Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink]
Let me start with what is going against you so that you may work on and hopefully, this will help you with your application. Unfortunately, you belong to an over represented demographic and your competition will have excellent stats. There are many Indian/IT/Male folks out there, the challenge for you will be to differentiate yourself from your competition. For that you'll need to do a lot of introspection and effort to build a personal branding strategy that brings some unique factor - In B-school speak you need to build competitive advantage by differentiating yourself. Until you are able to do that any top school is going to be a stiff ask based on the information you've provided.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Irfan,

Thanks a lot for the review. Just to clarify, in terms of profile, I was not involved in the IT aspect, I used to work on active deals and have attended quite some client meetings and taken part (albeit small) in some major deals. If you would be so kind so as to advise if there is any particular area that I should be looking to highlight in my essay, I shall be very grateful.

Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

Arpan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The deal experience is a good start. If its a transnational deal that's even better ( then you can demonstrate you're global exposure here). Admissions officers are interested in knowing you the person and your unique experiences. More importantly how have those unique experiences shaped your personal and professional attributes. In an admissions essay you combine all these experiences/accomplishments to build a theme ( a story line) , you use that story line in a strategically smart manner.
For example, I have a lot of leadership and managerial experience in sales and I have leveraged that sales experience to do funding raising for an NGO.
Another one : I am working on environment related CSR initiatives at my work place and I may have a deep personal concern for the environment, so most of my activities outside of work a dedicated to this cause. You can demonstrate this in your essays, resume and the admissions interview.
In this manner your attributes are being expressed in your day job and what you do outside as well. One important thing to note that you shouldn't over do it i.e. if you wear many hats such as Manager, Community service volunteer and political campaign worker, be sure to use only those attributes that tie in to your overall theme, so that these attributes are being expressed in a strategically smart manner. The strategy that I talked about can be termed as a personal branding strategy where you market your strengths (build a profile around them) demonstrate your accomplishments and community service experience that refer back (in a subtle way) to these strengths. One activity that you may want do is to write down all your big accomplishments and strengths on a piece of paper and see if you can build a story line around them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot Irfan, thats really very helpful.....in terms of deal experience I was involved only in transnational deals (like the IPO of Samsonite that happened last year) :) so, I will try to build around that....one final question...I am not very strong on the CSR front....I mean that I used to be the all Asia ambassador for Teri (Tata Energy Research Institute) in lieu of a top 4 finish in their global environment quiz but that was a long time ago post which I have had no active CSR contribution....can this be a potential pitfall or can I work around it if I can highlight some of my other strengths. Thanks a lot again, your advice has been really great.

Regards,

Arpan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I used CSR as an example. In your case, use old experiences as an example ONLY if its relevant (i.e like a 80% hit) to your overall storyline, but you'll be at a risk because something that happened four years ago has lost a lot of luster. On the other hand, community service is something that one can always improve upon, but don't start community service work right before your application it gives a out a negative vibe (not cool at all) to the adcom. There is another test called the so what test . For any accomplishment that you want add to your story line ask your self.... so what ? (this could be professional, personal or extracurricular) If I add this to my application so what ?
Additionally, you may want to leave out a 4 year old accomplishment from your essays, but you can always throw it into your resume or when the interviewer really presses for more info, you may pull this one out as well, but remember for resume or interview you must use the STAR technique when you mention any activity. (SITUATION, TASK, ACTION, RESULT)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot Irfan....thats great help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Finance / General
 Q48  V35
WE 1: Siemens; 5 yrs
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

I need a frank opinion on whether should I apply for the top 15 univs in US. My profile :

GMAT : 1st attempt in October 2011 : 680; Q 48, V35
2nd attempt in June 2012 : 740; Q 49, V42

Work Ex : 5 yrs experience with Siemens Power Engg Ltd. as a Mechanical Turbine design engineer. I can show a decent (not extravagant) progress and professional achievements. But I do not have any international professional experience or exposure.

Education (Weakest area of my profile) : B.Tech : CGPA : 6.03 on 10. I can show plenty of extracurricular in college.
12 th : 72%; 10th : 70.2%

Other achievements : Member of winning team of the Space settlement design competition at Kennedy Space Centre, Florida in 2004.
Cleared CFA Level-1 in June 2011.

Pls let me know your frank opinion regarding my chances at the top 15 American univs. Also I would appreciate any suggestions on some good univs across the globe within my reach. I will also be trying for ISB and any suggestions from you guys for ISB would be most appreciated.

Thanks !

Varun
GMAT Club Bot