Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
arian75 wrote:
Taget schools:
HBS,Wharton,Kellogs,ross,UNC,Kelly,Krannert...in descending order preferably

Mba after Phd? Are u nuts?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation Please- MBA after PhD [#permalink]
arian75 wrote:
I had posted this in GMAT forum but no one replied,hence I am posting in this forum.
*Phd(agriculture) pursuing GPA 3.35/4.0
M.S 7.41/10 (equi 3.6 / 4)
B.S 7.51/10 (eqiv 3.61 / 4).
*Work experience 2.5 years in industry as market and product development officer.high acheiver during the span of two years.
*lot of social work during job and college(as my job involved technical know how to farmers)
*Leadership in farming community.Involved in progressive farmers clubs and co-operatives.
*Extra curricular and sports at college.

I am planning for an MBA after my PhD.I dont see much people here going for the same.My inclination is towards industry/enterpreneurship.
If I manage to get a 700+ in GMAT,does this profile good enough to apply to top 10 schools.Is my GPA at lower end?
Do you think the uniqueness in profile has some advantage,as I have seen Business schools always look for diversity.Please give some insight on this.
Thanks

arian75,

Certainly your farming background and PhD will help you stand out from other applicants, but you have the large challenge of explaining (a) why you need a third postgraduate degree, (b) why you earned a PhD if you need an MBA (what happened to make you think you need an MBA?), and (c) how you have the business experience and leadership profile that B-schools require if you have been working on a PhD for the past few years. This last issue is the big hurdle to me: B-schools value work experience, leadership, and impact and it's hard for students to show that. The fact that you are 32 increases your challenge because at that age the top schools expect to see formal managerial roles and substantial business impact, and your age raises the question of whether you are a 'degree collector.'

HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, and Ross are not doable. If you compellingly address all the doubts I raised above then it's possible that UNC, Kelly, or Krannert might admit you.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear Paul,
First of all many thanks for your reply and the concern you have shown in my profile.Yes,I do agree it would be difficult to convince the adcom "why MBA?" question.I know it would be hard to get into HBS,wharton etc. with this profile,but I do know some Phd's who were able to make to wharton.So your concern regarding the top 5 school discouraged me little bit.Wharton do have couple of PhD's admitted in their MBA programme, and,some who were fresh Phd's.Also some doing MBA's are working on their third masters degree.

As you have said "degree collector",so do you suggest that I should have some more experience before thinking for big school or I should do an executive MBA after having couple of years experience? I am really motivated to do an MBA even after all odds in my profile,since I find that to be driving me more that academics.Although I have only 2.5 years of experience,but it had tremendous impact on the community I worked with,and,that I can show in my essays.

My long term goal is to establish a Agriculture research based company,hence I was interested in PhD before doing an business degree.I hope if I make my point clear,then there are chances of me getting the green signal. I know there is no simple formula for getting into business school,but given my profile what additional requirements you see are missing for getting into big 10 schools.
Thanks for your concern
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
arian75 wrote:
Dear Paul,
First of all many thanks for your reply and the concern you have shown in my profile.Yes,I do agree it would be difficult to convince the adcom "why MBA?" question.I know it would be hard to get into HBS,wharton etc. with this profile,but I do know some Phd's who were able to make to wharton.So your concern regarding the top 5 school discouraged me little bit.Wharton do have couple of PhD's admitted in their MBA programme, and,some who were fresh Phd's.Also some doing MBA's are working on their third masters degree.

As you have said "degree collector",so do you suggest that I should have some more experience before thinking for big school or I should do an executive MBA after having couple of years experience? I am really motivated to do an MBA even after all odds in my profile,since I find that to be driving me more that academics.Although I have only 2.5 years of experience,but it had tremendous impact on the community I worked with,and,that I can show in my essays.

My long term goal is to establish a Agriculture research based company,hence I was interested in PhD before doing an business degree.I hope if I make my point clear,then there are chances of me getting the green signal. I know there is no simple formula for getting into business school,but given my profile what additional requirements you see are missing for getting into big 10 schools.
Thanks for your concern

arian75,

I recommend that you emphasize any experience you have, academic or otherwise, that shows you as a leader and shows you as understanding and handling business issues. Accentuate your 2.5 years of work experience in your community. If you believe you can do this effectively in your essays and reco letters with the non-classroom experience that you have currently then go ahead and apply now, but understand how very, very competitive the top schools are.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear Paul:
Thanks for your reply
I am not concerned about getting into big shot school as HBS/Wharton.Also it depends on my GMAT scores.I might be targeting schools ranked 15-25.such as UNC,Kelly,Krannert,Fisher etc. So even then it would be difficult with this profile..Also if I want to get some financial assistantship,then what do you think about that..does the profile have less chances?

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
arian75 wrote:
Dear Paul:
Thanks for your reply
I am not concerned about getting into big shot school as HBS/Wharton.Also it depends on my GMAT scores.I might be targeting schools ranked 15-25.such as UNC,Kelly,Krannert,Fisher etc. So even then it would be difficult with this profile..Also if I want to get some financial assistantship,then what do you think about that..does the profile have less chances?

Thanks

arian75,

Many schools provide financial assistance. If you need a lot of financial assistance to attend then your best chances are at schools where your profile is better than their average profile (i.e., they will be more generous because they want you to come).

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,thank you
SVP
SVP