Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 670 Q32 V49
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation, Male, Peru, 670 GMAT - Requesting Advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Carlos,
Congrats on your offers! That is totally awesome news & I'm so happy for you! You are in a great position in terms of decisions to make. In terms of how to decide, here are some top-line thoughts: Duke is definitely known as the more international school compared to UVA, and that might help you in your goals (i.e. having access to a more international alumni network). UVA is also known for having a very heavy workload, which can make it tougher to do as much outside of the classroom -- and so much of the value of b-school is the chance to participate in clubs and conferences when you're not studying or in class. You not only gain access to lots of great networking through those types of activities but it will also help you form stronger bonds with your classmates, and therefore help you graduate with access to an alumni network who you feel really connected to.

They are both awesome schools though & you really can't go wrong with either one. Both schools are very similar in terms of starting salaries and percent of students employed at graduation. In addition to the points above, I'd consider which one has classes that feel like the most unique fit for your skill gaps and your post-MBA goals and also the employment activity you're seeing for your target industry & companies. In other words, are the companies you want to work for coming on campus & hiring grads?

Finally, I'd consider whether or not you feel a stronger cultural fit with one school vs. the other. So much of the value of b-school are the connections you make, and you will be best positioned to make those connections if you really click with your classmates & with the culture!

Congrats again & yes of luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your kind response!
It's certainly a great position to be, and a tough decision! I feel very lucky, and I am advancing on learning the most I can to take the best decision. As an update to this, I had a great interview with Cornell, and I am hopeful to have great news from there too, although I know it will be difficult to be granted a scholarship.

I agree with you on the advantages that being in b-school will give to me by joining some out-of-clasroom activities. I am a bit more convinced on joining Duke because of the brand strength and the great community, but surely UVA and Cornell are opportunities not to pass by.

Even though I want to stay in the US after graduating, working in tech, I certainly want to explore living in Europe o returning to Latam after some years, and for that, I believe that Duke may help more than the other schools.

I will let you know about my decision, and thank you again for your valuable advice.

Best,

Carlos Augusto Tinoco
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'm glad to hear the interview at Cornell went well! Of the 3, my recommendation would still be Duke. They are all awesome schools but Duke tends to be consistently ranked a bit higher & have the strongest brand of the 3. You are definitely in a great position! Congrats again & best of luck to you!
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts