializing in M&A and private equity investments) and mostly work with foreign clients being companies (many US, UK, Chinese, Australian and Singapore clients) and PE funds (such Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, Warburg Pincus and Brookfield) looking at investments in India.

I have recently been promoted to a Senior Associate, which is one of the only 3 promotions that we receive in our entire careers in law firms. Our designations are Associate ---> Senior Associate ----> Principal Associate ----> Partner. Further, I have consistently been rated very high in terms of performance and have received high bonus payouts. My job profile is very high in client facing work and involves no court experience, since I am a corporate lawyer and deal with transactions such as share purchase, acquisitions, mergers etc., and not litigation.

Recommendations: I can obtain recommendations from my current boss (a partner at my firm), another partner at my firm that I work for extensively, and my ex-boss (a partner at my ex-firm).

Co-curriculars: Have 2 legal research papers as publications in journals and 1 legal research paper presentation. Also have 1 moot court participation in a national level moot court competition.

Extra-curricular:
a) During College:
• Volunteering at an NGO that provides free legal aid to socially disadvantaged women.
• Teaching at a coaching class for CLAT (Common Law Admission Test - the Indian equivalent of LSAT ).
• Part-time content writing for websites (including the blog of an online retailer).
• Headed the book clubs on sci-fi and fantasy literature and organized intra-college crossword tournaments.
• In the organization committee of an inter-law school sports festival organized by our law school.

b) Post College:
• Mentoring a financially disadvantaged teenager with an NGO.
• Handled the CSR activity of a listed company in Indore with a friend by creating a plan for manufacturing low-cost sanitary napkins for distribution in Indore to disadvantaged women.

c) Office participation:
• Part of the team which suggests ideas and drives the updating of the technological systems within the workplace for increased productivity.
• Regularly conduct workshops in office on sexual harassment at the workplace.

Do I stand a chance at INSEAD with my profile? I identify my major flaws as (i) not very high GMAT score, (ii) an unbalanced GMAT score, and (iii) not securing very high grades during my undergrad.

Thanks to whoever is kind enough to evaluate my profile!
CrackVerbal Co-Founder
B
Re: Profile Evaluation (INSEAD): Indian F 26, Corporate Lawyer (GMAT 710)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 02:23
LadyGaladriel wrote:
GMAT: 710 (V40, Q47, IR5, AWA 6)

Educational qualifications: I have completed my schooling at a school that features every year in the Times of India top 10 schools in India. I secured 95% in 10th and 86% in 12th.

Thereafter, I studied my law (5-year B.A.LL.B course) in one of the top 10 law schools in the country. My grades in college are unfortunately average. In the top 25 in a batch of 100.

Work experience: I have around 4 years of PQE (and will complete 5 by the time of starting the session). First 2 years were at one of top 5 law firms in India, through college placements. The subsequent 2 years (and where I am working right now) is at the #1 law firm in India. I work as a corporate lawyer (specializing in M&A and private equity investments) and mostly work with foreign clients being companies (many US, UK, Chinese, Australian and Singapore clients) and PE funds (such Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, Warburg Pincus and Brookfield) looking at investments in India.

I have recently been promoted to a Senior Associate, which is one of the only 3 promotions that we receive in our entire careers in law firms. Our designations are Associate ---> Senior Associate ----> Principal Associate ----> Partner. Further, I have consistently been rated very high in terms of performance and have received high bonus payouts. My job profile is very high in a client facing work and involves no court experience since I am a corporate lawyer and deal with transactions such as share purchase, acquisitions, mergers, etc., and not litigation.

Recommendations: I can obtain recommendations from my current boss (a partner at my firm), another partner at my firm that I work for extensively, and my ex-boss (a partner at my ex-firm).

Co-curriculars: Have 2 legal research papers as publications in journals and 1 legal research paper presentation. Also, have 1 moot court participation in a national level moot court competition.

Extra-curricular:
a) During College:
• Volunteering at an NGO that provides free legal aid to socially disadvantaged women.
• Teaching at a coaching class for CLAT (Common Law Admission Test - the Indian equivalent of LSAT ).
• Part-time content writing for websites (including the blog of an online retailer).
• Headed the book clubs on sci-fi and fantasy literature and organized intra-college crossword tournaments.
• In the organization committee of an inter-law school sports festival organized by our law school.

b) Post College:
• Mentoring a financially disadvantaged teenager with an NGO.
• Handled the CSR activity of a listed company in Indore with a friend by creating a plan for manufacturing low-cost sanitary napkins for distribution in Indore to disadvantaged women.

c) Office participation:
• Part of the team which suggests ideas and drives the updating of the technological systems within the workplace for increased productivity.
• Regularly conduct workshops in the office on sexual harassment at the workplace.

Do I stand a chance at INSEAD with my profile? I identify my major flaws as (i) not very high GMAT score, (ii) an unbalanced GMAT score, and (iii) not securing very high grades during my undergrad.

Thanks to whoever is kind enough to evaluate my profile!

Dear LadyGaladriel,

You have some good career progression and there is a lot of aspects of your profile which add great value are client management, experience in working with
marquee clients and good work on extracurricular activities.

As far as INSEAD is concerned - applying as an Indian applicant you are competing with people who are applying with very high GMAT scores. To derisk that it would be good if you apply with a strong GMAT Score. If you look at their average too more than 50% of the class has more than 700+ on the GMAT.

The average ranges from 670-750.

They do value people with international experience a lot, however not having international experience doesn't forbid you from an admit. It will be extremely important for
you to showcase your profile well in your essays.

Regards,
Shree
Re: Profile Evaluation (INSEAD): Indian F 26, Corporate Lawyer (GMAT 710)   [#permalink] 25 May 2019, 02:23

Profile Evaluation (INSEAD): Indian F 26, Corporate Lawyer (GMAT 710)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto