Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Wonderful! We'd love to work with you.

Best,
Linda

missxmelon wrote:
Thanks Linda for the great advice! I'll check out those resources, and I'll be reaching out when I'm ready to apply.

Accepted.com wrote:
missxmelon wrote:
Hi. I am looking to apply either Fall 2013 for 2014 matriculation or Fall 2014 for 2015 matriculation.

Background
Asian Female / 22 (Will be 23 by Fall 2013 / 24 by Fall 2014)

GMAT
750 (Q49, V44), 98th percentile

Education
Graduated in three years from Rice University ('11)
GPA: 3.56 GPA
Double Major: Mathematical Economic Analysis and German Studies

Extracurricular
In college: Copy editor for the university newspaper, tutor for the German Studies Department, women's singles player for intramural tennis.
Post college: Volunteer with non-profit that helps financially disadvantaged high school students get into / prepare for college and land internships and jobs. Mentor and recruiter at work.

Work Experience
Two years at a top implementation management consulting firm (Accenture/Deloitte). Finance projects at Fortune 500 Energy clients (no strategy work). Recently promoted. High performance with excellent recommendations from executives.

Certifications
None

Target Programs
Top 20

Questions

The main reason I'm interested in applying in Fall 2013 is because I have the best shot at getting a scholarship from my firm that would fully cover my MBA.

1. I want to sign up for a pro bono project for a non-profit (through my firm). However, in this situation I would have to delay applying until Fall 2014. Do you recommend doing this (i.e. would this heavily bolster my application)?

2. I'm a little below the average age of applicants. Does that put me at a disadvantage? It's another reason why I'm considering applying in Fall 2014.

3. Do I need more work experience? Again, if I apply in Fall 2014, I will have three years of work experience.

4. What schools do I have a shot at?

5. What should my application strategy be?

Many thanks.

1. I'm not sure if the non-profit assignment would improve your chances significantly. You already have a very impressive profile. If your firm will pay now for you to attend and wouldn't pay after you spend a year at a NFP, it may make sense to grab the opportunity now. On the other hand, if you really want to do the NFP job and this is a great opportunity for you to get off the professional treadmill for a year, you're young and probably should grab the chance to do something a little different.
2. It's a disadvantage, but you will be applying with at least 3 years of work experience at matriculation. You will need to show maturity and self-awareness, and aim for programs that are friendlier to those with a little less experience.
3. More work experience is not required. Again, you are the kind of younger/less experienced applicant schools want to accept. You have accomplished a lot. You have had leadership experience. You have participated in the community. And you appear to have excelled in several areas. However, the only way to know for sure, is to apply. There is no downside (other than time and cost) to apply in 2013. If rejected, you simply reapply and you will magically be a year older and a year more experienced. If you get in earlier, great.
4. Stanford, CMU Tepper, Darden, HBS, Columbia, Chicago, UCLA.
5. That's a little tough to answer in a forum post. Actually, half my book, MBA Admission for Smarties, is devoted to developing an MBA application strategy. (The other half is on implementing it.) I'm not unbiased, but I do recommend it. :-)

You may also be interested in:
*MBA Application Strategy
* Advice for Younger Applicants

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]