Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation (low GPA, 720 GMAT, attorney) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hk0620 wrote:
Hi Linda, could I get an evaluation on my background please?

31 asian-american male
UG GPA: 2.86 (I'm pretty concerned about this), B.S. in managerial economics from UC Davis. Had an upward trend in GPA during my final two years of school due to me switching majors from bio-chem.
Law School GPA: 3.25 from a decent, but not great regional school (ranked around 50 nationally)
GMAT: 720 (49Q, 40V), 6.0AWA, 8.0 IR
Target Schools: USC F/T, UCLA P/T, NYU P/T. Applying R1 or R2 to all schools.

I worked in finance for a year after college and decided to go to law school. After graduating law school, I worked as in house counsel for 1 year at an online media company. Since then and for the past 3 years, I've been working as a regulatory compliance lawyer, assisting banks, lenders, and finance companies with issues in commercial and consumer lending. I'm planning on going to business school to begin a career in consulting, but would like to continue working in my current field, just on the business side rather than the legal side.

1. What do you think my chances are for getting into each of the schools I listed? Ideally, I'd like to attend USC F/T or UCLA P/T. However, if USC F/T is a stretch, I'd rather apply to the P/T program as a safety.

2. Will my experience as an attorney be a positive factor in admissions? I've heard mixed opinions on how adcoms view lawyers (eg: some are skeptical as to why they're going back to school, others feel they bring diversity to the classroom, etc.)

3. Nothing I can do about my UG GPA. Will my law school GPA help to counterbalance my lower UG GPA?

4. Anything you recommend that I do to help my chances? Any other schools you suggest I apply to?

Thanks in advance for your advice! It's much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Hi Linda,

Sorry, your feedback didn't seem to appear with your post. Did you have any comments regarding my profile?

Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hk0620 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
hk0620 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Sorry, your feedback didn't seem to appear with your post. Did you have any comments regarding my profile?

Thanks!

Sorry about that. I did respond. Who well. Here goes for Take 2. To answer your questions:

1. I think your have a decent shot at USC FT and are competitive there, but you're also not a shoe-in. Make sure you address the low undergrad GPA in your app.
2. I think both reactions are valid. You will have to make clear why you need an MBA, given the JD. All applicants have to address [ url=https://www.accepted.com/mba/goalsessay.aspx]this question[/url], but those with advanced degrees have to work a little harder to do so well.
3. A little, but not much. Frankly, a 3.25 isn't a great GPA on the graduate level. It's good. It's respectable, but it's not great.
4. I wrote a short book on how to present yourself in an application. For general advice I would direct you to that book. Nothing specific jumps out at me in what you wrote above, except you didn't mention extra-curriculars or community service at all. Don't make your app all about work.

Best,
Linda

Thanks for your advice and the link to your book, Linda! It really has some great reviews on Amazon, and I think I'll pick up a copy on my Kindle for more information on how to put together my apps.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot